Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was the panel when someone asked them that question and it's been a while, but I think it was because they thought the game was all over the place with its sense of scale, characters, and fights. I don't really know why they had an issue with that, but it's mostly Pat and Woolie who are vocal about it. It probably doesn't help that Gurren-Lagann is one of their favorite things and they think it cribs from it, which it kinda does, but eh.

havenwaters posted:

It was billed as character action. It ended up being QTE fun times.

It absolutely was not. From day one that thing was a QTE-fest rivalled only by God of War and even looked like God of War in the early stages. That game almost never had gameplay shown for it until it was like months from release and by then everyone wised up to it being a lovely QTE game. I actually thought the game was gonna be garbage, watched it YouTube and ended up loving a lot of the story, music, and characters, so YMMV on that, but it was never billed as a stylish action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Why do they all hate Asura's Wrath so much?

Because Asuras wrath thinks that it can make up for being a non-game QTE by pretending to be hype, keeping the actual ending behind a DLC and the fact that it has no way of making the player feel any bit of the escalation. When you contrast that with the absolutely mind blowing hypeness of Wonderful 101 it makes it even worse in comparison.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
God, Gurren Lagann is old as poo poo now I realized

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It's just that, for as much as they don't like Heavy Rain, calling something a bad version of Heavy Rain is really weird. I thought there was more to it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Beef Chief posted:

It absolutely was not. From day one that thing was a QTE-fest rivalled only by God of War and even looked like God of War in the early stages. That game almost never had gameplay shown for it until it was like months from release and by then everyone wised up to it being a lovely QTE game. I actually thought the game was gonna be garbage, watched it YouTube and ended up loving a lot of the story, music, and characters, so YMMV on that, but it was never billed as a stylish action game.

I stand corrected. Swear I remember Pat or something giving that as a reason for them not liking it or "We thought it was character action, it's not. gently caress this game."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

It's just that, for as much as they don't like Heavy Rain, calling something a bad version of Heavy Rain is really weird. I thought there was more to it.

I think it's weird to say a game with attempted rape, active lying to the player, and a million not endings is somehow better than a game that at worse has a hot springs scene where a dude gets drunk and tries to grab titties. The ending being locked behind DLC sucks too, but it's loving worth the price of admission.

havenwaters posted:

I stand corrected. Swear I remember Pat or something giving that as a reason for them not liking it or "We thought it was character action, it's not. gently caress this game."

I mean that might've been their reason, but they're kind of wrong to think it. The game always had like 30 million qtes in every trailer that showed it and the gameplay looked like mediocre beat 'em up fair all of the time, so it just seems really obvious they were trying to hide how little they put into the actual game.

Tae posted:

Yeah, it's weird.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I always saw the ending DLC as "oh gently caress we were planning for a sequel but the game tanked, get the plot out there so people can play it while we have the chance!" Like the ending to the main game comes across as a sequel hook more than anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah, the actual disc of the game is full so they had to put it as DLC. It's pretty hosed that they charged for it nonetheless, but whatever. Capcom had pretty terrible business practices circa 2012 and 13, it's hardly surprising.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
woolie is crazy spice, the lost spice girl

add it to the lore

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Beef Chief posted:

Nah, the actual disc of the game is full so they had to put it as DLC.

Did this come across in an interview or something? Or did people just figure that out naturally by looking at the game's size? I'd love to read it if it's the former.

I actually tried looking for a ton of interviews before that post of mine because I could have sworn "sequel hook" was the reason but couldn't find anything on it and assumed I made it up at some point.

That said I bought the game on release and never felt that I had been shortchanged for the experience, so I didn't really care that they gave me more cool fights for the ~$7 or however much it was.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
What's a good dubbed anime I can watch to feel like I fit in with you cool kids who are "with it" on anime?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

hubris.height posted:

What's a good dubbed anime I can watch to feel like I fit in with you cool kids who are "with it" on anime?

Well the old standby of 10 years ago is Cowboy Bebop.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hubris.height posted:

Baccano

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

JoJo is getting a dubbed release later this year. Or stop being illiterate and watch it all on Crunchyroll.

Panty and Stocking with Garderbelt is great and has one of the best dubs.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

There's a real cool anime called Bible Black

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phantasium posted:

Did this come across in an interview or something? Or did people just figure that out naturally by looking at the game's size? I'd love to read it if it's the former.

I actually tried looking for a ton of interviews before that post of mine because I could have sworn "sequel hook" was the reason but couldn't find anything on it and assumed I made it up at some point.

That said I bought the game on release and never felt that I had been shortchanged for the experience, so I didn't really care that they gave me more cool fights for the ~$7 or however much it was.

People looked at the disc and sort of just put two and two together. It's very possible that they always intended for it to be DLC, but it really feels like the game actually needs it and it doesn't feel like it's tacked on. If you exclude the sequel hook, it flows seamlessly. There's also the fact they had it made well in advance and could not put it out as a response to bad sales. We won't really ever know if it was meant to be DLC or not from the start, but they always intended for it to be one game.

The Street Fighter DLC though, that poo poo had dlc written all over it and was very clearly planned to be from its creation.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Asura's Wrath's story has issues with pacing. It opens with a grandiose super battle with demigods fighting a legion of demons and monsters in the space above the earth, but then you immediately get flung to Earth and have to tussle with these garbage tier low level enemies for a few chapters. Standard video game stuff, but then you build up to the fight with Wyzen, which is a big spectacular battle and then get clowned by Yasha and get your hype snuffed out as you go back to fighting chumps again for awhile. When you finally get back to appropriate hype levels during the Augus fight the rest of the game is fine, but up until then it's really weird and frustrating. That said I still like it, and I absolutely understand the zaibatsu's issues, but I feel like they're a bit too harsh on it.

This is all ignoring the gameplay of course. The "character action" sequences are really basic and lame and barely worth referring to as character action, hence the quotes. The paint-the-target shooty bits are alright. There are way too many QTEs but the ones that are done well are pretty cool. But it's not really a game you play for the gameplay, which is a really stupid sentence but you know what I mean.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

WWZ is pretty poorly written and has a lot of dumb loving poo poo in it (otaku becoming a katana master, cliche blind monk wandering around with a sword, everything involving the celebrities holed up in a mansion, the North Korea section impling that the juche ideal would not overwhelm the zombies and covert them to the cause)

That third part may have been wasted potential but those first two are nowhere near the worst thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

hubris.height posted:

Asura's Wrath

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Genocyber posted:

Asura's Wrath

gently caress you, I was gonna say this.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'd be interested in a DmC LP.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have really high hopes for this RE3 playthrough. RE3 is criminally underrated and Pat forgetting just enough is going to make this a blast as Matt laughs at his fuckups. I'm really excited!!!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Compendium posted:

I'd be interested in a DmC LP.

Everything that could possibly be said has been, it died, we won, we can let it go.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, DmC LP just sort of feels like a dead horse at this point. Maybe one or two years ago woulda been a good time, but now it's just kinda dead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Devil May Cry 2 LP

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

Devil May Cry 2 LP

Now THIS has potential

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Devil May Cry 2 LP

There ya go.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

unmodded dmc3 pc lp

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

1 would also be fine. My first and only DMC for along time was 3 special edition, then DmC, then currently DmC4.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DMC4:SE Vergil is fantastic, might be my favorite character action character. Sadly his campaign is basically no cutscenes and 100% gameplay, so I don't know if that would translate to a good LP, but Woolie was right, the hype is real.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Thanks for the suggestions. I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy, and what I've watched of Jojo I like. But I'm mostly doing other stuff while I watch things and like to have english voices. I'll wait for the Jojo dub to finish.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

unmodded dmc3 pc lp

They wouldn't be able to play it due to nobody having a Logitech QR59wqperwep pc controller from 17 years ago to play it on. God that thing is a mess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Asura's Wrath has outstanding character design, beautiful music, a sometimes generic but still mostly awesome story, often great self-awareness, ridiculous scale and boss fights, and horribly bland, nearly nonexistent gameplay most of the time. This last part drags down everything good about it.

I would buy a DVD of it recut as a show, yeah. And certain moments were way better than similar moments in Gurren Lagann. The final battle against the dlc boss where you mess him up so badly that his QTE inputs start appearing onscreen and he starts missing them was a brilliant move.

hubris.height posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy, and what I've watched of Jojo I like. But I'm mostly doing other stuff while I watch things and like to have english voices. I'll wait for the Jojo dub to finish.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann fo sho

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Captain Invictus posted:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann fo sho

Idk if Gurren is a good pick for putting on in the background because it's so sick you want to devote your full attention to it.

I'd recommend Cromartie High School.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tae posted:

I recently finished the series and wow, you can see the budget just fly away for huge periods of time

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I remember people saying 40% of the show's entire budget went into the final 4 episodes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TriffTshngo posted:

I'd recommend Cromartie High School.

Everyone should watch Cromartie.

And if you have watched it, rewatch it. It's even funnier than you remember.

Also, Gundam Zeta. Watch Zeta. All of you. Why are you reading this and not watching Zeta.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Everyone should watch Cromartie.

And if you have watched it, rewatch it. It's even funnier than you remember.

Also, Gundam Zeta. Watch Zeta. All of you. Why are you reading this and not watching Zeta.

I've watched Zeta. I've even watched DOUBLE ZETA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

beep by grandpa posted:

I remember people saying 40% of the show's entire budget went into the final 4 episodes.

Yup