Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Wade Wilson posted:

I've been sending my Erie out on waypoint runs with the Map and somehow or other having some pretty fun rail-riding games.

Set a path that goes to the cap or the first domination point, then have the remaining 4 points doubling back on a line inside the cap/going to each domination point in turn. Shoot at any enemies spotted. Die and/or have a glorious match in the confusion. Re-set the waypoints if I survive long enough/the match lasts long enough to need it.

Granted, this is Tier 1 where everyone is dumb, but it's still good for practicing leading targets while the ship is going through a turn and shooting over the tops of islands at enemies within range.

ditto about the bad habits. Get to tier 3 and start flailing around there, chikumas and chesters is its own little microcosm. If it's like tanks it's ok to be poo poo for 5000 battles or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Pubbies are so bad I managed to get 'Surprise Attack' (10 torp hits) done in 3 games with Sims :v: Finale was an Aoba trying to chase me around a small island, and I just pooped torp when he was around corner at 2.5 km. Devastating Strike.

e: tbh don't try doing that mission with Sims. It's nightmare.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 23, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'll guard the carrier in my DD for a little bit if my friend is playing the carrier, just doing a quick sweep around checking for DDs that get past the initial scrum and go for him and letting people get stuck in and distracted before I sail up to begin Operation Dickstab.

Works best in US DDs, since the guns will destroy other DDs really well and they need the enemy to be stuck in and busy to properly stab them in the dick. The IJN DDs are great fun, but I love the US ones for the sheer number of tubes they've got and how great that makes a death or glory sprint from behind an island.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hazdoc posted:

Fun fact (and maybe I should have mentioned this earlier)
Pressing Q or E will cause your ship to start turning in 1/2 and full rudder to port and starboard. One press of Q is half to port, 2 presses is full to port. Manually adjusting your rudder will reset this back to neutral position. Using these keys allows you to only have to press a key once or twice to enter a turn, then go back to focusing on shooting things. Just make sure not to forget you're turning and turn too far!

This also allows you to keep more speed in a turn (using half rudder).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So when does Bismark come out so I can keep it in my hangar and admire at how poop it is? :allears:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
According to the in-game clock I have just spent eight minutes and a handful of seconds steaming at full speed towards the enemy before I made range to fire my guns in the New Mexico. This isn't a design decision which motivates me to play your game, WG.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

According to the in-game clock I have just spent eight minutes and a handful of seconds steaming at full speed towards the enemy before I made range to fire my guns in the New Mexico. This isn't a design decision which motivates me to play your game, WG.

Was this the ice map? If it wasn't, oh boy, the ice map.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's why you have two monitors.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Hazdoc posted:

Fun fact (and maybe I should have mentioned this earlier)
Pressing Q or E will cause your ship to start turning in 1/2 and full rudder to port and starboard. One press of Q is half to port, 2 presses is full to port. Manually adjusting your rudder will reset this back to neutral position. Using these keys allows you to only have to press a key once or twice to enter a turn, then go back to focusing on shooting things. Just make sure not to forget you're turning and turn too far!

Importantly it allows you to consistantly use half rudder so that you can menouver somewhat but also not always outpace your guns tracking (looking at you Furutaka).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

yaay posted:

the official forums are tanks circa 2011 before the 45% always shoot HE Play4Fun brigade got shot down by wotlabs type posters. It looks like they bought into the ships beta en masse so they could make a save haven for their bad opinions and now they're lamenting how terrible the game is now that other people who might possibly care about playing well and winning can take part.

The alpha forum was flooded with posts about "toxic" players, mostly self-congratulatory posting about how nontoxic the anime avatar brigade were. Hilariously, those same forum posters tried to ostracize anyone they didn't like by calling them toxic over and over every time they showed up. I mostly avoided the alpha forums, but I got accused of being toxic for sinking enemy ships several times.
Most of those people are bad players with FOG usernames now.

Boats has a fair amount of those lovely players who left tanks because of "rigged mm and XVM hackers". Congratulating some random player on their 41% win rates and 500 wn8 usually gets results.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

demonR6 posted:

Have to check when I'm home and can get in the account. Wasn't a whole lot but still I got tired of eating the bill mostly.

Haven't played this game in two weeks, but I've gotten lots of use out of your server for this game and others. Just paid for 6 months. Thanks for setting this up and maintaining it for however long you've been doing it (a long time).

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
so any goon presence on the EU server or is it mainly NA?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Aesis posted:

Pubbies are so bad I managed to get 'Surprise Attack' (10 torp hits) done in 3 games with Sims :v: Finale was an Aoba trying to chase me around a small island, and I just pooped torp when he was around corner at 2.5 km. Devastating Strike.

e: tbh don't try doing that mission with Sims. It's nightmare.

Get a minekaze or isokaze and finish the mission in one game!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Omaha is garbage. THERE I SAID IT (I have no upgrades on it)

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
Sup.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
sky cancer doesn't cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooount

SKY CANCERRR

wow thats not a whole lot of torpedo hits for 8 kills, I presume you burned a lot of nerds to death
i can respect that

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

Haven't played this game in two weeks, but I've gotten lots of use out of your server for this game and others. Just paid for 6 months. Thanks for setting this up and maintaining it for however long you've been doing it (a long time).

Thank you kind goon. Sometimes I wondered if anyone cared if it was up or not because most of the comments have been "why don't people use X or Y server". I propped this one up because we had our own, it vanished and after going to a couple of the other servers they didn't feel like home. Our server for the most part has a do as you will within reason policy and has been fine that way for a couple of years now. I have always left it open to new games as well so it is not limited to WoT, WoWS and now Armored Warfare.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Junkozeyne posted:

so any goon presence on the EU server or is it mainly NA?

On and off on the EU servers. We're mostly using the 2PAC teamspeak server and have a chat channel in-game.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I got the langley to gently caress around with carriers a little, but i'm not sure how it works, i upgraded the aircraft and the hull, but i can only launch one wing of fighters and bombers? i have like 9 of each type stored, are they only for repairs?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is the Furutaka getting buffed any time soon? Playing it is a cruel joke.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PirateBob posted:

You think Wargaming buffs/nerfs things. How adorable.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fizzil posted:

I got the langley to gently caress around with carriers a little, but i'm not sure how it works, i upgraded the aircraft and the hull, but i can only launch one wing of fighters and bombers? i have like 9 of each type stored, are they only for repairs?

They are to replace lost planes. Each carrier has a limit to how many squadrons of what planes it can take. Better Carriers carry more squadrons and more replacement planes.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You think Wargaming buffs/nerfs things. How adorable.

They do though.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hazdoc posted:

Haha holy poo poo. First win, but holy shiiiiiiiiit

The Aoba hits like a loving truck, with torps and with guns. Neither of those Devastating Strike ribbons were from my torpedoes. I got a 5 citadel broadside on an enemy Aoba, getting one of my 2 devastating strikes (the other was an HE salvo on a DD for a swift kill). My jaw nearly hit the floor. I fired ONE gun that was aimed at a phoenix, and both shells hit for a double citadel. This boat exceeded my every expectation. Pissing around with the Mutsuki's upgraded torps/Hatsharu's stock torps just makes it even better, even if the firing arc is garbage. This boat is 100% kill. I want to citadel a Cleveland now.
The only drawback is the 6 guns means its harder to HE burn down BB's.

Panfilo posted:

They are to replace lost planes. Each carrier has a limit to how many squadrons of what planes it can take. Better Carriers carry more squadrons and more replacement planes.
They will never balance carriers. Right now they are like WoT arty that fires 4 shells at once, can do so while moving 40kph, never have to fear rushing light tanks and have the HPs on medium tanks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PirateBob posted:

The gun upgrade that decreases its reload time to 16 seconds makes it a bit more bearable, but yeah it's all around pretty drat rough. The guns have decent penetration, at least, so you can usually roll with AP against other cruisers from longer ranges than usual.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ranger seems by far the worst US carrier. What is puzzling is that it's air defense setup has 2/0/2. So I've more dive bomber squadron over the Independence.

This seems like crap. You'd be much better off having 3/0/1 instead. At that tier you're going to be up against IJN carriers that can throw out 3 torpedo bomber squadrons and 2 dive bomber squadrons at a time easily, if not more. You can only engage 2 of those squadrons.

Even with a US carrier, you never want all your fighters too far away. If an IJN opponent saw I had 2 fighter squadrons far out, he knows my carrier is defenseless. I'm having to pull out all the stops if a Hiryu decides he wants to knock me out first. Try to anticipate having his bomber group sneaking around, staggering my fighters to prevent both getting bogged down, all the upgrades and skills to boost my damage, staying near a friendly Cleveland, avoiding tunnel vision, etc. But it is hard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm starting to really enjoy BBs since learning to take ranging shots and get a bit closer, and figuring out where the Citadel it. The Kawachi is still like slamming your dick in a door, but the South Carolina and Wyoming are great.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I seem to have made someone very mad by making use of the mythical "border cheat". I do this like, once in a never, but this match was exceptional since I loaded in late and was pressured into the wall by a bunch of enemy BB's.

Either way, I'm a dirty cheater.

Aesis posted:

So when does Bismark come out so I can keep it in my hangar and admire at how poop it is? :allears:

I think it'll actually be pretty good. I know that it had a weird armor layout, but didn't it have really good citadel armor? And the 15-inch guns are an oddity for the tier(fifteen inch guns are not an oddity in tier 8, my idiocy strikes again, though the North Carolina's guns are just shy of 16), it can do 30 knots which puts it up there with some of the fastest IJN battleships, it has torpedo tubes...

It almost seems too good to be true, since the torpedoes give you that extra tool that can save you from situations where a destroyer goes in for a run, or a cruiser comes around an island, you unload on him but can't quite kill him, now you have those torps for knife-fights while you're reloading your big guns. Or if the armor is good, you can even be really aggressive on this ship and shotgun other battleships. It's like a super, mega-fat destroyer with 15 inch guns that can actually take a hit! Maybe.

I wonder if the torps are going to be poo poo or the ship itself won't get a repair ability as a balancing factor or something. Maybe the rudder'll be made of paper mache and any attack bomber that manages to plink a hit on you will knock it out due to historical accuracy.

Edit: Apparently now that I've looked it up, the Bismarck never had a chance to mount her torpedo tubes. So this is not looking as good as I first thought it would.

OSad fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 23, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Filthy cheater.. what else do you do.. take advantage of the crosshairs and aim? Use ships with AA for cover?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
3 out of 4 turrets down on the Colorado.
This ship really has nothing worthwile, terrible accuracy, range, speed, hitpoints, armor and squishy turrets.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Holy poo poo, my heart is still pounding from this match. Daily, but still, holy poo poo was that an adrenaline rush towards the end. :stare:

Replay:
https://www.mediafire.com/?1r2e94x1204ooio

OSad posted:

Edit: Apparently now that I've looked it up, the Bismarck never had a chance to mount her torpedo tubes. So this is not looking as good as I first thought it would.

Several of the BBs already in the game had torpedo tubes, too. They don't in-game and neither will any other battleship afaik.

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 23, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

OSad posted:

I seem to have made someone very mad by making use of the mythical "border cheat". I do this like, once in a never, but this match was exceptional since I loaded in late and was pressured into the wall by a bunch of enemy BB's.

Either way, I'm a dirty cheater.
gently caress that guy. You were angling armor and unmasking your guns as you had been doing the whole game.

Also, I am super jealous of the enemy carrier for getting the name ArmchairAdmiral. That would be terrific for herding lemmings and general trolling.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You could always rename to BackseatCommodore...

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OSad posted:

I think it'll actually be pretty good. I know that it had a weird armor layout, but didn't it have really good citadel armor? And the 15-inch guns are an oddity for the tier(fifteen inch guns are not an oddity in tier 8, my idiocy strikes again, though the North Carolina's guns are just shy of 16), it can do 30 knots which puts it up there with some of the fastest IJN battleships, it has torpedo tubes...

It almost seems too good to be true, since the torpedoes give you that extra tool that can save you from situations where a destroyer goes in for a run, or a cruiser comes around an island, you unload on him but can't quite kill him, now you have those torps for knife-fights while you're reloading your big guns. Or if the armor is good, you can even be really aggressive on this ship and shotgun other battleships. It's like a super, mega-fat destroyer with 15 inch guns that can actually take a hit! Maybe.

I wonder if the torps are going to be poo poo or the ship itself won't get a repair ability as a balancing factor or something. Maybe the rudder'll be made of paper mache and any attack bomber that manages to plink a hit on you will knock it out due to historical accuracy.

Put bluntly, no, Bismarck did not have either exceptional amounts of armor or a good layout. The fact that it took so many hits to actually sink Bismarck was just as much due to errors the British made as any aspect of its own construction. As for its competitors, North Carolina mounts significantly more armor in important places, and, while it probably has more belt armor than Amagi due to Amagi being a battlecruiser, Amagi likely still has more armor on the turrets. Even then Amagi's armor is laid out better, which can count for a lot. Another real issue is that Bismarck's deck armor is quite thin, which actually leaves it vulnerable to the same sort of shots that took out Hood.

And what do you mean about the NC not carrying 16" guns? It carried the Mk 6, which was most definitely a 16" gun. Hell, you have to go down to Tier 6 to find battleships not carrying 16" guns.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Treaty battleships are going to be tier 8s, which means some 15" armed ships and maybe a 14" armed ship.

Bismarck's "belt" is pretty good because of the heavily angled backing plate preventing close in vital shots (lol they don't happen anymore anyway), but the scheme's vulnerable as sin outside that range. Might be good in close, but then it's torp bait for destroyers.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

OSad posted:

Bismarck will probably be fine. It's realistically way outclassed by North Carolina and Amagi, but it has a lot of belt armor (in a brute force layout almost identical to the Bayern several tiers below, but still) with pretty decent secondaries and 30 knots. It's also really big compared to its likely rivals, which probably translates to a lot of health. The 15" guns are nothing special, and once France and Italy are in there'll even be more powerful 15" guns at tier 8, but they should at least reload quickly.

It's also Wargaming, and for all the Russian bias whining they've introduced/buffed an awful lot of overpowered German tanks and turned a relatively blind eye to German tanks that have been overpowered for years. From what I heard, the Germans in warplanes were very strong from the start and kept getting buffed. :v:

I guess it'll probably be a good battleship for rushing in and brawling with your fast firing guns and high health, but not very good at longer range fights.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

WG has a pretty pronounced German bias. It's not quite as bad as gaijin's arbitrarily making German ammo racks extra special and non-explodey to make up for their tank designs sucking, but it's definitely a thing.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

And what do you mean about the NC not carrying 16" guns? It carried the Mk 6, which was most definitely a 16" gun. Hell, you have to go down to Tier 6 to find battleships not carrying 16" guns.

I just converted the 406mm in the game's tooltip to inches directly on google. Supposedly 406mm is exactly 15.9843 inches, which is just shy of 16.

I have no idea how inches work though, I guess at that point you just round it up and call it 16 inches then :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

James Garfield posted:

It's also really big compared to its likely rivals, which probably translates to a lot of health

Aren't hit points already a function of displacement? Should give it marginally more health than a NC but nothing notable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I guess their pro-German bias isn't that much of a problem because the real German navy :cool: has all kinds of ships that'd actually be interesting. Even their actually built ships were good.

watch the release German tree go Nassau -> Deutschland -> P class -> Scharnhorst -> O class -> Bismarck just to pander to wehraboos