Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Listening to the Jim Sterling conversation with Digital Homicide and it's so loving :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

fruitpunch posted:

Listening to the Jim Sterling conversation with Digital Homicide and it's so loving :allears:

I could literally only make it a few minutes into that.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Samopsa posted:

This is also a good video essay series on that topic, specifically why the bulk of gamergators are angry and abusive, while not attacking them for being clearly wrong (and it's basically a podcast with some supporting images).

Yeah, this is great. I sent this to everyone of my friends who were outside of the culture and were wondering why I was freaking out on social media last fall. The guy has had no small amount of poo poo thrown at him as well because he posted a screenshot of Sargon of Something or Other's youtube channel. SoA is one of those guys like Total Biscuit where he may be polite but he doesn't mind sicking his legion of rear end in a top hat fans on someone.

Pukey pukey games culture.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Woffle posted:

Yeah, this is great. I sent this to everyone of my friends who were outside of the culture and were wondering why I was freaking out on social media last fall. The guy has had no small amount of poo poo thrown at him as well because he posted a screenshot of Sargon of Something or Other's youtube channel. SoA is one of those guys like Total Biscuit where he may be polite but he doesn't mind sicking his legion of rear end in a top hat fans on someone.

Pukey pukey games culture.

Only thing bad about watching that video series is that my recommendations on youtube are suddenly full of anti-sarkeesian / amazing atheist / sarkon whatever poo poo. I had to 'not interested' like 20 videos before loving youtube got the hint.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Samopsa posted:

This is also a good video essay series on that topic, specifically why the bulk of gamergators are angry and abusive, while not attacking them for being clearly wrong (and it's basically a podcast with some supporting images).

These are really good videos but I'd also recommend taking a look at this follow-up post about the last part where the creator reevaluates some of his advice following a Twitter conversation with Lindsay Ellis and Zoe Quinn.

(And then I'd suggest watching his videos on Phil Fish, Advanced Warfare, and the fall of the adventure game because they're really good too.)

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The new WOFF! about Spider-Man 2 just went live. Listen in for disturbing hypotheses about where scarabs come from.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/105

Up next is Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, then Zone of the Enders, and our summer RPG: Paper Mario.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Song For The Deaf posted:

The new WOFF! about Spider-Man 2 just went live. Listen in for disturbing hypotheses about where scarabs come from.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/105

Up next is Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, then Zone of the Enders, and our summer RPG: Paper Mario.

I'm not surprised you guys are doing Paper Mario. I consider it the evolution of the JRPG-- it doesn't have many of the drawbacks that other examples of the genre have.

Personally, it's one of my favourite games and I'm more hyped for this episode then I have been since first listening to the podcast.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I bought 999 last year after listening to a bunch of older Tiny Cartridge episodes, I'm finally starting it up so I can fully appreciate the upcoming WOFF. I am also playing Paper Mario and it is charming as gently caress, you would be hard pressed to find another N64 games that still holds up from a visual perspective, and that's disregarding all of the other stuff that makes it so good.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

The only problem with Paper Mario is that it's not TTYD.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Opposing Farce posted:

But it's not Super Paper Mario, so there's that.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

bobservo posted:

I could literally only make it a few minutes into that.

What was your issue? I got a very fulfilling sense of schadenfreude from the whole thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Samopsa posted:

Thanks for linking that video essay. I'm 2/3rds the way through it and it seems to be a good post-mortem. Also 100% digging that the top rated comment on the first ep is "WELL IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A BIAS" which is par for the course.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

fruitpunch posted:

What was your issue? I got a very fulfilling sense of schadenfreude from the whole thing.

The developer was just so gratingly, annoyingly WRONG right out of the gate I couldn't tolerate it.

Phone posted:

Thanks for linking that video essay. I'm 2/3rds the way through it and it seems to be a good post-mortem. Also 100% digging that the top rated comment on the first ep is "WELL IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A BIAS" which is par for the course.

Opinions with an agenda are unethical. Unlike the opinions of me, the guy who wants to prove you wrong.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

bobservo posted:

The developer was just so gratingly, annoyingly WRONG right out of the gate I couldn't tolerate it.

Let me assure you it only escalates further into a glorious crescendo of wrongness and logical fallacies.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm not surprised you guys are doing Paper Mario. I consider it the evolution of the JRPG-- it doesn't have many of the drawbacks that other examples of the genre have.

To bad it didn't inspire a revolution of the JRPG. The Paper Mario (and by extension the Mario and Luigi) series' unique brand of rhythm-based Action-Time Battle system is so good and it's tragic that I haven't seen a single other JRPG even attempt to emulate it. It's like Nintendo has a copyright on fun mechanics. (Or, the more likely explanation, that JRPG's as a whole take a dimmer view of evolution than the Creation Museum)

Besides that I could go at length about how great Paper Mario is at simplifying JRPG systems while still making them feel satisfying to play, or how neat and flexible the badge system is, or how genuinely well written it is...

And yes, the sequel is even better. Though I love them both equally with all my paper heart. :3:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Obsidian's South Park game is very obviously influenced by Paper Mario, as is the terrible Bioware Sonic JRPG for DS.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's plenty of rhythm-based jrpgs battle systems, and FF8/Legend of Dragoon pre-dated Paper Mario in that department.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

dijon du jour posted:

To bad it didn't inspire a revolution of the JRPG. The Paper Mario (and by extension the Mario and Luigi) series' unique brand of rhythm-based Action-Time Battle system is so good and it's tragic that I haven't seen a single other JRPG even attempt to emulate it.

Play Mother 3 and get back to me :cool:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

bobservo posted:

But it's not Super Paper Mario, so there's that.

This is basically heresy but I'd actually say Super Paper Mario is my favorite game in the series, and I'd argue it's better than the original Paper Mario (though it's definitely not a better game than The Thousand Year Door, I'm not completely crazy). The mechanics are novel and sound cool on paper, even if in practice they don't quite work out as well as you'd hope, but more than anything I love how weird and existential and vaguely melancholic it is. It's a flawed but strange and interesting game with a tone and story that's completely different from anything else Mario has ever touched and a lot of really great story beats, setpieces, and level concepts. The Thousand Year Door is a fantastic game that does just about everything right and is basically a masterpiece, so I kind of get why SPM has this reputation as a big disappointment next to that, but IMO SPM is still a genuinely cool game on its own merits.

The original Paper Mario is also neat game in its own right, but to me it feels a little bit 'safe' next to TTYD's madcap antics (let alone the weirdness of SPM). All of the basic ideas are there, and they work right and feel good, but in terms of tone, humor, and storytelling (and gameplay to a lesser extent) I can't help looking at it as a prototype for TTYD, sort of the more-restrained first step you need to take before you can commit to something bigger and more inventive.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tae posted:

There's plenty of rhythm-based jrpgs battle systems, and FF8/Legend of Dragoon pre-dated Paper Mario in that department.

And I've played and enjoyed both of those games. I just feel like Paper Mario took it quite a few steps further. (Then again, it has been a while since I played either. Maybe their combat was much more skill-based than I remember.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Opposing Farce posted:

Shocking confession time: I had to force myself to get as far in TTYD as I did (I think 6/7 MacGuffins or whatever), and then I consciously chose to not finish it. I thought the game was a horrible slog and not nearly as funny as Superstar Saga (which I had beaten around that time), but people seem to love it and I'm wondering what I missed. If I had the time I'd go back and replay it just to find out.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Paper Mario does the small numbers thing really well but it's such a black hole of personality compared to Superstar Saga. I wouldn't recommend anyone play the former over the latter unless they were really interested in well-executed small numbers RPGs.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Super Paper Mario plays like Nintendo made a list of everything that makes a Mario platformer good and everything that makes a Mario RPG good and very carefully made a game that didn't include anything on either of those lists.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Honestly, and I said this on air so I risk repeating myself, but I'm just glad it's not Super Mario RPG. Though Paper Mario isn't strictly a sequel, if you could consider it one, it'd be one of the biggest jumps in quality between console generations I've ever seen. SMRPG is more or less nonsensical and seems to get a lot of cred because of the novelty of controlling Mario in that genre. Paper Mario is a legit, manageable JRPG that makes me like the Marioverse more, not less (I'm looking at you Geno, you ridiculous, ugly monster).

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

bobservo posted:

Opinions with an agenda are unethical. Unlike the opinions of me, the guy who wants to prove you wrong.
Only wrong opinions have agendas and biases. I'm right, so clearly I don't have an agenda, just truth. Suck it Skeleton Warriors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Woffle posted:

Honestly, and I said this on air so I risk repeating myself, but I'm just glad it's not Super Mario RPG. Though Paper Mario isn't strictly a sequel, if you could consider it one, it'd be one of the biggest jumps in quality between console generations I've ever seen. SMRPG is more or less nonsensical and seems to get a lot of cred because of the novelty of controlling Mario in that genre. Paper Mario is a legit, manageable JRPG that makes me like the Marioverse more, not less (I'm looking at you Geno, you ridiculous, ugly monster).

Geno is pinnochio in a cape with machine guns in his elbows. What's so bad about him?

I mean his design isn't outstanding, but all the new character designs from SMRPG are pretty weird due to the odd 3D model-style they tried to go with. The game, while easy, was still fun and was an interesting first try at giving the mario world something a bit more substantial. Plus, the music was in-loving-credible.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm really excited for Paper Mario. I might go through on the Wii U Virtual Console so i can actually go through impartially since I had way too much love for this game as a kid.

Just not looking forward to the beginning of the game. The prologue is infuriatingly slow on a replay since you don't get action commands until the beginning of Chapter 1.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Geno is pinnochio in a cape with machine guns in his elbows. What's so bad about him?

I mean his design isn't outstanding, but all the new character designs from SMRPG are pretty weird due to the odd 3D model-style they tried to go with. The game, while easy, was still fun and was an interesting first try at giving the mario world something a bit more substantial. Plus, the music was in-loving-credible.

I'm not seeing what's nonsensical about that game either, unless you mean characters like Booster are too weird. It's a perfectly straightforward game that holds up really well in my opinion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not seeing what's nonsensical about that game either, unless you mean characters like Booster are too weird. It's a perfectly straightforward game that holds up really well in my opinion.

A lot of the characters, friend or foe, were weird. Cloud people, geno, booster, bowyer, most of Smithy's gang really, they all had fairly eccentric designs. Not necessarily horrible, just...weird. Especially with standard designs like bowser, mario, peach, and toad right next to them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A big main difference is that the party members in Paper Mario are members of recognizable enemy types from the games, instead of new stuff that got made up for the game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's true, but there are tons of new characters in the M&L games as well, they're just maybe less eccentric. I think that adds to the charm of SMRPG, though, it feels completely separate from the other two Mario RPG series.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if there's one thing I never understood from WOFF it was the mindboggling disgust for so many odd things in SMRPG

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
In fairness, I really like SMRPG.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I have very fond memories of SMRPG but I haven't played it since I was in like 8th grade. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it these days. Paper Mario is great though and I look forward to that episode.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Jippa posted:

I also thought the discussion on "tilting" was fascinating as well because every one knows that concept but I've never heard it given an actual name.

Beard Yawn posted:

It's a pretty common term in card games. I think I've heard it originated from tilting pinball tables, but I most closely associate it with Magic the Gathering and poker.

Mierenneuker posted:

It gets used in MOBAs frequently too, because people like to blame their teammates for everything when they really should have taken a break two losses ago.

A little late with this, but come on guys. 'Tilting' has been around for a very, very long time, even in it's most modern of usages.

Samopsa posted:

This is really, really great, thanks for linking it!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AllisonByProxy posted:

I have very fond memories of SMRPG but I haven't played it since I was in like 8th grade. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it these days.

I hadn't played it since it came out and replayed it about 2 years ago. It's fun, but shorter and shallower than I remembered, and I still can't do 100 consecutive jumps.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I hadn't played it since it came out and replayed it about 2 years ago. It's fun, but shorter and shallower than I remembered, and I still can't do 100 consecutive jumps.

The timing isn't frame perfect or anything, but the window does drift.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

What I mean by nonsensical is that it doesn't use the license very well. There are lots of trappings of Mario but the bad guy is a giant sword with a 16 Bit square plot, which doesn't feel like a Mario thing at all. My issues probably largely stem from how unreasonably ugly it is whereas Paper Mario is evergreen.

Also, Kole is right, I'm the SMRPG disliker, not he.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AllisonByProxy posted:

I have very fond memories of SMRPG but I haven't played it since I was in like 8th grade. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it these days. Paper Mario is great though and I look forward to that episode.

You can relive the wonder of a first-time blind playthrough with the Super Best Friends.

They don't learn they can run until like, episode 8 though. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwxKPL1Wq4

Their reactions to some stuff is really interesting, while other times is super frustrating. But they wound up coming away from it with a middling opinion of it. They did like a lot about it but they got the Lazy Shells(couldn't avoid spoilers after a certain point with everyone messaging them on twitter and poo poo, sadly had Culex spoiled too) and then just sleepwalked through the rest of the game

Woffle posted:

What I mean by nonsensical is that it doesn't use the license very well. There are lots of trappings of Mario but the bad guy is a giant sword with a 16 Bit square plot, which doesn't feel like a Mario thing at all. My issues probably largely stem from how unreasonably ugly it is whereas Paper Mario is evergreen.

Also, Kole is right, I'm the SMRPG disliker, not he.

But Exor isn't the boss of the Smithy Gang at allllllll! Smithy is! The plot isn't so much Square as it is saturday morning cartoon. BAD GUY WANTS TO MAKE VIOLENT WEAPON WORLD. MARIO AND FRIENDS HAVE TO STOP HIM, BECAUSE WEAPONS AND VIOLENCE ARE BAD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JFvwVnOlbM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Captain Invictus posted:

BAD GUY WANTS TO MAKE VIOLENT WEAPON WORLD. MARIO AND FRIENDS HAVE TO STOP HIM, BECAUSE WEAPONS AND VIOLENCE ARE BAD!

But if we criminalize weapons then only plumbers will have weapons.

• Locked thread