Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rincewinds posted:

Don Rosa and Carl Banks is the two I miss the most from my Donald reading days.

Still, considering that I am fairly on the left, my hero worship of Uncle Scrouge is funny in hindsight. :v:

Uncle Scrooge is a representation of Ebenezer Scrooge. He goes from being a penny pincher to being more of a philanthropist, and in several comics / episodes / games, he shows to be more interested in the well being of his family than his wealth. He's a fascinating character, and probably my favorite Disney character of all (probably because I played the crap out of the DuckTales NES game when I was a kid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

D.N. Nation posted:

Everyone knows Glenn McCoy has the moral high ground!

I love that the Marine is holding a white child. Says a lot right there.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

Don Rosa and Carl Banks is the two I miss the most from my Donald reading days.

Still, considering that I am fairly on the left, my hero worship of Uncle Scrouge is funny in hindsight. :v:

The big difference between the right and Scrooge McDuck is that unlike 90% of the right wingers wealth hoarders, Scrooge loving *earned* his fortune. He started a penniless immigrant and proceeded to scrounge, work, and make his way to become the wealthiest duck around. Yeah, he can be a bit too stingy with his money, but when someone does a good job that he needs done, he pays them fairly. There's also the cartoon where Scrooge temporarily loses his memory and is taken in by Fenton Crackshell's mother, finding out how bad the worker's situations are and getting angry and demanding the owner (Scrooge himself) give better pay and longer breaks for all the work they do. Even getting into a fight with Fenton (then disguised as the missing Scrooge McDuck)

When he regained his memories, he took his temporary return to being a penniless shmuck instead of the richest duck in the world to heart. It also marked an actual change and realization in scrooge that even the lowest person on the ladder deserves a wage that they can survive, and even enjoy themselves a bit on. He raised wages, and gave everyone better working conditions. I think that stuck with him throughout the rest of the series.

Ultimately the only problem with Scrooge McDuck is that he's a money hoarder and refuses to pay anymore than he has to for anything. Which if you take just that and compare it to the wealthy right wingers, then yeah. He does seem to be their poster boy. But he is not quite that 2D, even as a cartoon character.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 23, 2015

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Just want to give some love to Floyd Gottfredson while we're still talking about Dinsey comics for some reason.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Just want to give some love to Floyd Gottfredson while we're still talking about Dinsey comics for some reason.

needs an edit of Mickey flailing wildly at switches labeled "ECONOMY GOOD/BAD" and "GAS PRICES HIGH/LOW"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

That too. He thinks bankers are frauds who cheat and steal. He could probably double his fortune by getting into the banking business, but he doubles it anyway by hard work. And not hard work as in sitting at a desk and typing on a computer, no he's loving running around doing a lot himself.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Alien Arcana posted:

This is like the fourth or fifth cartoon with this theme that I've seen. Where the hell did this come from? How do you go from "Planned Parenthood is selling fetus parts" to "Planned Parenthood is selling fetus parts as food"?

Alien Arcana posted:

Another one! Why is "eating babies" the go-to metaphor for this? Or do all these cartoonists literally think PP is selling fetal organs to cannibals?

Snopes has you covered. Apparently it comes from "Natural News," which I think might have been linked here before.

A Rall cartoon I completely agree with. He makes a strong, valid point without being a shithead.

Okay, pack it in guys, Bob Gorrell says it won't work. Back to the drawing board. I know we call Gorrell lazy because of his art, but this proves he's also lazy in his thinking. Not even an attempt at argument, just "nuh-uh!"

quote:

"Giving Women Drugs For Sex" is pretty loving disingenuous. It's not really Rose's fault since I've seen that headline before but it still pisses me off.

I kind of get the feeling JR Rose! can't bring himself to use the word "rape." "No, no, not in the newspaper! What if the kids mistake my cartoon for the funny pages and read it by mistake?" :ohdear:

quote:

Idea for a cartoon: Lazy Donald Duck gets job creator Scrooge to pay for something and then exclaims "Gotcha!"

Donald Duck isn't lazy, he's an enlisted man in the navy! Why do you hate ARE TROOPS?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I love Donald Duck chat, but how about some cartoons?

1 Castro is so :3:

2 Bill Day tries to draw something that isn't a gun, fails horribly

4 yessss

5 enough with the boobs, Horsey heh heh

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm kind of upset there was never any controversey about his statement that we should have invaded Mexico.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Jurgan posted:

Okay, pack it in guys, Bob Gorrell says it won't work. Back to the drawing board.

The thing is, none of these cartoonists have anything new to say. They've all said what they think since the negotiations started some two and a half years ago and it hasn't changed.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If... 22-25 June

You thought we were done with parping about how great we used to be? Nope! It's the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. We're big on celebrating anniversaries of old things. It's... it's all we have.

The first strip is a visual reference to Carlile's painting of the Peterloo Massacre, which is something you should definitely read up on, especially if you're in the UK.

The last couple of strips are about the Government's plans to redefine "child poverty" in response to an anticipated increase in the measure. (When the figures were published they actually showed a slight decrease in child poverty, but to my knowledge the plans are still on track.)

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tell you what, let me just pop a quick "baby parts" on this bag, this way we all know that it's filled with baby parts.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
The Onion should just hire him, he can just continue as normal and everyone will think it's satire.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:magical:

gently caress me but I'm starting to get all the complaints about labels ITT. It just clicked looking at this unnecessarily labeled caricature of Trump.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Okay, pack it in guys, Bob Gorrell says it won't work. Back to the drawing board. I know we call Gorrell lazy because of his art, but this proves he's also lazy in his thinking. Not even an attempt at argument, just "nuh-uh!"

That's all anyone's done. Every single cartoon about it has been all "well clearly Iran will get a bomb and instantly use it and the entire world will be devoured in nuclear fire, because Obama is a dumb and he is the one who struck the deal"

e: it's not even "these conditions won't work," it's "it is now somehow easier for Iran to get a bomb than it was before" which makes even less sense

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Tell you what, let me just pop a quick "baby parts" on this bag, this way we all know that it's filled with baby parts.

The bag isn't even bloody, just smelly

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 23, 2015

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Probably the most savage satire JRROSE! has ever created. Snakes aren't nice.

Rincewinds posted:

The Onion should just hire him, he can just continue as normal and everyone will think it's satire.

Didn't they do that with The Leftersons?

Hitler B. Natural fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 23, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

CHOMP! CHOMP!
CHOMP! CHEW!
CHOMP!

Snake Trump looks so dejected, whereas in reality he's gobbling that poo poo up with gusto.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Haha I love this.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah I missed that first time around but that's prime avatar material. Maybe whip between Obama and the elephant?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

E-Tank posted:

That too. He thinks bankers are frauds who cheat and steal. He could probably double his fortune by getting into the banking business, but he doubles it anyway by hard work. And not hard work as in sitting at a desk and typing on a computer, no he's loving running around doing a lot himself.
I mean, poo poo, the thing the guy is most well known for is the fact that he doesn't keep any of his money in banks at all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Adam Ford also wants everyone to know that he is super gullible.

I like how the pregnant woman is a minority. Subtle.

PsychoLordling
May 13, 2008

If you can read this Sarah Palin's dick must have fallen out of my mouth. Please return it to it's proper position.

This was amazing..
If only someone had made that actual movie...

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Im just gonne sneak in here to say that you should totally go on Amazon or wherever to find Don Rosa's "Hall of Fame" collection....although not sure if they ever got printed in English.

Donaldism fo life shizzle...

Edit: And no the wise duck beside me is not Donald and you can get a Swede in trouble implying it is.

54.4 crowns fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 23, 2015

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'd ask if Adam 4d knew the various services that Planned Parenthood provides, but then that would be me assuming he knew how women's bodies worked, so nevermind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not My Leg posted:

Be happy again, maybe. This is apparently Della Duck's final appearance.

It's in Dutch, but Google thinks the last two panels say something like:

"I miss you already, my darlings!"

"So far so good! I must keep flying until the tank is half empty! Then I return to Earth!"

So maybe not lost in space, just on a really long mission. Also, is the exclamation point the only punctuation in Dutch, or does Della just yell a lot?

That's what they told the kids, yeah. But really she was a quack whore.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

Or she returned to the Planet of the Goofys :ohdear:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Or she returned to the Planet of the Goofys :ohdear:
Speaking of space travel:

That lander. :kimchi:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Jedit posted:

Robot Chicken was way ahead of you in that regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySVOnm84Cto

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

Who are Huey, Dewey, and Louie's actual parents? Scrooge and Donald are both their uncle, right?

Their mother is Donalds sister and Scrooges neice. Running theory is that they killed their father with a prank gone wrong, and their mother went crazy with grief. Donald never had the heart to tell them so he just insists that their parents are on a trip.

loquacius posted:

Daaaaamn one of those ducks straight-up hosed a goose, bet there was a family scandal over that
Two of them - Gladstone Gander and Gus Goose both had goose father's, which makes it weird one looks like a goose and one looks like a duck.

loquacius posted:

She was left pregnant with triplets after a drunken one-night stand, had no particular desire to involve the father in her life, but after six or seven years as a single mother couldn't take the responsibility anymore and dumped the kids on her idiot brother. I'm sticking with my "purchased a new identity, forged a passport, and fled the country to start a new life" headcanon.

You'd think she would have gone to her uncle then. She didn't piss him off by booting scrooge up the rear end when she was 6.

colonel_korn posted:

Apparently it's even better than that! http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Della_Duck

quote:

Della was one of the first female pilots, and eventually became an astronaut, leaving her children with her brother just before she left for a space trip, as mentioned in the Dutch comic 80 is prachtig.[2][3] This comic was made in honor of Donald Duck's 80th anniversary, and was published in a special issue.
How does that work? By that point the ducks had already been into space like 15 times.

loquacius posted:

needs an edit of Mickey flailing wildly at switches labeled "ECONOMY GOOD/BAD" and "GAS PRICES HIGH/LOW"
Well he has a point. The taxes in Disneyland must be insane, why else would a Churro cost $9?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fulchrum posted:

Two of them - Gladstone Gander and Gus Goose both had goose father's, which makes it weird one looks like a goose and one looks like a duck.

Do your Punnett squares. :colbert:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The gently caress are you talking about? You made your first million buying a bank in the Yukon and offering loans to miners for a percentage of the take. Sure, that was after you dug up gold from the land yourself, but that wasn't how you made your money.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 23, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Every time I think this thread has found the most bizarre tangent...

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Okay, your choice - we can either talk about a funny duck or a drunk duck.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Fulchrum posted:

How does that work? By that point the ducks had already been into space like 15 times.

"The moon" is the best level of the ducktales NES game.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

This is probably the best derail that this thread has ever had. Please don't take this from me.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

Every time I think this thread has found the most bizarre tangent...

:objection:

We're discussing politics in a cartoon. Is that not in fact the basis of a political cartooning thread?

Fulchrum posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? You made your first million buying a bank in the Yukon and offering loans to miners for a percentage of the take. Sure, that was after you dug up gold from the land yourself, but that wasn't how you made your money.

I think that means more he bought a bank and didn't hand his money over to bankers. Also he made sure it was a fair bank, instead of the shysters and borderline loan sharks they are now. He probably ended up getting screwed over by a bank manager at some point which lead to his distrust of any banks that he didn't own himself. In modern times his banks would probably be run into the ground simply because he'd be rocking the boat too much.

I think also the other problem Scrooge McDuck represents is that people think rich people are all like him. Instead of shifty assholes who think they're above the law because they have money.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 24, 2015

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, your choice - we can either talk about a funny duck or a drunk duck.

If nothing else, the Scrooge McDuck artwork is a real pleasure to see after pages and pages of hastily scribbled, hate-filled doodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

WarpedNaba posted:

Robot Chicken was way ahead of you in that regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySVOnm84Cto

I mean, if we're going down that route, there's worse things that could happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wITs43kUds8

• Locked thread