Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's for the original Rocksmith (which you need to own) so you can have all its songs in the new game

If you can wait a bit the original and the importer tend to go on sale, but I don't know if there's a sale coming up. But yeah it's worth it, it's a ton of songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Rocksmith was a big reason for me restarting guitar. It is a flawed tool, but essential to me because simply playing scales and stuff is not rewarding. The mistake is to think about it as a complete package, when it is more of a great practice aid.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Buy Rocksmith™ 2014
Buy Rocksmith 2014 Disc Import Tool

Is this all you need then?
Apart from that cable

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Buy Rocksmith™ 2014
Buy Rocksmith 2014 Disc Import Tool

Is this all you need then?
Apart from that cable

I'm pretty sure you need to buy original Rocksmith too in order to use the import tool (as thats what its importing from)

Totally worth it though, its an asston of songs and if you buy it on steam you don't even have to do anything, the songs just show up when you run 2014

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You need the original rocksmith too to use the disc import tool. You can get it and a cable for the same price as just the cable if you find a store that still stocks it. The import tool is a licence transfer fee for the old RS2011 on disc songs, you don't need it to play RS2011 DLC but you do need the RS2011 base game on the same steam account or console platform.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Anyone ever play one of these guys? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043UKJ4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would this be an upgrade from my microcube but still be appropriate for an apartment?

Seems like that plus the pedal for it would be pretty powerful.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ah, thanks guys, I skim read the page and thought it was a tool to import your own songs.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Ah, thanks guys, I skim read the page and thought it was a tool to import your own songs.

If you get it on steam there are a billion custom DLC tracks that community authors have made. Like, thousands.

There is a rocksmith thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3587654

And the site with all the custom DLC is Customs Forge: http://customsforge.com

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Drythe posted:

Does Rocksmith actually do a good job at that?

Yes, sort of. You will learn to play songs in a Real Life Guitar Hero manner. There are also fun games that practice fundamentals like scales, string skipping, etc. I had 2 issues (this is based on the first Rocksmith, so it may be different in the new one): latency, no matter what I did I had issues where it didn't really seem like my notes were falling where they should; and note detection. My guitar had spot-on intonation, and I was playing notes/chords cleanly, but there were some times where it frustratingly did not recognize that I had played it. More of an issue in the mini games where you go for high scores than in the song mode where you can just keep playing.

It's a lot of fun though, and I still play it every now and then because it's a handy practice aid for when I'm just not feeling doing something on my own.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TopherCStone posted:

I had 2 issues (this is based on the first Rocksmith, so it may be different in the new one): latency, no matter what I did I had issues where it didn't really seem like my notes were falling where they should; and note detection. My guitar had spot-on intonation, and I was playing notes/chords cleanly, but there were some times where it frustratingly did not recognize that I had played it.
Both of these are better but not perfect in RS2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cheers to everyone who responded with me but just to clear up a few things I'm definitely not new to guitar! :P I'm starting classical guitar as an experiment to test my dedication and ability to get very serious with music. As for spending a lot of money on an instrument I've definitely learned that I have a very stupidly picky preference for what I consider quality. Price doesn't matter (my biggest letdown ever was a new am dlx strat) but when it comes to acoustic instruments especially I will happily over pay to know I'm getting a well constructed guitar with the right hardware. I have a very clear mental idea of what I consider "quality" in most things and it's a pain in the rear end but at least it helps me avoid clunkers when they're in my hand. I don't play out or make any money with music right now and that's never really been a point for me. Maybe it should be but I simply buy quality instruments because they bring me happiness that I've only found in a few other places in life.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

they bring me happiness

That's all that matters :)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I just like owning nice poo poo and paying a good price for it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

awesmoe posted:

Both of these are better but not perfect in RS2014

Also worth noting in the original game there were a couple of songs that were not A440 reference pitch, but the game never had you adjust your tuning. I think it uses a Karaoke Revolution-style algorithm for hitting the notes, so some songs just felt and sounded off.

RS2014 fixes that almost too well. Now I have neglected never played songs that are in a A430 or A450.

e: Also I bought a wonderful classical for $14 with a case at a thrift store. It's ancient, I had to glue the headstock back together, and it buzzes and rattles like nobody's business. I guess that's not supposed to be a good thing but I love it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Alright, some of you theory goons, what are the exact chords used on this track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdPwW80PrnI

Intro is E/Em and D/Dm to A/Am, and I guess the verse is Dm Cm Gm C->F but I'll be damned if I could figure out which chords exactly.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Cheers to everyone who responded with me but just to clear up a few things I'm definitely not new to guitar! :P I'm starting classical guitar as an experiment to test my dedication and ability to get very serious with music. As for spending a lot of money on an instrument I've definitely learned that I have a very stupidly picky preference for what I consider quality. Price doesn't matter (my biggest letdown ever was a new am dlx strat) but when it comes to acoustic instruments especially I will happily over pay to know I'm getting a well constructed guitar with the right hardware. I have a very clear mental idea of what I consider "quality" in most things and it's a pain in the rear end but at least it helps me avoid clunkers when they're in my hand. I don't play out or make any money with music right now and that's never really been a point for me. Maybe it should be but I simply buy quality instruments because they bring me happiness that I've only found in a few other places in life.

Thanks for displaying that you already have a great attitude about this. As a regularly plays classical guitars that retail for $300 and guitars that retail for $3,000, $10,000 and even $30,000, I can tell you that there CAN be huge differences all along that scale. Of course, you can have great and crappy guitars at every point, but when it comes to instruments that can vary between being shittily made in a lovely factory, well made in a nice factory, semi-hand made, hand made by an apprentice, and handmade by a motherfucking genius from space, there are big differences. In my experience, these differences are even more evident in classicals, for whatever reason (read: too many reasons for me to go into right now).

This is mostly for the "ugh don't bother with guitars above $1,000" guys. I understand that perspective when talking about electric guitars, because I think pickups can mitigate a huge amount of construction discrepancy, but it isn't very helpful when talking about classicals. Honestly, the best thing you can do to buy a nice classical guitar is to somehow put yourself in a room with lots of (ideally luthier-made) guitars and play them all. When you remove the pickups and the whole signal chain, that connection between you and the wood is that much more important.

Hell, I'm super drat nervous when I order a $10,000 instrument from a luthier whose work I LOVE. Sure, I've loved every guitar I've ever played by him, but WHAT IF MINE loving SUCKS OH GODDDD

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

quote:

my biggest letdown ever was a new am dlx strat

Whys that?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://soundcloud.com/jacob-staudt/carcasi-no-7-noodle

Whee :D

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Nice, man! Keep it up. It's nice hearing student pieces played by folks who have a good musical grasp of the piece. When I say that your musicianship and interpretation far outstrips your technique, I mean that as the highest compliment. It's so much more fun to work with students who play musically* than those who have good technique but don't "get" how to play music so that it sounds like music.

Keep performing music like music!

* Of course, I end up spending half the time explaining how to practice slowly and get more precise, but those are easy concepts that just take work.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is great! I can't wait to learn something like that. I guess I'll have to join in and post something after I put in the practice.

firebad57 posted:

Thanks for displaying that you already have a great attitude about this. As a regularly plays classical guitars that retail for $300 and guitars that retail for $3,000, $10,000 and even $30,000, I can tell you that there CAN be huge differences all along that scale. Of course, you can have great and crappy guitars at every point, but when it comes to instruments that can vary between being shittily made in a lovely factory, well made in a nice factory, semi-hand made, hand made by an apprentice, and handmade by a motherfucking genius from space, there are big differences. In my experience, these differences are even more evident in classicals, for whatever reason (read: too many reasons for me to go into right now).

This is mostly for the "ugh don't bother with guitars above $1,000" guys. I understand that perspective when talking about electric guitars, because I think pickups can mitigate a huge amount of construction discrepancy, but it isn't very helpful when talking about classicals. Honestly, the best thing you can do to buy a nice classical guitar is to somehow put yourself in a room with lots of (ideally luthier-made) guitars and play them all. When you remove the pickups and the whole signal chain, that connection between you and the wood is that much more important.

Hell, I'm super drat nervous when I order a $10,000 instrument from a luthier whose work I LOVE. Sure, I've loved every guitar I've ever played by him, but WHAT IF MINE loving SUCKS OH GODDDD

Thank you very much for that, and coming from you it's comforting to hear I'm thinking logically.

As much as I would love to find a luthier stocked showroom I could spend a weekend in, my local options are not great at all. It's mostly steel strings acoustics around here. Chances are I'll be ordering from Sweetwater if I go factory built. Their service is flawless and returns are never an issue so I feel much more confident with them compared to any other online shop. I don't necessarily love the idea of buying acoustic instruments online but what can you do. What I am doing though is researching my butt off about woods, construction, bracing, quality control standards, every other little detail I can think of prior to moving towards a certain guitar or make. I've also started talking with a Canadian luthier Robert England after hearing good words about him and his fair prices. I suppose I'm just looking wherever I can for a good guitar. I'd buy used from someone I trust who knows what they have but other than that I haven't seen anything I care for used online.

So right now, who knows. I'm working on selling a Bongo 5 bass on Reverb and once that goes I'll have enough money to get something good. It's so hard to not just order a Yamaha C40 to start though. I'm dying to learn and using an electric for this stuff isn't working for me at all so I'm waiting.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Just amazing :)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

firebad57 posted:

Nice, man! Keep it up. It's nice hearing student pieces played by folks who have a good musical grasp of the piece. When I say that your musicianship and interpretation far outstrips your technique, I mean that as the highest compliment. It's so much more fun to work with students who play musically* than those who have good technique but don't "get" how to play music so that it sounds like music.

Keep performing music like music!

* Of course, I end up spending half the time explaining how to practice slowly and get more precise, but those are easy concepts that just take work.

I've only been practicing that piece for about 3 days; learning how to play fast and consistently with my right hand is turning out to be a very interesting and difficult new experience for me; I'm also having fun trying out some new positions for holding the guitar; namely in the classical style, more vertical, with no right hand bracing, straight wrists, and a more hinge picking style as opposed to hook or scoopy motions. It's quite challenging but its a completely new genre for me to explore...and I can open classtab.org on my phone during lunch breaks at work :getin:

I'm going to subject the call center I work at to a guitarist who's trying to become a musician, one piece at a time. :)
I feel like guitar players who studied classically have a huge edge in making well constructed songs or even just having really interesting, rock solid solo work. Studying music theory exhausts me so just learning tabs of classical songs to get my hands and brain in the habit of moving around in interesting ways is a awesome hobby to augment my playing with.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 24, 2015

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Looked at some of Paganini's Caprices...n

no

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

NTT posted:

I feel like guitar players who studied classically have a huge edge in making well constructed songs or even just having really interesting, rock solid solo work.

I think that's a big blanket statement to make, and I don't mean to sound argumentative at all when I say that.
It's just there is so much music out there that was written by people who don't even know or care what classical music even is.

All learning is an edge, for sure and an open ear is your best friend, but I am really wary of the classical 'elite' thing (not saying you are displaying it) - down that road Malsteem lies, and that stuff (to me) is goddam horrifically horrible.

I want to post this as well as I am listening to it loads at the moment, no other reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwwhPAjSFpw

That guitar to me is amazing, just wowzers :)

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I think that's a big blanket statement to make, and I don't mean to sound argumentative at all when I say that.
It's just there is so much music out there that was written by people who don't even know or care what classical music even is.

All learning is an edge, for sure and an open ear is your best friend, but I am really wary of the classical 'elite' thing (not saying you are displaying it) - down that road Malsteem lies, and that stuff (to me) is goddam horrifically horrible.

That guitar to me is amazing, just wowzers :)

Great point - nobody wants to go down the Road to Malmsteen. I think there is some statistical merit to avoiding classical elitism - there are some nonclassical badasses who have classical background/technique, but maybe fewer than one might think or hope. I think that there are some concrete reasons for this, mostly revolving around a lack of education in improvisation and this weird separation of the roles of "composer" and "performer".

Those of us who are dirty avant garde fuckers are currently trying to make some changes to this, but I know I've certainly felt it. It's actually pretty tricky to make the jump from classical to "pop"* - not technically, but musically. You can put pretty much anything in front of me, and I'll be able to play it, but for the first 15 years of my guitar education, nobody was teaching me how to play by ear. I've had to supplement those skills more recently, and it's NOT super fun to go from feeling like guitar is easy to finding a part of it at which I totally suck some balls.

Now, I'm doing that for myself, and I'm doing it for my students, but it's pretty hard to myself work at jazz, blues, or metal and feel like a beginner when I can go play any piece in the classical repertoire. I'm certainly grateful for the skills I got from practicing a lot and studying for years, but it's weird to feel so disconnected from so much music because it was made in such a different way, with such a focus on improvisation and playing by ear. Maybe that's how most people feel when they hear classical music, I don't know.

Now that I think about it, would there be any interest in an Ask/Tell thread - Ask me about being a professional classical musician? Or in me just posting practice Instagrams/Youtubes?

* everything that's not classical/jazz

firebad57 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 25, 2015

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

NTT posted:

Looked at some of Paganini's Caprices...n

no

To paraphrase Jason Becker "gently caress it. It's too hard. Don't even try".

Also your poo poo was good keep it up.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

firebad57 posted:

Now that I think about it, would there be any interest in an Ask/Tell thread - Ask me about being a professional classical musician? Or in me just posting practice Instagrams/Youtubes?

I'd like that :)

And NTT, I'm not criticizing you at all and totally echo what fullroundaction says :)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Objectively speaking there's a pretty clear amount of room for improvement in clarity and being precise with notes, but I appreciate it :)

The classical I have has a third string that absolutely plugs the mid range EQ on my microphones though, I need to figure out how to mic it so that it doesn't eat all of my mids :s

e; restrung my tele and my music man, feels good to have fresh strings and clean hands playing

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Tried using the beater MiM Tele at band tonight, and you know it's bad when the bassist asks you to switch back the CV Tele and just retune it. Single coil bridge pickup isn't really cutting it, so looks like it's time to get busy with router for another Fidelitron install. Debating tossing a little extra in for a TV Jones Classic Plus this time instead of a used Fender Korean unit. :whatup:

EDIT: To clarify, this is what my CV Tele sounds like for the most part (Fender one has slightly less balls) https://soundcloud.com/tv-jones-1/tv-classic-plus-bridge

Sockington fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 25, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

peter gabriel posted:

Yngwie has about as much to do with classical as 311 does with reggae.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
In my classroom I would like to have a guitar for my students who finish work early. Have a little Stratocaster hanging up on the wall so students could check through tutorials and teach themselves guitar if they are so inclined. My students are teenagers, so I don't think I need an undersized practice guitar.

My questions are:

1. What is the cheapest guitar option I can get (I would prefer an electric guitar)? I wouldn't want a nice guitar to get banged up, and I'm also not interested in breaking the bank over something the kids might not even appreciate. However, I am planning on eventually having some students perform for the rest of the school, so I would prefer a guitar that can be plugged into an amp and isn't a complete piece of garbage.

2. In order for the students to practice without disrupting the rest of the class, I would like the guitar to be able to be plugged into head phones so the student could hear themselves and block out other sounds. Are there headphones that plug into a guitar jack? What are they called?

3. Eventually I would like my students to be able to have other humans hear them play this electric guitar. What is my least expensive amp option? I would preferably like an amp that is loud enough to be heard in a full auditorium (We just use our school's basketball court/gym). I was also wondering if the small little portable amps would be powerful enough for such a feat, of if I should stop being cheap and buy an actual amp.

Any answers would be appreciated. Also, any beginner resources for my students would also be helpful. I've played for years, but I am not a music teacher, they will be doing this as an extra activity if they finish their Science work early.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Well, I'm a pretty bare newbie here but this just cemented my desire to learn classical guitar. Will be a long long road though, just amazing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Scott Justice posted:

In my classroom I would like to have a guitar for my students who finish work early. Have a little Stratocaster hanging up on the wall so students could check through tutorials and teach themselves guitar if they are so inclined. My students are teenagers, so I don't think I need an undersized practice guitar.

My questions are:

1. What is the cheapest guitar option I can get (I would prefer an electric guitar)? I wouldn't want a nice guitar to get banged up, and I'm also not interested in breaking the bank over something the kids might not even appreciate. However, I am planning on eventually having some students perform for the rest of the school, so I would prefer a guitar that can be plugged into an amp and isn't a complete piece of garbage.

2. In order for the students to practice without disrupting the rest of the class, I would like the guitar to be able to be plugged into head phones so the student could hear themselves and block out other sounds. Are there headphones that plug into a guitar jack? What are they called?

3. Eventually I would like my students to be able to have other humans hear them play this electric guitar. What is my least expensive amp option? I would preferably like an amp that is loud enough to be heard in a full auditorium (We just use our school's basketball court/gym). I was also wondering if the small little portable amps would be powerful enough for such a feat, of if I should stop being cheap and buy an actual amp.

Any answers would be appreciated. Also, any beginner resources for my students would also be helpful. I've played for years, but I am not a music teacher, they will be doing this as an extra activity if they finish their Science work early.

Rondo Music sounds like it's basically perfect for all the hardware you want here:

1: ) http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

2: ) http://www.rondomusic.com/product4521.html

and if you don't bother buying a guitar that comes with one

3: ) http://www.rondomusic.com/amplifiers.html

Cheap, decent quality, don't have to feel bad if they get messed up. As far as guides or tutorials I'm less good on ideas but for beginner/novelty stuff that's basically your best way to go I'd think.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Anyone here interested in Eastwood guitars? They're blowing out some discontinued models, and you can use a coupon to get 40% off the models on this page: http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/discontinued-items-on-sale/

On the one hand I've always loved how wacky they are, but on the other hand I just don't have the money to burn on one right now.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I dig em in theory but every one I've picked up had some issues.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

TopherCStone posted:

Anyone here interested in Eastwood guitars? They're blowing out some discontinued models, and you can use a coupon to get 40% off the models on this page: http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/discontinued-items-on-sale/

On the one hand I've always loved how wacky they are, but on the other hand I just don't have the money to burn on one right now.

This seems pretty drat cool for just over $250

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Want.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Almost bought one of those Warren Ellis signatures a while ago, but the prices are suspiciously low.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That classical tab book that Bolt wrote arrived at my house today; it even came with the CD! A lot of these pieces are right around my skill level I feel (guitarist for 10 years) and with a little practice I should be playing at least a few of these. Thanks for the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Out of the 12 I think Sarabande hits the sweet spot of 'not incredibly complex' and 'interesting' so I think i'll try my hand at that one first.

Unless I was supposed to learn these in order lol...

https://soundcloud.com/jacob-staudt/carcassi-no-7-1-week-practice

Here's that same Carcassi piece with a few more days of working on it; it sounds a lot better! In particular I've been working on the section with the a-m-i 3 note bursts; that's a surprisingly hard technique coming from only picking. I'm not used to having my hand play fast for me.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 29, 2015