Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It isn't cyberpunk, but Deus Ex does owe a lot to Illuminatus! so you should probably give that a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

chrisoya posted:

It isn't cyberpunk, but Deus Ex does owe a lot to Illuminatus! so you should probably give that a read.

The original Deus Ex owes a shitload to The Man Who Was Thursday as well, so read that. Hell, read TMWWT anyway.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Evfedu posted:

I was aware of Jack Vance in the way that he was the guy who invited the D&D magic system, but is any of his stuff worth reading?.

Absolutely. He's got an unique style that's well worth experiencing. If you want to try his fantasy, I'd suggest either The Eyes of the Overworld (if you can deal with a protagonist who's a scheming rear end in a top hat) or Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden. If you'd rather read SF, his Demon Princes series (Star King et al) or Planet of Adventure books (City of the Chasch etc) are great adventure stories, and The Languages of Pao is an interesting exploration of how language shapes culture and perception.

Furism posted:

What would be a good cyber-punk read? Something like Shadowrun but not Shadowrun. Also, not Blade Runner. I'd like something rather recent (as in, not with the kind of future technology as a 50's writer would imagine it ; it's cute but not what I'm going for). Something along the lines of Deus Ex.

I'll sneak in a recommendation for Norman Spinrad's Little Heroes here.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

DigitalRaven posted:

The original Deus Ex owes a shitload to The Man Who Was Thursday as well, so read that. Hell, read TMWWT anyway.

Hell, TMWWT shows up as readable books in that game!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked The Man Who Was Thursday up until the end, where it gets a little too trippy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Coca Koala posted:

I finished the second Max Gladstone book and moved right on to the third. I didn't know it, but I've been waiting a long time for a series that treats magic and religion as applications of contract law.

Also, it was very refreshing to read a book where the religion and culture inspiration is drawn from the Aztecs (or incans? I should read up on that).

Gladstone is great. You'll also be happy to hear that his most recent book, Last First Snow, returns to ("Dresidiel") LAX - it's a prequel to Two Serpents Rise. I hate prequels usually, but this one was really good, and I'm gonna have to reread Two Serpents Rise now.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kesper North posted:

Gladstone is great. You'll also be happy to hear that his most recent book, Last First Snow, returns to ("Dresidiel") LAX - it's a prequel to Two Serpents Rise. I hate prequels usually, but this one was really good, and I'm gonna have to reread Two Serpents Rise now.

Not only that, Temoc is one of the main viewpoints -- which had me worried that it'd be hard to say more about him after TSR -- but I think, probably by virtue of previously seeing him primarily through the eyes of his son, this works.

It was interesting to see the King in Red in LFS, compared with what we see of him in TSR -- he's mellowed out a bit over the years, it seems. And of course he was introduced in a single reference in Three Parts Dead, at which point the name was just a bit of background flavor (at least for the readers).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Megazver posted:

Oh god. Are they leaking into anglosphere?

I am so sorry.

On the other hand, hey, at least you might also get Red Padawan:
I dunno about most of them, but I was pretty stoked to finally get a chance to read Metro 2033 for a reasonable price. :unsmith:

angel opportunity posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Sanderson, but I think his books--while too long--are well plotted and have compelling narrative arcs. His prose isn't amazing, and his magic system obsession can rightly be compared to DnD or videogame rulesets, but if you put me on a plane with only a Sanderson novel to read, I would read it and probably still enjoy it. I finished the whole two books of Stormlight and enjoyed it okay. I don't tend to recommend him to many people though because I do really feel he just makes these way longer than they need to be.

I almost made a post yesterday, after the guy saying he hated Dune, about how it's fine to hate certain books as long as you can understand that other people have different taste and expectations from what they read, but I didn't bother making it because I kept typing it and finding myself rambling and going off topic. In that post I was adding that I irrationally hate Abercrombie, but understand why people like him.

Anyway, it annoys me especially how Abercrombie is like the catch-all recommendation from so many people here. The people who recommend Abercrombie, almost regardless of what criteria people ask for, have they really read that many books? I honestly can't imagine someone thinking Abercrombie is great after reading decent scifi/fantasy. Even if you've only ever read books 1-3 of Song of Ice and Fire, I can't see how you'd like Abercrombie enough to give gushing recommendations of his work to people asking for good fantasy series.

Even as much as I can't understand how people like it ENOUGH TO RECOMMEND TO OTHERS, I do understand how and why people like his books. There's strong and compelling aesthetic to certain aspects of his world, and he does certain characters very well. The tradeoff is that the plots go nowhere, the pacing is atrocious, and certain characters are like cardboard cutouts with voiceboxes attached to them. I really, hugely dislike how it reads like a movie or an anime, and every big action scene has what feels like mini-boss fights. Characters built up over three books never actually do anything (big dude with all the runes/tattoos all over his body?) other than become raid bosses, and the entire First Law trilogy ends without anything interesting happening aside from a few characters' subplots. Even the main antagonist doesn't do anything in the climax of the trilogy.

If you just really want to read some cool action poo poo happening, I understand the appeal, but when I see really excited recommendations for this poo poo to people, it makes me really just feel like the person giving the recommendation hasn't read any of the much better scifi/fantasy that is out there.
I've read a few more than a couple books. I still think Abercrombie's pretty good. I'd recommend him to people asking for a certain type of fantasy.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 23, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Selachian posted:

Absolutely. He's got an unique style that's well worth experiencing.

Absolutely worth reading, I agree. His style is a little bit archaic (for SF/F), which can be a bit off-putting at times, but he's a great storyteller so it's worth sticking with even if the writing occasionally frustrates you.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

I think you read way, way too deep into those comments. Also, you missed my point, which was that Jack Vance popularized the dying earth story, not Gene Wolfe, as Evfedu indicated originally; I wasn't just randomly naming an author that has written that kind of story.

Eh, maybe you're right, but it was still a pretty bad set of posts in a row. Dead right about Vance though. Speaking of whom

Kalman posted:

Absolutely worth reading, I agree. His style is a little bit archaic (for SF/F), which can be a bit off-putting at times, but he's a great storyteller so it's worth sticking with even if the writing occasionally frustrates you.

Not archaic in a forsoothy godwottery way though, maybe dandified would be a better word? I enjoy his style and wouldn't say it's offputting so much as the big draw of his books.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Quinton posted:

Not only that, Temoc is one of the main viewpoints -- which had me worried that it'd be hard to say more about him after TSR -- but I think, probably by virtue of previously seeing him primarily through the eyes of his son, this works.

It was interesting to see the King in Red in LFS, compared with what we see of him in TSR -- he's mellowed out a bit over the years, it seems. And of course he was introduced in a single reference in Three Parts Dead, at which point the name was just a bit of background flavor (at least for the readers).

The King in Red came across like the sort of autistic nerd libertarian disruptor type who thinks technologyCraft can solve anything and loves playing with his big, destructive toys. Which was interesting, because I expected him to be all full of spooky occult gravitas. But it made the whole thing feel all the more modern and relevant, particularly in the scenes where Elayne and the King are watching the wardens attack Skittersill via the dreamers, and it's exactly like the scene in a Hollywood blockbuster where everyone watches something awful happen in an overhead satellite view.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So I just finished Walter Jon Williams's This is Not a Game and enjoyed it pretty well. In particular, it's a book that brought up some parallels to Ready Player One in that it is about geeks and a game--though here the geeks are running (as well as sort of playing) the game. It drops a few little nerdy references here and there, but that's where the similarity really stops. TINAG is set in a world that is basically our world instead of a dystopian hellhole. Its stakes are lower (the protagonist is not trying to win the internet) but the threat and tension in the book is more immediate (her actual life is threatened rather than her game avatar), and carefully built. Dagmar Shaw is more likeable than whatever nerd boy in RPO was called, though her character is still a bit flatter than I would prefer. At the least she shows a lot of cleverness that doesn't feel forced, nor does it rely on her extensive vocabulary of 80s pop culture to solve her problems.

The central conceit is an Altered Reality Game or ARG and events surrounding and including it, and blurring of the lines between what is and is not suitable entertainment. I felt the game/story plotline parallels were sometimes a bit forced, but overall it flowed together pretty well and some of the really not okay things the characters do related to the game/not-game are addressed. It uses its geek cred carefully to reinforce and explain the plot and characters, rather than showing off the ability to read wikipedia, and the ARG player comments added a certain amount of winky levity and playfulness that keeps the story from getting too full of itself. I guess there're two sequels now, Deep State and The Fourth Wall which I think I will be checking out at some point.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
While skimming the last few pages of name calling, something someone said jumped out to me. When did writing "The story so far..." prologues fall out of style? I remember older series' having these, but in the modern era of massive epic series', why do authors not do this anymore? It seems like it's needed more than ever!

In particular, I just finished the last Raven's Shadow book Queen of Fire, and while I didn't hate it like a lot of people did, I felt it really suffered from this. There were so many characters and plot points I couldn't remember I found myself skimming certain chapters. I dread picking up the next aSoIaF book (whenever Martin finally finishes it) for this very reason.

syphon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 23, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's really hard to be a god

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

syphon posted:

While skimming the last few pages of name calling, something someone said jumped out to me. When did writing "The story so far..." prologues fall out of style? I remember older series' having these, but in the modern era of massive epic series', why do authors not do this anymore? It seems like it's needed more than ever!

In particular, I just finished the last Raven's Shadow book Queen of Fire, and while I didn't hate it like a lot of people did, I felt it really suffered from this. There were so many characters and plot points I couldn't remember I found myself skimming certain chapters. I dread picking up the next aSoIaF book (whenever Martin finally finishes it) for this very reason.

You try to summarize a single volume of ASOIAF or Malazan in a page and a half, without your head exploding. I guess writers would rather farm the work out to fan-made wikis.

Stephen R. Donaldson, at least, still does "What Has Gone Before" sections in the Thomas Covenant series.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Antti posted:

Even the Locke Lamora world has the elder race who disappeared mysteriously and left their cities behind. You could even go as far as to say Numenor in Tolkien's legendarium is the antecedent for fantasy and Atlantis in turn is the antecedent for the entire concept.
In that case, there's a pretty specific series of events which leads to Manwe invoking Iluvater, dropping meteors or some poo poo on the armaments of the Numenoreans who fell under Sauron's spell, and sinking the island of Numenor at the same time he removed two other land masses and changed the world to round instead of flat. Also there were a few enw landmasses formed from the geologic upheaval of stones fallnig from the heavens and the ground itself being bent pretty much into a pretzel. They certainly didn't leave any cities behind - only a handful of Numenoreans who hadn't betrayed the Ainur escaped the destruction, bringing some of their greatest artifacts such as the palantir, the sword Narsil of Aragorn's family line, etc.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah, I didn't mean it's literally the same thing, but just another example of the lost civilization theme.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Just finished Aurora. I've only read 2312 and Years of Rice and Salt, so I can't compare it to the Mars Trilogy, but it's absolutely the best KSR book I've read so far (and I'm one of the people who had far fewer problems with 2312 than most people).

Especially enjoyed the literal volte-face made after the discovery of Aurora's fatal flaws, which came as a total and genuine shock to me, and the ultimate fingerpointing at the people who launched the expedition itself as totally bonkers in retrospect. Although the discovery of hibernation technologies did seem as though they would make non-generational attempts at colonization much easier, if only because then the people involved could genuinely consent to the attempt, instead of just being series of generations stuffed on a starship because of their forebears' dreams.

The knowledge that in the beginning there were two starships was also a total and genuine shock, and the discussions of sociological reconciliation and multi-generational history were really well-placed. They weren't perfect, since that subject is so complex and the matter at hand was only a temporary part of the book, but I'm really glad they appeared.

Anyway I was really impressed, so chalk up another one in the thread's recommendation victory column.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Antti posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean it's literally the same thing, but just another example of the lost civilization theme.

There's also Valyria in ASoIaF

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Kesper North posted:

...I totally did not get the L.A. thing until just now

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Especially on a world where changing your bedsheet is considered witchcraft.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's called Dresidiel Lex, Lex as in 'law', not LAX as in Los Angeles airport.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

House Louse posted:

Not archaic in a forsoothy godwottery way though, maybe dandified would be a better word? I enjoy his style and wouldn't say it's offputting so much as the big draw of his books.

Yeah; archaic may not have been quite the right word to use. I probably should have just called it pulp except that it isn't really pulp - Vance uses a very pulp style to tell non-pulp stories.

I like it, but I can understand that other people out there might not (it's kind of the reaction I have to older movies - I find the way they're cut and edited to often be boring and irritating to watch at times.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Alhazred posted:

Especially on a world where changing your bedsheet is considered witchcraft.

Only a crazy foreigner would blow his nose! It is heresy!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

coyo7e posted:

I've read a few more than a couple books. I still think Abercrombie's pretty good. I'd recommend him to people asking for a certain type of fantasy.

*shrug*

I, too, fail to see anything wrong with Abercrombie, he's one of my personal favourites and pretty drat good at what he does. And I've also read more than a couple of books (nerd-genre junkie with occasional pretensions of literature since the early 1980s, I'm afraid).

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Selachian posted:

You try to summarize a single volume of ASOIAF or Malazan in a page and a half, without your head exploding. I guess writers would rather farm the work out to fan-made wikis.

Stephen R. Donaldson, at least, still does "What Has Gone Before" sections in the Thomas Covenant series.

It doesn't need to be a huge description of everything thats gone before - just a quick reminder of whos who and whats what. You remember little details as the story goes on.

For example, A clash of Kings might have:
Sansa Stark is under the power of merciless king twat Joffery while her sister Arya is undercover as a boy in a group of potential Nights Watch recruits, fleeing from the people who nobbed her fathers head off.
In the north, Jon Snow ranges beyond the wall (for whatever reason that was, I honestly forget) while across the narrow sea Daenerys has hatched three dragons.

I tried reading Queen of Fire and didn't understand what was going on and found that I didn't care enough to re-read the previous book, even though I really liked the first in the trilogy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

It doesn't need to be a huge description of everything thats gone before - just a quick reminder of whos who and whats what. You remember little details as the story goes on.

For example, A clash of Kings might have:
Sansa Stark is under the power of merciless king twat Joffery while her sister Arya is undercover as a boy in a group of potential Nights Watch recruits, fleeing from the people who nobbed her fathers head off.
In the north, Jon Snow ranges beyond the wall (for whatever reason that was, I honestly forget) while across the narrow sea Daenerys has hatched three dragons.

I tried reading Queen of Fire and didn't understand what was going on and found that I didn't care enough to re-read the previous book, even though I really liked the first in the trilogy.

Yeah, pretty much. You don't necessarily need a full on recap page - a lot of stories do just fine without one - but he just didn't bother with catching the reader up at all.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Antti posted:

Gladstone's a clever guy. It might be both. (I guessed LAX because my father drives 737s for a living and I live in IATA alphabet soup. It's a miracle I don't spell Newark as Ewrark).

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
iTunes in Australia is having a scifi/fantasy bundle deal at the moment.

I picked up the Rama Omnibus, but there is also Robin Hobb Live ships thing (?), Frank Herbert Omnibus and the Hitchhikers trilogy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm totally cool with people not enjoying the style of authors, but I really enjoyed every Robin Hobb book I've read. Granted, it's only been the Assassin series and Tawny Man series, but I liked them enough to buy the Live Ship series and read it soonish.

I've heard pretty consistently terrible things from her newer books like the Soldier Son stuff. Old Robin Hobb kinda reminds me of old JV Jones or the Fortress series by Cherryh, but better. :shrug: These are all things I've read 15+ years ago, though. My memory may betray me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Antti posted:

From the horse's mouth:

https://twitter.com/maxgladstone/status/624386219724664832

He's such a sport about Twitter.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Drifter posted:

I'm totally cool with people not enjoying the style of authors, but I really enjoyed every Robin Hobb book I've read. Granted, it's only been the Assassin series and Tawny Man series, but I liked them enough to buy the Live Ship series and read it soonish.

I've heard pretty consistently terrible things from her newer books like the Soldier Son stuff. Old Robin Hobb kinda reminds me of old JV Jones or the Fortress series by Cherryh, but better. :shrug: These are all things I've read 15+ years ago, though. My memory may betray me.

I dunno, I've by and large enjoyed her newer stuff though yeah, Soldier Son is, to put it as charitably as possible, a lot of neat concept work ruined by a plot that is literally about :effort:. And I doubt you'll find anyone else willing to put it as nicely as I just did.

I really liked Fool's Assassin but it hit me in kind of a personal way. I'd say it's worth picking up unless you're fundamentally opposed to yet another Fitz book, which is a 100% reasonable position.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Furism posted:

Thanks for all the cyber punk recommendations. Snow Crash I have read already, totally blanked on that one, but Neuromancer needs to be the next then!

Just to give you a warning, the first hundred pages or so have a pretty steep learning curve. Gibson kind of just shoves you off into the deep end in an info-saturated world, and at points I found it pretty hard to keep my head above the water. If you feel like it's throwing too much at you at once, or you're not getting too hooked by it, I'd recommend stopping and checking out a collection of early Gibson stories, Burning Chrome. It's good background reading and really helps with understanding all the stuff he's tossing at you.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

That's what Cotillion keeps telling us.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, the new book of the month poll thread is up with several options y'all might like:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732757

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Evfedu posted:

I was aware of Jack Vance in the way that he was the guy who invited the D&D magic system, but is any of his stuff worth reading? I've got an Audible credit that I can apparently spend on The Dying Earth to help while away the two hours a day I spend commuting. Bear in mind I don't like to go back and read stuff that's since been done better, best example off the top of my head would be that reading Pratchett's Night Watch loving destroyed a lot of the potential enjoyment I would have had when I ended up reading The Anubis Gate.

Yes. Vance's Dying Earth stories are insanely good. The Cugel books are an awesome picaresque duology in that setting, and the short stories are quite awesome too. A lot of bizarre imaginative imagery and black humour couched in florid language which adds to the impression of the alien nature of the world.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Welp. Pulled the trigger on The Twelve instead because it's 27 hours long and I remember thinking The Passage was an entertaining car crash. Will put Vance on the old wishlist for next months credit, or just buy him on Kindle if I get the time.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Venusian Weasel posted:

Just to give you a warning, the first hundred pages or so have a pretty steep learning curve. Gibson kind of just shoves you off into the deep end in an info-saturated world, and at points I found it pretty hard to keep my head above the water. If you feel like it's throwing too much at you at once, or you're not getting too hooked by it, I'd recommend stopping and checking out a collection of early Gibson stories, Burning Chrome. It's good background reading and really helps with understanding all the stuff he's tossing at you.

Neuromancer have a perfect example of how fast scifi can get dated, where in the beginning Case is trying to sell off a 8 Mb memory.
But besides that, Neuromancer still holds up very well.

Also, Neuromancer is an easy read. I don't typically need to know everything at once but rather enjoy the exploration of a new universe.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

Yeah, pretty much. You don't necessarily need a full on recap page - a lot of stories do just fine without one - but he just didn't bother with catching the reader up at all.

Mark Lawrence did a brief recap in his latest one, explaining that it saves him wasting time and words re-introducing characters through patronizing plot elements. It was just a list of important characters and some context, a few pages long. I wouldn't mind if some of the bigger series started doing the same. I could not remember half of the characters in Tower Lord and that kind of thing would've been nice.

It's hard to explain but with ebooks I've found it more difficult to memorize and associate things without the physical book, cover and etc to tie it all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Neuromancer have a perfect example of how fast scifi can get dated, where in the beginning Case is trying to sell off a 8 Mb memory.
But besides that, Neuromancer still holds up very well.

My favourite example of that is the classic Traveller RPG. A science fiction themed RPG first published in the 70's it uses a Tech level system to rate a societys technological level over several fields. With then 70's Earth being Tech 7 across all fields.

So Tech 4 Energy generation might be steam power and coal. Tech 9 Early Fusion power. Tech 6 medicine is Early vaccines, Tech11 is Rapid Regeneration of lost limbs.

The table on Computer technology got Moore's Law-ed to a ridiculous extent. The computer you're reading this on now would be a Tech 15 Planetary Supercomputer by those rules. Your phone would have the processing power of a Million ton Super-Dreadnought.