Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

People treating to the SEC for the next five years like the did the Big 10 the last five years would be the greatest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

RumbleFish posted:

What's the ACC's excuse, exactly? The SEC won't ditch that format because we need to protect all 80 of Alabama and Auburn's annual rivalry games.

The ACC is like the SEC's little brother, they really just follow along. Swofford is like half a lackey. The only move with balls he's made was getting ND into the ACC, but even then he chicken shitted out to their football demands. poo poo the only real reason they are against satellite camps is because much like the SEC they want to try and maintain a natural geographic recruiting advantage that can't hold up with the amount of money and attention involved. Their actual answer is but what about FSU/Miami which is just about the only cross division rivalry that matters. I know I'd love to not play BC every year.

TLDR Swofford is better than Beebe, but is otherwise a behind the 8 ball copy cat commish imo. He's never been much of an innovator in that regard and wants to tow the company line.

Also 12 games is fine, 9 conference games, 3 OOC games with 1 marquee, 1 P5, and 1 G5 team for everyone. FCS games can be exhibitions if you want them, but shouldn't count towards your record, or you can only sub them in for a G5 team once every other year or something.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Can northern ACC schools come down to Florida and host satellite camps?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Crotch Bat posted:

Miami has 0 pre-season 1st team all-ACC picks.

Holy cow, Golden.

i still think he's overall worse than London because he's failing just as hard in a much better place.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Put everyone that doesn't have a 100,000 seat stadium out on an ice floe, then everyone plays a home and away against the whole league in a 14 game season.

Everyone wins!

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

I like how Gary Pinkel's "whine" is a legitimate complaint.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Sash! posted:

Put everyone that doesn't have a 100,000 seat stadium out on an ice floe, then everyone plays a home and away against the whole league in a 14 game season.

Everyone wins!

A 100,000+ capacity conference would be pretty cool. It would be Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, A&M, LSU, Bama, Tennessee, and Texas.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

buddhanc posted:

A 100,000+ capacity conference would be pretty cool. It would be Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, A&M, LSU, Bama, and Texas.

Tennessee too

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Top 12 would be a cool conference:

Michigan
Penn State
Ohio State
A&M
Tennessee
LSU
Alabama
Texas
USC
Georgia
UCLA
Florida

Divisions are perfect for SEC and other.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Add Oklahoma and Oregon to that and you've got a super duper conference.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Goddamn Steve Patterson is dumb:

quote:

Coaches used to be allowed to go into the athletic dining hall whenever they wanted under Dodds, often to bond with their student-athletes or have a one-on-one conversation. Under Patterson, coaches are only allowed 30 visits per year. If coaches go to the athletic dining hall more than that, they have to pay $10 for each visit out of their own pocket.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

He is pillaging the university and fans for every dime he possibly can

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

On one hand, it sort of makes sense to make an adult non-student pay for his own food.
On the other, 30 times a year seems absurdly low if you're going to allow the coaches to get free food at all.

Plus the amount of money you're losing/making on coach-food is practically a rounding error in the presumably titanic budget of the University of Texas System.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

buddhanc posted:

He is pillaging the university and fans for every dime he possibly can

Didn't he also refuse to pay the market rate for quality control coaches, so they all left?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Didn't he also refuse to pay the market rate for quality control coaches, so they all left?

Something like that. I think our quality control coaches make like half of what other big schools pay them.

e- And he fired the SID guy Bianco without consulting Charlie. It's so funny to see who the new mouth pieces are for Patterson. Brian Davis of the statesman has replaced Chip since Deloss and Mack left as the official purveyor of Belmont propaganda and has been fellating Patterson regularly while everyone else is trashing him. Chip is now the contrarian and outspoken critic which is a nice change of scenery for him.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 24, 2015

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I can't see Patterson lasting particulary long at the job with the antipathy against him already. It is almost impressive being more reviled than Deloss this quickly.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Braxton Miller confirmed he'll play WR this year and return punts.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought you were making a joke, but nope.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They are going to end up with Cardale, Braxton, Elliott, Marshall and Michael Thomas on the field at the same time. Jesus Christ.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Extremely smart for his future.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

korrandark posted:

Extremely smart for his future.

is what urban meyer told him to keep him from going to another playoff ready team where he could start

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

sportsgenius86 posted:

Braxton Miller vs Kendall Fuller in Monday Night Labor Day Football :getin:

e: Why would Urbz announce this now? All it does is give Bud Foster one less QB to have to possibly plan for.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
He will probably play a ton of slot and take a lot of jet sweeps.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Frinkahedron posted:

Braxton Miller vs Kendall Fuller in Monday Night Labor Day Football :getin:

e: Why would Urbz announce this now? All it does is give Bud Foster one less QB to have to possibly plan for.

Because he knows cardale jones will wreck whatever gameplan foster comes up with

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
It's confirmed that Braxton is moving to H Back. Primarily jet sweeps and probably hand offs out of the backfield.

I think Barrett wins the job as he is the most efficient choice for the offense.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Metapod posted:

Because he knows cardale jones will wreck whatever gameplan foster comes up with

Meh, I think Bud keeps it close until the 4th when our defense runs out of gas because our offense won't stay on the field. See one Crimson Tide, Alabama (2009/2013).

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Rad Valtar posted:

It's confirmed that Braxton is moving to H Back. Primarily jet sweeps and probably hand offs out of the backfield.

I think Barrett wins the job as he is the most efficient choice for the offense.

Eh, I think "starting QB" just became a nebulous term. In terms of playing styles Barrett is very Leak-ish where he's efficient and distributes well within the offense whereas Cardale can do weird Tebow power runs and funslinging. I'm expecting some situational stuff for Cardale here because frankly Urban would be real dumb to not consider the possibilities of having a small battle ship with a cannon arm to randomly throw in the game.

Raku posted:

is what urban meyer told him to keep him from going to another playoff ready team where he could start

He's an Ohio kid who plays for his dream school and just won a ring. There's literally no scout who thinks he can start at QB in the NFL. His best asset has always been his scrambling. And it's unknown if his shoulder will ever be what it used to be. Urban may not always be the most savory character, but acting like he just did Braxton some major disservice when Braxton is probably a top 5 or so pure athlete in college ball and likely to make the switch at the next level is a stretch. Much less, dude just got a ring riding the pine behind the other two guys with most of that team coming back and he's going to be a legend in Columbus with the legacy he's leaving. It's really hard to criticize a guy who has always been a godly runner and mediocre passer deciding to focus on the running part when that's the most likely to make him actual money.

Edit: Reading through the article again, it basically seems like this is a precaution largely because they don't want him blowing his arm out again and want him contributing. Considering his most recent shoulder blowout happened in normal workouts, that's probably for the best letting him ease into things and focus on contributing however else he can.

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 24, 2015

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Metapod posted:

lol foster is going to wreck shop, the real question is can the offense score 3 or 4 times.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Ohio State is going to do this this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8GVAJk2lM

I am going to be forced to like them for being awesome.

Note: if they do not, then they deserved to be shunned from football for the rest of eternity.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Several of those looked like they have been a disaster if Cornell had been able to defend, like, at all.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

Several of those looked like they have been a disaster if Cornell had been able to defend, like, at all.

If you have two QB's, you have no QB. If you have 3 QB's, you are either Ohio State or right proper hosed.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

Nah, we'd have been kicked out of the SEC in the 60s for recruiting black players.

:thurman:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm laughing hard at the idea of Miller lining up at WR for the first time and having to play against Fuller.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well I bought tickets to see Iowa State play at Toledo. I guess the Glass Bowl should be cool? I don't plan to stay in Toledo long, just going to drive up and drive out, but does anyone know if they tailgate before Toledo games?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm laughing hard at the idea of Miller lining up at WR for the first time and having to play against Fuller.

They'll put him in the slot and try and run sweeps with him, maybe screens. There is no way even with OSU's smaller route tree that he's a real WR come labor day. If they do line that up, I'll be laughing hard too.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Crotch Bat posted:

It would be real stupid to put Fuller on the most inexperienced receiver on the field.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

The Notorious ZSB posted:

They'll put him in the slot and try and run sweeps with him, maybe screens. There is no way even with OSU's smaller route tree that he's a real WR come labor day. If they do line that up, I'll be laughing hard too.

Yeah, this is right. H-back is the "Percy Harvin" position, not a traditional WR. It's a slot WR-RB hybrid.

We'll run jet sweeps with maybe the option to pass and line him up in the backfield along Elliott to run (quadruple?) read-option stuff. It's going to be awesome.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Rad Valtar posted:

It would be real stupid to put Fuller on the most inexperienced receiver on the field.

^This. Fuller is going to be assigned one of Thomas or Marshall with Facyson or however you spell his name taking the other. Foster would have to be a moron to stick his best player on a guy who is basically going to be a west coast running back in how he's used, and Bud Foster isn't dumb. Braxton as an actual receiver will be used like Dontre was as a freshman, lots of jet sweeps, screens, and quick passes, nothing overly technical, although the trick play potential is now incredible.

I enjoyed that word is apparently spreading that Urban is annoyed this got out since he wasn't planning on announcing it for a bit to prevent anyone from planning for it--means he isn't underestimating Foster's ability to scheme like last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I grabbed tickets to Mizzou's home opener Labor Day weekend against the mighty Redhawks of Southeast Missouri State. Looking forward to the one game this year Maty Mauk looks competent, possibly having my degree rescinded, and seeing if Shakespeare's still has the deadly $3.50 triple well special.

• Locked thread