Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
So I recently bought the eShop version of Metroid Prime Trilogy and I finally sat down and played it tonight. While playing it I noticed some weird issue with a black border that cover the outer edge of the screen. I am using an Asus 1080p PC monitor and when I play normal Wii U game I never have this issue, does anyone here know of a way to fix this? I can take I picture of it if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Toxsyl posted:

So I recently bought the eShop version of Metroid Prime Trilogy and I finally sat down and played it tonight. While playing it I noticed some weird issue with a black border that cover the outer edge of the screen. I am using an Asus 1080p PC monitor and when I play normal Wii U game I never have this issue, does anyone here know of a way to fix this? I can take I picture of it if needed.

Its a thing with all Wii games on the Wii U if you're set up at 1080p, if you go down to 720p you'll get rid of it.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

But she kept dat ass.
So would I have to do this in the Wii U settings or on my monitor?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On your Wii U

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

But she kept dat ass.
This did not fix my issues.

Edit: After some reading it seems that for some reason this game does not like HDMI.

Toxsyl fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 23, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah don't play The Lost Levels. It's simply not worth it. The All Stars Version manages to be even worse if you're totally OCD and want to 100% the game, since if you beat the game without using warp pipes then you've got World 9, A, B, C and D as bonus worlds to complete.

You should play the Mario Land to Wario games and also the Yoshi games until you hit the DS games though. They're all consistently good.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I once found someone on miiverse who was novelizing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. I hope he completed his life work before the changes took place.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah don't play The Lost Levels. It's simply not worth it. The All Stars Version manages to be even worse if you're totally OCD and want to 100% the game, since if you beat the game without using warp pipes then you've got World 9, A, B, C and D as bonus worlds to complete.

W9 is accessed by beating the game without warps and in the original version it'd just loop endlessly until you ran out of lives, but the All-Stars version lets you progress as normal once you clear 9-4.

A/B/C/D are just tacked onto the end of the All-Stars version and you don't need to do anything special to reach them aside from beating 8-4 (or 9-4), but in the original Lost Levels you had to loop the game eight times to reach them all.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Worlds A/B/C/D were in the original FDS game, you just had to beat the full game 8 times in a row to get to them. All Stars makes it so that you only have to beat the game once to access them, which makes it the better version for a completionist by far.

Edit: poo poo, missed that the 8 loops thing was mentioned in the last post.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Lost Levels is great because every time I beat it, I know I'm better than some Japanese kid who thought it was too hard.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Toxsyl posted:

This did not fix my issues.

Edit: After some reading it seems that for some reason this game does not like HDMI.
It might have something to do with the fact that Trilogy doesn't support true widescreen. When you set it to widescreen it's actually just stretching the game, your field of view isn't widened at all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

arcsig posted:

It might have something to do with the fact that Trilogy doesn't support true widescreen. When you set it to widescreen it's actually just stretching the game, your field of view isn't widened at all.

Yes it does? I think the HUD of Prime 1 doesn't support widescreen, but the games themselves should be in proper 16:9. I think that black border is actually part of the overscan, meaning you wouldn't have been able to see it on a TV like the games were meant for. For whatever reason, a PC monitor doesn't have any overscan, so you're seeing the entire image.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes it does? I think the HUD of Prime 1 doesn't support widescreen, but the games themselves should be in proper 16:9. I think that black border is actually part of the overscan, meaning you wouldn't have been able to see it on a TV like the games were meant for. For whatever reason, a PC monitor doesn't have any overscan, so you're seeing the entire image.
Maybe that's what I was thinking? But I swear I remember testing it and the field of view was the same. Either way, Trilogy's widescreen is weird. I remember the map being stretched really horribly in 16:9.

EDIT: Here's an example of the map screen from Paraxade's widescreen mod vs the Trilogy map screen: https://twitter.com/Paraxade0/status/596456485250605056

arcsig fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 23, 2015

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Yoshi's woolly world absolutely wrecks Yoshi's Island. It's so good.

Whoever designed the second special level is actually Satan though :argh:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Waterfall of Salt posted:

does the "hhhhhhggggghhhhhh" sound get annoying at all?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Does the GBA version of Yoshi's Island available on the eShop hold up to the original or should I just find another way to play the SNES version??

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

codenameFANGIO posted:

Does the GBA version of Yoshi's Island available on the eShop hold up to the original or should I just find another way to play the SNES version??

The GBA version has some extra levels, so it has that going for it.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Find the SNES version if you can. I played the GBA version once and a lot of things just felt off and made it less enjoyable, even though the level design was faithful.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's great but the sound is slightly off.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The US version of SNES Yoshi's Island is so damned expensive. I just imported a Japanese copy for a fraction of the price, and its just fine if you don't mind being unable to read the small amount of text in the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waterfall of Salt posted:

I'm still most assuredly loving my wrist up trying to complete the first Special Level :shepface:. I'm not finishing without all the Flowers and Wonder Wools, because gently caress doing it twice.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I asked about how to get a Wiimote in Europe a few days ago.

I ended up buying a used Wii that came with two, one with the motionplus thing inside and another without, plus two nunchucks. For 50€.

So if you live in Shithole, Europe try getting a second hand console! It comes with Wiimotes.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

remember the rumored Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon port to Wii U from a year or so back?

well, it looks like Dark Moon's assets sure are in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPEiywuvo2Q

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Zonekeeper posted:

The US version of SNES Yoshi's Island is so damned expensive. I just imported a Japanese copy for a fraction of the price, and its just fine if you don't mind being unable to read the small amount of text in the game.

It can be had for ~$35, if you really want it. Not terrible for a first-party AAA rated game.

Back in 2010 I got a mint, complete in box copy for $40

e: importing games is definitely the way to go, though. So ridiculously cheap for a lot of 'em.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I got the SNES version of Yoshi's island for like 15 bucks.

And I have it protected by the Genesis type SNES plastic cases that display the cover art.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 23, 2015

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Not a Children posted:

It can be had for ~$35, if you really want it. Not terrible for a first-party AAA rated game.

Back in 2010 I got a mint, complete in box copy for $40

e: importing games is definitely the way to go, though. So ridiculously cheap for a lot of 'em.

Got my Japanese copy for all of $6 - $12 after shipping.

The only game that seems to be the exception to being super cheap overseas is Super Metroid. Makes sense, as the US/JP versions have the exact same ROM in them, but it still throws me off when I compare it to stuff like Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger, which are worth maybe $5-10 in japan but $75+ here.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 23, 2015

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
For those on the fence waiting for a Wii U sale: Best Buy is having a "Black Friday in July" (ugh) sale today through Sat.

Wii U with Splatoon and Nintendo Land with free Pro Controller and "essentials kit" (Gamepad case / protective skin / 2 replacement styluses / screen cleaner)

Not a fantastic deal, but that Pro Controller is awesome and sucks to buy at $50 later.

Oh, and free shipping. Online only deal.

Edit: there's a Mario 3D World bundle too.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 23, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I picked up a copy of Mother 2 at Otakon when I was in middle school for like $20, thinking I got a great deal. I think it could actually be had for like 500 yen online, but what did I know, I was 14 and dumb.

I taught myself japanese so I could struggle my way through it, then liked it enough to buy an NA copy off of ebay for $60, y'know, back when it could be had for that little. Too bad just buying the SFC version doesn't really pan out for most RPGs unless you're willing to take a language lesson

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone pick up Isaac on Wii U? How is it?

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Overemotional Robot posted:

For those on the fence waiting for a Wii U sale: Best Buy is having a "Black Friday in July" (ugh) sale today through Sat.

Wii U with Splatoon and Nintendo Land with free Pro Controller and "essentials kit" (Gamepad case / protective skin / 2 replacement styluses / screen cleaner)

Not a fantastic deal, but that Pro Controller is awesome and sucks to buy at $50 later.

Thanks for the heads up, have a link? What's the bundle price come out to?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nintendo Europe released the in-depth PR video with Itagaki throwing commentary about the game. We've seen it before, but this time it comes with English subtitles.

At least someone in Nintendo still believes in the game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Excels posted:

does the "hhhhhhggggghhhhhh" sound get annoying at all?

Get OUT.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Overemotional Robot posted:

loving Best Buy. Just bought the Splatoon Wii U bundle from them last weekend along with a pro controller. :argh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Other than SMB, M&L, Paper Mario, Wario and Yoshi are there any other subcategories of the mario games that need to be played?

Minis on the Move?
How about that Princess Peach game?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mario's Picross, Mario is Missing, Mario's Game Gallery

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The Minis games are mostly bland. Super Princess Peach is decent enough if you can find it for, like, $10. Kind of an unfortunate central mechanic though

Also even in her own game Peach gets upstaged by a goddamn umbrella prince or some poo poo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Play the game boy donkey kong game on the 3ds virtual console.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Not a Children posted:

I picked up a copy of Mother 2 at Otakon when I was in middle school for like $20, thinking I got a great deal. I think it could actually be had for like 500 yen online, but what did I know, I was 14 and dumb.

I taught myself japanese so I could struggle my way through it, then liked it enough to buy an NA copy off of ebay for $60, y'know, back when it could be had for that little. Too bad just buying the SFC version doesn't really pan out for most RPGs unless you're willing to take a language lesson

There's fully translated text guides for Mother 2 and I played the game this way.

Also the auto translate apps for ipads and poo poo can read the TV text.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cartoon Man posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_%28Game_Boy%29

That one? Why?

• Locked thread