Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaz-L posted:

Hands up, who's still got theirs? Keep 'em up if you still have em displayed.
:wave: And I've got the Flash ring, and a Legion flight ring that was a Heroclix thing but made off the same model as the others, so it's totally wearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

:wave: And I've got the Flash ring, and a Legion flight ring that was a Heroclix thing but made off the same model as the others, so it's totally wearable.

I don't have all the lantern rings but I do have the Legion and Flash ones. Although I think the Flash one is far to small for me to wear. We usually put them on our little Christmas tree during the holidays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Booblord Zagats posted:

It did, the IC thread in GBS is the sole reason BSS was created. There were tons of avatars of people with wild guesses to the perpetrator from possible culprits like Deathstroke, Dr. light etc to crazy poo poo like Plastic man, Mighty Mouse and time traveling Hitler

I still say it should have been Black Lightning.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Hands up, who's still got theirs? Keep 'em up if you still have em displayed.

Got 'em all and the Flash ring.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I'm about to dive into 52. Any context I need before I go in? I've read Identity Crisis a couple of DC things from the era but not Infinite Crisis or its tie-ins.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Infinite Crisis would be useful but not super important. It does a pretty good job of introducing it's characters and concepts

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm about to dive into 52. Any context I need before I go in? I've read Identity Crisis a couple of DC things from the era but not Infinite Crisis or its tie-ins.

A shitload of stuff happened in DC in pretty much every corner. Space, magic, spies, superheroes, etc. It all ended up being orchestrated by Alexander Luthor (the son of Lex Luthor from a universe where Lex was the hero and the superheroes were evil), but you don't have to worry about him thanks to the main universe's Lex Luthor. One big deal in there was that nearly all the villains joined together into this big-rear end conglomerate and one of the inner circle leaders was Black Adam. Alexander betrayed him for his own purposes and Adam ended up working alongside all the heroes in stopping the joined force of villains.

By the end of Infinite Crisis, instead of one reality, there were suddenly 52 identical realities. Also, Superman lost his powers, Batman decided to go on a sabbatical with Nightwing and Robin to rediscover himself and Wonder Woman also took a break while I guess losing her powers too. They all return after 52 takes place.

A bunch of heroes went into space as part of the Crisis plot. Not all of them made it back home.

The Wizard Shazam died at the hands of the Spectre. Captain Marvel has taken over in his place. Other major deaths include Blue Beetle (Ted Kord, best friend of Booster Gold) and Superboy (half-clone of Lex Luthor).

I think that's it. You read Identity Crisis, so you'll know what's up with Elongated Man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ror posted:

Anyway, I think I found the big one here in BSS, maybe it got moved: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1245781 And here is the original GBS thread that started before IC was released: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1077262

It's depressing reading people come up with theories and try to solve a mystery that just ends up irrepairably flawed and lovely. I'm sorry, past goons! This is a terrible story, and logic will get you nowhere.

Also, op has a weird sig.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still bitter that all those fuckers went and got IC avatars when I went to work.

FUCKERS.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Gavok posted:

A shitload of stuff happened in DC in pretty much every corner. Space, magic, spies, superheroes, etc. It all ended up being orchestrated by Alexander Luthor (the son of Lex Luthor from a universe where Lex was the hero and the superheroes were evil), but you don't have to worry about him thanks to the main universe's Lex Luthor. One big deal in there was that nearly all the villains joined together into this big-rear end conglomerate and one of the inner circle leaders was Black Adam. Alexander betrayed him for his own purposes and Adam ended up working alongside all the heroes in stopping the joined force of villains.

By the end of Infinite Crisis, instead of one reality, there were suddenly 52 identical realities. Also, Superman lost his powers, Batman decided to go on a sabbatical with Nightwing and Robin to rediscover himself and Wonder Woman also took a break while I guess losing her powers too. They all return after 52 takes place.

A bunch of heroes went into space as part of the Crisis plot. Not all of them made it back home.

The Wizard Shazam died at the hands of the Spectre. Captain Marvel has taken over in his place. Other major deaths include Blue Beetle (Ted Kord, best friend of Booster Gold) and Superboy (half-clone of Lex Luthor).

I think that's it. You read Identity Crisis, so you'll know what's up with Elongated Man.

Awesome, thanks a lot. I've just finished JSA and a lot of what you're talking about gets hinted at in there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Currently working on the Street Fighter one (and eventually Tekken)! Which involves trying to figure out which one of the paper-thin SF1 characters was the absolute worst. I've decided it's Lee.

Charlie better be in the bottom 10.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Hell no. Charlie Nash is a Barry Allen/Bucky Barnes hybrid of a character who looks like cartoon Egon, does one-handed Sonic Booms and will not loving die no matter how many times M. Bison tries to wipe him out. Plus he's the only entertaining part of the terrible Chun-Li movie, even if it's because Chris Klein is so terrible that it loops around into him being amazing.

Nah, Charlie's in the top ten.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

Hell no. Charlie Nash is a Barry Allen/Bucky Barnes hybrid of a character who looks like cartoon Egon, does one-handed Sonic Booms and will not loving die no matter how many times M. Bison tries to wipe him out. Plus he's the only entertaining part of the terrible Chun-Li movie, even if it's because Chris Klein is so terrible that it loops around into him being amazing.

You're goddamn right! Although I will go to bat for Michael Clark Duncan as another entertaining part of The Legend Of Chun-Li, because Michael Clark Duncan popping out of a limo to shoot off rockets while laughing his rear end off is cinema gold.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

I think Street Fighter vs. X-Men might be my favorite 2d fighter, and this is a good chunk of why. (The other chunk is because my best friend in high school had it on Saturn and even though he owned the loving game and I didn't I would still usually kick his rear end).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Maltose posted:

You're goddamn right! Although I will go to bat for Michael Clark Duncan as another entertaining part of The Legend Of Chun-Li, because Michael Clark Duncan popping out of a limo to shoot off rockets while laughing his rear end off is cinema gold.

Man, MCD has appeared in some real loving awful adaptions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

Man, MCD has appeared in some real loving awful adaptions.

A paycheck is a paycheck.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
When casting calls went out for "people with impossible physiques that can't possibly exist in the real world", that was a real short list.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I still say it should have been Black Lightning.

I was pretty sold on it being Nightwing, as a post-War Games "Stop letting generation after generation punch each other to death in stupid costumes" thing. He's wearing the same jacket as the killer in issue one, he would have had JLA access, and he's got the means and the ability to work outside of Batman's traditional investigative methods. As Batman's sidekick throughout the Silver Age, he also would have known Lois's identity, and his background as a Teen Titan would even have made the involvement of Dr. Light and Deathstroke in the plot make more sense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

:(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I think you spelled top 10 wrong.

Gavok posted:

See! This guy gets it.

And he's a zombie now too!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just think taking a guy who's entire gimmick is being a rough and tumble soldier who fights with military training and GUTS and then saying "but his friend who taught him those moves is WAY COOLER and wears fashion glasses and is pleasingly skinny and adds stylish flair to the moves and is a total bishie" is terrible.

I prefer the Charlie from the Malibu comics, who Guile had to stab in the heart when he ate some food Bison had put weird psycho-chemicals in.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I just think taking a guy who's entire gimmick is being a rough and tumble soldier who fights with military training and GUTS and then saying "but his friend who taught him those moves is WAY COOLER and wears fashion glasses and is pleasingly skinny and adds stylish flair to the moves and is a total bishie" is terrible.

Charlie was a concept the moment they introduced Guile, so when they did a prequel game, they basically HAD to include him, so it's not like he came out of nowhere. Rather than make him "Guile but shittier" they decided to make him more of a mentor because if Guile is going to sacrifice his life and loved ones for revenge, it better be for someone who's pretty drat awesome. And while Guile went after Bison for revenge (he was originally sent to stop Charlie from going after Bison due to orders from a corrupt higher-up), along with Chun-Li, T-Hawk, etc. Charlie didn't need an excuse. He simply knew Bison needed to be taken down and went on a one-man mission to do so. Corrupt officers told him to stop and kept going. Bison would be all "If he's not dead now, at least he knows not to mess with me" and Charlie kept going.

And now he's a Frankenstein Winter Soldier, which rules.

To get back to comic talk, the UDON comic story about how he and Guile first met was pretty cool too.

quote:

I prefer the Charlie from the Malibu comics, who Guile had to stab in the heart when he ate some food Bison had put weird psycho-chemicals in.

Um... when was this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

... what? Charlie is beefy as hell, he just wears a big-rear end jacket.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Currently working on the Street Fighter one (and eventually Tekken)! Which involves trying to figure out which one of the paper-thin SF1 characters was the absolute worst. I've decided it's Lee.
Please link when done.

And Dan better be top 10.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Please link when done.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Do you even know Gavok? Dan will be #1. #2 at worst.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Dan is top 10 in all of our hearts.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Just as long as you guys aren't fans of Ingrid and El Fuerte. Because when the character is a luchador and even I find him insufferable, he's gotta be poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How much did Kreuk hurt Chun-Li's ranking?

Actually, correction, how quickly did Kreuk's lesbian mating dance put Chun-Li in the bottom 50?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I love playing as Chun-Li but her character objectively sucks and is dumb.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Ryu a lot even though to most people he's bland. I like a lot of characters others think are boring come to think of it, like Cyclops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Aside from Nash being dead and Ryu scarring Sagat's chest I have almost no knowledge of Street Fighters storyline, but you're still wrong.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Chun Li is very much the Wonder Woman of Street Fighter, only popular/important because she was like, the original girl. Cammy, Poison, Ibuki, and Sakura are way better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wonder Woman and Chun-Li both loving rule so I guess your analogy is accurate even if you're wrong as gently caress.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

WickedHate posted:

Chun Li is very much the Wonder Woman of Street Fighter, only popular/important because she was like, the original girl. Cammy, Poison, Ibuki, and Sakura are way better.

THANK YOU.

WickedHate posted:

I like Ryu a lot even though to most people he's bland. I like a lot of characters others think are boring come to think of it, like Cyclops.

You should read the SF3: Ryu Final manga if you haven't already. It made me really like the character and it's filled with so many badass scenes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

You should read the SF3: Ryu Final manga if you haven't already. It made me really like the character and it's filled with so many badass scenes.

Ahhh I really need to read like, every Street Fighter comic.

Except Malibu, obviously. Every Street Fighter comic after that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gavok posted:

THANK YOU.

Maybe because it was I didn't have a dog i the race, but I liked your Mortal Kombat article, it sounds like I'm going to loving hate your Street Fighter one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Maybe because it was I didn't have a dog i the race, but I liked your Mortal Kombat article, it sounds like I'm going to loving hate your Street Fighter one.

You'll be completely indifferent to the Tekken article.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

You'll be completely indifferent to the Tekken article.

I'm surprised anyone has an opinion on Tekken characters beyond "Wait, there's a panda?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

All I know about Tekken is that someone got thrown in a volcano.