Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finishing up the first of many Space Wolf Dreadnoughts. It's all magnetized, which was a pain but now every option fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Finished up some Malifaux stuff. Collodi and his little doll friends.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

So finally after a 6 month painting break and moving country, I am back into action.

More Kingdom Death WIP on the Visionary and Storm Knight, with the White Speaker there just for scale comparisons.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What is the thread recommending for US domestic matte spray varnish again? Krylon?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I thought it was Dullcote.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Testors Glosscote and Dullcote are the go-to in the US. Time has moved on, now, there are far more clear lacquers that won't ruin minis or look like poop. Krylon's "Crystal Clear" series has done me justice. The gloss isn't as glossy but the finished product isn't as flat when I top it with matte finish, either. Seems durable so far.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

He's done. Now for the base.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crime fighting hog posted:

He's done. Now for the base.

Cut off his arms and see if they grow back.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fsmhunk posted:

Cut off his arms and see if they grow back.

"What are you gonna do, bleed on me?!"

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
:kingsley: Finished my Pyroclasts! :kingsley:
(although I have realised I need to touch up the inking on some of the shoulderpads where it bled and I didn't notice until I was actually posting this, but gently caress it)

Pretty happy with these. I'm still a fairly amateur hour painter but I think from tabletop distance they look pretty good. I got an interesting tip I used for the fuel hoses - pipe cleaners, burned up with a lighter.

http://imgur.com/a/RNrmr

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Roboute Guilliman Incoming

Proper pleased with how he turned out, and it was a lot more enjoyable to paint than I originally thought it was going to be

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
God drat that's so awesome. Right now I'm strictly a historical scale model builder, but I want to build WarHam dioramas and non-game-related things, so that's a damned inspiration.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
That rules skarsnik

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

That rules skarsnik

Robot Gullyman owns, Skarsnik owns, everything owns.

Those salamander dudes are pretty sweet too especially Vulkan. It almost makes me want to paint some salamander stuff I still have sitting around. Almost.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's the scale of the minis in the Reaper Bones 3 kickstarter? I'm teetering on the edge of backing it before it expires in a couple days, just at the $100 basic box level.

That's a lot of goddamn minis. I guess the main use for them would be fun to paint + display + use for tabletop RPG's?

Edit: dayum, shipping the basic level set to me in Germany is almost half as much again as the minis themselves cost.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 23, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Heroic scale 28mm. That means they're 28mm to the eyes on a model meant to be about 6'. They vary a bit, since they use a lot of different sculptors, but that's the basic range. Pretty comparable to Warhammer, WarmaHordes, Malifaux, and other miniature lines.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

What's the scale of the minis in the Reaper Bones 3 kickstarter? I'm teetering on the edge of backing it before it expires in a couple days, just at the $100 basic box level.

That's a lot of goddamn minis. I guess the main use for them would be fun to paint + display + use for tabletop RPG's?

Edit: dayum, shipping the basic level set to me is almost half as much again as the minis themselves cost.

Most of them (if not all) should be between 28-32mm scale, usually with "heroic" rather than realistic proportions. (Of course, that's assuming the molds get scaled right by their Chinese manufacturer; the Kaladrax model from Bones I was famously hilariously oversized compared to their original plan.)
Reaper markets the Bones minis as being cheap and durable; they're made from a kind of PVC, so they're soft and flexible at the cost of detail (think pre-painted miniatures, minus the paint). Also, trimming mold lines is kind of a pain. But if you can get around that, they're an excellent option for frequently-used tabletop games, especially if your players are butterfingers like me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Proper pleased with how he turned out, and it was a lot more enjoyable to paint than I originally thought it was going to be

Owns.

I also like how you too gave up on trying to get the trophy things straight.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cheers guys :)

They're not even straight on the studio shots, I gave up very quickly

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Fantastic work, so many little details.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Should I be thinning vallejo surface primer or can I just go straight into an airbrush with it?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Partial Octopus posted:

Should I be thinning vallejo surface primer or can I just go straight into an airbrush with it?

It should go through as-is without a problem.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Partial Octopus posted:

No thinning required

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Kingdom Death Storm Knight.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Do you have a higher resolution version of that? I can't see anything.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Skarsnik posted:

That's great all around. Love the metallics though, especially the sword.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Skarsnik posted:

That is goddamn amazing. May I ask how you did the marble because it looks so perfect?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

amazing job!

oh myyyyyyy! :allears:

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well let's be fair, it is a kingdom of death figure.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

:flaccid: Good eye, Moola.

I've never been good at flames so this figure has me shaking in my boots just looking at it, well done Ether.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bachtere posted:

Cheers dude. Silver was done in the same way I did typhus's scythe, just going up to mithril and using purple and turquoise for the glazes. The gold was the 'eavy metal studio recipe for the Sigmarines

The Sisko posted:

That is goddamn amazing. May I ask how you did the marble because it looks so perfect?

Thanks!

As far as the marble went, I read every guide I could find, didn't really like any of them, so combined a few ideas and mostly winged it.

From what i can remember:

Over a black undercoat, thin and streaky basecoat in patches of Dheneb Stone, Screaming Skull and Kislev Flesh

Watered down some nuln oil with lahmian medium. Blopped it onto the surface, not as a wash, but so it was sitting as a proper pudddle a cm or so across. A large brushes worth, in points all over the surface. Left it for 5 mins or so, then sucked out the liquid from the centre with a dry brush so all that was left was the tide marks from the edges (the thing you'd normally try to avoid when washing!). I then did the same with Hormaguant purple, in the spaces in between the black. So that left lots of black/purple patches with thicker lines all joined together all over the surface

Sponged all over Tallarn Sand, up to the point only really the strongest of the dark lines could be seen.

Went back over some of the lines with charondon granite, following the existing lines, but really not doing too many.

Sponge with Dheneb Stone, Sponged with Screaming Skull (because they were still on my palette from the first bit)

Sponge with Dheneb Stone + White Scar, and then again with more White Scar mixed in.

Recess shade with thinned Abaddon Black / Rhinox Hide

At this point it looked kinda chalky, so I gave a couple of decent coats of Microsol Micro flat, which is a very slightly glossy varnish. Airbrushed, but it could be brushed on too.

Edge highlight with skull white, just drybrushed on to the edges

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 24, 2015

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Moola posted:

amazing job!

oh myyyyyyy! :allears:

Unfortunately, that is just how the colours work out. On the mode there is no wang.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bachtere posted:

:staredog:

I think my favourite thing about miniature painting is that everyone has their own way of doing things. Marble is the perfect example of this.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 24, 2015

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Not miniature painting persay, but there doesn't seem to be a general hobby craft thread sooo...

I made myself a card storage box from a cheap little plywood box. :shrug:

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

:staredog:

I think my favourite thing about miniature painting is that everyone has their own way of doing things. Marble is the perfect example of this.

Very much so. I had no idea how to do it on my model's base. So I just dived in and looked at some images and mucked around.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

:respek:

I just got some solar power turn tables for my cabinet. Going to turn the living room into my own version of WHW.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Skarsnik posted:

There cannot be enough posts about how great this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thank you again :)

serious gaylord posted:

:respek:

I just got some solar power turn tables for my cabinet. Going to turn the living room into my own version of WHW.

Yeah Rob tipped my cabinet into way too full stage, will have to add another glass shelf into my Kallax