Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Severed posted:

I poked around the videos a bit and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsvvIut19uA

You know, I'm a bigger Doom dork than most, but even this made me blush. Still pretty awesome though.
:laffo:
The fact that it's 50 minutes long is the most embarrassing part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

david_a posted:

:laffo:
The fact that it's 50 minutes long is the most embarrassing part.

Dedication to the craft. We can all hope to achieve that someday.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom 4 multi pre-alpha is at Quakecon, keep 'em peeled for reactions.

Also, there'll be an alpha test this year, before next year's Wolfenstein pre-order beta. Will you get in? Probably not.

Bethesda posted:

In the coming months, we’ll be selecting Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC players from the Wolfenstein: TNO Beta pool to participate in the DOOM Multiplayer Alpha. To make sure you’re eligible, make sure you redeem your DOOM Beta code at https://www.wolfenstein.com/doom. If you purchased the game digitally through Steam, PSN, or Xbox Live, you’re already set — you have a digital entitlement that will ready you for the Alpha when it starts.

As a reminder, everyone that pre-ordered Wolfenstein: the New Order is eligible to participate in the multiplayer beta planned for next year before DOOM’s 2016 release.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Apparently there's something new with Rise of the Triad coming up? I'm kinda excited, RotT13 wasn't terribly great I thought, it had some issues, but when it came together just right it was a lot of fun. Reworking boss fights would be a must, since those were absolutely dreadful, and less platforming would be nice. What would you want to see/not see in a new RotT?

Also it sounds like Doom 4 is going to have a personal teleporter that you can telefrag other players with and a static electricity gun that gets ammo from you running around and loses ammo when you stand still.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

What would you want to see/not see in a new RotT?

Also it sounds like Doom 4 is going to have a personal teleporter that you can telefrag other players with and a static electricity gun that gets ammo from you running around and loses ammo when you stand still.
If not the ability to save, just much more frequent checkpoints. That level where you go through the crazy pillar fire puzzles etc and return to a main hub, often not saving yet, ay yi yi that level. And a better feel for the weapons and combat I guess.

Very pumped for any Doom news, hell yeah.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally, what I'd like for RotT13 is the ability to backtrack properly. As it is, it shuts doors behind you at certain points that will never reopen, which is really drat annoying.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
They patched in saving to RotT13, didn't they? I really didn't like that game as much as I thought I would but it seemed like they were willing to give it a lot of post-release love.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Geight posted:

They patched in saving to RotT13, didn't they? I really didn't like that game as much as I thought I would but it seemed like they were willing to give it a lot of post-release love.
They did, although my mid-game save wouldn't let me quicksave at all. It worked when I had to restart the game over (for reasons), though.

Personally, I'm just glad this stopped happening to me - might be because I'm using a GeForce GTX970 now instead of a Radeon HD5870, but either way!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I liked ROTT13 a lot more after quicksave was patched. Several bits of the game that were nightmares to complete became a lot more tolerable when you could save right before doing things like hopping over a lava pit via poor physics.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Rott13 was a gigantic piece of poo poo and everyone needs to stop pretending otherwise

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Were any of the wave of retro-inspired FPSs in the past few years any good, really?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the shadow warrior remake actually was pretty well done

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Amethyst posted:

Rott13 was a gigantic piece of poo poo and everyone needs to stop pretending otherwise

(so was ROTT :twisted:)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the shadow warrior remake actually was pretty well done

It is a good first person sword game, not a first person shooter, because of how awful the weapons are.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Alain Post posted:

Were any of the wave of retro-inspired FPSs in the past few years any good, really?

NOPE, EVERYTHING'S poo poo *lights candle by Carmack shrine*

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For some reason I would play the original ROTT and kill myself with the Firebomb over and over again and every time the fire would approach me, I'd imagine I was one of the ill-fated pilots from that scene in Independence Day.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Alain Post posted:

(so was ROTT :twisted:)

Agreed

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
ROTT 2013 was a perfect modernization of ROTT DOS, for better or worse.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alain Post posted:

Wolfenstein 2009 was pretty good(at least the single player was)

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Alain Post posted:

Does TNO count?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Apparently there's something new with Rise of the Triad coming up? I'm kinda excited, RotT13 wasn't terribly great I thought, it had some issues, but when it came together just right it was a lot of fun. Reworking boss fights would be a must, since those were absolutely dreadful, and less platforming would be nice. What would you want to see/not see in a new RotT?
Judging by the fact that video was uploaded by the composer, and it's all snippets of ROTT13 music, I'm guessing it's finally the ROTT13 soundtrack's release, which has kept getting delayed for god knows what reason.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I really dislike Rise of the Triad. Mainly because it keeps jamming my brain every time I try to remember the name of Rise of the Dragon. :ohdear:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

It is a good first person sword game, not a first person shooter, because of how awful the weapons are.

Yeah. At least the sequel seems to have massively improved its gun selection (and added more swords, just in case).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

Judging by the fact that video was uploaded by the composer, and it's all snippets of ROTT13 music, I'm guessing it's finally the ROTT13 soundtrack's release, which has kept getting delayed for god knows what reason.

Yeah, if you listen really closely, the voice in the background is saying something along the lines of 'The Rise of the Triad soundtrack by Andrew Hulshult will finally be released. Stay tuned for more information.'

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's some semi-recent bullshit concerning Randy Pitchford that I didn't know until now:

Five or so years ago, he made a contribution to Joystiq's "What's In A Name?" article series with a lengthy and detailed account of how he "won" the name Gearbox Software from Gabe Newell during a poker game on a river boat in New Orleans, and how Gabe had to settle for the consolation name Valve Software.

Not long after publishing the article, someone from Valve (Gabe, presumably) wrote to the editor to tell them Randy and Gabe didn't meet until after Half-Life shipped and that there's no way his story could be true based on the timeline Randy posted. The editors sent a bunch of "please explain" requests to Randy and eventually got a PR reply that said "yeah, he made it all up, he'll explain himself shortly"... but he never did.

It's a minor thing compared to all the insidious poo poo he pulled with Aliens and everything else, but it's crazy to me that he;s so comfortable spinning complete bullshit, even when it's as easy to disprove as his story was. You can read it here - like I said, it's long and detailed but it's not even that exciting, it's mostly just Randy jerking off about poker - but he put so much effort into a story that wasn't even a little bit true.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's some semi-recent bullshit concerning Randy Pitchford that I didn't know until now:

Five or so years ago, he made a contribution to Joystiq's "What's In A Name?" article series with a lengthy and detailed account of how he "won" the name Gearbox Software from Gabe Newell during a poker game on a river boat in New Orleans, and how Gabe had to settle for the consolation name Valve Software.

Not long after publishing the article, someone from Valve (Gabe, presumably) wrote to the editor to tell them Randy and Gabe didn't meet until after Half-Life shipped and that there's no way his story could be true based on the timeline Randy posted. The editors sent a bunch of "please explain" requests to Randy and eventually got a PR reply that said "yeah, he made it all up, he'll explain himself shortly"... but he never did.

It's a minor thing compared to all the insidious poo poo he pulled with Aliens and everything else, but it's crazy to me that he;s so comfortable spinning complete bullshit, even when it's as easy to disprove as his story was. You can read it here - like I said, it's long and detailed but it's not even that exciting, it's mostly just Randy jerking off about poker - but he put so much effort into a story that wasn't even a little bit true.

Between this guy and Anthony Burch it's pretty clear that Gearbox is full of childish tools.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pitchford's a pathological liar. I've dealt with several people like this, it's a psychological issue and they need help. Pitchford had my scorn before, but seeing this it's obvious that he only deserves my pity.

Mak0rz posted:

Between this guy and Anthony Burch it's pretty clear that Gearbox is full of childish tools.

Frankly, Burch is a dipshit who only has himself to blame for the poo poo that's happened to him. Pitchford isn't to blame for his neuroses.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Frankly, Burch is a dipshit who only has himself to blame for the poo poo that's happened to him. Pitchford isn't to blame for his neuroses.

What happened with Burch? Last I heard he left Gearbox to work on some TV show or something.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Anthony Burch also no longer works at Gearbox, and is at least self-aware enough to know that he's got problems. :shrug:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Genocyber posted:

What happened with Burch? Last I heard he left Gearbox to work on some TV show or something.

Aside from being the guy responsible for the incredibly lovely jokes in Borderlands, Anthony Burch pressured his then-wife into an open relationship because he was under the assumption that he'd be swimming in con pussy. His wife got all the sex and he didn't get any, even after going so far as to even pose as bisexual in order to get a date with a guy. His wife left him because she didn't want to be in an open relationship and took his Wii U.

Burch basically cucked himself and has nobody to blame but himself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hahahahaha, holy gently caress, that is GLORIOUS. Wow.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

truly the worst part

arcsig
May 29, 2015

E: Wait, my mistake, this is old news I think.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I just got Quake 2 in the steam sale, is there anything I need to know with regard to good sourceports and/or mods?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah. At least the sequel seems to have massively improved its gun selection (and added more swords, just in case).

Shadow Warrior 2 is looking really good. It looks like they really listened and fixed the stuff that was kept the first one from being amazing instead of just really fun.

A lot of the reload animations are pretty nice looking in it too. They seem to range from pretty cool to absolutely decadent.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

khwarezm posted:

I just got Quake 2 in the steam sale, is there anything I need to know with regard to good sourceports and/or mods?

I've found that the unofifcial 3.24 patch works great for Q2. It adds modern conveniences without breaking stuff, at least for SP.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ars has a small writeup of the Doom 4 QuakeCon demo .

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Quad Damage in Doom, neat. Sounds fun enough, and the mix of loadouts and pickups on the map seems like a fair compromise between classic Doom and modern Quake Live mechanics.

e: I love the old Quad Damage sound effect so I hope it's in there still.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
If they're going to borrow things from Quake they need to add a grenade launcher complete with the "DINK" sound from the grenades bouncing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

If they're going to borrow things from Quake they need to add a grenade launcher complete with the "DINK" sound from the grenades bouncing.

I want the Quake 1 Rocket Launcher. Kids these days need to learn the joy of rocket juggling and launching people halfway across the map with a single rocket.