Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Psion posted:

dear lockmart, hire me and I can solve this: Due to the new Tu-160s we restart the FB-22 discussion, use it as a backdoor to produce more F-22s. Everyone believes you implicitly when you say 80% parts commonality, after all.

Dear Lockmart, hire me instead. You know that littoral combat ship is a terrible failure, right? Well, I have an alternative for you: supersonic flying boats.

Also I've discovered something that the F-35D absolutely needs: hydrofoils. (LO hydrofoils?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also I've discovered something that the F-35D absolutely needs: hydrofoils. (LO hydrofoils?)

not enough tilt-rotor on that F-35D, application denied

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Psion posted:

not enough tilt-rotor on that F-35D, application denied

That's the F-35V, which will have similar modular mission units to the LCS, which include an AEW module, and a buddy refueling module. It'll be a drop-in V-22 replacement with a .95% parts commonality with the other F-35 (non-B) models.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I kind of wouldn't be surprised if over a 50 year lifecycle a 2-seat F-35D came about, if it's possible to fit a second person in there somehow.

e: a quick google finds a paper from a US military officer on the topic, and you'll never guess what branch he's part of! https://ericpalmer.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/needforf35twoseatvariant2008.pdf

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

PittTheElder posted:

Part of me loves this line about tanks, only because it points out the distances involved in modern tank combat. Effectively striking a target with a direct fire cannon at 2300m is pretty bananas.

I shall write a book about a hypothetical mass tank war in 1918, rife with exact technical details of the tanks that are falling over, sinking, catching fire or going over an obstacle and concussing their crew. No main gun rounds fired with have any lethal effects, except for those exploding due to breech failures.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dear Lockmart, hire me instead. You know that littoral combat ship is a terrible failure, right? Well, I have an alternative for you: supersonic flying boats.

How is that thing supposed to land on the water? :psyduck: Its wings are long enough that I dont trust them not to make the plane wobble if theres a good breeze at sea level, especially with the pontoons(?) pushing the fuselage floor nearly 10 feet high.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's also a flying boat; I think the hydrofoils are for taking off.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Communist Zombie posted:

How is that thing supposed to land on the water? :psyduck: Its wings are long enough that I dont trust them not to make the plane wobble if theres a good breeze at sea level, especially with the pontoons(?) pushing the fuselage floor nearly 10 feet high.

My guess is that pontoon is going to be fully immersed when the plane is stopped, with the wing pontoons resting on the surface. It's gonna be hella stable.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Tu-22Mchat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-MHEiOUK6c

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I usually don't care that much for Russian planes, but holy poo poo that sound :allears:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Red Army is great because Peters remembered that war loving sucks at the sharp end.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

"The Blackjack is Rodina's strap-on."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

Really? Like seriously worse than a design made in the 1950s? That takes some doing.

The KC-135 may be a design from the 1950s, but the engines on almost all of the tankers are CFM turbofans. I don't know if the military gets to enjoy any of the incremental efficiency benefits that come from being mounted under almost every 737 in the world, though.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Spaced God posted:

I usually don't care that much for Russian planes, but holy poo poo that sound :allears:

Seriously, it sounds like an F1 car as it approaches.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I want to like the F-35. But 220 rounds doesn't seem like a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoJ93Kb5z0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

_firehawk posted:

I want to like the F-35.

why?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

BIG HEADLINE posted:

and they're evidently so satisfied with them that they're building islands instead.

lol

Mortabis posted:

I kind of wouldn't be surprised if over a 50 year lifecycle a 2-seat F-35D came about, if it's possible to fit a second person in there somehow.

e: a quick google finds a paper from a US military officer on the topic, and you'll never guess what branch he's part of! https://ericpalmer.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/needforf35twoseatvariant2008.pdf

disband the marine corpse imo

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

_firehawk posted:

I want to like the F-35. But 220 rounds doesn't seem like a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoJ93Kb5z0

Compared to previous US fighters like the F-15 and F-16 it's not a lot, no. Compared to something like a Eurofighter Rafale, Gripen, MiG-29 or Su-27, it is.

(mind you those all use higher caliber rounds)

but really - I can't bring myself to care about the gun on the F-35. It's probably not going to win at knife fight ranges unless you're popping off a -9X so ... it's almost like Lockmart is being realistic for once :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 24, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At the max rate of fire for that gun, 220 rounds lasts something like 3.5 seconds. It's proportionately the same ammo as an AKM with one 30-round magazine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

At the max rate of fire for that gun, 220 rounds lasts something like 3.5 seconds. It's proportionately the same ammo as an AKM with one 30-round magazine.

In this analogy the AKM is your service pistol. Why carry an extra magazine for your never used sidearm if you could carry one for your main weapon?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Psion posted:

dear lockmart, hire me and I can solve this: Due to the new Tu-160s we restart the FB-22 discussion, use it as a backdoor to produce more F-22s. Everyone believes you implicitly when you say 80% parts commonality, after all.

1. Buy FB-23
2. USAF realizes it needs to replace F-15s with something that isn't F-35.
3. "Good thing we just cleaned off all this F-23 related tooling."
4. :getin:

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

popping off a -9X

Just to reinforce how cool HOBS heaters are, have that AIM-9X video from 15+ years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMSfg26YSQ

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LostCosmonaut posted:

1. Buy FB-23
2. USAF realizes it needs to replace F-15s with something that isn't F-35.
3. "Good thing we just cleaned off all this F-23 related tooling."
4. :getin:

Isn't half the tooling for the F-23 other planes tooling anyways? They used a lot of parts like the F-15's front wheels and F-18's landing gear.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Koesj posted:

gently caress, every piece of fiction I've seen on that kind of stuff, outside Red Army and Chieftains!, had a drawn-out, relatively low optempo conflict going on. The former was basically a well-written Team B manifesto for investment in conventional forces, and the latter is kinda scattershot, but at least they get 1980s-ish modern warfare right.

I downloaded the kindle version of Chieftains the other day out of curiousity, that ending :catstare:
(not sure if the physical editions are the same but the kindle book appears to have been lifted from an unproofed copy, the text is full of glaring errors and contradictions)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Party Plane Jones posted:

Isn't half the tooling for the F-23 other planes tooling anyways? They used a lot of parts like the F-15's front wheels and F-18's landing gear.

The YF-23 would resemble a production F-23 about as much as the YF-22 resembles the F-22A.

That is to say, not loving at all.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

inkjet_lakes posted:

I downloaded the kindle version of Chieftains the other day out of curiousity, that ending :catstare:
(not sure if the physical editions are the same but the kindle book appears to have been lifted from an unproofed copy, the text is full of glaring errors and contradictions)

I was really quite nerd-upset when I saw the characters in the book refer to the blowpipe as an AT missile, amongst other errors. Also the ending, which reads a lot like "ehhhhh...gently caress it". Like half the plot threads are simply left unsolved because, eh, gently caress it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

chitoryu12 posted:

For aerial engagement the cannon is set to fire in adjustable bursts. So he's not going to rip off a 3.5 second chain of death. He's going to get 15 rounds per trigger pull or whatever, and since the computer is aiming the gun based on radar it's probably going to put half of them on target.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Godholio posted:

For aerial engagement the cannon is set to fire in adjustable bursts. So he's not going to rip off a 3.5 second chain of death. He's going to get 15 rounds per trigger pull or whatever, and since the computer is aiming the gun based on radar it's probably going to put half of them on target.

When you say radar controlled, is there any detail you can share? Does it move in its mount like the Su-27 or is the burst restricted in any way By targeting? Just curious as I never read about that for US fighters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't think the cannon actually moves, but rather the computer controls the piper on the HUD using radar input. That wasn't well-worded in the previous post. The pilot aims, based on what the computer tells him based on what the radar tells it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Godholio posted:

I don't think the cannon actually moves, but rather the computer controls the piper on the HUD using radar input. That wasn't well-worded in the previous post. The pilot aims, based on what the computer tells him based on what the radar tells it.

Yeah that makes sense. I was curious if they went with something new this time, but the mount looked pretty static in that video.

Although it makes you wonder if they could set an automatic mode where the pilot toggles it on and the gun spins up, waiting for the radar to see a firing angle. Probably way more trouble then it's worth, but an interesting thought.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The HUD gives you a little "this is where the bullets will go" symbol. Based on how the target moves, you line yourself up so that the symbol tracks the thing you want to shoot and squeeze a burst off. Assuming no weird movements, the burst will hit.

source: dcs and falcon bms

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mazz posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I was curious if they went with something new this time, but the mount looked pretty static in that video.

Although it makes you wonder if they could set an automatic mode where the pilot toggles it on and the gun spins up, waiting for the radar to see a firing angle. Probably way more trouble then it's worth, but an interesting thought.

Make it like in GI Joe: Rise of Cobra where you shout something in Irish Gaelic to fire a set burst.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Forums Terrorist posted:

The HUD gives you a little "this is where the bullets will go" symbol. Based on how the target moves, you line yourself up so that the symbol tracks the thing you want to shoot and squeeze a burst off. Assuming no weird movements, the burst will hit.

On the JA 37 (fighter version of the Viggen) there was an aim assist mode where the autopilot would take over and aim the gun at the radar-locked target for you, but only in two axes - it'd show you on the HUD what you needed to do in the third axis, and then you only needed to pull the trigger. I don't know if it was actually a good idea or not though because as far as I know the Gripen doesn't have it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ArchangeI posted:

I was really quite nerd-upset when I saw the characters in the book refer to the blowpipe as an AT missile, amongst other errors. Also the ending, which reads a lot like "ehhhhh...gently caress it". Like half the plot threads are simply left unsolved because, eh, gently caress it.

Mind you any WWIII story that doesn't end that way is pretty unrealistic.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mazz posted:

When you say radar controlled, is there any detail you can share? Does it move in its mount like the Su-27 or is the burst restricted in any way By targeting? Just curious as I never read about that for US fighters.

Wait what? How did they manage to pull that off without completely loving up the aerodynamics?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gun sighting works with a computer predicted funnel projected onto the hud that moves and adjust in real time. Put the funnel borders to touch the enemy aircraft wing tip to wing tip and let loose a burst.

Hail Satan

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Mazz posted:

Like this thing? http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-brings-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/

quote:

To shoot at something, you first "mark" it using a button near the trigger. Marking a target illuminates it with the tracking scope's built-in laser, and the target gains a pip in the scope's display. When a target is marked, the tracking scope takes into account the range of the target, the ambient temperature and humidity, the age of the barrel, and a whole boatload of other parameters. It quickly reorients the display so the crosshairs in the center accurately show where the round will go.

Image recognition routines keep the pip stuck to the marked target in the scope's field of view, and at that point, you squeeze the trigger. This doesn't fire the weapon; rather, the reticle goes from blue to red, and while keeping the trigger held down, you position the reticle over the marked target's pip. As soon as they coincide, the rifle fires.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

tbh id be surprised if there isnt already some sort of auto fire mode where as soon as you put the nose in the correct place relative to the target you just marked, your already spun up gatling gun spits out a burst

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I assume it has a "mean rounds between failure" in double digits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Forums Terrorist posted:

I know about that for the most part, I was thinking something closer to what Fluff mentioned where the computer does more of the work/pulls the trigger on firing solution. Pretty unrealistic because it's a complex solution to a dumb problem, but an interesting thought since if refined it takes out any elements of pilot error due to adrenaline or whatever.

bitcoin bastard posted:

Wait what? How did they manage to pull that off without completely loving up the aerodynamics?

I can't find a single decent source now, but I read somewhere about a flexible mounting for the GSh-30 (I think this thread?) that allowed the gun to pivot in its mount, so the gun could acquire targets effectively in a cone shape instead of directly in line with the barrel. Doesn't seem like it was a production thing or any details if it worked now that I'm looking again. Then again though, the 30-1 is a single barrel so it's not completely crazy in theory.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 25, 2015