Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So why didn't Josh help the guys out with the gear? He might have been able to motivate them to work better if he had helped them and not sat around moping while watching them work.Also him rejecting the deal with Keith was just arrogant and pretty drat stupid, he's really drat inexperienced and should be a lot more humble about people who have been fishing for decades when they try to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Lord Tywin posted:

So why didn't Josh help the guys out with the gear? He might have been able to motivate them to work better if he had helped them and not sat around moping while watching them work.Also him rejecting the deal with Keith was just arrogant and pretty drat stupid, he's really drat inexperienced and should be a lot more humble about people who have been fishing for decades when they try to help.

Yeah you'd think with how absolutely dire things seem to be on the CM he would've at least gone out to rework the pots. Also the part where instead of saying "hey guys get back to work we're already ludicrously far behind let's go" he instantly flipped his poo poo and got his apparently best deckhand to quit.

Though he's miles ahead of Jake I feel.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Gazaar posted:

Yeah you'd think with how absolutely dire things seem to be on the CM he would've at least gone out to rework the pots. Also the part where instead of saying "hey guys get back to work we're already ludicrously far behind let's go" he instantly flipped his poo poo and got his apparently best deckhand to quit.

Though he's miles ahead of Jake I feel.

Jake knows his poo poo when it comes to how the boat works at least, when CM have mechanical problems Josh once against start moping about how unfair everything is instead going along, trying to help and learn how to deal with mechanical issues.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I think for some stuff they know exactly how it's gonna go down before they do it. They didn't really robustly test the small scale, and they only tried it once full scale based on their half-assed small scale work. Some expert told them it'll never happen in a million years, so no reason to really take a hardcore run at it.

I don't really think the lake was as deep as their scale tank either. I understand why they would test there, but the myth was about something in the ocean.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I think for some stuff they know exactly how it's gonna go down before they do it. They didn't really robustly test the small scale, and they only tried it once full scale based on their half-assed small scale work. Some expert told them it'll never happen in a million years, so no reason to really take a hardcore run at it.

Probably the most obvious example of them fudging stuff for the show is the one where they did the Last Crusade bike flip and acted like they had no idea how it was done until most of the way through the myth.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Best day ever for Adam in mythbusters.

I liked James May's version better still

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was nice of Jamie to let Adam go but it also seemed like he didn't enjoy the pressure tests and stuff so he probably wouldn't have liked it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Going on a ride in a U-2 is awesome and all, but they didn't need to do that for the "myth". And they didn't show procedures for other airplanes for comparison.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lord Tywin posted:

Jake knows his poo poo when it comes to how the boat works at least, when CM have mechanical problems Josh once against start moping about how unfair everything is instead going along, trying to help and learn how to deal with mechanical issues.

Big Joe: What are you doing?

Oddball: I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know.

Big Joe: What's happening?

Oddball: Well, the tank's broke and they're trying to fix it.

Big Joe: Well, then, why the hell aren't you up there helping them?

Oddball: I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Make Jake and Josh a comedy captain duo of a single boat.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mraagvpeine posted:

And they didn't show procedures for other airplanes for comparison.

They addressed that in the end by stating all of the things that only apply to the U-2 and not other planes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Going on a ride in a U-2 is awesome and all, but they didn't need to do that for the "myth". And they didn't show procedures for other airplanes for comparison.

It almost felt like another case of Jamie and Adam just finding a claim made by a nebulous "somebody" that sounded fun to do, so they put it in an episode to give Discovery an excuse to fund an expensive field trip.

And I totally don't blame them, it just wasn't as fun for us to watch as it was for them to do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a feeling that the process for this myth was totally derailed when they found out that the Air Force was totally okay with them going on a ride in a U2.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazing how much support staff the U2 has. Like just the staffing for the pressure chamber.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Honestly, the footage of the flight was worth it alone, and hey, I learned a bunch about the U-2 that I didn't know before.

The drone myth was weak, but that seems to be the theme this season. One decent myth, and one crappy one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ToastyPotato posted:

Honestly, the footage of the flight was worth it alone, and hey, I learned a bunch about the U-2 that I didn't know before.

I learned that we still actually use the things.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

IRQ posted:

I learned that we still actually use the things.

And will still fly them until we cram film cameras in a drone or rewrite some treaties.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sash! posted:

And will still fly them until we cram film cameras in a drone or rewrite some treaties.

What do we have all those fancy satellites for?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

IRQ posted:

What do we have all those fancy satellites for?

Its difficult to retask a satellite on the fly and the bad guys know when satellites pass over because their orbits are public knowledge. The cameras on a U-2 have a longer range (so to speak) than the ones on the Global Hawks, by a rather large distance. I don't know if this has since been amended, but a few years ago, there were still clauses in certain arms control treaties that required actual film to be handed over as part of the verification process and only the U-2 had film on board.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The U-2 even outlasted the program that was intended to replace it, the SR-71, the only jet that was perhaps more difficult to fly than the U-2.

Man, I miss the SR-71. :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

The U-2 even outlasted the program that was intended to replace it, the SR-71, the only jet that was perhaps more difficult to fly than the U-2.

Man, I miss the SR-71. :(

Those things look cool as all hell. Why'd they stop using them?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PostNouveau posted:

They are super expensive to keep in a flyable condition, are extremely difficult to fly (of 32 planes built 12 were lost, none to enemy action) and the need for a Mach 3 capable plane hasn't been great with the conflicts of the last 25 years, where the oppositions field Mig-21 and WW 2-era AA guns.

Also, it was a victim of the political bickering between Bill Clinton and Congress over funding.

There are replacements in the works - in form of super-sized drones/UAV.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 28, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

There are replacements in the works - in form of super-sized drones/UAV.

Seems like the obvious choice after watching that episode. Super cool, but a lot of the pain in the rear end involved with flying a U2 seems to be keeping the pilot alive.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PostNouveau posted:

Seems like the obvious choice after watching that episode. Super cool, but a lot of the pain in the rear end involved with flying a U2 seems to be keeping the pilot alive.

Yep, and the pilot has also become the major constraint on how hard a plane can maneuver.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Wouldn't they also be way more at risk of SAMs now?

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

muscles like this? posted:

I have a feeling that the process for this myth was totally derailed when they found out that the Air Force was totally okay with them going on a ride in a U2.

I'm sure that what happened was, the Air Force media relations team contacted Mythbusters and said "hey how would you like to go for a ride in a U-2" and they spent 45 seconds trying to come up with a myth to justify it. I'm sure the Air Force paid for the whole thing. I fastforwarded through the commercials, anyone notice if there were Air Force recruitment ads during the ep?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

PostNouveau posted:

1. The SR-71 program was really loving expensive. Between fuel, parts, and metallurgy it was not cheap. The planes were all built in the 1960s, and keeping a fleet together of just three planes would cost $100m in 1993 dollars, and Lockheed managed to do it in $72m.

2. Politics. It got caught in a tug of war between UAVs and Satellites. Without an actual long-term funding plan (it was funded year over year in the 90s) it was hard to keep the plane's logistics going.

3. If you don't need to outrun SAMs at Mach 3.5, the airplane has no purpose. The U-2 soldiered on because while different, it didn't require exotic materials, fuel, and parts like the SR-71.

A mach speed UAV would be an effective replacement but latency must be a real problem in that design. In fact, there was a little known drone offshoot of the A-12 program, the D-21. It didn't get very far because its mission was subsumed by satellites and it wasn't very good.

There are two SR-71s that are not museum pieces, and NASA has both of them. They haven't flown in 15 years, though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

A mach speed UAV would be an effective replacement but latency must be a real problem in that design.

At this point, we pretty much have to go hypersonic if we're talking Russia or China's potential air defenses. Tricky part with a hypersonic drone (aside from the part where we keep breaking them) is using what looks like an ICBM for a booster. You can probably guess why everyone would be pretty jumpy about that one. Have to figure out a workaround there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You don't need an ICBM; just a rocket launched airplane platform.

edit: what LOOKS like an ICBM, sorry. Misread you. Yeah, the rockets for hypersonic speeds would be brutal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HTV-2 was using a Minotaur. Not sure you'd want the other side to have to think "gee, a launch from inside CONUS and it deployed a hypersonic vehicle that'll be here in 20 minutes. Time to make a very fast decision without all the information!" Granted, HTV-2 was going way past Mach 5, which is pretty doable from an air launched platform. Trade off on that one is during your deployment from minutes to hours. Basically one of the reasons the airborne laser went away.

My suspicion is we'll end up seeing lots of very small, stealthy, and disposable drones for intelligence. One of those Virginias launching something that mimics a cruise missile would give you fast deployment and "right now" intelligence.

If you're not worrying about cost, the only limit is your imagination!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, I completely misread you on the hypersonic thing.

The airborne laser is another one of those projects that always sounds great but the reality is just not good. Both the 707 and 747 based lasers worked, as lasers, but the solid fuel means limited effectiveness and the prep time for sorties is so long that unless you do Strategic Air Command style 24/7 refuel patrols, you're just not nimble enough to actually use the weapon.

With drones stealth is much more manageable because you don't have pesky things like pilots to worry about, so there's a lot more flexibility in design. You don't have to fly as fast if they can't see you, either, which helps mitigate factors like thermal signatures.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
"The girl greenhorn is only working at 75%, it's time to let her go." Oh Keith, she may be at 75% but your typical horn operates at 2% you knucklehead. Keith tears are delicious.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
If there's one constant in this show, it's Keith shooting himself in the foot with greenhorns.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Hahaha, this kid blew his knee out at 14 and got sent home once before on another boat, does he not check references?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Photex posted:

Hahaha, this kid blew his knee out at 14 and got sent home once before on another boat, does he not check references?

Also how dumb is the kid to keep doing that poo poo with an artificial knee?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Sometimes I regret wasting parts of my youth with manual labor jobs, but at least I get to spot the bullshit on Deadliest Catch :allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Keith is such a moron. He finally gets one greenhorn that's sort of working out but they come to a mutual agreement to part ways, and he replaces him with a loser who blows his fake knee out an hour out of dock? Oh my god.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Photex posted:

I couldn't loving believe that poo poo. Keith is my least favorite Captain, but man I feel bad for him with his poo poo Greenhorns. Its my belief that a crabber like Jake Anderson is 1 in a million and Sig was smart to make him a full share as quickly as he did.

I love Jake so much, I just wish the dude had more confidence in himself. It's like everything he does is filled with perpetual self doubt (much like Josh). My least favorite season was the season where Jake was on the Kiska Sea because 1. he wasn't on the show very much and 2. everyone the Kiska Sea treated him like poo poo. I'm really glad Elliot is such a gently caress up and is giving Jake a chance to shine, I just hope he makes the most out of it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Mythbusters crew desperately needs to hold an intervention with Adam over his mustache. That thing's a war crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

A mach speed UAV would be an effective replacement but latency must be a real problem in that design. In fact, there was a little known drone offshoot of the A-12 program, the D-21. It didn't get very far because its mission was subsumed by satellites and it wasn't very good.

Wasn't very good is putting it lightly, every operational launch was a failure and it caused the crash of one of the planes launching it from what I remember.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 2, 2015

• Locked thread