Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

It's just short for Wario

Ah, White Aryan Resistance in Osaka :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Asinine Tails posted:

Oh, and Shamone. Yes, like the Michael Jackson sound effect.

I'm imagining it has the same inflection and everything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Would that be conjugation or declension?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Opopanax posted:

And the crotchgrab! :mario:

I think it's cute that he's running with his childhood name, but I wonder if Booboo Stewart will be changing his name once he hits his 20s, like Ricky/Rick Schroder.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Just talked to a Gardner Creamer

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I found it, goons. I found the worst name.
Lestat-Armon Alucard [Lastname]

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Male Tears posted:

I hope he decides to go by Les.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How do you carry and nurture a developing human being inside of you for 9 months, painfully give birth to this new life, hold this baby human being in your arms and love it as a mother, and then decide to call it Lestat-Armon Alucard. How do you do that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My son will be called Ivan Tusaack Joorblaad Blehhh.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Well, first you live a life devoid of any validation outside of imaginary fantasy creatures, then...

Oh gently caress it, just go to A/T and read the "Ask me about living with a girl who thinks anime creatures are real" thread.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EXAKT Science posted:

Just talked to a Gardner Creamer

There was a Herb Gardener at my last job.

Also this.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I looked at the license of a person whose legal first name is Tifphany.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

My aunt just told me about a guy she knew named Baby.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Male Tears posted:

Please tell me that the "Armon" part of that is a misspelling of "Armand."

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Male Tears posted:

Announcing the arrival of Gimli Sauramon-Sauron Jones!

When I see a dumb self-serving name like that, I can't help but assume they think of a child as more like a pet or a toy and not a human child.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

De Nomolos posted:

When I see a dumb self-serving name like that, I can't help but assume they think of a child as more like a pet or a toy and not a human child.

Well, you already wonder whether they've forgotten how to tell fiction from reality, so it's not too much of a stretch :smith:

I wonder, does anyone have kidn of a follow-up story on one of these scenarios? Where a parent names their kid after a fictional character and actually seems to regret it years down the line? I wonder if the nuttiness required to name your kid someting like that grants you enough momentum to keep your head in the sand about it for life, but surely at least some of the people who name their child something so blatantly sad wind up gaining perspective as they get older... I would think this would at least be true of people who had the kid in like late teens/early 20s and weren't old enough to realize the permanent dumbness of the idea.

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jul 22, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There was the girl born Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii who sued for emancipation so she could change her name. If memory serves the judge was not kind to her parents.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
David Bowie named his son Zowie. He goes by Duncan Jones now that he directs movies.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Plus he was tired of people asking him about his dad.

Saw on Twitter that two Orioles fans have kids named Camden and Yardley. :barf:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

flakeloaf posted:

There was the girl born Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii who sued for emancipation so she could change her name. If memory serves the judge was not kind to her parents.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/talula-does-the-hula-from-hawaii-9-gets-court-ordered-name-change-1.745238
Wow

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

And now for stupid names from history: there was a shipping merchant, banker, and stock broker in the early 19th century named Preserved Fish.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Watching Escaping Polygamy on cable tonight (DON'T JUDGE ME!) and one of the women is named Kollene. Which, I guess, is Colleen? Maybe there were too many Colleens so they had to be creative to keep track of all their wives?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dogfish posted:

My sister is named Esther. She's in her 20s. She's named after my aunt Esther, who is dead. Why yes, we are Jewish, why do you ask?

What was really weird was when I moved to the Netherlands and every other 20something was named Esther; I was so used to thinking of it as a weird name for a non-old person to have.

I was about to say, Esther is a somewhat common name for [young] people in the Low Countries.

Old people in Flanders all have French names like Yvonne, Fran¢ois or Antoinette. Baby boomers have names like Els, Hilde and Eric/k. You have a fairly good chance of guessing the generation that someone belongs to based on their first name.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Esther is a fairly common "English" name for Koreans, especially Christian Koreans. Also "Grace," but that's a little less unusual. And, yeah, the only non-Korean Esther I've ever met was Jewish.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Choco1980 posted:

David Bowie named his son Zowie. He goes by Duncan Jones now that he directs movies.

This isn't true. His legal name has always been Duncan Jones, and David Bowie's legal name is David Jones. Zowie Bowie was just a childhood nickname.

If you want a musician who actually named his kids weird things, Frank Zappa has kids named Moon Unit and Dweezil.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

There's a Stormy McPeak in today's police report.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I realized today that the two women I sit closest to at work have the last names Battle and Slaughter :black101:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

I realized today that the two women I sit closest to at work have the last names Battle and Slaughter :black101:

They should get married and double-barrel their names.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

I'm talking to a John Johnson right now. I'm tempted to ask what his middle name is

Carl Carlsen today. Why would someone do that to their kid?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Opopanax posted:

Carl from the Simpsons is Carl Carlson :shrug:
maybe they're big fans.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll assume that was it

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Grocery store where I work is really pushing the "We support local people" angle so they have some banners of the families of the businesses we buy from and where they are located so hippies can feel good about buying from us. One of the banners has a lady named Bearl.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Do you work at Fred Meyer or maybe some other Kroger chain?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sout posted:

They should get married and double-barrel their names.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

he remembered the ring

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

The Orange Mage posted:

he remembered the ring

You're the best.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

The Orange Mage posted:

he remembered the ring

A shining light in a sea of darkness

OKJEFF4
Dec 25, 2004
I got into a motorcycle fight with a ninja and won.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is War dude from Indiana? If so it's probably short for White Aryan Resistance.

No. He's from Oklahoma. He does not know why his parents picked War, either. It doesn't stand for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Opopanax posted:

Scandinavians?