Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Black costume is my favorite non traditional one. Once you go black you only go back after it turns out to be alive, and terrorizes your wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Black costume is my favorite non traditional one. Once you go black you only go back after it turns out to be alive, and terrorizes your wife.

...That made me laugh more than it should have and you should be ashamed.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

:colbert:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

zoux posted:

My personal favorite Spidey costume is.... Superior :getin:

the v2 with the gauntlets and dark lenses is rad

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Did they ever do that iron man spider suit with the extra arms, but normal Spider-Man colors? Because that would be cool, maybe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Light Gun Man posted:

Did they ever do that iron man spider suit with the extra arms, but normal Spider-Man colors? Because that would be cool, maybe.

Yeah, they did that one time.

I still can't loving believe they gave the Iron Spider 3 robo arms instead of 4.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, they did that one time.

I still can't loving believe they gave the Iron Spider 3 robo arms instead of 4.

Maybe it's a dick joke?

But yeah extra robot limbs makes decent enough sense for an "established" Spider-Man who has been friends with Stark and the FF for years, I'm surprised it's not more of a thing. But I guess he can already just hang off a wall with two toes and do weird web slinging poses as it is so maybe the utility just isn't there?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Light Gun Man posted:

e: and SpOck had four arms

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 2, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

But yeah extra robot limbs makes decent enough sense for an "established" Spider-Man who has been friends with Stark and the FF for years, I'm surprised it's not more of a thing. But I guess he can already just hang off a wall with two toes and do weird web slinging poses as it is so maybe the utility just isn't there?

Once you start thinking that way, you wonder why all the Avengers don't have Iron Man suits and it just kinda starts falling apart.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Once you start thinking that way, you wonder why all the Avengers don't have Iron Man suits and it just kinda starts falling apart.

Yeah, why doesn't Hulk get a robot suit? :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, why doesn't Hulk get a robot suit? :v:

Does he have $700 million?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Lurdiak posted:

They're not high enough level to have both tech and superhuman advantages. Spider-Man took a bunch of roleplaying disadvantages to afford his.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Male Man posted:

They're not high enough level to have both tech and superhuman advantages. Spider-Man took a bunch of roleplaying disadvantages to afford his.

Social Pariah, Abysmal Luck, Tragic Origin... what else?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Gaz-L posted:

Social Pariah, Abysmal Luck, Tragic Origin... what else?

He double-dipped on some stuff by using a time reset exploit.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I just got round to reading the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye run and is it weird that Clint/Kate's ordinary modern clothing with purple flourishes, accessorised by plasters and bandages - is kinda the coolest "costume" I've seen in a long time?

edit:
for reference - Kate looking awesome and totally avatar worthy.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 24, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

VagueRant posted:

I just got round to reading the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye run and is it weird that Clint/Kate's ordinary modern clothing with purple flourishes, accessorised by plasters and bandages - is kinda the coolest "costume" I've seen in a long time?

edit:
for reference - Kate looking awesome and totally avatar worthy.

I liked the Superboy costume when it was just him wearing a Superman T-shirt.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Heroes whose casual clothing shares colours with uniform are the real deal.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Heroes whose casual clothing shares colours with uniform are the real deal.

:agreed:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I don't remember the Plaid/Denim Ranger?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

To this day, looking like I'm an out of uniform power ranger is my biggest problem with wearing a blue shirt with jeans

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

VagueRant posted:

One of the reasons it works so well is because the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye story is a low key, domestic personal stakes story about Hawkeye's personal life is constantly being intruded upon by his vigilantism, and how he doesn't really draw a distinct line between his Hawkeye identity and his Clint Barton life the way some superheroes do. It's full of moments where he starts the day with the intention of doing something normal and ends up in a car chase shooting arrows at people or whatever.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ben Reilly's Spidey costume was the best redesign.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't think casual clothes work for every hero or every art style, but the Hawkeyes via Aja are the gold standard.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

I don't think casual clothes work for every hero or every art style, but the Hawkeyes via Aja are the gold standard.

It helps that his original costume isn't that great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

It helps that his original costume isn't that great.

Better than pretty much every other costume he's had.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Did Clint ever use a giant bow as Goliath? And why hasn't Ant Man ever used a gun that shoots Bullet Ants?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Die Laughing posted:

Did Clint ever use a giant bow as Goliath? And why hasn't Ant Man ever used a gun that shoots Bullet Ants?

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous that Clint has enough talent to be teammates with the heaviest hitters on Earth and he just stops using it because he got big. He could be launching tree trunks with world class accuracy.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous that Clint has enough talent to be teammates with the heaviest hitters on Earth and he just stops using it because he got big. He could be launching tree trunks with world class accuracy.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I found an absolute treasure-trove of redesigns for the official handbook of the marvel universe: http://ohotmuredux.blogspot.com/

It features a lot of obscure and oddball characters and the artists really do have some fun with the idea:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

IndustrialApe posted:

I found an absolute treasure-trove of redesigns for the official handbook of the marvel universe: http://ohotmuredux.blogspot.com/

It features a lot of obscure and oddball characters and the artists really do have some fun with the idea:

I laughed at first, but that's actually pretty good. The buckle is funny, and riding the tornado like a bull -- that's from a Pecos Bill story. I would argue in favor of a droopy mustache, but that's a small criticism.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's a Marvel character called Torgo?!?!?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Davros1 posted:

There's a Marvel character called Torgo?!?!?

No, that'd be silly. There are two Marvel characters named Torgo.

(Could the Torgo the Robot panel be any more Kirby?)

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Selachian posted:

(Could the Torgo the Robot panel be any more Kirby?)
Yes.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
needs more large fin/spike/antler things sticking out of their heads.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

After Kirby's Odin, Viking style Odin just doesn't seem grand enough for the All Father.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

After Kirby's Odin, Viking style Odin just doesn't seem grand enough for the All Father.

I like Peter Madsen's version though:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's a good Gandalf.

drat...did Kirby ever draw the Lord of the Rings characters?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Die Laughing posted:

That's a good Gandalf.

drat...did Kirby ever draw the Lord of the Rings characters?

..gandalf was based on odin

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Been meaning to post this for a while; back in 2011 Tim Gunn did some videos on Youtube were he critiqued various superhero costumes, mainly those characters that have changed their look over the years. I know the videos are old but I thought people in this thread might be interested and might not have seen them.

Mr. Miracle, Black Canary, Catwoman, Batwoman, Star Sapphire, Power Girl, Spider-Man

Superman, Superboy, Robin, Nightwing, The Hulk

Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner (worth watching just for Gunn's reaction to Guy's costume).

John Stewart, Kyle Rayner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

IndustrialApe posted:

I love this idea but most of the redesigns are almost the same thing drawn in a trendier style :(

The Alan Brown ones are really cryptic and cool though

• Locked thread