Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

1stGear posted:

The games are mostly still images with some basic animation and deliberately crude graphics. They're pretty simple to pump out.

Especially now that he already has base models and textures to work with. It's like how Ubisoft is never not working on or releasing a loving Assassin's Creed game all the time. Only this guy gets his games out even quicker because they're a lot simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wait, I thought the third one was the Official Last FNAF? Like, it tied up the mystery and everything

E. And wasn't even that good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I know these are just cashins on the popularity but I have a hard time getting mad at scott, especially since his entire reasoning for creating the series to begin with was "You think my models are scary? Oh just you loving wait"

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Honestly, the constant sequels are tiring but at least Scott has the decency to take it in a different direction each time. FNAF 2 was basically just a "bigger' version of the first, but three and four at least seem to be putting their own spins on things.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah it looks like it might still be pretty creepy, if a bit nonsensical, but I will admit that I responded to the release with "...really? We're doing this again? Okay then..."

E. Jesus, people have already pounded through it and put up LP's on YouTube.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2015

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
LPs in youtube is seriously business. Gonna be the first if you wanna get the views.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wait, I thought the third one was the Official Last FNAF? Like, it tied up the mystery and everything

My guess is he is having fun and enjoys making all the money.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Mindblast posted:

My guess is he is having fun and enjoys making all the money.

Additionally he's known to donate sizable amounts of money during YouTube/Twitch charity streams for things like children's hospitals, clean water, etc - like in the thousands and tens of thousands at a time, including a collective quarter-million to St. Jude's. I'm sure he's making more than just "enough to keep the lights on" nowadays but he's definitely sharing the wealth. I think you could say that for his fame as well since several YouTube personalities have flourished thanks to FNaF whereas Cawthon is content to be the man behind the curtain. I can empathize with the feeling the fanbase and/or LPers are obnoxious or the gameplay is simplistic, but at the end of the day FNaF has done a lot of good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tired Moritz posted:

LPs in youtube is seriously business. Gonna be the first if you wanna get the views.

Or release smite like lore videos questioning about what new canon this brings about in several hundred top ten farts vids. If there will be one thing that will feed this fandom for probably 10 years worth of games is that there continues to be no real story about Freddy and people instinctively buy the game to try to fill in the lines.

EDIT: Also gently caress being first now, Markiplier is always going to steal the spotlight whenever his videos are released and he'll take the top listing whenever his content comes out because he was first to scream at a facecam when the franchise began. This gold rush to try and out-compete the established names is never going to get old.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Additionally he's known to donate sizable amounts of money during YouTube/Twitch charity streams for things like children's hospitals, clean water, etc - like in the thousands and tens of thousands at a time, including a collective quarter-million to St. Jude's. I'm sure he's making more than just "enough to keep the lights on" nowadays but he's definitely sharing the wealth. I think you could say that for his fame as well since several YouTube personalities have flourished thanks to FNaF whereas Cawthon is content to be the man behind the curtain. I can empathize with the feeling the fanbase and/or LPers are obnoxious or the gameplay is simplistic, but at the end of the day FNaF has done a lot of good.

I'll never hate scott, but I'll always laugh at the fandom that gives him all of his charity money.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 24, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

FNAF4 at one point had the subtitle Final Nightmare.

Like any good horror franchise it's not over until people stop buying tickets.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Crabtree posted:

EDIT: Also gently caress being first now, Markiplier is always going to steal the spotlight whenever his videos are released and he'll take the top listing whenever his content comes out because he was first to scream at a facecam when the franchise began. This gold rush to try and out-compete the established names is never going to get old.
I tried to watch his videos for Spooky's House of Jumpscares, and his inability to shut the gently caress up and let the game just breathe completely ruined the experience for me. Jumpscares generally work because tension builds and then the jumpscare is the "release" - the tension never builds if you're constantly talking and trying to be "quippy" with your verbal diarrhea.

It's aggravating because I generally find Markiplier's voice not-annoying, so if he did LPs of non horror games it could potentially be good/entertaining. But goddamn were his Spooky videos terrible.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Markiplier's youtube character is super grating. Seems like a decent guy irl though.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Markplier is best (i.e. not awful) when he's doing those terrible unity horror games, he can have some pretty good insights at time.

But HarshlyCritical still has better constructive insights regardless.

Has there been any of those stupid FNAF4 STORY CRACKED - 5th KID IS PURPLE MAN?! videos made yet?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Has there been any of those stupid FNAF4 STORY CRACKED - 5th KID IS PURPLE MAN?! videos made yet?

I am sure TV tropes is going to explode again but the ending was pretty explicit in its resolution of one of the few remaining questions of the series: you are the victim of the bite of 87, which happened not because of malicious robots but because your shithead brother shoved you in Freddie's mouth

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am sure TV tropes is going to explode again but the ending was pretty explicit in its resolution of one of the few remaining questions of the series: you are the victim of the bite of 87, which happened not because of malicious robots but because your shithead brother shoved you in Freddie's mouth

Yep, Game Theory and the like are already seemingly steamed that no matter how they keep reworking their little canon, more games keep getting made that ruin the intricacy of their lore that move this from some allegory of The Aurora Chuck E. Cheese shooting of 93 to the story of vengeful dead kids trying to protect children and stop purple whoever to just scary poo poo keeps happening. But this is what it ends with. Several teenagers shoving a small child into a robot's mouth for shits and giggles until it closes down on his little brother's skull.

Xenomrph posted:

I tried to watch his videos for Spooky's House of Jumpscares, and his inability to shut the gently caress up and let the game just breathe completely ruined the experience for me. Jumpscares generally work because tension builds and then the jumpscare is the "release" - the tension never builds if you're constantly talking and trying to be "quippy" with your verbal diarrhea.

It's aggravating because I generally find Markiplier's voice not-annoying, so if he did LPs of non horror games it could potentially be good/entertaining. But goddamn were his Spooky videos terrible.

Isn't inane gibberish between screams the entire entertainment value of all scare cams?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 24, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Crabtree posted:

Yep, Game Theory and the like are already seemingly steamed that no matter how they keep reworking their little canon, more games keep getting made that ruin the intricacy of their lore that move this from some allegory of The Aurora Chuck E. Cheese shooting of 93 to the story of vengeful dead kids trying to protect children and stop purple whoever to just scary poo poo keeps happening. But this is what it ends with. Several teenagers shoving a small child into a robot's mouth for shits and giggles until it closes down on his little brother's skull.

Isn't inane gibberish between screams the entire entertainment value of all scare cams?
Perhaps, but I was just trying to get a feel for the game itself since I'd never heard of it. Maybe it's my fault for looking to Markiplier to deliver that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

Perhaps, but I was just trying to get a feel for the game itself since I'd never heard of it. Maybe it's my fault for looking to Markiplier to deliver that.

Well you're not alone or wrong for not enjoying them, I just thought this was the formula for all of these videos now. Markiplier and PewDiePie got a lot of views for showing their stupid faces so now everyone needs to show their marshmallow head making every stupid word and covering their eyes as they bleat out how scared they are. That there are some people who aren't as annoying as others, or if it wasn't Freddy they wouldn't be as obnoxious. But its FNAF, everyone seemingly expects scare cam 101 and these as the basics of YouTube Revenue.

There are ambient no commentary playthroughs that will come up, but its scarecam season at the moment.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 24, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just watch Harshly Critical.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Don't watch game play videos on YouTube unless you are my girlfriend's 7 year old son.

Cotent: Playing through Silent Hill 1 right now, man what a good game.. Making me nostalgic for survival horror.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Just watch Harshly Critical.

He's seriously the only video LPer I actually enjoy watching. Honestly I want to like Markiplier because ~dat voice~ but his YouTube persona is insufferable.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Cotent: Playing through Silent Hill 1 right now, man what a good game.. Making me nostalgic for survival horror.

It's taken me a long time to realize that I don't really like the Silent Hill series, I just like the first Silent Hill. I mean, 2 and 3 are good but there's something magical about how utterly bizarre and unsettling 1 is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The first Silent Hill's bad/awkward voice acting and sound design in general is a perfect storm. Also it's a more subtle difference, but Silent Hill 1's story is a little less personal, with more direct notes and stuff about the other world rather than the game being about someone dealing just with personal demons. Even though you play as one guy looking for his daughter the stakes feel a little higher. Also the way the game opens up is still one of the best first half hours or so of any horror game, it's really gripping and engaging. Also like Baroque on PS1/Saturn, they use the hardware limitations to great effect by embracing the jaggedness of the world.

Silent Hill 3 is a gorgeous game visually but even with Silent Hill 3 the games were becoming "a Silent Hill sequel." I love every game in the series except for Homecoming, and even Downpour has some cool ideas/presentation, but most of them don't strive to find their own identity like Silent Hill 1 and 2 do. That they both do so while liberally aping Twin Peaks, Jacob's Ladder, Lost Highway, etc. is remarkable when many lesser games will just rip off what's on the surface of the dev's favorite movies without putting much more thought into it than that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

The first Silent Hill's bad/awkward voice acting and sound design in general is a perfect storm. Also it's a more subtle difference, but Silent Hill 1's story is a little less personal, with more direct notes and stuff about the other world rather than the game being about someone dealing just with personal demons. Even though you play as one guy looking for his daughter the stakes feel a little higher. Also the way the game opens up is still one of the best first half hours or so of any horror game, it's really gripping and engaging. Also like Baroque on PS1/Saturn, they use the hardware limitations to great effect by embracing the jaggedness of the world.

Silent Hill 3 is a gorgeous game visually but even with Silent Hill 3 the games were becoming "a Silent Hill sequel." I love every game in the series except for Homecoming, and even Downpour has some cool ideas/presentation, but most of them don't strive to find their own identity like Silent Hill 1 and 2 do. That they both do so while liberally aping Twin Peaks, Jacob's Ladder, Lost Highway, etc. is remarkable when many lesser games will just rip off what's on the surface of the dev's favorite movies without putting much more thought into it than that.
I'd say Shattered Memories did have its own identity, it was publisher mandated to have to be a tie-in to the original but even then they did a good job playing off a lot of the themes of the original game and making it its own thing.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 24, 2015

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

I'd say Shattered Memories did have its own identity, it was publisher mandated to have to be a tie-in to the original but even then they did a good job playing off a lot of the themes of the original games and making it its own thing.

I absolutely adore Shattered Memories and would love another, with or without Silent Hill in the name or a spiritual successor or something. Really bummed when some devs posted here saying they were somewhat disappointed with it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Szmitten posted:

I absolutely adore Shattered Memories and would love another, with or without Silent Hill in the name or a spiritual successor or something. Really bummed when some devs posted here saying they were somewhat disappointed with it.
Have you played Her Story yet? The head writer for SM made it and its great.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zombie Samurai posted:

He's seriously the only video LPer I actually enjoy watching. Honestly I want to like Markiplier because ~dat voice~ but his YouTube persona is insufferable.

It's taken me a long time to realize that I don't really like the Silent Hill series, I just like the first Silent Hill. I mean, 2 and 3 are good but there's something magical about how utterly bizarre and unsettling 1 is.

HarshlyCritical is kind of amazing. He's filled the niche of "playing the new big horror games everyone is already playing, but acting like a goddamn normal person instead of a shrieking banshee attempting to amuse twelve year olds".

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

HarshlyCritical is kind of amazing. He's filled the niche of "playing the new big horror games everyone is already playing, but acting like a goddamn normal person instead of a shrieking banshee attempting to amuse twelve year olds".

I like him for that, he's really awkward though sometimes with his humor. Watching him play these games though gives a genuine response and I love it when he calls out bs.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thanks, this sums up my feelings on the series pretty well honestly. I've played all the Silent Hill games, but find my thoughts going back to 1 the most.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Thanks, this sums up my feelings on the series pretty well honestly. I've played all the Silent Hill games, but find my thoughts going back to 1 the most.

I wish SH1 could get a graphical upgrade. maybe some pro VA's while we're at it, but it's a shame that the first game in the series is just so, so dated.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I wish SH1 could get a graphical upgrade. maybe some pro VA's while we're at it, but it's a shame that the first game in the series is just so, so dated.

You know, maybe it's just because I'm playing it for the first time in awhile or maybe it's just nostalgia, but I honestly think it held up fine. Voice acting IS hilarious though.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Have you played Her Story yet? The head writer for SM made it and its great.

I like the idea of it and it seems like something I would do myself but it's too open (unfocused?) and I know too much in advance.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He turns into an insufferable prick when anyone criticizes him though, which puts me off. Markiplier, etc, have an annoying gimmick but they're pretty relaxed and open with what they do. HC feels a bit too try hard and arrogant for my tastes.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

He turns into an insufferable prick when anyone criticizes him though, which puts me off.

Do you read youtube comments or something

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

He turns into an insufferable prick when anyone criticizes him though, which puts me off. Markiplier, etc, have an annoying gimmick but they're pretty relaxed and open with what they do. HC feels a bit too try hard and arrogant for my tastes.

When does he do this anyway, I never see any of this but I also don't read youtube comments cause nothing good comes out of those

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Accordion Man posted:

I'd say Shattered Memories did have its own identity, it was publisher mandated to have to be a tie-in to the original but even then they did a good job playing off a lot of the themes of the original game and making it its own thing.

Shattered Memories is incredible, I was shocked at the middling to negative reception it received from some folks when it first came out. I really appreciated how it goes its own way with the ice motif and the slowly changing looks of one enemy type instead of going for cheap shocks like Homecoming did.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 24, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's the youtube comments. :v:

I know they're easy to ignore but someone trying to make a "personality" of themselves and getting unbelievably angry at anyone that doesn't like it just makes me roll my eyes. Markiplier's a complete dork, but he's one that doesn't burst into angry tears whenever he gets a downvote.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've just never seen him get angry in the comments, only smart with people who try pointing stuff out to him that he talked about in the vids or whatever

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neo Rasa posted:

Shattered Memories is incredible, I was shocked at the middling to negative reception it received from some folks when it first came out. I really appreciated how it goes its own way with the ice motif and the slowly changing looks of one enemy type instead of going for cheap shocks like Homecoming did.

Everything about Shattered Memories is really cool, except for the gameplay itself. When you realize that the entire game is either a) wandering around safely, checking things out, or b) running blindly with nothing to look at and no respite, things get pretty dull.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

poptart_fairy posted:

It's the youtube comments. :v:

I know they're easy to ignore but someone trying to make a "personality" of themselves and getting unbelievably angry at anyone that doesn't like it just makes me roll my eyes. Markiplier's a complete dork, but he's one that doesn't burst into angry tears whenever he gets a downvote.

The reason to watch HC is for his authenticity, he's not particularly smart or funny or any sort of "performer", he's just a regular guy playing games so you don't have to, and doing it without mugging at the camera or trying to be a *superstar*. If anything, the fact that he gets kind of insecure about his viewership reinforces that notion to me.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

You know, maybe it's just because I'm playing it for the first time in awhile or maybe it's just nostalgia, but I honestly think it held up fine. Voice acting IS hilarious though.

I played it for the first time in June after replaying 2 and I loved it. I've always thought that all the simple, awkward models and washed out textures of the late 90s complemented horror games pretty well and Silent Hill definitely fits into this. In addition, while I never really felt threatened in 2 (supplies were plentiful, enemies were slow and easy to stunlock, and controls were decent if simple), the clunky controls and more aggressive enemies made for a much more tense experience. Navigating through the otherworld streets really felt like I was running for my life because the enemies weren't slowly lurching in my general direction but were chasing after my rear end and I knew that fighting them was not going to do any favors for my dwindling stock of medicine and ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Everything about Shattered Memories is really cool, except for the gameplay itself. When you realize that the entire game is either a) wandering around safely, checking things out, or b) running blindly with nothing to look at and no respite, things get pretty dull.

Nah. The adventure game exploration sections are atmospheric and you wouldn't explore as much if you were in actual danger the whole time. By isolating the risk into the nightmare sections make them more tense and the ice more forboding.