Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

He designed it with the idea that it would be something Heero would pilot.

Self destruct function confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TARDISman posted:

That was already confirmed in the show when Fellini fought Aila with the regular Fenice.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

chumbler posted:

I will not hear anyone besmirching the scene in which Duo talks to 4 other Duos.

Where is this? I must watch it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Warmachine posted:

This is really what makes the whole thing make no sense. Andrew and Aisha were more interesting than Nicol ever was.

I know it's too late, but you'd have been much better off watching the original, not-George-Lucas'd version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcrPPLT5hvQ

edit facts: I own the original box set, so I never watched the HD version. I had to watch the HD version of the clip for the first time to make sure I had the right grab. :v:

I always heard SEED was basically a retelling of 0079, but man, that is just one scene of newtype talking to the dead person from being the Lala schtick all over again.

Zedd posted:

Subs can't capture the perfection that is General Septum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Sometimes i forget how ridiculous Wing really was. Then i watch that scene where they drop him out of the airplane and shoot him in the head. Just because.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TARDISman posted:

The Fenice literally has just that, as mentioned. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh right, completely forgot about that bit...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

Name: Build Gundam Mk-II - Build Fighter Sei Iori Custom Made Mobile Suit

Created to be used in case the Build Strike needed repairs, this is the Sei-Reiji team's second machine. It was first used after the Build Strike was damaged in a battle with Tatsuya Yuuki.

While the Build Strike was designed to triumph in Gunpla Battle, this machine's design concept is a little different: it was created in order to "bring an original design to the Gundam world". This doesn't mean that it's unsuited for Gunpla Battle, however. Sei put all of his skill into its construction so that Reiji would have a strong compatibility with it. As such, it has a high performance in Gunpla Battle.

Just as you'd expect from a Gundam anime fan like Sei, when he was building this Gunpla he put a lot of thought into making an original setting for it. This machine is the "Imaginary Gundam Mk-II Unit 5", a test unit created by the Titans that's existence was unknown until now. All of its sensors have been strengthened, and the frame makes use of brand new materials and cutting edge technology. But its biggest feature is its personal Booster it can separate from or combine with. To achieve this, the Titans referenced and improved upon the Gaplant, a transformable mobile suit. You could think of this as the Titans' version of the G-Defenser, though upon combination this unit actually exceeded the Super Gundam's performance.

In combat, thanks to its enhanced sensors this unit excels at long-ranged combat. Furthermore, the Booster's cockpit block can separate and act independently, widening the possible tactical uses of the machine. While this is just Sei's fictional setting, it's just as true in real Gunpla Battle. If the enemy is attacking from a distance, the Booster can separate and be controlled remotely.

Additionally, the knowledge Sei gained from building this machine was used in his next creation, the Star Build Strike. Specifically, the base Gundam Mk-II possesses an inner frame similar to a human skeleton called a Movable Frame. This structure was ported to the Build Strike, and played a part in the development of Sei's unique RG System. When the Star Build Strike activates the RG System, a skeleton structure can momentarily be seen inside it. As you might have pieced together, that inner frame is identical to the Movable Frame inside this machine. While the Build Mk-II does not possess a RG System, it would probably be relatively easy to install one. Unfortunately, other things needed to be built during the preparations for the World Tournament so this addition never happened.

quote:

Name: Build Booster Mk-II - Build Gundam Mk-II Support Unit

The original Gundam Mk-II had a support unit called the G-Defenser it could combine with to form the Super Gundam. Working on the principle that "the Gundam Mk-II could combine with a support unit to rapidly improve its abilities", Sei created an original support unit with a completely different shape from the G-Defenser. This machine is based off of the Gaplant, a transforming mobile suit from the same TV anime as the Gundam Mk-II, "Mobile Suit Z Gundam".

The Gaplant was equipped with movable parts called Movable Shield Binders. These could simultaneously act as shields and attack with their built-in beam cannons. As they could freely move around, they had a wide range of attack. Sei came up with the idea of linking this range of motion to the arms. This gives this machine a much broader range of attack than what the Build Strike could do with its Large Beam Cannon.

The cockpit block can detach from the Build Gundam Mk-II and transform into an independent unit. This is an important system to have in Gunpla Battle, as the rules state that if the main machine is destroyed the surviving Booster can delay the end of the match and continue the fight.

Even if the machine is reduced to only its Booster, it still possesses sufficient fighting strength thanks to its powerful beam cannons. Sei's repeated use of this separation system clearly displays his attitude of striving for victory until the very end.

quote:

Beam Rifle Mk-II (Direct Connection to Generator type)
The Beam Rifle Mk-II can connect to the Movable Shields on the sides of the Booster. Doing so directly links them to a much larger power source, which greatly increases their power. Normally, having such a high output would require a weapon to be linked to a large generator, restricting its movement. But thanks to this machine's Movable Shields, the Beam Rifle Mk-II maintains a free range of movement, granting it a frighteningly wide range of attack.
This is the Build Gundam Mk-II's main weapon, as it makes the best use of its main feature.

Beam Rifle Mk-II
A rifle that can fire shots of energy. It's standard equipment for most Gundams. They usually have a high rate of energy consumption, limiting how much they can be used.
This beam rifle has a very powerful sensor, making it a weapon more suited for long-ranged attacks. It's usually connected to the Movable Shields and is rarely used by itself.

Beam Saber
Two cylindrical weapons that stick out from the top of the backpack. They're identical to the Gundam Mk-II's beam sabers. While not very large, they can form energy blades and be used as handheld swords. They receive a large amount of power from the Booster, so they're very strong.
This machine may be specialized for long-ranged combat, but as Reiji is a fan of close ranged combat they're the one weapon he can not do without.

Movable Shield
The Movable Shield, as the name implies, can freely move around. It's capable of a much wider range of defense than standard hand-held shields.
As a shield, it naturally can be used to block enemy attacks, but thanks to the Beam Rifle Mk-IIs installed inside excess defending should be avoided.

Build Gundam Mk-II's Other Armaments
The Bazooka, Shield, Beam Sabers, Beam Rifle, and the Vulcan Pod that can be installed on the head are just some of the equipment that this machine can use.
The Vulcans can be used to shoot down missiles or destroy enemy sensors. It's a weapon that's not very strong, but has a wide range of uses.

Poor Build Mk-II. Could have been a contender with the RG system but there just wasn't enough time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I always heard SEED was basically a retelling of 0079, but man, that is just one scene of newtype talking to the dead person from being the Lala schtick all over again.

SEED isn't really a retelling of 0079 past the early parts. The Newtype scene is totally a knockoff of Lalah but to be fair that scene has been in half the anime in existence at this point.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
But it is a retelling of 0079, I'm about to find out if Destiny follows suit with Zeta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

But it is a retelling of 0079, I'm about to find out if Destiny follows suit with Zeta.

It retells up to the Desert arc but after that there isn't really any direct comparison. The Federation become the villains, the protagonists defect to NotJapan, the closest comparison to Solomon occurs effectively offscreen, there's no real Lalah arc, Rau doesn't remotely follow Char's plotline.

Like at some point it becomes "it's a retelling of Gundam if Kai and Hayato didn't exist, Sleggar was there for the entire series, Sayla was Amuro's sister and also princess of Japan, Garma Zabi was an ace pilot who defected because he was secretly Amuro's best friend, Degwin Zabi and Gihren Zabi fused into a single person being manipulated by Char who was an insane nihilist who wanted to destroy the world, also Amuro was apparently banging Fraw Bow who was also secretly a giant racist and got murdered by Char and..."

Well, you get the point. Beyond the broad Gundam archetypes it isn't really comparable.

Honestly the biggest point of comparison is the Desert Arc which is gigantically blatantly Ramba Ral.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 25, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ka0 posted:

The word you're looking for is reimagining. Both SEED and Destiny start off with similar plot beats to 0079 and Zeta then turn into their own thing, for better or for worse. it's mostly for worse

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, Waltfeld is pretty much Ramba Ral if he brewed his own coffee and drove a Zoid.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

ImpAtom posted:

The Federation become the villains

You don't think ZAFT was being a dick with the gryps-like genesis beam?

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 25, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

You don't think ZAFT was being a dick with the gryps-like genesis beam?

The Federation by the end point of SEED was populated literally entirely by absurd genocidal racists who tossed nukes around like candy with the possible exception of Natarle who got shot for disobeying a direct order of "be batshit insane."

The ZAFT side had multiple defections to the 'good guy' faction and was eventually resolved offscreen by the main evil ZAFT guy being teamkilled because he was so insane and a former ZAFT soldier blowing up their death laser.

Both sides were assholes but the Federation had literally zero sympathetic characters after the Archangel defected.

Like even GENESIS would have only sort of a dick move if Zala didn't plan to turn it on Earth. it was a superweapon but it was one used on a group who were literally planning to nuke civilian targets because they're so absurdly evil. Superweapons are dick moves but that would have been 'using the Solar Ray on Solomon" dick move if the next target wasn't Earth. It was that last bit that put it over the top into "totally batshit insane" and also got Zala shot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 25, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, Waltfeld is pretty much Ramba Ral if he brewed his own coffee and drove a Zoid.
As well as cheat death because of bullshit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I loved how cartoonishly evil Azrael was. It was amazing. SEED had some great villains.

Djibriil was cartoonishly evil too but not even a quarter as entertaining. He was kind of just pathetic.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
SEED had some pretty premo voice talent.

I'm sad they didn't allow Koyasu to go too hammy, I guess Mwu was just too subdued of a character. Thankfully Gym Ghringham exists to take advantage of his unique talents.

Azrael was perfectly cast though.

TNG fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 25, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We all know who the real star of the dub cast is - Rau Le Creuset. Mark Oliver just nailed that calm villainous tone :allears:

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
I think my favorite part of the SEED Desert Arc is that the milita leader is voiced by Masahi Hirose, i.e. actually Ramba Ral.

For as much as everyone here loves the English VA for Rau, I just really like Toshihiko Seki doing his thing a whole lot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I loved how cartoonishly evil Azrael was. It was amazing. SEED had some great villains.

Djibriil was cartoonishly evil too but not even a quarter as entertaining. He was kind of just pathetic.

To say he wasn't entertaining is an understatement. I mean when you're introduced to Azrael you see him at a shadowy conference muttering about nukes, which evolves into him controlling the Feddies and screaming his head off. When you're introduced to Djibril, he's sitting in a basement staring at a bunch of TV screens stroking his white cat and drinking from a glass of wine. The dude isn't even remotely subtle which just makes you think "loving hell this guy's a prick."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We all know who the real star of the dub cast is - Rau Le Creuset. Mark Oliver just nailed that calm villainous tone :allears:

Too true too true, although Matt "KICK ME IN THE BALLS I NEED TO CRY PROPERLY" Hill is a close second.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The Federation by the end point of SEED was populated literally entirely by absurd genocidal racists who tossed nukes around like candy with the possible exception of Natarle who got shot for disobeying a direct order of "be batshit insane."

The ZAFT side had multiple defections to the 'good guy' faction and was eventually resolved offscreen by the main evil ZAFT guy being teamkilled because he was so insane and a former ZAFT soldier blowing up their death laser.

Both sides were assholes but the Federation had literally zero sympathetic characters after the Archangel defected.

Like even GENESIS would have only sort of a dick move if Zala didn't plan to turn it on Earth. it was a superweapon but it was one used on a group who were literally planning to nuke civilian targets because they're so absurdly evil. Superweapons are dick moves but that would have been 'using the Solar Ray on Solomon" dick move if the next target wasn't Earth. It was that last bit that put it over the top into "totally batshit insane" and also got Zala shot.

I thought it was lame how everyone remotely good went over to GLORIOUS NIPPON near the end of SEED. It defeats the entire point of one of Gundam's themes (there are both good and bad dudes on both sides of the conflict) if everyone in the Federation and ZAFT are evil assholes.

It did give us Azrael and his amazing hamminess, so it's not all bad. To this day, one of few the images of SEED still in my mind is him laughing like crazy in front of a monitor.

quote:

Ennil El is the way better Ral clone. The only thing Andy has over her is his Disco Gun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

The random soldier who shot Zala was the hero we needed. :patriot:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

closeted republican posted:

I thought it was lame how everyone remotely good went over to GLORIOUS NIPPON near the end of SEED. It defeats the entire point of one of Gundam's themes (there are both good and bad dudes on both sides of the conflict) if everyone in the Federation and ZAFT are evil assholes.

Eh. SEED handled it poorly but to be honest most Gundam shows run into that problem where the 'good' members of the theoretically villain faction either defect or die off leaving nothing but the Yazans. The AEUG is basically a giant walking protagonist bloc, just a better executed one than the Three-Ships. By ZZ Gundam you've got pretty clearly defined Good Guy/Bad Guy sides, just with a healthy dose of gently caress Adults throw into it. Even as far as 00 Gundam you basically had The Evil Innovades and Ali vs the unified good-guy forces.

Oddly enough the series that has been best about it lately is G-Reco where you ended up with the Core Protagonist Megafauna squad which ended up full of defectors but major characters like Klim Nick or whatnot remained on their own sides and had their own shifting loyalties. Turn-A also was okay about it although Gym kind of muddies the water there.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. SEED handled it poorly but to be honest most Gundam shows run into that problem where the 'good' members of the theoretically villain faction either defect or die off leaving nothing but the Yazans. The AEUG is basically a giant walking protagonist bloc, just a better executed one than the Three-Ships. By ZZ Gundam you've got pretty clearly defined Good Guy/Bad Guy sides, just with a healthy dose of gently caress Adults throw into it. Even as far as 00 Gundam you basically had The Evil Innovades and Ali vs the unified good-guy forces.

Oddly enough the series that has been best about it lately is G-Reco where you ended up with the Core Protagonist Megafauna squad which ended up full of defectors but major characters like Klim Nick or whatnot remained on their own sides and had their own shifting loyalties. Turn-A also was okay about it although Gym kind of muddies the water there.

Eh, I should've clarified; it works that way utnil the end of the series, where one side has most of the decent dudes and the other side is Baby Eaters-R-Us. Earlier bits of the series will have dudes on the other side that aren't complete monsters, like Ral, the Asshimar dude at Dakkar, and Mr. Sleeveless Shirt Guy X. By the end though? Everyone that isn't pure evil has joined Team Gundam.

There are some shows that subvert this by having zero decent people on the enemy side, like ZZ. :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are you talking 00 Season 1 or 2? Because 00 S1 was definitely not just Good vs. Bad. I mean, calling S1 Celestial Being "good" is a huge stretch in and of itself. Then besides Alejandro and Not SEELE a lot of the people in the three big power blocs (I forget what they were called) were decent enough, like Sergei and Soma and Graham.

I seem to recall Not SEELE had a name and stuff... Weren't they Innovators vs. Ribbon's Innovades? It was all amazingly poorly explained.

Also Wing did the "Good Guys Side vs. The Other Two" thing before SEED did. I just always found that kind of interesting. Then again, I guess Zeta kinda did that too with AEUG vs. Axis vs. Titans.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you talking 00 Season 1 or 2? Because 00 S1 was definitely not just Good vs. Bad. I mean, calling S1 Celestial Being "good" is a huge stretch in and of itself. Then besides Alejandro and Not SEELE a lot of the people in the three big power blocs (I forget what they were called) were decent enough, like Sergei and Soma and Graham.

I seem to recall Not SEELE had a name and stuff... Weren't they Innovators vs. Ribbon's Innovades? It was all amazingly poorly explained.

Also Wing did the "Good Guys Side vs. The Other Two" thing before SEED did. I just always found that kind of interesting. Then again, I guess Zeta kinda did that too with AEUG vs. Axis vs. Titans.

I like three-ways, but SEED did theirs horribly. GLORIOUS NIPPON appears out of nowhere and everyone not pure evil joins them. Zeta's three-way was nice because it made the stakes shoot up way higher than they were previously.

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

The observers faction was populated entirely by dicks in the show considering the fact that the only two members we see are Wang Liu Min and Alejandro. The observers for all intents and purposes seem to have been the financial/earthbound logistics for celestial being. They handled a bunch of things like getting the suits back up into space for example.

Ribbon's innovades were pretty simple really. Ribbons hijacked Alejandro's organization at the end of the first season and activated a whole schwack of the innovade/artificial humans once he had control of Veda (and thus ostensibly control of them). The funny thing about Ribbons is that from what you see in the show he fully intended to go through with the broad strokes of the original plan, he just figured that since he was the evolved humanity that he should be in charge of the whole thing.

Now why Scheimberg thought it was a good idea to let the innovades thing they were innovators is anyone's guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

Now why Scheimberg thought it was a good idea to let the innovades thing they were innovators is anyone's guess.

I think that was their own delusion, wasn't it? Or it might've been to draw out the true Innovators from whoever kicks their poo poo in.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Sometimes i forget how ridiculous Wing really was. Then i watch that scene where they drop him out of the airplane and shoot him in the head. Just because.

Well, you asked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EHpRuqHio

closeted republican posted:

It did give us Azrael and his amazing hamminess, so it's not all bad. To this day, one of few the images of SEED still in my mind is him laughing like crazy in front of a monitor.

Ennil El is the way better Ral clone. The only thing Andy has over her is his Disco Gun.

Holy poo poo I never saw this far in on CN, so I've only ever seen the normal gun on the DVDs. :laffo:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Too true too true, although Matt "KICK ME IN THE BALLS I NEED TO CRY PROPERLY" Hill is a close second.

We need both crying scenes side by side to work out who sounds more like they were kicked in the balls.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just learned it was Heero who voiced Sten in Dragon Age: Origins.

That is amazing. Anybody whoever shat on that guy is officially wrong and stupid.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I've started Seed destiny.

I though Sleggar Flaga had died. His voice actor is back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Strap in, Cochise.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I was confused at first too. But no, it really is dumber than you think.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was actually shocked how much I agreed with the "popular opinions" of the Gundam fandom. Opinions like Zeta being a masterpiece while SEED Destiny was a crime against humanity.

Although I still maintain SEED was pretty good. I just think Destiny kind of soured people on it retroactively. Don't let that happen to you.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ka0 posted:

This is only the tip of the stupid iceberg. Brace for impact.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I'm up to episode 3 and so far it's reverse Seed; there's a ZAFT ship pursuing an earth carrier with "omg important new prototypes" and they are apparently using pod-pilots the way the rowdyruff boys were. It warmed my heart to know that in this universe, Zakus are an upgrade from other machines.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I was confused at first too. But no, it really is dumber than you think.

The tagline for SEED Destiny.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ka0 posted:

I'm up to episode 3 and so far it's reverse Seed; there's a ZAFT ship pursuing an earth carrier with "omg important new prototypes" and they are apparently using pod-pilots the way the rowdyruff boys were. It warmed my heart to know that in this universe, Zakus are an upgrade from other machines.
The start of Destiny actually has some promise IMO, the episode where Kira comes back is where it goes downhill. Destiny is also where Kira goes from okay to beamspam jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Hey, as Judau would happily tell you, the Zaku III was a beast.

• Locked thread