Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

black potus posted:

ted bundy is the perfect example, he smelled very good but also killed women and would probably play delver

I bet he played Affinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Is War Horn's effect missable? What steps do you take if I realise at the end of combat that I've not been accounting for it for the last 3 attacks? In particular, if there is a blocker that should have taken lethal this turn?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gridlocked posted:

Thank you mighty judge.

Yeah god forbid somebody point out that this is all bloody covered in tournament policy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Is War Horn's effect missable? What steps do you take if I realise at the end of combat that I've not been accounting for it for the last 3 attacks? In particular, if there is a blocker that should have taken lethal this turn?

It's not "missable" as such (there's no point where your opponent gets to say "gotcha! you didn't get your extra damage from war horn"), but if you attack, neither of you notice that something has one more power than is actually printed on the card, and a blocker lives that should have died, you're not going to get to go back and fix it up when you realize 3 turns later that you forgot about it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Onmi posted:

Maybe captain goon has a horrible home life and yes, while he may be unhygenic and be using card sleeves we don't like and maybe snaps at people a bit rough.

Then he shouldn't be there. If you are smelly, angry and creepy in a place that is designed for people to relax and chill, then you probably shouldn't be there. If you calm down and take a shower and resleeve, then sure come on back. I feel like we're running into nerd social fallacies here, excluding someone who hurts the harmony of the group is not a bad thing. It feels bad because of lot of the people in this thread I guarantee have been ostracized nerdy nerds and getting kicked out of something feels like the worst thing ever, but honestly you have to prune the elements from a community that detract from it. Its why we have moderators who can probate and ban here. There are a number of reasons why a person may engage in toxic behaviors that may be beyond their control,. but the group shouldn't have to tolerate their poo poo, especially when it is bringing everyone else down and making people feel uncomfortable in what should be a safe space. Those overtly sexualized and objectifying sleeves in a public forum are a form of microaggression against women and really shouldn't be tolerated. Poor hygene is also a problem.

Onmi posted:

Maybe FNM is his only chance to get away from the horrible stuff and just relax. And then what do you do if a player is running about screaming that multiple players should be kicked out, trying to police who can or cannot come into the store? Are they well meaning? Or do they have a serious control problem.

That is a serious strawman dude. No one is running around yelling and screaming ban everyone. A person just needs to clean up, not use objectifying sleeves and not engage in unsporting conduct. These are rules that are pretty standard in society. (Also to stop people being overly pedantic about the objectifying sleeves thing, it is the same as having a boobie anime babe on a poster at work. If it is artwork that you would get sent to HR for having in your cubical/office/cash register its a bad idea.)

Onmi posted:

Do you want to handle the potential abuse slung at your store from said person, at the same time what if the players they're targeting have been nothing but upstanding?
Still strawmanning like crazy, your not arguing against banning anime sleeves, or people with poor hygene or who engage in unsporting conduct you are arguing against overly zealous pricks. If complained about person is not breaking any of those rules than yeah the person whose tattling like a 3rd grader on their older brother is in the wrong and will need to be told to stop or ejected accordingly.

Onmi posted:

If there was an easy answer and a simple solution? it would have been implemented by now. Problems don't tend to have simple solutions, that's why they're problems.

It is an easy answer with a simple solution, people just get mad when they are told they have to correct their own behavior or might lose some of their privilege.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 24, 2015

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Jabor posted:

It's not "missable" as such (there's no point where your opponent gets to say "gotcha! you didn't get your extra damage from war horn"), but if you attack, neither of you notice that something has one more power than is actually printed on the card, and a blocker lives that should have died, you're not going to get to go back and fix it up when you realize 3 turns later that you forgot about it.

I'm talking about correcting the combat that just finished though. End of combat, life totals have been updated, creatures sent to the graveyard, oh hang on you should have taken 2 more and this blocker should be dead.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I'm talking about correcting the combat that just finished though. End of combat, life totals have been updated, creatures sent to the graveyard, oh hang on you should have taken 2 more and this blocker should be dead.

If you're at FNM, call a judge. Regular REL says that a judge can back the game up if it's not overly disruptive and will otherwise leave the game state alone. In this case they'd probably back up to before combat on this turn since the +1/+0 can change decisions about blocking.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Gridlocked posted:

Ted Bundy certainly played with his lands in front too

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
All printed sleeves should be banned because they are invariably of horrible quality and split easily when mash shuffling. :colbert:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

All printed sleeves should be banned because they are invariably of horrible quality and split easily when mash shuffling. :colbert:

Sleeve covers are your friend

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
BFZ can't get here soon enough I want to start brewing

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Gyshall posted:

Lands in front is top tier. Next level Adrian Sullivan mental magic tech.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

BFZ can't get here soon enough I want to start brewing

I'm too busy being content playing Goggles Control. Oh yes, I'd love to draw four off of a red one mana spell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

I'm too busy being content playing Goggles Control. Oh yes, I'd love to draw four off of a red one mana spell.

Congrads, you just paid 7 mana and discarded a card to draw 4.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Dohaeris posted:

So here's what I'm looking at for Sultai Turbofog.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-standard-sphinx-mill/
3x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4x Defend the Hearth
3x Dictate of Kruphix
2x Dig Through Time
4x Dissolve
3x Island
2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3x Languish
2x Llanowar Wastes
4x Opulent Palace
2x Orbs of Warding
4x Polluted Delta
4x Sphinx's Tutelage
2x Sultai Charm
2x Swamp
4x Temple of Deceit
3x Temple of Mystery
2x Treasure Cruise
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4x Winds of Qal Sisma
2x Yavimaya Coast

Seems to be fairly succesful so far. Sideboard and mana base I am having a bit of trouble with though. Is the land okay? It seems to hit when I need it, but I wonder if radiant fountains could fit. Sideboard is something like this at the moment:

Displacement for RDW, hornet for that and lots of other stuff, infinite oblit for siege rhinos, negate for the mirror, profane memento for anyone with lots of creatures, reality shift for Dragonlord Dromoka, Ugin for longer matches, and an extra charm when that's relevant. So far I have managed to beat a mono white, elves, and even a RDW. Any suggestions for improvements?

I played a variation on the TurboFog build that was posted here a few days ago at FNM tonight, and went 3-1, losing to UW Heroic in a matchup I should've won if it wasn't for seriously dismal mulligans each game. The other three games were UB Control, Abzan Midrange and a BR Superfriends brew.

In your deck, I'd consider moving Jace to the sideboard, and bring him in Round 2 after your opponent has inevitably sided out every piece of removal they have. He'll have more chance to give you some value, as he's going to eat one of the many pieces of otherwise useless removal round one. I had four Negates in the sideboard (no counters main deck) but brought at least three of them in every single game. I'll be changing that. Maybe go from 4 Dissolves to 2 Dissolve, 2 Negate. I found that being able to Fog and counter something on Turn 4 was really helpful.

Orbs of Warding were in my SB, but I never brought them in. You could possibly swap Languish for either more Fog or Aetherspouts which was pretty great for me on many occasions. I love your Profane Memento in the SB, I had two maindeck and they were lots of fun when they were relevant. However I'll be moving them to the SB next time.

The one thing I really wanted the entire time though was (perhaps surprisingly) a Mage-Ring Network or two. I usually had some untapped lands at the end of each turn, and there were several occasions where having access to bulk mana would've been nice. I'll definitely be replacing a couple of the Radiant Fountains for Mage-Ring Networks for my next event. My only other concern is the amount of damage you'll be taking from fetches and pain lands. In many of my games, I was hovering around five or less life at the end, and that's without any fetches or pain lands, and WITH 4 x Radiant Fountains and 4 x Thornwood Falls for lifegain.

Otherwise, enjoy annoying everyone with Turbofog. =0)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Congrads, you just paid 7 mana and discarded a card to draw 4.

Hey man, I just like drawing cards, playing fifteen power chimeras, and copying fifteen damage spells as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

Hey man, I just like drawing cards, playing fifteen power chimeras, and copying fifteen damage spells as well.

Well if your opponent lets you drudle long enough to do that stuff I guess you're going to win.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Everyone has some redeeming qualities, this is just more proof.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you guys are doing a real "ted bundy special" on this joke

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Well if your opponent lets you drudle long enough to do that stuff I guess you're going to win.

Of course, drudling is a primary part of this standard's metagame. I drudle all day and night long, I even drudle when I'm walking to the mailbox and drudle at work. I'm not sure what you've been playing, but it's clearly not Magic as of recently.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Dohaeris posted:

So here's what I'm looking at for Sultai Turbofog.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-standard-sphinx-mill/
3x Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4x Defend the Hearth
3x Dictate of Kruphix
2x Dig Through Time
4x Dissolve
3x Island
2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3x Languish
2x Llanowar Wastes
4x Opulent Palace
2x Orbs of Warding
4x Polluted Delta
4x Sphinx's Tutelage
2x Sultai Charm
2x Swamp
4x Temple of Deceit
3x Temple of Mystery
2x Treasure Cruise
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4x Winds of Qal Sisma
2x Yavimaya Coast

Seems to be fairly succesful so far. Sideboard and mana base I am having a bit of trouble with though. Is the land okay? It seems to hit when I need it, but I wonder if radiant fountains could fit. Sideboard is something like this at the moment:
2x Displacement Wave
2x Hornet Nest
2x Infinite Obliteration
2x Negate
2x Profane Memento
3x Reality Shift
1x Sultai Charm
1x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Displacement for RDW, hornet for that and lots of other stuff, infinite oblit for siege rhinos, negate for the mirror, profane memento for anyone with lots of creatures, reality shift for Dragonlord Dromoka, Ugin for longer matches, and an extra charm when that's relevant. So far I have managed to beat a mono white, elves, and even a RDW. Any suggestions for improvements?

You might want to find space for a Tormod's Crypt or two. If people start realizing what I have, Rally the Ancients is bonkers powerful right now, and could carry on being powerful post rotation. Possibly even up the Orbs count in the SB too.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
*the magic thread in an alternate reality* Look guys, Ted served his time. He shouldn't get DCI banned just for serially murdering young women and then having sex with their corpses. Have you read his Reddit post on how he's changed his life for the better? And if we ban him what's next, banning Zach Jesse?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ramos posted:

Of course, drudling is a primary part of this standard's metagame. I drudle all day and night long, I even drudle when I'm walking to the mailbox and drudle at work. I'm not sure what you've been playing, but it's clearly not Magic as of recently.

I just cast the card "Siege Rhino" and profit.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'd like to stroke your rhino and then drudle some more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thats where Thoughtsize and Den Protector grease the wheels.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 24, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ramos posted:

I'd like to stroke your rhino and then drudle some more.

More like, I Goggle cast Fiery Impulse w/ spell mastery.

Or just Anger if you're going to be pedantic with Den Protector.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Can we just petition Ultra Pro to make Enthralling Victor sleeves?

Not gonna lie, tempted to get a custom playmat of this now

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Thats where Thoughtsize and Den Protector geese the wheels.

Why are you running geese? Yeah, sure, they produce a gold token each turn, but they seem like they're bogging you down after that point. Though you didn't specify how large Thoughtsize is and at this rate, I can only assume it's not very big.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I actually think this standard format is the least welcome to decks that do nothing than many in the past. All the good decks are very proactive.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I actually think this standard format is the least welcome to decks that do nothing than many in the past. All the good decks are very proactive.

I mean, has it ever been that hard to beat a goldfish? Congrats if you managed to though, it's a good place to start on getting better at the game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Pyromancer's Goggles deck protects itself via Anger of the Gods making the whole Deathmist/Den Protector engine go gently caress itself.

And then copied Anger of the Gods making everything go gently caress itself.

When Anger rotates out and if BFZ doesn't have an adequate replacement then the deck will be very, very sad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Would be a good mat but I feel like you'd need to change the color balance a bit to make the goblin stand out more. S/he's the real focal point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Pyromancer's Goggles deck protects itself via Anger of the Gods making the whole Deathmist/Den Protector engine go gently caress itself.

When Anger rotates out and if BFZ doesn't have an adequate replacement then the deck will be very, very sad.

Yeah. The replace is Seismic Rupture which isn't going to do poo poo. (Hopefully, they reprint Pyroclasm.)

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

By rights it should be the game day mat

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wasn't there something similar in the original Zendikar block?

Or maybe I'm thinking Slagstorm.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Wasn't there something similar in the original Zendikar block?

Or maybe I'm thinking Slagstorm.

You're thinking Chain Reaction.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

You're thinking Chain Reaction.

That's a very unfortunate card to copy.

Let's hope that isn't the red wipe spell WotC reprints.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

how realistic is it to build a standard deck out of current drafts and the event weekend tourney packs?

I want to play MTGO but I don't wanna spend a lot of money. I enjoyed the pre-release and release tourneys the LGS I went to did, so maybe the MTGO experience would be fun too?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

What are you trying to say about affinity players, that we're soulless machines? Hath not an affinity player the same life, the same mana, the same creatures? If you poison us, do we not die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The best option for a budget-conscious player would be to just find a budget-conscious list and order the cards for it. Someone near you might be able to give you the C/U in the deck and then just fill in the cheap rares. Maybe if you opened like a Jace in a draft you could trade it for most of the rares for the deck.

In the current (that is, pre-Origins) meta, though, the only competitive Standard decks that aren't expensive are Mono Red and Heroic. Mono Black Aggro is also a cheaper option. In a lot of cases, though, you could take a list you like over to the Brewhaus thread and we could help you figure out how to keep the deck competitive and still lower the amount of expensive cards in it.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard/full#paper

• Locked thread