Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

OSad posted:

I still don't understand what the Atlanta is good for. The guns are sub-par, the torpedoes have bad range, (I think) it's slower than the average cruiser, it has poor armor, it can't shoot very far and the shots take forever to get somewhere, and if they do find their mark by the time the next year comes around, if it's anything more heavily armored than a destroyer, even doing damage is going to be difficult I think.

Doesn't seem like a very excelling ship for 41 dollars. The rate-of-fire is nice, but is it worth nearly a full Ulysses?

HE spam, and I think AP plunging fire on the ships with really weak deck armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The trick of the Atlanta is it's dps with that retarded reload it gets.

Are there any performance increasing mods out there, game is running poorly on my Mac Book Pro and I like my botes during breaks at work.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I have finally finished the Kawachi. Please tell me the Myogi is better.

Well it's not the Kawachi and you're one step closer to the Kongo! :sun:

Seriously though the Myogi gets better range so that you can actually engage St. Louis class cruisers without having to weather a constant deluge of 6" HE rounds. The main problems with it are that it still doesn't have any AA (and no the 3rd hull doesn't count) and that the turret layout requires you to do some creative maneuvering to bring your two rear turrets to bear on the target.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OSad posted:

I still don't understand what the Atlanta is good for. The guns are sub-par, the torpedoes have bad range, (I think) it's slower than the average cruiser, it has poor armor, it can't shoot very far and the shots take forever to get somewhere, and if they do find their mark by the time the next year comes around, if it's anything more heavily armored than a destroyer, even doing damage is going to be difficult I think.

Doesn't seem like a very excelling ship for 41 dollars. The rate-of-fire is nice, but is it worth nearly a full Ulysses?

I honestly think the Marblehead (a US premium Omaha, presumably fully-equipped) will be a more cost-effective crew trainer than the Atlanta. Sure, it won't earn as much, and it's unlikely they'll give the Marblehead the Murmansk's firing range, but it'll still be an Omaha, a perfectly serviceable ship at a friendlier tier spread, and it'll have a premium credit and xp modifier.

Too bad they seem completely loving uninspired with regards to telling us when any of the planned new premium ships are coming.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 24, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I really liked the Kawachi but even I thought the Myogi was awful. Had some decent individual games in it, but still awful overall.

I'm also used to ripple firing to help my aim, so it was especially bad on the Myogi with only three turrets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheDemon posted:

I really liked the Kawachi

Why. I am genuinely curious.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arishtat posted:

Well it's not the Kawachi and you're one step closer to the Kongo! :sun:

Seriously though the Myogi gets better range so that you can actually engage St. Louis class cruisers without having to weather a constant deluge of 6" HE rounds. The main problems with it are that it still doesn't have any AA (and no the 3rd hull doesn't count) and that the turret layout requires you to do some creative maneuvering to bring your two rear turrets to bear on the target.

It's also only got 6 guns, and I'm pretty sure it has the worst gun dispersion in the game. It's a hunk of junk, but at least the grind is relatively short, and there are no more donkeys left to come after it

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Tell me about everything after the cleveland. Do I have more disappointment ahead?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well the Myogi is a rather fast BB (~30 knots), and gets a Scout plane. Though that's about the only good things about it.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
Somebody posted these saying that low tier premium ships have been distributed to super-testers.

I liked how fat and cute Mikasa looks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They can't all be coming, there are two more Auroras, two Tachibanas and two Omahas in there, would be a weird premium pattern to establish

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Pretty sure the Red and Green one will only be obtainable bundled with some gaming hardware.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oh right, that makes sense

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there a short list of ships that are considered really good that I should be aiming for? I just unlocked my first tier 4, and have more or less enjoyed the ships I've gotten so far, except maybe the T1 stuff.

Good ships :
Clemson
Minekaze
Aoba
Omaha
North Carolina
Kongo

Terrible ships :
Furutaka
Mutsuki
Kawashi
South Carolina
Colorado
Supposedly Izumo

Krogort fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 24, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Add the Warspite to the list of bad ships, it gets shat on by the MM all the time and is only mediocre to begin with.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I loved the sound of a premium Omaha, because that is my favorite ship. I'm not sure the Cincinnati/Marblehead is good enough to buy though. The increased torp range is the only stat that is better. You get 8.2km torp range instead of 5.5km, but with 2 tubes instead of 4. The rudder shift time is considerably worse (10.1 vs 7.5 on regular Omaha). :eng99:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
None of those premiums have me excited. The Sakura's concealment is INSANE, but 30 knots and garbage for torpedoes and the toy guns attached makes me feel nothing.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

PirateBob posted:

I loved the sound of a premium Omaha, because that is my favorite ship. I'm not sure the Cincinnati/Marblehead is good enough to buy though. The increased torp range is the only stat that is better. You get 8.2km torp range instead of 5.5km, but with 2 tubes instead of 4. The rudder shift time is considerably worse (10.1 vs 7.5 on regular Omaha). :eng99:
Yeah I don't think I will be getting one of those. It has the stock Omaha's almost non-existent AA and compares even worse to the Murmansk's AA plus 5.0s rudder shift and 14.8km range. The one thing it has over the Murmansk is the catapult fighter, although I really like the Murmansk spotter plane now that I have gotten used to it. It is fun shooting over mountains and hitting battleships at like 16km. It will get even more ridiculous with the +20% range from the tier 4 captain skill.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

OSad posted:

Bad opinions itt

The Atlanta isn't slow compared to other cruisers at that tier and certainly more agile. If you drive it like a cruiser you are doing it wrong.

The Atlanta is basically a destroyer. Use islands for cover to sneak around the enemy and pummel them into submission at close range. With how agile you are you can take on BBs at range, dodge their shots and just out DPS them.

The torepods are like all american torpedos. Short range but rather powerfull. Don't actively use them, but if you can surprise a ship between islands, you can easily dispatch of any foe.

Also furthermore the Atlanta eats planes and DDs for breakfast.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Koth posted:

Assuming WG hasn't hosed up the coding somewhere, of course.

Quoted because this will likely be useful someday.

Krataar posted:

Tell me about everything after the cleveland. Do I have more disappointment ahead?

What kind of adult beverages that come in liter bottles do you keep at home? If you have a fully stocked bar then you should be fine.. you don't even need mixers because straight or neat will be the best route.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 24, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Cool. My Nagato just got thrown into a 1v1 on North against a Montana.

I did 31k damage to him before exploding.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
http://blog.worldofwarships.eu/patch-notes-0-4-0-4/

quote:

Added consumable “Hydroacoustic Search” on the following ships – Kuma, Furutaka, Phoenix, Omaha, Murmansk, Marblehead, Marblehead (Lima) – starting with the stock configuration.
This could be interesting.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I soloed an almost full health Kongo last night. In my Furutaka. With torps. :black101:

I have reached a peak that I will never reach again.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Add the Warspite to the list of bad ships, it gets shat on by the MM all the time and is only mediocre to begin with.

What? Warspite owns. Excellent manoeuvrability, good guns for tier, and surprisingly hardy. Also gets fuckoff AA. Nothing at all wrong with Warspite.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

rossmum posted:

What? Warspite owns. Excellent manoeuvrability, good guns for tier, and surprisingly hardy. Also gets fuckoff AA. Nothing at all wrong with Warspite.

Yeah it spins like a top and I have been top tier ship in a lot of my games, it can seriously carry when the stars align right.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

It's also worth noting that it outranges New Mexico, widely regarded to be a very good ship - considerably so when its scout is up - and NM does not even get that luxury to offset its range issues.

Fuso outranges both, of course, but Fuso is a floating Jenga tower which can be seen from the Moon.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm really getting into this now. I still have an ambition to drive a CV and have worked my way up to the T4 US BB so the Langley is close. However I had a discussion in game last night and people seemed to think that the IJN CV's are better. The summary I heard is that US CV's have better defense/air cover but the IJNs are much better at sinking ships. And since sinking ships is what gives XP and credits, the IJN CV's are better. Is that fair?

Aside from that, I've really enjoyed the T3 US Cruiser but found the T3 BB terrible. I had a quick game on the T4 BB and it seems much better. Is there anywhere that might have a good discussion of all the ships and advice on which ones to go for? At a high level it seems in general the US BB's and Cruisers are better, but the IJN CV's and DD's are superior.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Japanese CAs are very decent but they mostly have paper armour, so they have to be played differently from US CAs. Everything past the Furutaka in the Japanese CA line is very good although the Aoba takes some getting used to, although it is still a considerable step up from the Furutaka.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

rossmum posted:

Fuso outranges both, of course, but Fuso is a floating Jenga tower which can be seen from the Moon.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

What is this exacly? Some kind of sonar ability that increases the range at which DDs and/or their torps are spotted?

If so, I'm not sure I like it. I understand that CAs are supposed to be DD hunters, but it's already easy to dodge torps in a CA.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 24, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

rossmum posted:

1 out of 10 games is a tier6 game, most of my games are tier8 with a lot of tier9 ones in the mix, super unfun. It comes down to being target practice for all those t7+ cruisers and those that AA does gently caress all against t8/t9 planes.
It is a really good and fun ship, if you get t6/t7 games, anything above that and it's really no fun at all.
Think it's because of a small sample pool? I just hit the 10th skill on the captain and got my Advanced Firing Training. Maybe it's because I play during weird hours but gently caress this bullshit.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

None of those premiums have me excited. The Sakura's concealment is INSANE, but 30 knots and garbage for torpedoes and the toy guns attached makes me feel nothing.

Remember that it is a tier 2 destroyer. Engagement ranges at that tier max out at 10km and the ships are generally slower. It won't be a problem to close range to fire those torpedoes but getting back out in one piece might be a bit more difficult.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/ver-0404-patchnotes/
Bismark distributed to super testers :stare::fh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Even money that, after super testers are done with Bismarck testing, there's a Tirpitz tier 7/8 premium out for sale before the end of the year.

Menelven
Mar 28, 2010

rossmum posted:

It's also worth noting that it outranges New Mexico, widely regarded to be a very good ship - considerably so when its scout is up - and NM does not even get that luxury to offset its range issues.

The NM does get a scout plane on its last hull. Just thought I'd say because don't think it actually says that in-game.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Even money that, after super testers are done with Bismarck testing, there's a Tirpitz tier 7/8 premium out for sale before the end of the year.

Pretty sure the Bismark is gonna be a T8 premium and the Tirpitz is going to be the one in the tech tree.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ranbo das posted:

Pretty sure the Bismark is gonna be a T8 premium and the Tirpitz is going to be the one in the tech tree.

Wehraboo wank over history, I forgot

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is the Atago worth the cost of entry? I never once spent a penny on WoT but the design of that ship is crazy nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

ijyt posted:

Is the Atago worth the cost of entry? I never once spent a penny on WoT but the design of that ship is crazy nice.
Atago can:
Shoot torps from forward 45 degree to backward 45 degree, total 8 tubes per side at 10 km range.
Shoot 10 shells (2X5 8 inch) relatively accurately.
Hide from view over 11.x km (10.2 km with module + camo).

Atago can't:
Take hits to side because cruisers don't get much armor anyway.
Shoot 6 shells going forward because 2 guns at the front are blocked.

Overall Atago isn't a bad ship of choice. It can engage at range (although getting hit will hurt) and charge in to be a threat to battleships using its speed (35 knots) and camo. It's easier to use compared to Atlanta imo, but Atlanta can be deadly if you can get into effective range.

gently caress pubbies.