Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Hey that Egyptian pyramid mid terrain would be pretty awesome for this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is premeasuring allowed?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

signalnoise posted:

Is premeasuring allowed?

Yes

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Commissar Kip posted:

Cirque du Frostgrave FANTASY WARGAMES ON ICE, if a mod could edit the title plz.

Done!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I think that the list of spell markers, models and terrain you'll need that someone posted a few pages back should go into the OP. I am going to start working on some stuff to make the game pretty and that list is a great reference.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

jodai posted:

I think that the list of spell markers, models and terrain you'll need that someone posted a few pages back should go into the OP. I am going to start working on some stuff to make the game pretty and that list is a great reference.

I agree! OP updated.

I also found some really cool 4Ground fantasy buildings, but they're very expensive and not terribly suited to "ancient city under ice"... they're more European split timber deals. So instead I linked to Hirst arts, which is :perfect: for the setting.

e: and some other things that were mentioned along the way.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 24, 2015

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I went for 4ground for the first time ever and they just arrived!! The laser cut MDF smells so loving good.

Speaking to my gaming buddies we just decided to jump from "ancient city under ice" to "this is mordheim but not really, also it's been a harsh winter". One of my friends also pitched the idea that "the setting in the core rulebook might be icy ancient city, but why not have it take place over other cities as well?". I believe he wants to have us all play in a desert themed city as well - explains him using his Tomb Kings minis.

My scribore miniatures also arrived - so I now have a bunch of cool bases and my Cthulhu wizard and apprentice. Now I just need some more cthulhu-esque characters. Does anyone have any ideas where to find cthulhu infantrymen or thugs?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm planning to use Tomb Kings minis too. We've just fluffed it as Frostgrave Museum has a bunch of their stuff, and they're here to reclaim it.

I'm amazed how far the Tomb Kings skeleton box goes towards making a band too.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I bought this set of Viking Hirdmen to top off my warband http://northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=3884. Pretty good stuff. 44 dudes, 5 different poses, 60 heads with 11 variations and a bunch of swords, axes, spears and shields. The best part is that they're the exact same size a the official Frostgrave soldiers so most stuff fits just fine between the sets.
The only problem is that they're all wearing chainmail, but it can probably be painted as coarse wool or something.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

The only problem is that they're all wearing chainmail, but it can probably be painted as coarse wool or something.
Or just paint it as chainmail. Not everything has to be WYSIWYG as long as you keep track of your models.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know, I just like variation.
Edit: And I'll be playing with horrible people who'll bitch and moan about non-WYSIWYG models.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 24, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Electric Hobo posted:

Edit: And I'll be playing with horrible people who'll bitch and moan about non-WYSIWYG models.

You could buy these

http://northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=5377

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

Are they seriously going to be douches about "that guy is obviously wearing chainmail - did you pay for that?" If yes, you need new friends, my man. As long as you've got an approximation of what the model is supposed to be carrying and you're not proxying a Space Marine for a fighter, tell them to shut the hell up. Either that, or be as pedantic as they are - "Wait - he has a potion? Where is that modeled on the figure? Oh, it's not? Then you can't claim to have it."

I hate people like that.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There are only a handful of troop types, how hard is it to figure out what is what? Are you expected to buy a new model if you get a suit or armour in a treasure stash? If you give your apprentice a bow?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Speaking of soldiers, does the game differentiate between any of the different types, other than statlines and weapons? I don't remember seeing anything regarding needing, say, a thief, or a knight for any of the missions.

quote:

…Of course we didn’t climb it. It was a hundred-foot ladder, standing by itself, with nothing at the top…

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 24, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The only differentiation I would ask for really would be to try and keep it somewhat consistent across models. Like if you want to use Space Marines, fine, I don't care, but please don't put down five tactical marines and tell me they're all different kinds of guys that I am going to have to try and keep track off. Although even that would probably be ok if you put little labels on the base or something.

I will probably carefully model things to match their equipment as much as possible, but I do that for fun and don't expect anyone else to do it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like how Frostgrave comes with a built-in excuse to use weird scenery you happen to have lying around plus maybe some spread out cutlery. "I wouldn't want to meet the being that ate with THAT knife an fork..."

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.
I can't really recommend 4Ground enough. Been building all afternoon and it's so drat fun. The smell of laser cut MDF makes me drool with pleasure.

Also, we've decided that proxy models are good enough, seeing as not everyone has models yet.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

I can't really recommend 4Ground enough. Been building all afternoon and it's so drat fun. The smell of laser cut MDF makes me drool with pleasure.

Also, we've decided that proxy models are good enough, seeing as not everyone has models yet.

Those prices though...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Straight outta Frostgrave, another crazy rear end wizard
More thugs I smoke, yo my rep gets bigger
I'm a bad magic user, and you know this
But the pussy-rear end mages won't show this
But I don't give a gently caress, I'mma make my snaps
If not from the artifacts, from potions or maps
Just like burglary, the definition is jacking
And when illegally casting it's called packing
Zap a necromancer in a minute
I find a good grimoire and go up in it
A crazy thaumaturge from the street
Attitude legit cause I'm tearing up poo poo
MC Merlin controls the prismatic
For any dumb chronomancer that starts static
Not the right hand cause I lost it to an Elf
Every time I pull a wand off the shelf
The encounter is random and that's a law
M-E-R-L-I-N spells Merlin but I'm raw
See, cause I'm the magic using villain
The definition is clear, you're the witness of a killing
That's taking place without a clue
And once you're in the crystal, your rear end is through
Look, you might take it as a trip
But a caster like Merlin is on a illusionist tip
Straight outta Frostgrave

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

Those prices though...

Yea, they are gorgeous, but I just tried to imagine the cost of populating a 3'x3' table with no more than 12" of LOS, and blacked out for a few minutes.

Would love to have something like that watch tower or the huge inn as a centerpiece, though.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
They're expensive, but they are also pre-painted and gorgeous. If you price out the time it would take to put stuff together and paint it it is a no-brainer.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Also I finally got the interview I talked about posted up with the author of Frostgrave. Check it out!

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2015/07/game-designer-interview-joseph.html

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Are they seriously going to be douches about "that guy is obviously wearing chainmail - did you pay for that?" If yes, you need new friends, my man. As long as you've got an approximation of what the model is supposed to be carrying and you're not proxying a Space Marine for a fighter, tell them to shut the hell up. Either that, or be as pedantic as they are - "Wait - he has a potion? Where is that modeled on the figure? Oh, it's not? Then you can't claim to have it."

I hate people like that.

I think it's simple enough that if you want to play the game with space marines, you can as long as they're distinguishable. A friend of mine has war machine stuff he never uses so we might play using those figures. Archers may end up holding rifles and wizards may have steam backpacks and we're okay with that!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

muggins posted:

They're expensive, but they are also pre-painted and gorgeous. If you price out the time it would take to put stuff together and paint it it is a no-brainer.

I hadn't realized they came pre-painted. That does certainly make them more worthwhile.

Commissar Kip, could you toss up some in process pictures?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

I hate people like that.

We had a guy start an official store Mordheim league and then said that all models had to be WYSIWYG including battle damage and such and also the not painted leniency was going to be done by the third week. Dude also min maxed his skaven list to be all snipers and such. Not surprisingly it didn't get to week three. WYSIWYG is so dumb in games like this.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Radish posted:

We had a guy start an official store Mordheim league and then said that all models had to be WYSIWYG including battle damage and such and also the not painted leniency was going to be done by the third week. Dude also min maxed his skaven list to be all snipers and such. Not surprisingly it didn't get to week three. WYSIWYG is so dumb in games like this.

It's even dumber in a game like Necromunda - those models were all metal (some one piece casts with the weapon molded to the chest,) and yet, you were somehow supposed to model damage and weapon changes.

My thinking is that as long as the models are distinct from each other and can be easily identified by a particular characteristic ("pirate-hat guy") and have an approximation of carried weaponry ("that handgun is a crossbow",) you should be alright. What would piss me off would be six identical models carrying halberds when one is a thief with two daggers, an archer, a warhound, etc.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If a minis line specifically was about that sort of customization as you go, like with pre-drilled magnet holes, then that'd be cool. Otherwise the requirement is a bit daft.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's even dumber in a game like Necromunda - those models were all metal (some one piece casts with the weapon molded to the chest,) and yet, you were somehow supposed to model damage and weapon changes.

My thinking is that as long as the models are distinct from each other and can be easily identified by a particular characteristic ("pirate-hat guy") and have an approximation of carried weaponry ("that handgun is a crossbow",) you should be alright. What would piss me off would be six identical models carrying halberds when one is a thief with two daggers, an archer, a warhound, etc.

Yeah I agree totally with this.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I hadn't realized they came pre-painted. That does certainly make them more worthwhile.

Commissar Kip, could you toss up some in process pictures?

Sure thing! I'll post them tomorrow as I'll have more time then.

berzerkmonkey posted:

have an approximation of carried weaponry ("that handgun is a crossbow",)
All guns are crossbows in my warband - with the +2 it makes sense.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I hate people like that.

I don't really need new friends, I just need to get some of my friends to play stuff like this. The super pedantic idiots work at the local game store, so I'm working on carefully getting rid of them without pissing them off.
Some of them also have a massive collection of used miniatures, so part of their shittyness is along the lines of "I have a figure that looks just like I think yours should. Wanna buy it at a stupidly high price?".
I guess that there are idiots everywhere, but it gets bad when they run the local gaming scene so they all can jack each other off.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:neckbeard:

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/Frostbrick/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Rulebook Heavily posted:

If a minis line specifically was about that sort of customization as you go, like with pre-drilled magnet holes, then that'd be cool. Otherwise the requirement is a bit daft.

It would be pretty cool to have some sort of modular miniature set where you could easily swap out weapons on the fly, even heads or limbs....

:aaa:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I was wondering how I was going to get non-minis gaming friends to play this with me.

Conveniently one of them has a giant LEGO medieval and fantasy collection.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Terrain wasn't made of lego bricks. 6/10 :colbert:

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

E:Whoops.

That Lego Frostgrave thing is so awesome. My younger brother inherited our Lego collection by virtue of having children first but this is the game I wish I could have played as a kid.

jodai fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 25, 2015

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

You wouldn't even need rulers you could just count studs since they are all spaced exactly the same

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 25, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That'd be pretty inconvenient/slower unless you used a ruler stick measured out in studs. :v:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Ok, two tips if anyone is interested in Brikgrave. Firstly, bases are not a problem. Secondly if you really don't want to use a tape measure there is the Brikwars Angry Inch as a useful LEGO only measuring tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Electric Hobo posted:

I bought this set of Viking Hirdmen to top off my warband http://northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=3884. Pretty good stuff. 44 dudes, 5 different poses, 60 heads with 11 variations and a bunch of swords, axes, spears and shields. The best part is that they're the exact same size a the official Frostgrave soldiers so most stuff fits just fine between the sets.

I was debating a box of these vs the frostgrave set, went with the frostgrave set instead for the little bit more variety in heads etc.

Actually I've just remembered I have a bunch of Celtic plastics from warlord games that I haven't used for anything yet.. going to have to dig those out too and check the scale of them out.

But £20 for 40+ models is awesome, been meaning to get my buddy to demo saga for me at some point and these will be the go to option for my saga warband :)