Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why would anyone trust a prospective government to live up to their campaign promises on Senate reform anything. Haven't we already been down this road?

E: actually, fixed my own post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
There is no way the Atlantic provinces yield on the Senate. No. Way.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

brucio posted:

There is no way the Atlantic provinces yield on the Senate. No. Way.

The Atlantic provinces don't actually extract any tangible benefits from being overrepresented in the Senate, if there is a deal with any sort of carrot for them why shouldn't they take it?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
D'oh, double post.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Here's a deal the federal government can make with the Atlantic provinces: refuse to appoint Senators from any province whose government has not signed off on abolition.

(This would leave senators from PEI, NB, and NS until 2030, and Newfoundland until 2039, but ~the arc of history is long~)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Heavy neutrino posted:

On the other hand perhaps a campaign built on the population's support for abolishing the senate might force those provincial governments to change their stances. If the CPC switches its stance towards abolition, you'd have pretty strong popular pressure in Ontario for flipping the province's stance. gently caress, just tell the anglo provinces that Quebec really, really doesn't want it and they'll jump at the chance.

I'm thinking the same thing. If the CPC are finally being pushed into the issue of abolition, you'd think the populist party would also adopt a similar view.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

jm20 posted:

A good interview, Chris Hadfield needs to run in Milton.

Speaking of Milton, a friend of mine who lives there told me an interesting story about Lisa Raitt the other day.

Apparently CN rail bought up a bunch of residentially zoned land in Milton a few years back using numbered companies to hide their involvement. Then they announced plans to build a rail yard on the land and everyone assumed they couldn't due to the zoning. However, there's an old federal law that allow railways to ignore zoning under certain circumstances. The kicker is that the Minister of Transportation has the final say and, well, Lisa Raitt is the Minister of Transportation and also Milton's MP.

A bunch of people are pretty upset because the city is against the development but has no say and because they expected to have a residential neighbourhood next door and now it's looking like they're going to have a 24 hour rail yard. Of course NIMBY is hardly a noble attitude but I would argue that it's at least a little unfair in this case because of the zoning. There are also rumors that Lisa Raitt is receiving money from CN rail which might influence her decision but who knows for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if she lost her seat in October.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

omg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydv3f4Qfd0E&t=1675s

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

acetcx posted:

Speaking of Milton, a friend of mine who lives there told me an interesting story about Lisa Raitt the other day.

Apparently CN rail bought up a bunch of residentially zoned land in Milton a few years back using numbered companies to hide their involvement. Then they announced plans to build a rail yard on the land and everyone assumed they couldn't due to the zoning. However, there's an old federal law that allow railways to ignore zoning under certain circumstances. The kicker is that the Minister of Transportation has the final say and, well, Lisa Raitt is the Minister of Transportation and also Milton's MP.

A bunch of people are pretty upset because the city is against the development but has no say and because they expected to have a residential neighbourhood next door and now it's looking like they're going to have a 24 hour rail yard. Of course NIMBY is hardly a noble attitude but I would argue that it's at least a little unfair in this case because of the zoning. There are also rumors that Lisa Raitt is receiving money from CN rail which might influence her decision but who knows for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if she lost her seat in October.

/Local Politics

The gist of it is they already have an intermodal facility nearby at Trafalgar and 401, but they seem to want to develop another on the land that they purchased covertly with named companies. They had 10 years prior instructed the Town of Milton, a multitude of times, they had no intent in the foreseeable future (20yrs) to develop the land. Following this statement, the Town of Milton proceeded to draw up a 10 or 15 year zoning plan and zone the area around the CN land as residential, and did not develop the infrastructure needed to support this facility (1500 heavy trucks a day). So now we have CN pushing for this facility, in a residential area with a lack of road/hwy access infrastructure. The hwy access (401 & Tremaine) isn't slated to be built for a while so these trucks will be forced to travel through rural roads or local roads not meant for such traffic.

Obviously locals don't want it driving down the :qq: house equity :qq: they earned.

https://www.facebook.com/miltonsaysno
http://www.miltonsaysno.com/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I enjoy it when the railway uses their superb legal protections and extensive jurisdiction to gently caress with people I don't like. It warms the cockles of my heart.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

jm20 posted:

/Local Politics

The gist of it is they already have an intermodal facility nearby at Trafalgar and 401, but they seem to want to develop another on the land that they purchased covertly with named companies. They had 10 years prior instructed the Town of Milton, a multitude of times, they had no intent in the foreseeable future (20yrs) to develop the land. Following this statement, the Town of Milton proceeded to draw up a 10 or 15 year zoning plan and zone the area around the CN land as residential, and did not develop the infrastructure needed to support this facility (1500 heavy trucks a day). So now we have CN pushing for this facility, in a residential area with a lack of road/hwy access infrastructure. The hwy access (401 & Tremaine) isn't slated to be built for a while so these trucks will be forced to travel through rural roads or local roads not meant for such traffic.

Obviously locals don't want it driving down the :qq: house equity :qq: they earned.

Or the Arbutus corridor in Vancouver which remained dormant for 10 years and the locals decided to plant gardens on what was still CP property.

:qq:

Bring on those trains!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

Here's a deal the federal government can make with the Atlantic provinces: refuse to appoint Senators from any province whose government has not signed off on abolition.

(This would leave senators from PEI, NB, and NS until 2030, and Newfoundland until 2039, but ~the arc of history is long~)

The government actually has to appoint senators, no starving the beast allowed.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Haha Ivison burned again

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

The government actually has to appoint senators, no starving the beast allowed.

That's a matter before the Supreme Court right now, but it's absolutely false to suggest that the courts have found or or the constitution includes a duty to appoint senators.

I don't expect they'll find that the prime minister has a duty to fill vacancies, or that there would be any kind of remedy against a PM who did refuse to appoint senators (what, does Bev McLachlin show up at 24 Sussex in the middle of the night and put a gun to the PM's head and yell at him until he appoints someone?).

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Pinterest Mom posted:

That's a matter before the Supreme Court right now, but it's absolutely false to suggest that the courts have found or or the constitution includes a duty to appoint senators.

I don't expect they'll find that the prime minister has a duty to fill vacancies, or that there would be any kind of remedy against a PM who did refuse to appoint senators (what, does Bev McLachlin show up at 24 Sussex in the middle of the night and put a gun to the PM's head and yell at him until he appoints someone?).

What's required to change the senate so it requires appointment from premiers? Wouldn't that change the dynamic of the senate for the better?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Senate reform has been CPC policy since before they formed government ten years ago, so it strains credulity to take it seriously now.

ocrumsprug has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Jul 24, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jm20 posted:

/Local Politics

Could the local authorities just not provide the roads needed for the facility? Make the route from the facility to the highway a horrible maze of traffic-calmed narrow streets that the trucks have an incredibly hard time navigating? Hell set up a maze of a "truck route" and allow smaller local vehicles to drive through? Basically lay siege to the yard.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Battlemaster OP best OP

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When you gently caress with the railroad, the railroad fucks back. And hard.

I mean, it's theoretically possible to make their lives unpleasant, but if there's even one level crossing at an important place, look forward to it being frequently blocked by trains during rush hour!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

What's required to change the senate so it requires appointment from premiers? Wouldn't that change the dynamic of the senate for the better?

Changes to the method of selecting Senators can be done via constitutional amendment with the 7/50 formula (Parliament + seven provinces representing 50%+ of the population).

I don't think imbuing Senators with added legitimacy and a constituency (their provincial sponsor) that would often be at odds with the federal government would do anything but make our system of government dysfunctional and unable to act. How does a federal Conservative government get anything past a Senate controlled by provincial Liberal appointees?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

This is not the world my father knew.
This is not the world, I know,
he would have wanted me to build,
But I can't undo it now.
It's like a train, and all its cars are filled with steel,
that I would stop if I knew how.
And it is bearing down on me.

So I will stand here with my shoulders square and tall,
and when the whistle blows, not falter,
but when the crash comes I will fall.
With so much steam and steel behind it,
I won't slow it down at all.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
You can tell it's an election year, because the federal government just showed up with a cheque for $1.53 billion dollars for the LRT Green Line from Centre-North to SE Calgary. The hope is that it will serve 40,000,000 riders a year or about 110,000 a day (presumably more on weekdays). If that's true, it'll take Calgary Transit LRT ridership to about 450,000 a day.

This'll cement Calgary's position as having the #1 light rail system in North America, which is pretty cool I think. :toot:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Evis posted:

Isn't the BC Liberal position that they're already protected? Also, was there anything else on that bill?

Sun Media-owned 24H newspapers are reporting that the latest round of polling, after the totally non-partisan childcare benefit cheques were handed out, put the CPC at 38% and the NDP and Liberals in the high 20s.

(It's not showing up on the 24H website, but it's in the newspaper itself that you can see here.)

Say it isn't so! :qq:

I wonder if the people who actually stay on the line long enough to listen and respond to a voice-activated robocall poll are representative of Canadian voters as a whole...

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Pinterest Mom posted:

Changes to the method of selecting Senators can be done via constitutional amendment with the 7/50 formula (Parliament + seven provinces representing 50%+ of the population).

I don't think imbuing Senators with added legitimacy and a constituency (their provincial sponsor) that would often be at odds with the federal government would do anything but make our system of government dysfunctional and unable to act. How does a federal Conservative government get anything past a Senate controlled by provincial Liberal appointees?

Perfect. Then we'd have far less poo poo bills like C-51 going through. If the government is serious about passing legislation that isn't regressive, the Senate would likely not be a road block.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

David Corbett posted:

You can tell it's an election year, because the federal government just showed up with a cheque for $1.53 billion dollars for the LRT Green Line from Centre-North to SE Calgary. The hope is that it will serve 40,000,000 riders a year or about 110,000 a day (presumably more on weekdays). If that's true, it'll take Calgary Transit LRT ridership to about 450,000 a day.

This'll cement Calgary's position as having the #1 light rail system in North America, which is pretty cool I think. :toot:

Holy poo poo it's actually finally going to happen. This is a big deal for the city, glad the funding finally came through.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Holy poo poo it's actually finally going to happen. This is a big deal for the city, glad the funding finally came through.

I know! The C-Train will have the same ridership level as BART (and 50k/weekday on the SkyTrain)! This is legit super exciting. Hopefully the other orders of government will be able to find the money.

E: double points for calgary because, unlike the BART, C-Train cops don't shoot you for riding while black

David Corbett has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Jul 24, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They threw 7 million at Vancouver Island to get our railway working again. As long as I've been alive there's always been some plan the works to finally turn the E&N or at least parts of it into a commuter service but it's never happened. But now it has SEVEN MILLION to... uhh... inspect some bridges I think?

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

David Corbett posted:

I know! The C-Train will have the same ridership level as BART (and 50k/weekday on the SkyTrain)! This is legit super exciting. Hopefully the other orders of government will be able to find the money.

E: double points for calgary because, unlike the BART, C-Train cops don't shoot you for riding while black
It won't happen. The Tories will make all kinds of promises, but the city actually needs very little money for the Green Line before the election after this one - because the entire downtown/centre street to 20th Ave. legs are still just a bunch of options for council, and even the SE portion - though the route planning is largely finished - is designed to be a separate BRT right-of-way finished literally a decade before the first mile of LRT goes in and the first section is mainly funded. The Green Line is supposed to handle trains 20-30 years from now, and I doubt the city can suddenly start building trains in four-five just because Harper made a campaign promise.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Token investment till they can write that part out of the agreement that binds BC to Canada. I still dream of some rich dick with a sense of humor launching a court case to formally secede, based on the lack of rail service. :allears:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

lonelywurm posted:

It won't happen. The Tories will make all kinds of promises, but the city actually needs very little money for the Green Line before the election after this one - because the entire downtown/centre street to 20th Ave. legs are still just a bunch of options for council, and even the SE portion - though the route planning is largely finished - is designed to be a separate BRT right-of-way finished literally a decade before the first mile of LRT goes in and the first section is mainly funded. The Green Line is supposed to handle trains 20-30 years from now, and I doubt the city can suddenly start building trains in four-five just because Harper made a campaign promise.

Actually, the mayor just made a Facebook post talking about how they were planning to go straight to the LRT phase.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rime posted:

Token investment till they can write that part out of the agreement that binds BC to Canada. I still dream of some rich dick with a sense of humor launching a court case to formally secede, based on the lack of rail service. :allears:

It's seems so obvious to convert even just the Victoria to Langford section of the E&N to some sort of commuter service. You've got a track going from downtown Victoria to "downtown" Langford (right where it's bus exchange is), the trip that has crippling congestion on it, and they can't figure it out. All They'd need are a couple passing sections and to buy some LRT vehicles. The grade crossings are all up to date and working. Run some trains up and down there, make the whole thing faster and more comfortable than the bus (which has to take a longer route and often gets stuck in traffic) and you're golden.

Seriously, look at where our region's traffic problem is, now look at the unused railway right below it that also goes through much denser populations and major workplaces.

Baronjutter has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Jul 24, 2015

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

David Corbett posted:

Actually, the mayor just made a Facebook post talking about how they were planning to go straight to the LRT phase.
Every engineer and architect on staff just got the most frantic phone calls.

I will still believe it when I see Harper actually give up $1.5bn for hippie trains.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Negotiation, compromise, and not trying to ramrod/hide lovely, unconstitutional legislation in ominbus bills?

Oh... I see your point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

David Corbett posted:

This is very cool and good, the SE is very poorly served by transit at the moment and also has a lot of the worst traffic problems as a result.

As a bonus, it spites massive known bitch Druh Farrell because she kept wringing her hands and moaning that the north leg should obviously be done first, and that's always something I'm strongly, strongly supportive of.

With regards to your earlier post, it's sort of depressing that we have one of the largest and most used LRT systems in North America by a variety of metrics, and the service is still so poo poo because our city is a sprawling wasteland.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

lonelywurm posted:

Every engineer and architect on staff just got the most frantic phone calls.

I will still believe it when I see Harper actually give up $1.5bn for hippie trains.

Every major city of Calgary project got a bunch contingency work done on it when oil started dropping. They aren't scrambling too hard

Also PT6A you need to stop calling everyone you disagree with names it isn't doing you favours

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Jul 24, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Every major city of Calgary project got a bunch contingency work done on it when oil started dropping. They aren't scrambling too hard

Also PT6A you need to stop calling everyone you disagree with names it isn't doing you favours

I'm not calling Druh Farrell a bitch because I disagree with her, I'm calling her a bitch because she is, in fact, a massive, massive bitch.

I disagree with my own councillor, Evan Woolley, on a number of things, but I respect him as a person even so because he expresses himself well and has fewer pet issues that are pursued with unending and nonsensical vigour. I don't like my MP, Joan Crockett, at all, but that's just because I don't believe she's a particularly good representative and I disagree with her views, but I'm sure she's a perfectly pleasant person that I could make small talk with without having the urge to vomit. Druh Farrell I very much dislike on a personal level. She's a self-serving, smug egotist who thinks she knows so much better than everyone else all the time. I cannot stand her. At least Nenshi I agree with from time to time, and he's done good things like wrangle this LRT extension to the SE.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ikantski posted:

Maybe we could just Office Space them and slowly move their workplace to the basement of Barbarella's or something until they stop coming to work.

You speak like the Senators don't spend half the day at Barbarella's anyway.

PT6A posted:

I enjoy it when the railway uses their superb legal protections and extensive jurisdiction to gently caress with people I don't like. It warms the cockles of my heart.

If you ever want to see some fuckery ready about CP restarting the lines they own in Obama's neighbourhood in Chicago.

Railways give no fucks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

lonelywurm posted:

Yeah, this cash would allow us to circumvent the BRT phase altogether. Which is really good, because I've been on that BRT route, and man does it ever suck. I guess it would be better if it actually got it's own right of way, but I could see our entirely idiotic council voting against that when it came time to actually build the thing.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

When you gently caress with the railroad, the railroad fucks back. And hard.

I mean, it's theoretically possible to make their lives unpleasant, but if there's even one level crossing at an important place, look forward to it being frequently blocked by trains during rush hour!

this isnt how railways work

Kly has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

sbaldrick posted:

You speak like the Senators don't spend half the day at Barbarella's anyway.

That gives me a perfectly good reason to go now! Networking and cheap lunch (and titties).

• Locked thread