Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

All abilites do the same thing, which is "hold down the enemy so you can shoot them more"
Which was honestly pretty garbage and they didn't change much throughout the series and didn't make them any bit necessary in the later games nor allowed you to throw people off cliffs or make them spontaneously combust as often as you should have been able to.

Ironically, Mass Effect 3 multiplayer fleshed out the biotic system and made it worth something. It only took a completely different development team! :v:

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Moving around in the Oblivion engine felt almost indescribably awful, and Skyrim improved it somewhat...Will Fallout 4 finally have controls on par with popular 1995 first-person game Quake?
You could rocket jump if you had 800 HP in Fallout 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPEyQp4x1qo

Oh wow, look at the comment section.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I'm gonna have to pass on that one, I'm afraid.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This is a good list:
1) New Vegas
2) Fallout 2
3) Fallout 3
4) Fallout
5) Fallout Tactics
6) Fallout shelter
7) Brotherhood of Steel

I say Fallout 2 is best, but in my heart of hearts I know New Vegas is better and I have played it for more time (though not much more). I also think Fallout 3 is better than Fallout 1, the original is quite empty feeling now and I rarely go back to it like I do with 2. I have zero problems with this list, which is rare for game ranking lists. Bravo IGN!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

New Vegas better than 2? That's rich.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm looking forward to Fallout 4 and I can't wait to play it :)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Frankston posted:

Controversial opinion, this.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Frankston posted:

The trolls in this thread are getting creative...

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bholder posted:

it's not a high bar to clear, but the interface for FO2 and the underlying game mechanics for FO2 are worse. the story might be subjectively better for FO2, but the actual game part of the "role playing game" isn't very much fun to interact with. any system where the amount of actions you can take is directly tied to an attribute or skill that the player can manipulate (or gimp) is poor design in TYOOL 2015. having an inventory that is difficult to navigate in a game that puts the player in a position to accumulate lots of gear is also poor design.

now if somehow beth were to contract an HD update for FO2 from Obsidian and they used something like the engine from Pillars of Eternity, well :getin:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Fallout 1
Fallout 3
Fallout 2
New Vegas

Haven't played Tactic, I probably should. Keep in mind these are all good games and I'm also accounting for when they came out.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I kind of want to switch the audio so the PC speaks some random language I can't understand, like Polish or whatever and leave the rest of the game in english.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Sylink posted:

I kind of want to switch the audio so the PC speaks some random language I can't understand, like Polish or whatever and leave the rest of the game in english.

set it to russian and you can pretend you're playing Fallout: Stalker Edition

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Frankston posted:

Can you please add some negativity to this post? I can't get off unless someone is getting mad about entertainment. I don't spend my hard earned money, and free time on things I enjoy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bholder posted:

New Vegas just has more of everything, it wins out by sheer volume. The conversation trees in 2 are better than New Vegas, but not by a huge margin like they are over Fallout 3. The factions are more diverse and interactive in New Vegas, you can't join the Enclave in Fallout 2. There is a bit of what you get in Vegas in the form of some interaction between New Reno/Vault City/NCR but for the most part all of the areas in Fallout 2 are more self contained than Vegas. New Vegas is what would happen if they turned the New Reno "made man" quest-line into it's own game.

The RPG aspects of New Vegas are also superior. There are no dud skills in New Vegas (unlike half the skills in Fallout 2). Every previously "dud" skill now has some cool crafting or whatever associated with it. The gambling mini games are also a lot more fun than "hit 1 then 2 on the keyboard as fast as possible, then collect infinite caps". And it goes without saying, but having every conversation voiced (instead of only a select few) is great and didn't seem to hurt the story at all. In fact New Vegas has the world record for most lines of voiced dialog in a video game, 65,000! Kind of makes Fallout 4 seem like crap, considering the protagonist only has 13,000 lines:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas#Development

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Hmm...they're fashioning Fallout 4 into a Bioware-like turd, sure, but did you know New Vegas has invisible walls? Owned much? :smugbird: :allears: :stonk:

Bioware is really good. Bioware FTW.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rutibex posted:

New Vegas just has more of everything, it wins out by sheer volume. The conversation trees in 2 are better than New Vegas, but not by a huge margin like they are over Fallout 3. The factions are more diverse and interactive in New Vegas, you can't join the Enclave in Fallout 2. There is a bit of what you get in Vegas in the form of some interaction between New Reno/Vault City/NCR but for the most part all of the areas in Fallout 2 are more self contained than Vegas. New Vegas is what would happen if they turned the New Reno "made man" quest-line into it's own game.

The RPG aspects of New Vegas are also superior. There are no dud skills in New Vegas (unlike half the skills in Fallout 2). Every previously "dud" skill now has some cool crafting or whatever associated with it. The gambling mini games are also a lot more fun than "hit 1 then 2 on the keyboard as fast as possible, then collect infinite caps". And it goes without saying, but having every conversation voiced (instead of only a select few) is great and didn't seem to hurt the story at all. In fact New Vegas has the world record for most lines of voiced dialog in a video game, 65,000! Kind of makes Fallout 4 seem like crap, considering the protagonist only has 13,000 lines:

Wow, quit trolling the thread with your "facts" and "logic" and "modern design philosophy" I mean those are just words. And my words are better than

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Kind of makes Fallout 4 seem like crap, considering the protagonist only has 13,000 lines:

... really? You don't see the flaw in that logic?

(Neither of the previous games had voiced protagonists at all. The numbers counted there were only for NPCs. The protagonist having 13,000 lines doesn't mean the NPCs won't have a comparable number to either FO3's 40,000 or F:NV's 65,000.)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Voiced protagonists ruining my RPG experience :qq:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Inn really loving the stuff they're putting in fallout 4. I can't wait to build my own settlements. Also gun creating looks amazing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

... really? You don't see the flaw in that logic?

(Neither of the previous games had voiced protagonists at all. The numbers counted there were only for NPCs. The protagonist having 13,000 lines doesn't mean the NPCs won't have a comparable number to either FO3's 40,000 or F:NV's 65,000.)

You know what a conversation is right? People talk back and fourth, so if the protagonist is talking in every conversation that means there can't be much more NPC lines than protagonist lines. If Fallout 4 is to have as much dialog as New Vegas it means that every NPC would have to speak four lines for every one line the protagonist speaks, which I don't think is likely.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't know what it is about voiced/silent protagonists that makes people go insane and start yelling things like "objectively better". I really could not care about that, except in the sense that it costs a lot of effort/money to do something I don't really care about.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rutibex posted:

If Fallout 4 is to have as much dialog as New Vegas it means that every NPC would have to speak four lines for every one line the protagonist speaks, which I don't think is likely.

Did they actually said they want F4 to have as much dialog as NV? It shouldn't be that big of a deal

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rutibex posted:

You know what a conversation is right? People talk back and fourth, so if the protagonist is talking in every conversation that means there can't be much more NPC lines than protagonist lines. If Fallout 4 is to have as much dialog as New Vegas it means that every NPC would have to speak four lines for every one line the protagonist speaks, which I don't think is likely.

You know with the newer consoles and PCs their limit of things to put in the games has risen greatly. Also your excuse is pretty dumb in general.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rutibex posted:

For every one line your character delivers there is no limit to how many the NPC has, except storage space on the game disc. An NPC could spend all goddamn day talking to you, even if the only thing you said was 'yes'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

... yes it does. Like even in games with voiced protagonists the NPC dialogue outnumbers the voiced protagonist due to things like audio logs, conversations between NPCs, and just the fact that NPCs explain things to your protagonist.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alain Post posted:

I don't know what it is about voiced/silent protagonists that makes people go insane and start yelling things like "objectively better". I really could not care about that, except in the sense that it costs a lot of effort/money to do something I don't really care about.

Someone earlier in the thread said people would be into the Mass Effect conversations if it was Obsidian and I've got to admit, I would. With Bethesda it's them putting a lot of effort into something they're not good at (the story) instead of spending that effort on what they ARE good at (???)

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

... yes it does. Like even in games with voiced protagonists the NPC dialogue outnumbers the voiced protagonist due to things like audio logs, conversations between NPCs, and just the fact that NPCs explain things to your protagonist.

Also reuse of lines. You can get plenty of mileage out of a handful of 'yes' 'No' and 'I'd like to know more' prompts

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rutibex posted:

New Vegas just has more of everything, it wins out by sheer volume.

Ok, that is just simply not true.

Rutibex posted:

But that is exactly how it works in New Vegas and F3

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

2house2fly posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said people would be into the Mass Effect conversations if it was Obsidian and I've got to admit, I would. With Bethesda it's them putting a lot of effort into something they're not good at (the story) instead of spending that effort on what they ARE good at (???)

Yeah that's true. Bethesda are terrible at dialogue and characterization, and there are far cheaper ways to get better at dialogue and characterization than having everything be voiced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said people would be into the Mass Effect conversations if it was Obsidian and I've got to admit, I would.

This is objectively true. Look at Alpha Protocol which literally has three (sometimes four) dialogue choices for every option. It's actually as simplified a system as Paragon/Neutral/Renegade/Interrupt Punch but executed better.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Right now, all we're getting is badly spelled tweet play-by-plays of someone watching the Quakecon demo, but at least there's confirmation that Dog can ride airships and wear a scarf!

quote:

In-game demo. Mr. Handy will say out loud the name you give your character. From "Shaun" to "Mr. F***face." Yes, he actually said it.

quote:

More ocncept art of a Vault dweller firing a minigun off teh side of an airship. Faithful dog sits beside the character, tongue out, wearing a scarf.

quote:

Diamond City, built in the ruin's of Fenway Park. Howard makes a jab at Sox fans. Concept art is on screen.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 24, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quote:

"We have a bunch of perks, and those are tied to your SPECIAL stats. Every time you level up you get to pick one.

Told you motherfuckers that skills were gone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Right now, all we're getting is badly spelled tweet play-by-plays of someone watching the Quakecon demo, but at least there's confirmation that Dog can ride airships and wear a scarf!

Welp. I'm not really sure how I can't play as Mr. Fuckface.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Hm.

quote:

A massive "Behemoth" mutant appears and appraoches the player. He uses VATS to target it. The Fat Man fires off a huge nuke and the creature falls. The mushroom cloud effect is awesome.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yup, sounds fallout alright

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

quote:

In-game demo. Mr. Handy will say out loud the name you give your character. From "Shaun" to "Mr. F***face." Yes, he actually said it.

GAME OF THE YEAR

quote:

Diamond City, built in the ruin's of Fenway Park. Howard makes a jab at Sox fans.

Hell, first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer was "That's a better class of people than you usually get there.":derp:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I can't believe they're calling the wacky Fenway Park village "Diamond City."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope baseball is a religion.

That or there needs to be a raider gang that soaks their socks in the blood of their enemies and beats people to death with the many varieties of bats in the game.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 24, 2015

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Lotish posted:

It is and there's going to be a unique Super Mutant called "The Green Monster" that doesn't do anything aside from being a Red Sox reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
^^I love this idea. You deserve a cookie.

Lotish posted:

Nah, then they'd be in Chicago.

Also: Fallout Shelter finally out for Android on August 13th. :w00t:

Doodles fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 24, 2015

• Locked thread