Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Does anyone have any good non Wildbow web serials to recommend? Preferably something that is less dark and less serious than Wildbow's works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Drashin posted:

Does anyone have any good non Wildbow web serials to recommend? Preferably something that is less dark and less serious than Wildbow's works.

Look here: http://qntm.org/fiction

Fine Structure and Ra were web serials that are now finished.. The other short stories there are pretty good, too.

Fine Structure is kinda hard to describe. Maybe someone else can try. Ra is about modern day with functional magic. In fact, it's so functional, you need university training to use it, and it basically a combination of physics and computer science.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Neurosis posted:

Also, cut out Contessa altogether or rework her power majorly.

I think a minor detail can easily make her power more workable. She can't see Endbringers in her path right? Make anyone that has been affected by the Simurgh a semi-blind spot. This allows for Cauldron to be immensely powerful in the early part of the setting, allowing them to gather the vast resources they have but ensures that by the time of Taylor Contessa can't just steamroll nearly everyone.

Also makes more sense that Cauldron would be more OK with an early end-of-the-world; besides losing capes to Endbringers after a while it just gets too complicated and impossible to keep properly Contessa-manipulating everyone.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
lmao the twist in ra is so bad

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Samog posted:

lmao the twist in ra is so bad

It's not that it's bad, it's that it's executed terribly. "Magic" being the only way to talk to an insane, wish-granting god is a cool idea. Magic being constructed by egotistical, lazy humans as a way to force their corrupted god to continue granting wishes, at the cost of weakening its prison is a cool idea. Our entire existence being a fabrication constructed as a consolation prize for the terrible few that managed to seal their god away at the cost of all of humanity is a cool idea.

Elaborating on all of these cool ideas by making it future-tech from the year eleventy billion and introducing a war between real humans and virtual-reality humans is dumb, as is a lengthy expository flashback to that war. Removing all agency from the main characters except as a way to clumsily advance the machinations of beings far more powerful than they are is dumb. The ending where the virtual humans win despite us never actually seeing them at all is dumb, and having the only scraps of victory the "good guys" can get being secured not by the protagonists but by a super-powered side character is really loving dumb.

It honestly felt like the author had one idea for what the big twist was through the first part of the story, then halfway through decided he had a way better idea and ran with that instead.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The guy who writes them is like that, he wanders off into multiple/parallel universes and super deep future stuff in a lot of his stories and it usually ruins it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's a shame, because his standalone stuff was really enjoyable. I gave up on Ra waaay before anything like that twist came up; after a while I realized I didn't know who anyone was or what their motivations were, and that I had no interest in finding out.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/363ww4/question_about_taylors_dad_spoilers/craj0yf

quote:

The conclusion is Taylor in a coma, trapped in her own head, with no voluntary control over her body. This is what Contessa meant when she said that Taylor would decide whether she found peace or didn't.
It's why Tattletale said she'd look after Taylor, and why she wanted to drive the point home for relative strangers who were there as guests. It's why Alec was there, and why her dad was alive, when he had every reason to be dead.
Brain surgery with a bullet isn't really possible, come on. The real ending is that Taylor is effectively dead but not dead, and has to live with the consequences of her decisions, in a pseudo-afterlife. This ties into the themes of the story. Powerlessness and consequences.
Intending to make this clearer in the rewrite. Floored me that it didn't come across for most.

- Wildbow

Calef fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 25, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:stare:

Well ok then.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

:stare:

Well ok then.

If you read the linked thread he's probably just loving with people, but I wanted to share the moment of gut-wrenching grief that accompanies not yet realizing that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I think what he is suggesting makes a degree of sense - the Earth Aleph Alec sighting is just weird and doesn't serve much of a purpose otherwise.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah, it makes a lot more sense and I think I like that idea more, just, he really needed to make it a little bit less subtle.

Catching up on Twig again, poor Jamie. I guess maybe, in a way, he's also a spy on the Lambs, if they can take out and read what he's seen in some other way, without asking him directly.

Things are starting to get interesting though; with the drugs in the water their chemical leashes are suddenly a lot looser, I wonder what's going to happen to them if the Academy falls.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 25, 2015

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

It would make more sense if she had just been killed outright.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I hope it's just wildbow trolling. "It's all a dream" is really dumb, ad it would make Contessa a total poo poo. I mean, I don't know if anyone is really in a position to condemn Taylor's actions at the end of worm. Bu if there is, it's definitely not Contessa.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

There are a few things that make the reading not work. Most notably Dinah.

But based on the reaction it got out of me before I got a chance to think about it/read wildbows comment It's still a heck of a good troll.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Wittgen posted:

I hope it's just wildbow trolling. "It's all a dream" is really dumb, ad it would make Contessa a total poo poo. I mean, I don't know if anyone is really in a position to condemn Taylor's actions at the end of worm. Bu if there is, it's definitely not Contessa.

I don't know if one part of an epilogue with small hints of unreality quite falls into the it was all a dream cliche

Why does it make contessa a poo poo
Taylor was dangerous and needed to be disabled or killed

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

NecroMonster posted:

There are a few things that make the reading not work. Most notably Dinah.

But based on the reaction it got out of me before I got a chance to think about it/read wildbows comment It's still a heck of a good troll.

What about dinah makes it not work

i'm not totally sold on the idea either, but i think given the convoluted way powers work and interact in worm it's a bit difficult to cavalierly dismiss an idea with superficial plausibility, as there's a high chance any issues can be hand waved away

as to mccrae's follow up comment... he does this poo poo all the time. i don't think the follow up comment necessarily nixes the idea

again i'm not convinced but there's some logic to it

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 26, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Why would you need to keep Dinah from knowing Taylor is still alive, and thus thinking she bears responsibility for Taylor's death, if You can just show her Vegetable Taylor and be all "look what you did!"?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think it does qualify as "it was just a dream" type storytelling because it portrays a dreamworld as real. It's not the entire story, but it is something that is never grappled with as a dream.

It makes Contessa a poo poo because with all her power, that's what she chooses to do to Taylor? It's not just putting down someone super dangerous. It's passing judgement. It's condemning someone to a solipsistic coma state. I don't think anyone is in a position to condemn Taylor for her actions at the end of worm, but Contessa is the absolutely least qualified. They're probably the two people who did the most to save humanity. They also share a lot of traits. Goal oriented. Master tacticians but questionable strategists. Willing to make impossible choices in the pursuit of their goals. Trust issues. They share a lot in common, so for Contessa to decide that is the fate Taylor deserves? poo poo.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This also stuck out for me more than anything:

Wildbow posted:

Brain surgery with a bullet isn't really possible, come on.
It feels like just a little bit of a 'gently caress you' that we were meant know 'brain surgery with a bullet' isn't possible in a world where multiple characters have perfect knowledge of the future(s), people can create semi-sentient constructs magnitudes more powerful than themselves, travel between parallel universes is taken for granted and the laws of physics are regularly broken. It has been a long time since I read it but isn't Contessa's power also literally "I know which exact actions to take to achieve my desired end"?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, that kind of irks me. I mean, I know I like wildbow's dark and gritty thing, but sometimes it's a bit... much... and I thought the ending of Worm was tonally just about right, if the bullet-surgery thing was a bit of an rear end-pull even for Contessa.

I choose to ignore the author's intent on this.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Pierson posted:

It feels like just a little bit of a 'gently caress you' that we were meant know 'brain surgery with a bullet' isn't possible in a world where multiple characters have perfect knowledge of the future(s), people can create semi-sentient constructs magnitudes more powerful than themselves, travel between parallel universes is taken for granted and the laws of physics are regularly broken. It has been a long time since I read it but isn't Contessa's power also literally "I know which exact actions to take to achieve my desired end"?

That read to me as just a bit of poking fun. The comments section for the last few Worm entries were full of arguments over what really happened and I'm pretty sure I read that sentiment verbatim several times. Wildbow says later in the same thread that the Worm ending is whatever it needed to be for you. My instinct is that he posted this whole explanation as a joke because he knew it would make people double-take.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I don't have any problem with the idea that Contessa could perform bullet surgery, I just don't like that she did, because I really disliked the epilogue.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Contessa used her power, realized that no, she couldn't beat Taylor, and did the best she could with what she had.

I choose to believe that Taylor died, and her epilogue on Earth-Aleph is the afterlife. She'd saved the universe, and got to rest in peace, knowing it was safe.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Pierson posted:

I think it's possible for Contessa's version of the Path to Victory shard to autopilot her body to perform the precise actions to fulfill victory conditions, either through canon (story) or word of god (Wildbow's posts outside of the story itself). I don't have a reference, but there are some good resource threads (Ack's being a notable one) that do a good job of summarizing info like that on SpaceBattles.

If you follow the subreddit you might notice Wildbow enjoys trolling with ambiguous answers from time to time, especially yes or no questions. I think in the end the consensus around that was that it wasn't canon or definitive WoG.

That said, an interlude explaining Parian's power is apparently finally in the works, in between Twig, Worm editing work, etc., and that isn't a troll.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I thought Parian was the cloth-golems person, I wasn't ever particularly confused about her power? What's the confusion with it?

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I thought Parian was the cloth-golems person, I wasn't ever particularly confused about her power? What's the confusion with it?

There's apparently some super-secret clever-usage of her power that (WoG half-spoiler)would have possibly turned the tide in a Behemoth fight.

Thread is here where wildbow shoots down everyone's guesses. It isn't actually revealed what it is in the thread, but Wildbow does sort of say the context in which it would have been used.

I suspect it's using her power to control dead bodies. It's the only thing the wildbow doesn't shoot down, and even mildly hints at in one of the comments.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Senerio posted:

Contessa used her power, realized that no, she couldn't beat Taylor, and did the best she could with what she had.

I choose to believe that Taylor died, and her epilogue on Earth-Aleph is the afterlife. She'd saved the universe, and got to rest in peace, knowing it was safe.

Eh, shooting someone in the head sort of qualifies as beating them.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
(Non-Wildbow-related content)

I just binged on a web serial called Mother of Learning over the last two days. Without spoiling too much, it involves time travel (of sorts), and takes place in what I might call a "rational magical" setting. Highly recommended – it's an easy and enjoyable read. Ongoing.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

NecroMonster posted:

Why would you need to keep Dinah from knowing Taylor is still alive, and thus thinking she bears responsibility for Taylor's death, if You can just show her Vegetable Taylor and be all "look what you did!"?

If the coma thing is true, then it makes sense that TT and Co. would be doing everything in their power to keep her body safe and her survival secret. Disregarding the awful things some very unhinged people might want to do to her in revenge; imagine what could happen if someone like Bonesaw, Valkyrie, or possibly Teacher got their hands on her.

Honesty, I wasn't the biggest fan of the "LOL JK, turns out you can separate the shard from the rest of the brain, all you need is bullets! Now go live your life free of major consequence!" ending so I'll take what I can get, but I really feel the story would be best served just lopping off the last two epilogues altogether.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

What are you talking about Worm ended with Taylor being shot dead.

:colbert:

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
Nope, I'm staying in denial. Taylor lived happily ever after.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
taylor doesn't deserve to be happy

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah it's not like she saved all humans in existence or anything

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Cryophage posted:

If the coma thing is true, then it makes sense that TT and Co. would be doing everything in their power to keep her body safe and her survival secret. Disregarding the awful things some very unhinged people might want to do to her in revenge; imagine what could happen if someone like Bonesaw, Valkyrie, or possibly Teacher got their hands on her.

Honesty, I wasn't the biggest fan of the "LOL JK, turns out you can separate the shard from the rest of the brain, all you need is bullets! Now go live your life free of major consequence!" ending so I'll take what I can get, but I really feel the story would be best served just lopping off the last two epilogues altogether.

But it didn't come out of nowhere, as the possibility is hinted at quite some time beforehand:

Snare 13.09 posted:

She ran her fingers over my exposed scalp, massaging it, as if she were feeling the shape of my head. “The size, shape and location of the Corona and the Gemma changes from parahuman to parahuman, but it tends to sit between the frontal and the parietal lobe. Beneath the ‘crown’ of the head, if you will. They can’t really lobotomize the Corona in criminals. Some of that’s because the location and shape of the Corona depends on the powers and how they work, and trial and error doesn’t work with the scary bad guys who can melt flesh or breathe lasers.”

She tilted my head back and felt around the edges of my mask, trying to find the part where she could pull it off. “I’m really good at figuring out where the Corona and the Gemma are. I can even guess most of the time, if I know what powers the person has. And I can pry it wide open, make it so the powers can’t be turned off, or I can temporarily disable it, or modify it. The powder I blew into your face? It has the same prions I put in the darts I shot your friends with. Cripples the Gemma, but it leaves your powers intact. Can’t experiment with your abilities if I’ve fried your whole Corona Pollentia, right? Right.”
Two shots - one each for the Corona and Gemma, no trial and error needed, because of Contessa's Path to Victory. That said, Taylor is an exception in that she was so in tune with her passenger (again, somewhat implied at this point) to the point that the Queen Administrator shard thought it was Taylor when it got jailbroken. Disabling for a time might be all that was needed to have gotten close enough to suppress QA more permanently.

Also Contessa *is* working with Teacher, and in 30.7 Teacher conveys to Queen Administrator acting as Taylor that using his power would allow for speech, so Contessa talking to Taylor afterwards might be because of that. Also, Dinah and Lisa don't necessarily know she's survived, because 1) Assuming they didn't witness her after her bullet surgery, if they even saw that, who would have told them? and 2) She ends up sequestered in a different, closed-off reality, something Teacher was able to do earlier, too. She isn't necessarily free of consequence especially if Teacher is involved and if Abaddon (entity #3 which caused Eden's death by trading the PtV shard and distracting her) is still out there.

Piell posted:

Yeah it's not like she saved all humans in existence or anything
By forcibly throwing wave after wave of parahumans to their deaths against the power-god just to bully it, and by doing so eliminating a significant chunk of the total number of parahumans in existence, after billions in human casualties. She then misinterpreted celebration for conflict, then slashed Teacher with her knife, then took control of and threatened Imp with her knife once she un-stealthed herself...

Pretty sure an autistic Master with total control and perfect tactics on account of near-infinite multitasking is worthy of a kill order, despite having gotten to that point by saving the world.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 30, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

By forcibly throwing wave after wave of parahumans to their deaths against the power-god just to bully it, and by doing so eliminating a significant chunk of the total number of parahumans in existence,

Only because despite her repeated requests throughout the entire work, those motherfuckers just wouldn't work together, even in the face of total extinction. Also how is that different from any other war ever? Are parahuman lives more worthy or something? Pretty sure preventing the total wipeout of humanity (multiple versions of humanity in fact) was worth the way lesser evil of killing a hundred or two forcibly conscripted parahumans, since there was only her option or Scion victory to choose from.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Also how is that different from any other war ever?

Because there is exactly one person still standing at the end on whom everyone else can assign the majority of their fear and gratitude, so she gets an insane amount of blame and credit, and the parahumans at this point in time surround her, have power, and may be willing to use it. She was dangerous enough to eliminate Scion, and she is no longer in her right mind.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

She was dangerous enough to eliminate Scion, and she is no longer in her right mind.

That's a good point. You could argue that she only did what needed to be done against an unstoppable enemy; ends justifying the means but then you could say the exact same thing about Contessa taking her out.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Why in the gently caress would Contessa leave her in a coma rather than just kill her? And are we really supposed to assume that no one, including Contessa, ever learned a loving thing over the course of the whole story despite Taylor trying to teach them and get them to see reason over and over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

NecroMonster posted:

And are we really supposed to assume that no one, including Contessa, ever learned a loving thing over the course of the whole story
I always figured Contessa shot her into sanity and safety and they all lived happily ever after, but when you put it like that, "no-one ever learned a loving thing" does seem more like Worm.

• Locked thread