Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Nope, I definitely had a bunch of stuff spawning inside, even Medusas. Moving the altar outside so I had more room to dodge his stuff worked great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Internet Kraken posted:

I know this is a joke but I'd really encourage new players not to go overboard with storage and hoarding stuff. There's tons of useless crap in this game you are never gonna use. There's stuff that's not even gonna serve you any good for decoration. Like, red ice can't be made into anything and spreads corruption, are you really gonna do anything with it ever? Just throw it in the trash.

You're gonna feel pretty silly when you come begging me for those stacks of cactus material I thought to save. :colbert:

I just took a look at my chests, and there is a lot of rubbish. It would take too much effort to clear them out and reorganize, though. Plus, I'm always thinking they'll patch in some new recipe that would use those ingredients I've been saving.

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I wish there was a faster, easier way to make teleporters. I mean, the laying wire part.

Terraria: a game where you can make a slime piano but not 10-block lengths of wire.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I wish there was a faster, easier way to make teleporters. I mean, the laying wire part.

Use a minecart. You move automatically at a speed you control, so you can just get yourself at a speed that you can place wire as fast as you can, and just let the minecart handle the movement.

Alternatively Frozen Slime Blocks.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Supremezero posted:

Use a minecart. You move automatically at a speed you control, so you can just get yourself at a speed that you can place wire as fast as you can, and just let the minecart handle the movement.

Alternatively Frozen Slime Blocks.

...you'd have to have a minecart track laid to the teleporter at which case why not just lay the wire, unless there's some way to just use a cart without a track?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the bee mount is good for laying wires as it will stay in the air stationary for a bit whenever you get off flat land

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

S.T.C.A. posted:

...you'd have to have a minecart track laid to the teleporter at which case why not just lay the wire, unless there's some way to just use a cart without a track?

I haven't tried but couldn't you lay down minecart track in front of yourself as you travel along it?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

S.T.C.A. posted:

Because laying the minecart works the same way as laying the wire while on the minecart. You set a speed and you just lay out track in front of you. Fully automatic.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

I know this is a joke but I'd really encourage new players not to go overboard with storage and hoarding stuff. There's tons of useless crap in this game you are never gonna use. There's stuff that's not even gonna serve you any good for decoration. Like, red ice can't be made into anything and spreads corruption, are you really gonna do anything with it ever? Just throw it in the trash.

Red ice is really useful for making combination frozen/crimson artificial biomes so you can grind for both biome keys at once! Add temple bricks or jungle seeds and you can grind for the jungle key at the same time! Do it in the ocean and you can grind for pirate maps at the same time!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i keep a bunch of garbage in chests so i can use quick stack to get it out of my inventory quickly

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Keep everything. There is a rumour that 1.3.1 adds weapons forged from 20 stacks of dirt.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if my only snow biome is crimson as well, can i still get an ice golem to spawn there?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I keep imagining, someday, doing a "chestless" game, where everything that can be placed in the world that I keep is in fact kept that way. All coins in piles, all blocks in other piles, all weapons on racks, etc.

item framing every crafting ingredient one at a time is kind of pushing it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Keep everything. There is a rumour that 1.3.1 adds weapons forged from 20 stacks of dirt.

i cant tell if youre joking or not

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

IntelligibleChoir posted:

infinite dirt block. 3996 dirt. lets you place lots of dirt

Verviticus posted:

if my only snow biome is crimson as well, can i still get an ice golem to spawn there?

yeah. mine is partially corrupt, and they still spawn there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Verviticus posted:

Yes, mine is the same way, although you might have better luck clentaminating it clean, simply so the crimson mobs aren't competing for the same spawn slots. You probably already know this, but Golems only spawn during rain / blizzards, so if you can't get one, make sure it's hard weather.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is it true that hardmode crismon no longer converts mud into dirt?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ariong posted:

Is it true that hardmode crismon no longer converts mud into dirt?

I've noticed that mud is completely resistant to corruption now, so it seems to be the case. If there's plenty of stone nearby like you get on the outskirts of jungle biomes, though, it probably still gets some crossover areas.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

VineST posted:

infinite dirt block. 3996 dirt. lets you place lots of dirt

I would do this if it meant any future dirt I mined would never be in my inventory.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I've noticed that mud is completely resistant to corruption now, so it seems to be the case. If there's plenty of stone nearby like you get on the outskirts of jungle biomes, though, it probably still gets some crossover areas.

Good. I have a layer of mud acting as the underground wall for my place, and if I had to replace it with clay then that would have to happen fast.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I see little reason not to keep just about everything. Chests are easy to make. Money is easy to come by, so it's not like you need the trivial amounts of coin you'll get for selling your garbage. If I come up with a cool building idea later on and it turns out I've sold off all of the otherwise worthless blocks I was planning on turning into floors or tables or whatever, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Just because you don't need tin for equipment anymore doesn't mean you'll never want to make tin plated walls.
Sure, you may have no use for that old silver armor, but perhaps the pants look just right with a certain dye that you're using on your lategame armor.
Do I need all of these stacks of dirt? Yeah actually, those came in handy when creating a skybridge/hellbridge/massive mushroom farm.
Somebody pressed the wrong key and accidentally threw away an important item. Good thing we still have all of these materials and can make another one.
Oh, you found out that those lovely shackles from the beginning of the game are used to make a really good magic accessory later on? Glad we held on to a couple.

Might as well just keep it all. All I really end up selling is duplicate trinkets/weapons.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
On our multiplayer server we just have a massive filing system. It does mean someone needs to go through chests every now and then to sell 40 unicorn mounts.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Verviticus posted:

Biome's other than Jungle, I believe, Mushroom, and Purity (forest) actually fuse rather than taking over. So a Snow Biome overrun with Crimson is still a Snow biome. It's essentially a Crimson Snow Biome. You'll meet both Crimson and Snow biome enemies there. The only time the fusions remove things is for fishing, where they for some reason made a priority order rather than just using the fusion system they already had.

Well, and Meteorite, which completely overrides the enemy list for Meteor Heads. It still fuses the biomes, though (which used to be a good way to get Biome keys, since Meteor Heads are pathetic, but then they made it so Meteor Heads simply don't drop anything in hardmode.)

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 24, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Vargs posted:

I see little reason not to keep just about everything. Chests are easy to make. Money is easy to come by, so it's not like you need the trivial amounts of coin you'll get for selling your garbage. If I come up with a cool building idea later on and it turns out I've sold off all of the otherwise worthless blocks I was planning on turning into floors or tables or whatever, I'd be pretty annoyed.

Just because you don't need tin for equipment anymore doesn't mean you'll never want to make tin plated walls.
Sure, you may have no use for that old silver armor, but perhaps the pants look just right with a certain dye that you're using on your lategame armor.
Do I need all of these stacks of dirt? Yeah actually, those came in handy when creating a skybridge/hellbridge/massive mushroom farm.
Somebody pressed the wrong key and accidentally threw away an important item. Good thing we still have all of these materials and can make another one.
Oh, you found out that those lovely shackles from the beginning of the game are used to make a really good magic accessory later on? Glad we held on to a couple.

Might as well just keep it all. All I really end up selling is duplicate trinkets/weapons.

On tonight's episode of Terraria Hoarders...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Supremezero posted:

It still fuses the biomes, though (which used to be a good way to get Biome keys, since Meteor Heads are pathetic, but then they made it so Meteor Heads simply don't drop anything in hardmode.)

Still annoyed by this change. Putting some meteorite in the underground Hallow/Corruption used to be a great way to farm for souls of light/night.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
1.4: changelog;

-Meteor heads now drop hardmode items again
-Added meatier heads to protect meteor heads in hardmode

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I kinda want to wander in other people's worlds. What's the best way to do that?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

casually

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Vargs posted:

This guy gets it. Too bad I often can't find what I'm looking for and only find it when I already obtained another :negative:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Red Mundus posted:

This game runs like complete rear end even with frameskip on. Any tweaks or something? It's unplayable.

A few people I play with and myself have experienced weird lag issues, managed to trace it to the multi core support. Turning it off made it all smooth again. My laptop had this issue but not my desktop.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Hoarding dirt is fine, never know what landscaping projects you might do

Hoarding more than two or three of any accessory or weapon is foolhardy. Sell those shackles and beozars

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So I got the DCU and most of the end game items that I care to have. What the gently caress do I do now?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sylink posted:

So I got the DCU and most of the end game items that I care to have. What the gently caress do I do now?

Get all cheevos, get all trophies or ~be creative~~~*~

(be creative)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Krittick posted:

Generally I do the following for a basic chest storage system when I make a new world/character, and expand from there as needed:

• 1 for low-tier ores
  • 1 for low-tier bars
  • 1 for Gems & Gemspark Blocks
  • 5+ for Basic Tiles: Stone, Mud, Dirt, Clay, basically anything you end up having thousands of due to mining.
  • 2 for Basic Furniture: Anything made with low tier materials. Doors, candles, etc.
  • 1 for building-aid tools: Eg. Various wood/leaf wands, range extender accessories, building potions.
  • 1 for boss summoning items
  • 1-2 for low-tier pickaxes/axes/hammers
  • 2 for low-tier accessories
  • 1 for vanity items
  • 1 for pets/mounts
  • 1 for melee weapons
  • 1 for ranged weapons
  • 1 for magic/summon weapons
  • 1 for ammo
  • 1-2 for quickly storing unsorted low-tier armor until I get around to making a mannequin hall for them all
  • 1 for wiring-related things
  • 5 for potions
  • 1 for seeds
  • 1 for flowers
  • 1 for dye plants
  • 1 for dye
  • 3 for fishing-related gear and fish. I also usually put my sonar/fishing/crate potions here instead of the main potion storage. These chests are usually separate from the rest and located in the Angler's home.
  • 1-2 for misc materials that I can never find a good organization system for (silk, cobwebs, coral, rotten chunks, vertebrae, etc)

And then a second copy of most of those chests for Hardmode. It varies a bit each time, but that basic setup keeps my inventory clean for the most part. It's even more convenient with the quick stack feature now.

I am really bad at trashing things I should otherwise keep to sell and I rarely ever store duplicates of an non-stackable item, but still have problems without tons of chests. :(

Edit: I'm also not nearly as organized as the above list when I actually make my storage room. It tends to have an awful layout and no organization other than each chest being organized.

Is it really necessary to sort out everything obtained after hard mode versus pre-hardmode? Isn't there some cross over?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Sylink posted:

Build a kickass base and wait for the next update (if there is one).

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I guess I can do that, I mostly wish modding was more friendly. It would be cool to have just endless invasion modes so building a large trap filled base would be meaningful.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Sylink posted:

I guess I can do that, I mostly wish modding was more friendly. It would be cool to have just endless invasion modes so building a large trap filled base would be meaningful.

Or mixing expert bosses into normal worlds without having to build a railroad to space and beyond and lots of arena's. (I have no idea if this is even remotely possible).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I didn't know a corrupted ice biome will still allow you to get ice biome quest fish. That's p. useful an makes me even less worried about decontamination.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
What kind of weapons are useful against the Lunar Cultist? I've been using the Piranha Gun since it just destroyed the Golem, but I think it doesn't always target the real Cultist. Should I at least do the martian madness event first?

Acne Rain posted:

I keep imagining, someday, doing a "chestless" game, where everything that can be placed in the world that I keep is in fact kept that way. All coins in piles, all blocks in other piles, all weapons on racks, etc.

item framing every crafting ingredient one at a time is kind of pushing it.

Eh, I usually keep 90% of things in my inventory, but I have a single chest I keep like 6 things in.

It's not that hard to do, you just need to cull the feeling like you need to hold onto stuff.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Blackheart posted:

I didn't know a corrupted ice biome will still allow you to get ice biome quest fish. That's p. useful an makes me even less worried about decontamination.

Corrupt oceans also count as normal oceans for fisherquests, they relaxed a bunch of the invasive hardmode requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Holyshoot posted:

Is it really necessary to sort out everything obtained after hard mode versus pre-hardmode? Isn't there some cross over?

I don't usually make hardmode versions for anything that has crossover, no. There are still lots of things that benefits from having a specific hardmode chest for it though.