Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Entropic posted:

I've got someone coming in tomorrow who wants help paying their Cryptowall ransom. :smith: Anyone gone through the process before? Apparently it involves buying loving bitcoins or something and I'm not sure where to start. Does the ransom notice actually give you clear instructions?

I've never done it, but the instructions seem very clear and straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Better than touching the poop.

My last job got hit with it a few times, and I had appropriate backups of everything so it was fine, but I would absolutely have just paid up if I didn't because the alternative would have been to shut down the business and fire everyone.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I don't think it's quite so insurmountable, but I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary. Banks really don't like bitcoin related transactions and the money is probably going directly to some really terrible things (without the many transaction layers that let westerners feel ok about buying anything at all).

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My last job got hit with it a few times, and I had appropriate backups of everything so it was fine, but I would absolutely have just paid up if I didn't because the alternative would have been to shut down the business and fire everyone.

But you see it is bad to support terrorists so shut it down! A cost of 250 to continue running your business is way worse than just leaving everyone out in the cold based on principles/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The best way for crypto to hit a server is this setup:

Server and Workstation part of a workgroup.

Workstation logs into server and has another admin account.

Has a backup service but the wrong plan that can't back up databases properly, but doesn't have the important location selected for backup.

Gets crypto.

:iit:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Been dealing with a user wanting to be in Microsoft Compliance lately. He had a question about his user CALs and we're attempting to get it squared away since it came from another vendor whom shall rename nameless.

Well, his vendor sent him an E-Mail stating, and I quote, His Server is installed with unlimited user CALs.

:psyduck: I ... what? No... NO!

Thankfully, I think my customer knows this is bullshit.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Absolutely do not let them pay for ransomware without requiring a virus cleanup on all machines and the server.

If the server's C: drive got hit tell them to spend that money on rebuilding the server and trying to collect any data they can about their company from other sources. If you decrypt and backup, any backup will remain infected and they'll continue to pay ransoms forever and ever.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Entropic posted:

I've got someone coming in tomorrow who wants help paying their Cryptowall ransom. :smith: Anyone gone through the process before? Apparently it involves buying loving bitcoins or something and I'm not sure where to start. Does the ransom notice actually give you clear instructions?

At least try to see if it is one of the infections where they've broken the encryption.

then tell them that Bitcoin usage puts you on an FBI watchlist (probably true)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

spog posted:

At least try to see if it is one of the infections where they've broken the encryption.

then tell them that Bitcoin usage puts you on an FBI watchlist (probably true)

First thing we looked into. It's CryptoWall 3.0.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Have you tried accessing shadow copies? I had a CryptoWall encounter last month and it turned out that the version I got was so awful that they neglected to delete the shadow copies. No promises but you might be in luck.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We've had more crypotwall attacks this week too. One of the victims has been hit before, just in March. There's only about 10 of them and it caused a big push to educate people not to double click on obviously suspicious files like resume.js, but just four months on and two of them did just that (one opening it, then forwarding it to a colleague saying "does this taste like ebola to you?"). Of course one of the offenders is super pissy that we're wiping her computer that had files saved to the local drive.

Like last time, it's emails with zip file attachments and a javascript inside. It looks like exchange 2013 and office 365 can tell what's in a zip file and block it with mail flow rule without having to block all zipped files, so we're testing that now.

Wouldn't have helped them (exchange 2010), but God know what will.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A good spam solution would have such as Sophos or Cisco ESA.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

Have you tried accessing shadow copies? I had a CryptoWall encounter last month and it turned out that the version I got was so awful that they neglected to delete the shadow copies. No promises but you might be in luck.

Cryptowall 3.0 deletes your shadow copies iirc. If you also attempt to change the file extension, it further fucks up your data.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A printer came in...

gently caress.

So they told me to "come pick up the printer for disposal" but failed to tell me just WHY they were disposing of it.
You could have at least warned me that it's making GBS threads loving ink all over everything.
On the upside, I found a quarter jammed inside. I bought a soda.

And then this happened...

There was no replacement waste toner cartridge on site, so rather than call Xerox and wait for another. User decided to empty it herself, when that didn't work, she called me.
Yes, I spilled the toner, because I I didn't realize that the door had been broken off in the attempt to empty it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A printer came in...

gently caress.

So they told me to "come pick up the printer for disposal" but failed to tell me just WHY they were disposing of it.
You could have at least warned me that it's making GBS threads loving ink all over everything.

HP Inkjet?

I had one that was left in an attic for 5 years and when I came to move it, it dumped black ink all over the carpet.

Those things dry-up if you don't print on them for two weeks, so this was just spiteful

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that stuff carcinogenic?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Woke up to a text message "Can you go in and retract an email that <disgruntled, fired employee> sent to staff ASAP??".

Well then. I suppose this should be good. Perhaps this is why I recommended that the policy be changed so that IT is occasionally informed of anything.

I checked on some ways to comb through exchange and remove the messages, but at this point it doesn't matter and given that half of our users are on another email system...yeah I'm just going to let this one go...also I liked the guy and sympathize.

Disgruntled Guy posted:

Today I was terminated from my position at * because my supervisor decided to tell me about issues and complaints up to three weeks later than the complaint. Then lie to me about dates and issues as if my entire time there was a test. Who wants to live and work under these conditions? My only reason behind this message is to tell you that any complaint wasn't heard by me as a janitor until way later. And when I spoke up about these issues I was told I was a liar and then after shrugged off and fired. You should know that any effort by me was purely to make a better place for you to work. I know that I don't have an image that you may necessarily associate with someone who cares, but I did. No matter how stinky the poop or how dirty the floors i was there for 20 days less than a year. I drove 120 miles a week through snow and rain to make sure facilities where clean. Often getting the only non 4x4 vehicle. risking my life for only 10.00 an hour to change a set of sheets and make sure people have toilet paper. The only reason I bring this up is because I did these things for YOU. To have no appreciation or even acknowlagment from your own "team" is a terrible feeling. As you walk upon those floors of yours, and throw away that full cup of coffee, know that it leaked out on a clean floor. know that trash bags full of tampons spill out in front of donors and you have no choice but to pick them up bare hand maintain a smile and say "I'm doing GREAT and you?"... most won't care. Spill your pizza, crumble your crackers, and by all means let your dogs walk on my work. Nothing's going to change, but I respect your life, so maybe respect the people that have no choice but to care about yours...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I didn't think you can retract from Exchange. Not like you can from GroupWise.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

GreenNight posted:

I didn't think you can retract from Exchange. Not like you can from GroupWise.

Yeah I mean I could go in and do a search across all mailboxes according to some guide but the "YOU CAN DELETE EVERYTHING IF YOU SCREW THIS UP" warning hit home for me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Spudalicious posted:

Woke up to a text message "Can you go in and retract an email that <disgruntled, fired employee> sent to staff ASAP??".

Well then. I suppose this should be good. Perhaps this is why I recommended that the policy be changed so that IT is occasionally informed of anything.

I checked on some ways to comb through exchange and remove the messages, but at this point it doesn't matter and given that half of our users are on another email system...yeah I'm just going to let this one go...also I liked the guy and sympathize.

It took two of these before management finally listened to me and started telling me about terminations right before they happened.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

spog posted:

HP Inkjet?
Yup.

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that stuff carcinogenic?
Yup.
And I've had a really bad headache since the toner incident. I'm trying to write it off as paranoia, but really I'm sure it's because I have a brain full of toner.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

And I've had a really bad headache since the toner incident. I'm trying to write it off as paranoia, but really I'm sure it's because I have a brain full of toner.

If you think it's bad now, just wait until the toner starts hatching.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you think it's bad now, just wait until the toner starts hatching.

If it's gotten that far, it's already too late. You'll be good for nothing but management track now, since it destroys anything related to problem solving and interpersonal skills.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You'd think they'd put a sign on the side of the printer telling people not to open the toner cartridge if they like the use of their lungs.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wait until those toner hatchlings turn into lil MFP's running about.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

bobmarleysghost posted:

Wait until those toner hatchlings turn into lil MFP's running about.

You've seen the posts throughout this thread, when the infestation is complete, every single employee has a printer at their desk.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That sounds terrifying :ohdear:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You've seen the posts throughout this thread, when the infestation is complete, every single employee has a printer at their desk.

It's already begun. We just negotiated a new Xerox contract for all new copiers and even added one, so we wouldn't have to use the mfp's as much or at all in some cases.
Then we bought like 12 new mfp's to add to the mix. :pseudo:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

This has nothing to do with IT, but a challenge came in.

We're starting a Biggest Loser competition here in the office next Friday. I'm kinda pumped because I'm easily the fattest guy here, and therefore I'll likely be winning a cash prize. I have been meaning to lose weight recently.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

neogeo0823 posted:

This has nothing to do with IT, but a challenge came in.

We're starting a Biggest Loser competition here in the office next Friday. I'm kinda pumped because I'm easily the fattest guy here, and therefore I'll likely be winning a cash prize. I have been meaning to lose weight recently.

Hit up YLLS, get on starting strength, do squats and deadlifts, drink a gallon of milk every day, GAIN weight from all the new muscle.

Bend some rebar on your knee.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hit up YLLS, get on starting strength, do squats and deadlifts, drink a gallon of milk every day, GAIN weight from all the new muscle.

Get buff and when they're like "you lose because you gained weight" you can just beat them all up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah, me and the wife have already started going back to the gym and working out. I need to lose this weight either way, as my sciatica's been acting up the last few days. I used to be 75lbs lighter when I was working at a bowling alley running up and down 42 lanes for 8 hours a day, instead of sitting in an office chair all the time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, me and the wife have already started going back to the gym and working out. I need to lose this weight either way, as my sciatica's been acting up the last few days. I used to be 75lbs lighter when I was working at a bowling alley running up and down 42 lanes for 8 hours a day, instead of sitting in an office chair all the time.
I know your pain, there.
I was already pretty big and put on 20 pounds in 2 months when I started office job. Its very frustrating.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ilkhan posted:

I know your pain, there.
I was already pretty big and put on 20 pounds in 2 months when I started office job. Its very frustrating.

Yeah I gained way too much weight when I went to a "Sit down" office full time, and quit smoking at the same time.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I gained like 15 pounds going from an overnight stock job to my current job, yeah. :smith: Hoping I can lose some of that when we renovate the workshop and switch to a workbench style where we stand most of the time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

175 at the start of my last job to 210 within 9 months. Drinking a ton of soda to say awake on long drives will do that for you, combined with eating lovely road food because you never pack lunch.

Now I'm down to 190, and I either want to stay here while getting buff as hell, or drop down to 180 and get moderately buff. As long as I'm under 194, so I'm in the healthy BMI for health insurance.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.clickhole.com/video/amazing-boy-saw-heaven-during-his-near-death-exper-830

Gotta get huge, gotta stay huge. Build bulk, Build mass.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

A decade ago when I worked retail, I was 165 lbs. 210 after a year in IT, and up to 245 around a year ago. I'm back down to 205 now, and probably should figure out how to get lower.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Eat less?

Or lift heavier printers all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
No joking, it's probably a good idea for everyone in IT to learn some basic lifts, especially deadlifts or some variation.

You're going to spend a lot of time at a desk, slowly atrophying while you snarf down mounds bars and Jolt cola, then one day you'll have to install a UPS in a rack, lift with your back and then spend the rest of your life going to a Chiropractor wondering why it doesn't seem to help.

• Locked thread