Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Dross posted:

There are other Toadies songs?

gently caress you. Gimme Backslider or Away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cadaver
Sep 16, 2007
Just posting to chime in long after the discussion has ended: Bought the 'digitech drop' today so I could avoid the hassles of retuning between songs. Swapped between 'No One Knows', 'Elephant', '1979' and 'I Appear Missing' with no fuss. Good stuff.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I just finished another one. I should probably take a break from making these things, they can be very time consuming!

As requested here:
Metric - Blindness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi9R7hKSgBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKdVnYmFGa0

Lead guitar is a really fun riff.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gonna buy that pack right away. Also Metric man keep up the good work.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mr E posted:

Also Metric man keep up the good work.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Fina posted:

I just finished another one. I should probably take a break from making these things, they can be very time consuming!

As requested here:
Metric - Blindness

:peanut: thanks man!

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002

Fina posted:

As requested here:
Metric - Blindness

Thanks dude. This is a fun one to play.

Also I'll echo the love for the Digitech Drop. Great investment if you hate re-tuning.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I built myself a new PC and I've been streaming Rocksmith. However, I've been having a problem. I can stream bass no problem, but when I go to play guitar, it takes a while for the notes to register. The higher up, the longer it takes, and sometimes it doesn't even play them. The lower I go, the less the notes 'swell' into being. I am baffled by this as I have never had this happen before. I have a slightly different audio layout, but I solved all the bass problems so I am guessing it is a processing thing? There are so many effects happening on the guitar that it doesn't like to run all these things? However, it does /sometimes/ work, so I'm not really sure what the issue is here. Any help?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

EvilChameleon posted:

I built myself a new PC and I've been streaming Rocksmith. However, I've been having a problem. I can stream bass no problem, but when I go to play guitar, it takes a while for the notes to register. The higher up, the longer it takes, and sometimes it doesn't even play them. The lower I go, the less the notes 'swell' into being. I am baffled by this as I have never had this happen before. I have a slightly different audio layout, but I solved all the bass problems so I am guessing it is a processing thing? There are so many effects happening on the guitar that it doesn't like to run all these things? However, it does /sometimes/ work, so I'm not really sure what the issue is here. Any help?

Check your intonation. If the guitar is out of tune on the higher frets it'll take RS longer to recognize em.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

awesmoe posted:

Check your intonation. If the guitar is out of tune on the higher frets it'll take RS longer to recognize em.

To clarify, it isn't that Rocksmith isn't recognizing that I am playing whatever note, it doesn't actually make any noise when I play the notes. It isn't a detection issue (I don't think), it's some sort of audio engine thing?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

EvilChameleon posted:

To clarify, it isn't that Rocksmith isn't recognizing that I am playing whatever note, it doesn't actually make any noise when I play the notes. It isn't a detection issue (I don't think), it's some sort of audio engine thing?

Hmm
Check the volume calibration? For me if I turn the volume knob down, everything is a constant volume until it cuts out, so maybe your high stuff is a bit quieter than the low stuff and it's not registering?

If it's not that I have no clue sorry!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Make sure you're definitely hearing lower notes earlier - I'd time it, play a note then mute it immediately so you're not hearing the instrument.

Streaming is going to lag like hell anyway, if there actually is a difference between low notes and high ones, I'd guess it's a side effect of the streaming encoding system. Maybe it's leaning on the system too hard and the game can't always ship out the processed guitar audio in a timely fashion, and higher frequency notes require more processing power for whatever reason?

You could try reducing the quality of your stream (maybe just the audio) to see if it changes anything, or lower the game settings to something less aggressive

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
What do you mean by "slightly different audio layout"? Rocksmith's audio setup is one USB cable. There's not exactly much than CAN be different.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

baka kaba posted:

Make sure you're definitely hearing lower notes earlier - I'd time it, play a note then mute it immediately so you're not hearing the instrument.

Streaming is going to lag like hell anyway, if there actually is a difference between low notes and high ones, I'd guess it's a side effect of the streaming encoding system. Maybe it's leaning on the system too hard and the game can't always ship out the processed guitar audio in a timely fashion, and higher frequency notes require more processing power for whatever reason?

You could try reducing the quality of your stream (maybe just the audio) to see if it changes anything, or lower the game settings to something less aggressive

I'm definitely hearing the bass notes. I have the volume way up and am not merely hearing my plucking of the strings. The audio engine is working the bass. I realize that streaming strains the system, but I figured I'd have enough stuff to not have to worry about it. There are lots of people who stream the game and have minimal problems, and I figured I built a strong enough PC this shouldn't be a problem. I should ask other people who stream if they have had this problem. What would be bottlenecking my performance, if anything?

Dewgy posted:

What do you mean by "slightly different audio layout"? Rocksmith's audio setup is one USB cable. There's not exactly much than CAN be different.

Well, I'm using a USB mixer currently for the audio out of my system now as opposed to plugging directly into the motherboard's sound. I assume this could make some difference.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Weird. I'd expect that to probably cause latency, but not drop out your guitar's line signal like that. I had similar problems and it ended up being one of my pickups being wired weird/wrong, maybe you should test with another guitar or recalibrate it?

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002
Can anyone recommend any good CDLC for working on jazz chords? Sort of like the advanced chords lesson where they're throwing 13 and 11 chords at you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well is the backing track coming through fine? And it's just the overlaid guitar that's delayed? But it seems to be reaching the game's input on time (not getting misses/seeing a visual response at the right time)?

I don't know how the computer's audio system really works, or how the streaming system interacts with it, but if all the stuff I mentioned up there is fine, it seems like the game's failing to pipe out the finished, processed guitar signal quickly enough. It's possible (I have no idea if it's true, but just imagine for a second) that the streaming system is contending for access to the system's audio buffers, since it needs to 'steal' the output to mix it into the stream. So you have a bunch of traffic and heavy work going on around something that's very time-sensitive.

That's why I suggested lowering settings, and maybe trying some dry guitar tones, just to see if it does reduce the problem. If it does, you'll know it's something to do with the system load

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Man, i didn't think My Bloody Valentine would work that well in Rocksmith, but someone made a custom for When You Sleep, and now i really wish we'd get a full MBV song pack, because it worked better than expected.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Faith No More 5 pack next week

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Freak Futanari posted:

Man, i didn't think My Bloody Valentine would work that well in Rocksmith, but someone made a custom for When You Sleep, and now i really wish we'd get a full MBV song pack, because it worked better than expected.

I was pretty surprised when I first checked Customsforge and didn't find anything by them and had pretty much given up hope by the time When You Sleep came out. Now I'm just jonesing for more, really all of Loveless.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

Four more songs than I was aware they had

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Kaboobi posted:

Yisssssssssss

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

Okay, that's pretty drat good too.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Kaboobi posted:

Oh wow

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Five pack means we're getting Midlife Crisis for sure, right?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

baka kaba posted:

Well is the backing track coming through fine? And it's just the overlaid guitar that's delayed? But it seems to be reaching the game's input on time (not getting misses/seeing a visual response at the right time)?

I don't know how the computer's audio system really works, or how the streaming system interacts with it, but if all the stuff I mentioned up there is fine, it seems like the game's failing to pipe out the finished, processed guitar signal quickly enough. It's possible (I have no idea if it's true, but just imagine for a second) that the streaming system is contending for access to the system's audio buffers, since it needs to 'steal' the output to mix it into the stream. So you have a bunch of traffic and heavy work going on around something that's very time-sensitive.

That's why I suggested lowering settings, and maybe trying some dry guitar tones, just to see if it does reduce the problem. If it does, you'll know it's something to do with the system load

The backing track is fine, the game is not registering input on time. It is like it is not processing the signal until too late. I mostly only play bass anyways so it's not the biggest problem in the world, but it's very confusing to me. I'm not sure where I should pose this question really. Also if there is some upgrade I could do to the computer to solve the issue. vOv

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Kekekela posted:

You should probably explore their songs.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Kekekela posted:

You'll want it all but you can't have it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mr E posted:

You should probably explore their songs.

I'll check it out. I remember seeing one of the guys from the band on Who Wants to be a Millionaire a while back and getting the impression they didn't do much after that album w Epic on it but apparently that was not the case.

quote:

You'll want it all but you can't have it.

:laugh: Nice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Was it Mike Patton? Because his sheer amount of output in various projects would probably make you think some are being neglected

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Was it Mike Patton? Because his sheer amount of output in various projects would probably make you think some are being neglected

Was it Jim Martin? He took a break from carving pumpkins I guess

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Kaboobi posted:

Fuuuuuck, just when I've got a hand injury and can't play for 6 months.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Quinctia posted:

Five pack means we're getting Midlife Crisis for sure, right?

I hope so. My dream list would be

From Out Of Nowhere
Underwater Love
Midlife Crisis
Land Of Sunshine or Be Aggressive
Superhero

Man, a Faith No More pack might be what makes me finally break down and get a bass :guitar:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Guessing it'll be something like...
Epic
Midlife Crisis
Superhero
We Care a Lot
From Out of Nowhere

Not the pack I'm really looking forward to, but it'll still be fun to play.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I bought a cheapo bass to see if I'd enjoy it. I enjoy it. What are some good beginning bass songs, either included in the base game, DLC, or custom?

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
How beginner are we talking about here?

Pour Some Sugar on Me has the distinction of being my first Master Mode clear, while playing it on emulated bass, so I'm pretty sure it's stupid easy. Same thing with Black Magic.

I think the bassline to Oasis's Supersonic is relatively easy without being so monotonous it gets boring.

I know that Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer and Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way (CDLC) are easier to play than they sound.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
From Out Of Nowhere isn't a really good song (for music games) I'd rather have Falling To Pieces

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 25, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are You Gonna Go My Way has a pretty common bass style that'll give you some good practice with a few key techniques. It's riffy enough for you to get the idea down, but there's a bunch of variation to learn

It does a kind of walking solo though so don't worry about that

Honestly though your best bet is to try some songs you like the sound of, you'll work out pretty quickly if the basslines are boring or not. Also the dynamic difficulty works quite well for bass since you're usually playing single notes anyway, so you can have fun with the harder songs

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Kaboobi posted:

Guessing it'll be something like...
Epic
Midlife Crisis
Superhero
We Care a Lot
From Out of Nowhere

Not the pack I'm really looking forward to, but it'll still be fun to play.

I can't imagine them leaving off Small Victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cadaver
Sep 16, 2007

drgnvale posted:

I bought a cheapo bass to see if I'd enjoy it. I enjoy it. What are some good beginning bass songs, either included in the base game, DLC, or custom?

Angela by Jarvis Cocker is repetitive and easy.
The Black Keys stuff is usually pretty easy and get you moving around the fret board a little more.
The Smashing Pumpkins bass lines are easy.
Go With The Flow is a good one for learning more endurance, as is Vasoline.
Chimney by Yellow Moon Band is easy.