Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Chomp8645 posted:

If we as a society have reached the point were facebook likes are used a legitimate measure of business success then I hereby motion that we all kill ourselves and shuffle off this dead gay mortal coil.

It's become one of those weird little metrics and I think it's positively stupid, too; I guess it's meant to reflect that more people support and enjoy that product/business more than anyone else. I run small business and it turned out to be one of those little things we wanted to focus on, having friends and family and business friends like and share our poo poo so it reached more people.

It turned out that it works as some pretty cheap and effective advertising if you can successfully engage with the people who are following you, to remind them, 'hey we're here please involve us in your budget, also tell your friends so they give us their money.'

Blame it on the internet and people doing little research beyond 'oh this one has a higher number than the other.'

But yeah lol Wildstar has less likes than fuckin' Neverwinter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

John Dyne posted:

Wildstar itself has 250k likes, which is potentially 250k people following their Facebook page.

SW:ToR has 2.4 million.
LotRO has 500k.
DDO has 150k.
Neverwinter has 400k.
EVE has 250k.
ArcheAge has 220k, and their last post has 5k likes.

Abysmal is an apt term for it.

The beta of a dead mmo from like 2004 that nexon killed and is being relaunched by the koreans gets more likes for their posts than wildstar

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

The beta of a dead mmo from like 2004 that nexon killed and is being relaunched by the koreans gets more likes for their posts than wildstar

Please tell me it's not Hellgate London and it's actually Auto Assault.

Edit: You said "nexon" my mistake -- gotta be DFO.

Edit2: Hellgate London and Auto Assault were better games than Wildstar.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 23, 2015

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Mayor McCheese posted:

Let's not say things we regret now

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Auto Assault had a very small number of awesome things about it but yeah overall it was a giant shitpile.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rexicon1 posted:

Let's not say things we regret now

I regret spending money on Wildstar, didn't spend a dime on the two I mentioned. :v:

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
They could, however, probably take Wildstar's server hardware and use it to spin up the last Tabula Rasa build and get a net increase in interest over Wildstar.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mayor McCheese posted:

Its DFO, Neople is doing the game themselves and its gradually working its way towards almost parity with the korean version. Its pretty great now.

edit: Also hellgate never died. http://hellgate.t3fun.com/Home/Home.aspx

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I actually played that version of Hellgate a while ago. It's pretty okay but they took some things out so it will run like rear end in certain areas no matter what you do. I quit when I saw two people talking about how they've been farming a single piece of equipment for over two years now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hellgate was practically Wildstar before Wildstar: Ex-Blizzard devs hyped on goodwill alone push out a broken product and basically implode from there.

And like Wildstar I bought it at launch too :(

In my defense I wasn't dumb enough to pay for a subscription, much less a lifetime one.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 24, 2015

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
The only thing I remember about Hellgate is the intro cinematic which was great. I think I played the actual game for like 30 minutes.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Unlucky7 posted:

In my defense I wasn't dumb enough to pay for a subscription, much less a lifetime one.

I was. It taught me that a lifetime sub option is a key indicator of a bad game.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Hellgate was such a strange beast, a couple of cool ideas (at the time) crammed together with a bunch of really bad ideas in an utterly broken engine.

Hellgate wore out its welcome a LOT faster than wildstar though, wildstar was more or less playable if you got through the queue whereas hellgate was just plain broken with abilities going on permanent cooldown until your relogged and such. Not defending wildstar mind you, there are degrees of terrible.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

down with slavery posted:

there are entire jobs that revolve around increasing social media likes/follows/jizzbombs

its a sad world we live in

At least in the case of facebook, the more "engaged" your users are, the more people facebook will show your ads to, for free. And the free advertising operates as a % of the number of likes you have, where the % goes up or down based on your engagement level. So it's definitely worth money to have someone running your social media thinger.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
let us all never forget our mmo purchasing mistakes *camera pans to warhammer online collector's edition box*

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

You shut the hell up, it was totally worth it for the graphic novel.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i bought the conan game but there was no warning that the code for one month of subscription time that was included in the box has an expiration date that passed before the game arrived at the store

i was angry back then but now i realize that mother russia was protecting young me from bad game

RottenK fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 24, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

sword_man.gif posted:

let us all never forget our mmo purchasing mistakes *camera pans to warhammer online collector's edition box*

No one else has ever made a class as fun to play as Squig Herder :sigh:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Byolante posted:

I was. It taught me that a lifetime sub option is a key indicator of a bad game.

I got kinda lucky in that my lifetime sub was for tsw. It's like in the grey area of "sort of worth it but also sort of not" so I only regret my tsw lifetime sub as much as I regret buying 200 dollars worth of crap in steam sales.

Berious posted:

No one else has ever made a class as fun to play as Squig Herder :sigh:

it hurts when you remind me this

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

sword_man.gif posted:

*looks at final fantasy 11 box with lots of regrets and lost time*

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you guys are loving idiots

he says, perched atop his throne of Every WoW Collector's Edition Released So Far, Two of Which He Has Purchased After Already Owning a Copy of the Base Expansion

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Ramadu posted:

*looks at final fantasy 11 box with lots of regrets and lost time*

*looks at age of Conan box and the wildstar legend edition*

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Age of Conan was loving amazing. For the first 20 levels.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SumYungGui posted:

Age of Conan was loving amazing. For the first 20 levels.

I remember when the game was released the majority of stats on armor did literally nothing, hp being the big exception. Also, someone crunched the number and it turned out female characters were objectively worse than male characters because their attack animations and thus their attack speed were slower.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

The Moon Monster posted:

I remember when the game was released the majority of stats on armor did literally nothing, hp being the big exception. Also, someone crunched the number and it turned out female characters were objectively worse than male characters because their attack animations and thus their attack speed were slower.

Which is an outrage and counterintuitive since usually female characters are better because their hit boxes are smaller.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Morglon posted:

Which is an outrage and counterintuitive since usually female characters are better because their hit boxes are smaller.

Or they inversely have faster animations and also smaller hitboxes

See: Tera Elins
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/Baraka-Lancer-vs-Elin-Lancer-Videos-inside?page=1

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god, please don't segue into Elins again.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Morglon posted:

Do hitbox sizes matter in a click/tab to target MMO?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Mayor McCheese posted:

Oh god, please don't segue into Elins again.

gently caress Elins, Popori is where its at.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

Necromancers in Age of Conan were my favorite poo poo-show. They went from sorta gimpy at start to mechanically broken and completely unable to control their pets within the game after a patch to being able to use their pets to one-shot murder anyone, anywhere, with total impunity and there was nothing the victim could do to stop it or get revenge. Their bomb pets would chase you for as long as the other person kept them on aggressive once they targeted you, anywhere in the world. If you ported away, they would just keep running until they got to you. When they did catch you they did enough damage to kill you, no questions asked, and when they did kill you if you were in town the guards would do nothing because the thing that killed you, the pets, were already dead but before that they weren't attacking you just targeting you.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

theultimo posted:

gently caress Elins
that's exactly where they didn't want it to go

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

croutonZA posted:

Do hitbox sizes matter in a click/tab to target MMO?

Sometimes but it's mostly harder to click it when that's the case. It's more often shooters and the like or stuff with manual aiming.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

SumYungGui posted:

Necromancers in Age of Conan were my favorite poo poo-show. They went from sorta gimpy at start to mechanically broken and completely unable to control their pets within the game after a patch to being able to use their pets to one-shot murder anyone, anywhere, with total impunity and there was nothing the victim could do to stop it or get revenge. Their bomb pets would chase you for as long as the other person kept them on aggressive once they targeted you, anywhere in the world. If you ported away, they would just keep running until they got to you. When they did catch you they did enough damage to kill you, no questions asked, and when they did kill you if you were in town the guards would do nothing because the thing that killed you, the pets, were already dead but before that they weren't attacking you just targeting you.

so conan did necromancer right, then

i guess someone had to, eventually

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Some good Wildstar news!

quote:

Hey, everybody! I’m Steven Engle, Lead Combat Designer on WildStar, and I’m here to talk about upcoming updates to player combat stats. They're some pretty big changes and we're all very excited about it here at Carbine. In this Deep Dive I'll go over most of the changes and some of the reasoning behind them.
What is Moxie?

Our stat system, while full of its own charm, is not easy to understand at a simple glance. The core problem? The primary combat stats make use of identifying terms that obfuscate the purpose of the stat itself. All of which brings us to the question: What is Moxie?

Anyone can log into an Esper and develop an association of the Moxie stat to Assault Power, but to a Warrior, Moxie means Critical Hit and Critical Severity Ratings.. We believe our players should be able to understand the purpose of a stat on first glance, and that purpose should remain consistent between all classes.

While the primary combat stat terminology has been confusing, it’s not the only issue involved in the decision. Current stat imbalances cause uninteresting gearing choices, and we also have power creep at end game that becomes unmaintainable by the time we release our next raid. So, after careful consideration of all of the issues, we chose to make the following changes.

Removal of primary combat stats and those stats deriving into secondary stats.

Players will no longer be able to increase Assault or Support power through Runes. In addition, all stats are going through a balance pass to make their power relative with each other.
Re-adjusting the power curve and adjustment of levels. While overall power should be relatively the same at Datascape from Live to 1.4.0, some other areas of the leveling curve might feel a slight difference.

So rest in peace, Brutality, Finesse, Insight, Tech, Grit, and Moxie. Some day you might find Heart and form a really cool super hero... but not in WildStar.

The Stats are Dead! Long Live the Stats!

We've established that the current primary stats, and how they worked, were not as successful as we would have liked but we still wanted a core group of stats that provide the player with a solid base. The best way to do this was to adjust the core stats to serve a clear purpose, to be consistent regardless of class, and granted with most visually customizable gear pieces.

Below are the core stats and their meaning in the updated stat system:

Assault/Support Power

This is given out via Assault or Support Rating and is then converted into Power. Almost all damage in the game scales off of either Assault or Support Power.

Armor

Armor determines the player’s base ability to reduce incoming damage of all damage types.

Health

This value determines the amount of damage the player can receive before death.

Shield Max

This value determines amount of damage a player's shield can absorb (extending health).

For those more interested in PvP, check out the core stats:

PvP Power

This is derived from the PvP Power Rating and is converted into PvP Power or PvP Healing. All damage and healing in PvP combat is scaled by this stat.

PvP Defense

This is derived from the PvP Defense Rating and converted into PvP Defense. All defense in PvP is scaled by this stat.

What About the Secondary Stats?

We no longer derive secondary stats from a primary source. They are now just considered combat stats. One thing that we really wanted to tackle during this update is improving stat balance and player choice. For example, DPS classes will no longer be able to increase Assault Power through the Rune system. This will allow us to better balance stats without having to keep their effectiveness relative to raw Power.

Here is a look into the non-Core stats, functionality updates, and new stats coming in the Beta:

Stats with no functional change:

Critical Hit Chance

Critical Hit Severity

Armor Pierce

Deflect Chance

Deflect Critical Hit Chance

Physical Resistance

Technology Resistance

Magic Resistance

Cooldown Reduction

Focus Cost Reduction

Stats that can now be gained through Rating:

Lifesteal

CC Reduction

Stats that are new to WildStar or that have function updates:

Strikethrough

This stat will directly counter an opponent’s deflect rate just as it would in the Live game. The improvement to function is that if a player's Strikethrough exceeds their opponent's Deflect rate, it is then converted into Armor Piercing.

Multi-Hit Chance

This is a new stat for all roles. Each time players deal damage or heal an ally, they have a chance to apply it an additional time. The value of the additional hit is determined by the effect that triggered it multiplied by the Multi-Hit Severity percentage.

Multi-Hit Severity

This is a new stat for all roles. This stat determines the magnitude of Multi-Hits.

Vigor

This is a new stat for DPS roles. Player damage is increased by this percentage, which is based on the player's current health. It is optimal at 100% health and as health goes down, so does the bonus.

Critical Mitigation

This stat will directly counter an opponent’s Critical Hit Severity.

Intensity

This is a new stat for healing classes and it is targeted for end-game players. This will increase outgoing healing, while also increasing the Focus cost of heals.

Glance Chance

This is a new stat for tanks. This stat grants a chance to reduce an incoming damage attack by the percentage defined by Glance Mitigation.

Glance Mitigation

This is a new stat for tanks. Each time players trigger a Glance, the incoming damage is reduced by this percentage.

Reflect Chance

This is a new stat for all roles. Each time players receive damage, they have a chance to deal a percentage of that damage back to the attacker. The damage dealt is determined by the Reflect Damage stat.

Reflect Damage

This is a new stat for all roles. Each time players trigger a Reflect, it deals this percentage of the damage received back to that attacker.

Focus Recovery Rate

The functionality of this stat has changed. Players now recover a percentage of their Focus Pool every second while in combat. This stat can now be attained through gear as a Rating.

Focus Pool

The functionality did not change for Focus Pool. The change is that it is no longer a stat with a set amount. Players can now add to their Focus Pool with gear.

Why Use Critical Mitigation When There's Deflect Critical Hit?

We aren’t going to give out Deflect Critical HitRating through gear anymore - it caused a struggle between player choice and design choice that did not improve the game. Players were stuck between having AMP and ability choices that required getting critically hit, and improving Deflect Critical Hit which devalued those choices. We caused unnecessary conflicts of interest which limited our ability to provide fun and engaging mechanics in some cases.

We wanted a tank stat that did not limit our ability to provide choice and did not introduce conflicts of interest with the player. We came up with Critical Mitigation, which grants the player the ability to deal with critical damage without losing those interesting gameplay triggers along the way.

The philosophy change outlined above is one of the bigger interaction and design changes. We wanted to give everyone a greater understanding of why it happened. There are many smaller changes to stat interactions that will be further discussing in Beta on the forums.
The Conclusion!

We want to give players more ways to play and interesting stats to build around, and we are working to make the combat stat system more intuitive and clear. It all relies on improving the overall clarity of our stats and making sure they feel balanced and fun. This means we will be relying on player feedback once this goes up to Beta (which you can sign up for here).

I did not go into great detail about the changes to Itemization, Runecrafting, or Tradeskills. Fear not, my friends! We will be releasing information on those topics in the coming weeks.

For even more answers to your class stat questions please check out the AMA we did on Reddit. You can also leave us feedback and questions by going to the WildStar forums and following us on Twitter.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Doesn't this change still leave a giant bloated list of confusing secondary stats?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mizuti posted:

Doesn't this change still leave a giant bloated list of confusing secondary stats?

No.

It adds to the list greatly.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

quote:

Vigor

This is a new stat for DPS roles. Player damage is increased by this percentage, which is based on the player's current health. It is optimal at 100% health and as health goes down, so does the bonus.

lol

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Lmao that is terrible, lower life, less dps. Don't stand in the fire Billy, you'll lose 90% of your dps!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hahhahaha what? how the gently caress can you balance a game around that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

No.

It adds to the list greatly.

Thank you, Wildstar, for making me feel slightly better about the lovely decisions Blizzard's made this expansion.

• Locked thread