Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Pick which combos you use based on what needs to be done. Slashing is almost exclusively the realm of tanks, and if there's a Ninja in the party, well, you can completely forget about using Eye at all, since it is imperative that they get it up with their first combo.

But it's not worth fretting too much over, as you need to keep maim up and not finishing combos is a DPS loss. As eye has a stronger potency if damage mitigation doesn't matter, unless you really need the damage reduction, overwrite each other all day who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ignimbrite posted:

Scrubs, I've been elusive jump-ing off platforms since titan

One time I elusive jumped off of demon wall

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hrm. Should have said "you can focus on just alternating between Threat and Path." Didn't mean to imply that Eye use was verboten.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

To expand on this:

Threat combo: (HT, SS, BB) 630 Potency, 2390 Enmity.
Path combo: (HT, Maim, SP) 590 Potency, 590 Enmity. Increases your damage (and threat) by 20%. Heals you for a small amount. Debuffs all damage dealt by the target by 10%. (All damage, not just physical.)
Eye combo: (HT, Maim, SE) 610 Potency, 610 Enmity. Increases your damage (and threat) by 20%. Increases slashing damage taken by the target.

Pick which combos you use based on what needs to be done. If there's a Ninja in the party, well, you can completely forget about using Eye at all, since it is more imperative that they get it up with their first combo rather than wait for you.

Oops i forgot how maim works. Eye is more damage though

Also you absolutely should be doing the slashing debuff for the ninja, Eye/BB is your highest potency combos AND the ninja gets to do more AE combos

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hrm. Should have said "you can focus on just alternating between Threat and Path." Didn't mean to imply that Eye use was verboten.

I also posted to see if I was missing something about that situation through someone I barely if ever talk to or even know of hulking out on me like a year from now about it because festering weird and obsessive grudges for years over minor things I get wrong instead of like, talking about it, is the way things apparently get done. :v:

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 24, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bonewitch posted:

Oops i forgot how maim works. Eye is more damage though

Also you absolutely should be doing the slashing debuff for the ninja, Eye/BB is your highest potency combos AND the ninja gets to do more AE combos

I disagree. I feel that as an MT, your first combo should be the threat combo. This means the Eye debuff you're waiting for will not get applied until six to nine GCDs in AT THE EARLIEST, depending on whether or not a Tomahawk and/or Overpower were used. Even then, the WAR MT's priority then becomes Path, because 10% damage reduction, and THEN maybe Eye.

The 60 potency drop of going from AE to DE is far outweighed by two full combos+ of no slashing debuff.

Now, as an OT, forget that, the OT is going to be throwing out Eye like crazy because FELL CLEAVE anyways.

Of course, if it's a static and you're talking to eachother on Mumble, why the heck are you taking advice from me? TALK TO EACHOTHER.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 24, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I disagree. I feel that as an MT, your first combo should be the threat combo. This means the Eye debuff you're waiting for will not get applied until six to nine GCDs in AT THE EARLIEST, depending on whether or not a Tomahawk and/or Overpower were used. Even then, the WAR MT's priority then becomes Path, because 10% damage reduction, and THEN maybe Eye.

The 60 potency drop of going from AE to DE is far outweighed by two full combos+ of no slashing debuff.

Now, as an OT, forget that, the OT is going to be throwing out Eye like crazy because FELL CLEAVE anyways.

Of course, if it's a static and you're talking to eachother on Mumble, why the heck are you taking advice from me? TALK TO EACHOTHER.

Your post literally said "forget about using Eye at all" which is totally wrong though. For anything other than early progression Path is garbage as well.

Also you can totally pull with a maim combo *especially* if you have a ninja giving you shadewalker and smoke bombing your highest DPS player. On the other hand, if you're in DF the likelihood of someone actually being able to pull off you (especially if you're using STR gear) is near 0.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I'm MT with a ninja in the group, should I be even trying to provide the eye debuff for him/her?

Edit oops never mind should refresh before posting, guess the answer is no

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Use Eye always. You'll never be hit hard enough in most content to need Path. And even when you do need Path, just use it for a move coming up and then go back to alternating Eye and BB.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

If I'm MT with a ninja in the group, should I be even trying to provide the eye debuff for him/her?

You absolutely should, it gives them an extra 60 potency every 18 seconds and gives you an extra 20 potency every maim combo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also does anyone else mix up path and eye every drat time? :(

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Has anybody figured out how perception factors into the rarity increase from appraisal actions? The tooltip for methodical appraisal says "increases rarity by perception x1" but that's obviously bullshit because it only goes up by like 100 and change.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Also does anyone else mix up path and eye every drat time? :(

I call them "the red damage one" and "the blue health one"

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Has anybody figured out how perception factors into the rarity increase from appraisal actions? The tooltip for methodical appraisal says "increases rarity by perception x1" but that's obviously bullshit because it only goes up by like 100 and change.

I don't think people have figured it out yet especially since it seems to have changed some

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I have a level 34 fisher, I've never actually done any fishing with it though. What's the best way to level it up/start learning what im doing?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

I have a level 34 fisher, I've never actually done any fishing with it though. What's the best way to level it up/start learning what im doing?

Probably fishin'.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I pulled with an eye combo all the time back in 2.x. Sure you don't get as much enmity as a BB combo, by the time I'm hitting eye I'd have unchained and berserk up so I would be well ahead of most people at that point. If anyone was close, the full buffed BB seals hate for a good while.

Granted I haven't warred at all in 3.0, I don't think that there would be such a dramatic change that you couldn't open with an eye combo if you're doing it right.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

TooManyUzukis posted:

Despite being filled with horrible racist propaganda, he Doman Adventurer's Guild was a pretty cool quest-line that everyone should do. I hope there is more of it.

It's no Star Onion Brigade >=(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Farg posted:

Find a spot where the fish are around your level. Fish there until they're all too far below your level. Then repeat.

Basically,

rock2much posted:

Probably fishin'.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been wondering: how is ninja at 60? I've heard a lot about every single other job but ninja is always overlooked.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
they got some neat cooldowns and an extension on huton that's hard to use in your rotation, that's pretty much it

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

jyrque posted:

I've been wondering: how is ninja at 60? I've heard a lot about every single other job but ninja is always overlooked.

2 emnity skills for your party, an off gcd attack, and off gcd buff, and a combo ender that extends huton. It's basically the same.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Find a spot where the fish are around your level. Fish there until they're all too far below your level. Then repeat.

Basically,

Do some of the guild quests. They generally put you in the area of fish around your level. Then you can keep fishing even after you level for more levels. lvlvlvlvlvlvlvlvlvlvlvlvl.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I got my Cullinarian to 60 to get easy scrips but every single day the 59 turn in is Liver Sandwich and not Marron's Grace :negative:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is leveling BTN / FSH as much of a slog as leveling up MIN? I only force myself to level that up because my retainer is a miner and he keeps catching up to me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

If you are MT and you have a ninja, the opener should involve the ninja dropping Shadewalker on you to give you a massive hate lead. I need to experiment with it more on relevant content but that should be enough to let you open with Eye comfortably.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

seiferguy posted:

Is leveling BTN / FSH as much of a slog as leveling up MIN? I only force myself to level that up because my retainer is a miner and he keeps catching up to me.
FSH is much, much easier, since it has crafter-style leves. BTN is the exact same as MIN.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

seiferguy posted:

BTN and and MIN are the exact same deal, just in different colours. FWIW, though, they're much easier to level after 50.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
What was the old crafting guide? Everything to 15, then something something something? I thought it was in the OP but apparently not.

I've got no plans to play the stupid crafting endgame but I feel like leveling the crafting stuff up a bit right now for some grand company seals (as I just swapped to the best grand company fixing a mistake I made as a noob).

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

bonewitch posted:

2 emnity skills for your party, an off gcd attack, and off gcd buff, and a combo ender that extends huton. It's basically the same.

Oh. Well no wonder.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Tensokuu posted:

What was the old crafting guide? Everything to 15, then something something something? I thought it was in the OP but apparently not.

I've got no plans to play the stupid crafting endgame but I feel like leveling the crafting stuff up a bit right now for some grand company seals (as I just swapped to the best grand company fixing a mistake I made as a noob).

Everything to 15, Cul to 37 for SH2, CRP to 50, WVR to 50. After that it's whatever.

This is only relevant if you want to HQ stuff at 50+ though, if you're leveling to get repair capabilities or whatever then it doesn't really matter what order.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tensokuu posted:

Use this site: http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-cul-culinarian-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/ (this is the CUL example, you can easily find the other ones there too)

Essentially, buy the list of items they suggest, then use a company manual, and start craftin' like crazy. The company manuals will get you to 15 pretty fast.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm doing triple triad. I'm trying to get those dang cards.

When you look at guides or lists of cards that exist about a fifth of them are completely censored out. I mean you go to http://ffxivtriad.com/ and scroll down those 30 cards at the bottom are all ******'ed out. I am told this is because those are heavensward characters? Every single repository for information about FFXIV triple triad has respected this convention to censor out whatever that fat chocobo or cat person's name is? Because suddenly everyone respects name spoilers? Is that the deal?

Secondly, I do not have the expansion, is my drop rate for these cards zero point zero? Yellow Dawn in the weaver's guild supposedly drops ******* but with the drop rates on regular cards I don't know if I should give up or keep going when I have a deck that works.

Finally, why am I doing this again? Besides these gold packs what can I even win with the gold saucer money. I've opened 20 of these gold packs and keep getting the same two 2* cards.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Finally, why am I doing this again? Besides these gold packs what can I even win with the gold saucer money.

Play more Triple Triad, play dressup.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Minrad posted:

[13:20](Machuca Papa) Lets pound the furry bastards

:yikes:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Capping red gathering scrip is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. With the rotation I'm using I can get an average of 83.2 scrip per Eorzean day with a minimum of 64. With the worst case scenario it would take me a little over 7 Eorzean days, which is pretty easy to spread out over a week.

That's also not including the potential for star bonuses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Krinkle posted:

I'm doing triple triad. I'm trying to get those dang cards.

When you look at guides or lists of cards that exist about a fifth of them are completely censored out. I mean you go to http://ffxivtriad.com/ and scroll down those 30 cards at the bottom are all ******'ed out. I am told this is because those are heavensward characters? Every single repository for information about FFXIV triple triad has respected this convention to censor out whatever that fat chocobo or cat person's name is? Because suddenly everyone respects name spoilers? Is that the deal?

Secondly, I do not have the expansion, is my drop rate for these cards zero point zero? Yellow Dawn in the weaver's guild supposedly drops ******* but with the drop rates on regular cards I don't know if I should give up or keep going when I have a deck that works.

Finally, why am I doing this again? Besides these gold packs what can I even win with the gold saucer money. I've opened 20 of these gold packs and keep getting the same two 2* cards.

1.Focus getting 30 cards to unlock a 2 star deck so you can use all 2 stars cards instead of 1 stars.
2.Google search the ff14 forums for TT start guide it helps you do this
3.Create 7 accounts, lvl them to 15, feed yourself to win the tournament and hold 8 of the highest ranks.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And for pretty princess dressup, don't forget that crafter gear exists - I've found it to be much better than "real" gear.

As far as the TT cards, the first thing you should do is take on King Elmer until you can get the Behemoth card, then after that focus on getting 30 cards ASAP. There are a few wikis out there that list opponents by deck strength, take them all on in ascending order starting with the weakest; keep battling them until they give you every card they offer. The gold pack will make you cry - I've opened about 50 at this point, and according to those cards I'm Momodi's biggest fan ever. Everything has been 2* dupes for me, with the exception of a single Cid card (which was also a dupe at that point) and a single Ultima card which for once wasn't a dupe. Don't spend any money on golds until you have all bronze-exclusive and silver-exclusive cards; the ones that are dropped by NPCs are much easier to get from the actual TT matches than spending MGP

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The fact that you can't glamour into crafter or gatherer AF (especially weaver AF) as a combat class is a loving crime against humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Fister Roboto posted:

Capping red gathering scrip is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. With the rotation I'm using I can get an average of 83.2 scrip per Eorzean day with a minimum of 64. With the worst case scenario it would take me a little over 7 Eorzean days, which is pretty easy to spread out over a week.

That's also not including the potential for star bonuses.

That's with having a botanist and a miner at 60, I assume? 16-24 scrip per node, 2 nodes per day per gatherer class. I'm just a miner and still hit 200 last night.

• Locked thread