Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

That also makes no sense because New Vegas has better freedom to do what you want within the game. A lot of Fallout 3 fans don't like that because it means they can fail quests.

Outside the quests, not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"I want the freedom to do what I want but I don't want the freedom to be in whatever faction I want."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

"I want the freedom to do what I want but I don't want the freedom to be in whatever faction I want."

I don't get it either but it's a pretty common complaint from people who dislike New Vegas that they feel railroaded and lacking in freedom. You can argue "well, you're playing it wrong" but that has never worked in the history of ever.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Bholder posted:

Outside the quests, not really.

Fallout 3 has essential NPCs and you can't affect the story outside of changing ending slides for 2 sidequests and 1 of 2 endings for the main quest.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't get it either but it's a pretty common complaint from people who dislike New Vegas that they feel railroaded and lacking in freedom. You can argue "well, you're playing it wrong" but that has never worked in the history of ever.

I can't believe people complain about railroading in NV because they don't want to put in the effort to go north of Goodsprings. They also think you can't ignore Benny to do sidequests for some reason.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The whole area is designed so you have to walk through multiple towns, following the footsteps of Benny, asking about his whereabouts. Sure you can go north, and face huge bugs and literal signs that tell you "TURN AROUND YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY".

That and how the NPCs just stand around do nothing but spew exposition and give quest.

And I'm not sure why everyone brings up factions that much since New Vegas is the only game that actually has anything to do with a faction system of any kind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I can't believe people complain about railroading in NV because they don't want to put in the effort to go north of Goodsprings. They also think you can't ignore Benny to do sidequests for some reason.

I think it's an interesting game design flaw in that players encountering too-strong enemies will just instantly assume they're not supposed to go that way as surely as if it were a barrier. (Though the invisible barriers over the deathclaw sanctuary probably don't help.) Like I said, I don't get it since I found NV to be way more free in what I could do but I think it's just that people are trained to think specific ways about games.

Lord knows if I'm playing any form of RPG and I encounter dangerous environments my first strategy is to see how far I can get before being mechanically forced to retreat, but not everyone does the same.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I took the north path once and decided never to do it again because it sucked and didn't actually offer any advantages.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Again, there are literal signs telling you to turn back, there's even a person kind enough to tell you that Deathclaws will maul your face in if you continue and he is right. You will also miss out a bunch of story elements if you just go north and New Vegas itself will be too difficult if you get there underleveled and underequipped .

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rabidredneck posted:

The leveling system works differently now. Perks are tied to SPECIAL stats, and not levels. Having specific high special stats means having good related perks.[/i]

Looks like the perks are going to suck in Fallout 4. If they are only gated behind stats they all have to be balanced for a level 1 character taking them, potentially.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bholder posted:

Again, there are literal signs telling you to turn back, there's even a person kind enough to tell you that Deathclaws will maul your face in if you continue and he is right. You will also miss out a bunch of story elements if you just go north and New Vegas itself will be too difficult if you get there underleveled and underequipped .

Didn't stop me.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Bholder posted:

The whole area is designed so you have to walk through multiple towns, following the footsteps of Benny, asking about his whereabouts. Sure you can go north, and face huge bugs and literal signs that tell you "TURN AROUND YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY".

In Fallout 3 you're meant to walk through multiple towns, following the footsteps of your dad, asking about his whereabouts, but you can go wherever instead. Sounds familiar.

quote:

That and how the NPCs just stand around do nothing but spew exposition and give quest.

No.

quote:

And I'm not sure why everyone brings up factions that much since New Vegas is the only game that actually has anything to do with a faction system of any kind.

???

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fallout 2 had the opposing Rangers and Slavers factions you could join as well as the Families in New Reno.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Looks like the perks are going to suck in Fallout 4. If they are only gated behind stats they all have to be balanced for a level 1 character taking them, potentially.

quote:

"We have a bunch of perks, and those are tied to your SPECIAL stats. Every time you level up you get to pick one.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Bholder posted:

In Fallout 3 there are signs pointing you to Megaton, and encouraging you to go to Megaton, you can ignore them and walk past difficult early game enemies and go straight to the Vault your dad is in, skipping half the main story.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I am forced to be in a breeder marriage but I can go have gay sex with any of my followers? BETHESDA YOU SHITLORDS

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
You can literally walk to The Tops and dome Benny at the start of the game, you just have to put a little effort into it which makes tons of noobs cry.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NotALizardman posted:

In Fallout 3 there are signs pointing you to Megaton, and encouraging you to go to Megaton, you can ignore them and walk past difficult early game enemies and go straight to the Vault your dad is in, skipping half the main story.

As far as I remember no Deathclaws try to stop you doing that.

You also need to have a bunch of meta-knowledge.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Help! I need to experience all the Content, but challenge makes me puke!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I don't get why you think that.

Perks being gated by level and stats has been done before and there's no reason to assume it won't be gated again without levels. You might not need to be level (x) to get the perk but I bet they'll be gated in some fashion that means you can't get them at level 1.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Man Whore posted:

Skyrim pre-release was just like this

this thread aint got poo poo on the skyrim prerelease thread

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

this thread aint got poo poo on the skyrim prerelease thread

And I thought I've seen the worse on the official Bethesda Forums.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pwnstar posted:

Fallout 2 had the opposing Rangers and Slavers factions you could join as well as the Families in New Reno.

You could also become a citizen of Vault City, or join the Ghouls.

It is quite obvious that New Vegas is in all ways the true squeal to Fallout 2, not just story but quest and design elements are carried over that Fallout 3 just ignored. That's a big part of why I like it better, it's not a top down isometric turn based game, but it's a heck of a lot more "fallout" than 3.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i must be the only person alive that doesnt care about whats under the hood of these games mechanics, bullshit like special and perks isnt why i play at all

though i do mourn morrowinds lost magic schools

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Bholder posted:

As far as I remember no Deathclaws try to stop you doing that.

You also need to have a bunch of meta-knowledge.

Meta-knowledge, such as knowing that Stealth Boys make you invisible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HalfHazard posted:

Meta-knowledge, such as knowing that Stealth Boys make you invisible

I bet that runs into the "I have a limited number of these, what if I use it now and need it later?!" problem.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

I bet that runs into the "I have a limited number of these, what if I use it now and need it later?!" problem.

Then you use a stealth boy and realize that they're sort of rear end.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I do this in every game ever.
I end up using almost zero consumables ever because of it, god bless that dumb spell in skyrim that turns hp into magicka.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Funky Valentine posted:

Then you use a stealth boy and realize that they're sort of rear end.

They're actually really good and give you almost perfect invisibility.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
How else would you steal the Van Graffs' entire inventory without having to murder them at level 8?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

NotALizardman posted:

About the first thing I do in fallout 2 is beeline for Navarro to grab a suit of enclave power armor

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

How else would you steal the Van Graffs' entire inventory without having to murder them at level 8?

Drag their guns to the bathroom in the back out of the sight of the guards and then add them to your inventory?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

real talk you just open the door near the back of the shop and Q+carry (or whatever key you have bound) every item around the wall where no one can see you. 100% HIDDEN if no one is looking at you. you can do this at any level, and you can bring along a locksmith's reader or whatever if you need help picking the lock

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Or steal the dogtags from every single trooper in McCarran, so you can turn them in to get the Lucky Shades.

Stealth Boys own.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rutibex posted:

You could also become a citizen of Vault City, or join the Ghouls.

Those can hardly considered factions by New Vegas standards.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You don't, because their shop has much better things for sale and you cannot get those in any other way?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

actually if you kill the van graffs the gun runners start selling their poo poo because now energy weapon caravans aren't getting ~mysteriously~ raided.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I usually pick up the guns (with the physics engine) and drag them into the bathroom out of sight :v:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I got spotted by some generic powder ganger goon from behind with an active stealth boy while sneaking and he beelined exactly to my location and started attacking me. After that I just sold all of my stealth boys because they're garbage. True Story.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

SunAndSpring posted:

Drag their guns to the bathroom in the back out of the sight of the guards and then add them to your inventory?

Lol I forgot you could do that. That takes a while though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bholder posted:

Those can hardly considered factions by New Vegas standards.

Vault City is as much a faction as The Boomers or the Brotherhood in New Vegas. Becoming a citizen was quite a large task (if you didn't have absurd stats) and there where a ton of quests to do for them (some of which tied into New Reno, and NCR).

• Locked thread