Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bartlebyshop posted:

I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb here and say I like The Bridge of Khazad-Dum and the part where Aragorn leaves Lothlorien for the last time as my favourite sections.

yeah it's the best book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

euphronius posted:

yeah it's the best book.

The "Rohan had come at last" part is a strong contender too, though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Galadriel's rejection of the Ring has become my favorite scene, just as Galadriel has become my favorite character over the years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just as it's one of the most cartoonishly overwrought scenes in the movie.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Update: now that I am an adult and have read Medieval Literature, it is easier reading. I'm in a weird spot where i can sort of remember scenes from the movies, but not enough for it to ruin the experience

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Just as it's one of the most cartoonishly overwrought scenes in the movie.

I've made my opinion of that clear earlier ITT. They overpowered what would have been a great performance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bartlebyshop posted:

The "Rohan had come at last" part is a strong contender too, though.

The first half of the Fellowship is the most cheerful, but there are two points where if I'm paying any attention at all, I have to just put the book down for a few minutes: the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, and the moment when I first hear those great horns of the North, wildly blowing.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Ynglaur posted:

I've made my opinion of that clear earlier ITT. They overpowered what would have been a great performance.

Not sure I would say overpowered - but they didn't really explain to the audience what was going on so I remember a few of my friends asking "what was up with that bi-polar magical elf lady?" after the showing.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The first half of the Fellowship is the most cheerful, but there are two points where if I'm paying any attention at all, I have to just put the book down for a few minutes: the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, and the moment when I first hear those great horns of the North, wildly blowing.

My favorite bits are always moments of reflection/historical conversation. So Shadow of the Past and Council of Elrond are my favorite bits. I am a history nerd too though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

concerned mom posted:

The parts where Frodo and Sam are journeying before they meet up with anyone else are by far my favourite bits of the books.

I remember I liked whenever they're just walking through some desolate, depopulated rear end landscape.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thunder Moose posted:

Not sure I would say overpowered - but they didn't really explain to the audience what was going on so I remember a few of my friends asking "what was up with that bi-polar magical elf lady?" after the showing.

A lot of this is because The One Ring is not your typical doomsday plot device. It's not showy, it's not flashy, it does not immediately make you a badass who can wave his hand and destroy armies. As a literal embodiment of Sin, the most deadly thing about it is how insidiously unassuming it is. It's just a little ring, nothing to get worked up about.

This subtlety does not come across well in the film medium. I can't count how the number of times over the years where I've read people cracking jokes about how "useless" the One Ring is. "All it does is make you invisible!" How many times have we all heard that one?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 23, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "Samwise the Strong" bit would have helped in that regard. It's just a passing moment in the book, but it could have made for a great and memorable sequence of visuals that really drove home what it was that had put Boromir over the edge and nearly consumed Frodo.

It's curious that the Bakshi cartoon Return of the King included that element but Jackson skipped it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thunder Moose posted:

To be fair, unless the reader understands a bit about Galadriel's back story, the full meaning of the scene cannot be reasonably inferred by the text in FotR.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Galadriels back story was not public or known when those books were released as well. It was a total mystery.

Capopio
Feb 17, 2011
I think I read it in this thread that it is somehow possible to see the "original" Blanchett delivery of that wonderful monologue, perhaps as some behind the scenes extra/commentary in one of the many releases of the movie.
Is it so?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Data Graham posted:

The "Samwise the Strong" bit would have helped in that regard. It's just a passing moment in the book, but it could have made for a great and memorable sequence of visuals that really drove home what it was that had put Boromir over the edge and nearly consumed Frodo.

It's curious that the Bakshi cartoon Return of the King included that element but Jackson skipped it.

It was because of the short-cut Jackson took with regard to the Ring-that simply putting it on automatically sets off alarm bells in Barad-Dur. That's how the Nazgul tracked the Ring to Bree. So if you're going to establish that early on, you can't have Sam put on the Ring and somehow not get spotted by Sauron.

This had confused me earlier, but the way it was explained to me was that Sauron would spot you with the Ring if he happened to be looking at that location. To actually draw his attention, you have to actually try to wrest control of the Ring (which is what Frodo was doing at the Cracks of Doom).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If I recall, Samwise the Strong happened (both in the book and in Bakshi) when Sam just took hold of the Ring, and fantasized about wearing it; he didn't actually put it on at that time. Or am I misremembering?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A thing I notice every time I read LOTR is that in the movie, Peter Jackson made the elves weird, stoic jerks. In the books they're laughing and making jokes all the time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Probably a design decision to make them seem more otherworldly. That was definitely a feature in the books but our imagination is what really makes them seem that way. In film, you'd have to do something different hence the more "wise" attitude they adopt.

Not that the elves in LOTR had any loving personality anyway. If you want good, three-dimensional elves, your only choice is The Silmarillion. It's why I was able to read The Sil years before I could make it through the trilogy.

Also while it's an unpopular characterization choice, I feel Jackson's Jerkass Elrond works. Here these fuckers are, can float away in their boats to what is literally heaven on Earth, any time they drat well please. Men and Hobbits and dwarves and every other race of Middle-earth? Left to the mercy of Sauron. "Our people are leaving these shores" indeed.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Probably a design decision to make them seem more otherworldly. That was definitely a feature in the books but our imagination is what really makes them seem that way. In film, you'd have to do something different hence the more "wise" attitude they adopt.

Not that the elves in LOTR had any loving personality anyway. If you want good, three-dimensional elves, your only choice is The Silmarillion. It's why I was able to read The Sil years before I could make it through the trilogy.

Also while it's an unpopular characterization choice, I feel Jackson's Jerkass Elrond works. Here these fuckers are, can float away in their boats to what is literally heaven on Earth, any time they drat well please. Men and Hobbits and dwarves and every other race of Middle-earth? Left to the mercy of Sauron. "Our people are leaving these shores" indeed.

Elrond has also been fighting Sauron for like 6000 years at this point. He's sick of his poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ynglaur posted:

To be fair, unless the reader understands a bit about Galadriel's back story, the full meaning of the scene cannot be reasonably inferred by the text in FotR.
I didn't get the FULL meaning but I got the outline, which is 'great queen, ruler of her land, sorely tempted by the Ring-- but she chooses not to do that, and stay herself.'

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

A thing I notice every time I read LOTR is that in the movie, Peter Jackson made the elves weird, stoic jerks. In the books they're laughing and making jokes all the time

Meh. They are also stoic jerks.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

euphronius posted:

Meh. They are also stoic jerks.

Shut up mortal, elves own

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess the Teleri laugh.

Vanyar do not laugh.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Shut up mortal, elves own

I like elves, but I also like to hate elves. It is the great dilemma.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Dwarves itt.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Minor Nit-pick, but Return of the King was a Rankin/Bass cartoon.

Bakshi's Lord of the Rings has the rotoscoping and ends at Helm's Deep, if I recall correctly.

I thought both were pretty great when I was a wee one and it convinced me to read the books.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Dwarves itt.

The gender ratio is right at least.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ollu posted:

Minor Nit-pick, but Return of the King was a Rankin/Bass cartoon.

Bakshi's Lord of the Rings has the rotoscoping and ends at Helm's Deep, if I recall correctly.

I thought both were pretty great when I was a wee one and it convinced me to read the books.

Ah poo poo. Can't believe I did that. You know what I meant.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

It was because of the short-cut Jackson took with regard to the Ring-that simply putting it on automatically sets off alarm bells in Barad-Dur. That's how the Nazgul tracked the Ring to Bree. So if you're going to establish that early on, you can't have Sam put on the Ring and somehow not get spotted by Sauron.

This had confused me earlier, but the way it was explained to me was that Sauron would spot you with the Ring if he happened to be looking at that location. To actually draw his attention, you have to actually try to wrest control of the Ring (which is what Frodo was doing at the Cracks of Doom).

Data Graham posted:

If I recall, Samwise the Strong happened (both in the book and in Bakshi) when Sam just took hold of the Ring, and fantasized about wearing it; he didn't actually put it on at that time. Or am I misremembering?

I checked the book and Sam never wears the Ring inside the borders of Mordor, nor does Frodo until Mount Doom. Sam puts it on briefly just before crossing over and feels "the malice of the Eye of Mordor, searching, trying to pierce the shadows that it had made for its own defence, but which now hindered it in its unquiet and doubt". When he crosses into Mordor proper he takes it off, "moved it may be by some deep premonition of danger". A bit later he has his Samwise the Strong fantasy but doesn't actually put the Ring on, thinking that Sauron would spot him pretty quickly if he did so in Mordor. So the implication seems to be that Sauron would be able to tell if someone put on the Ring inside his borders, and might even be able sense the unworn Ring's presence if he wasn't so preoccupied with the war in the west. The Nazgul being drawn by the Ring is in the books as well, so it would make sense for Sauron to have a similar ability and over a longer distance. There's a bit just before Sam and Frodo reach the Cracks of Doom where they see just a brief glimpse of one of Barad-dur's topmost towers and they immediately sense the Eye, which makes Frodo involuntarily reach for the Ring and Sam thinks they've been caught, even though Sauron's attention is completely drawn to the Black Gate at that moment.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I concur.

quote:

He felt that he had from now on only two choices: to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows. Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing at his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong, Hero of the Age, striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dûr. And then all the clouds rolled away, and the white sun shone, and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.

In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that helped most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden, even if such visions were not a mere cheat to betray him. The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command.

"And anyway all these notions are only a trick," he said to himself.

Core of the whole novel, right there.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I concur.

Core of the whole novel, right there.

You could make a good case that it is the moral climax.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Re Frodo in Mordor

Listen to this

http://podbay.fm/show/320513707/e/1429367017?autostart=1

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BTW yes that is a podcast recording within the mmorpg LOTR. STFU it is very good.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

Vanyar do not laugh.

The ultimate teacher's pets.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

euphronius posted:

BTW yes that is a podcast recording within the mmorpg LOTR. STFU it is very good.

Is LOTRO actually good? I knew a guy who played it religiously but he was the type of guy to correct people's pronunciation of names even though he'd never read a Tolkien book

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Is LOTRO actually good? I knew a guy who played it religiously but he was the type of guy to correct people's pronunciation of names even though he'd never read a Tolkien book

Dont have time to play it sorry. I think the endgame is dead but the leveling is cool.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Lotro has a lot of cool details and things to look at/explore if you are a big nerd. There's no endgame or raiding and the servers are pretty dead but it's overall neat and you will probably enjoy at least looking at stuff even if you don't end up liking it enough to play. Playing it also really solidified my knowledge of Middle Earth geography but that's like a weird bonus.

Plus there's a whole series of quests where you turn into a chicken and have to run, defenseless, across Middle Earth to talk to other animals about all the weird poo poo going down in the Shire.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would love a Google Middle-Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Data Graham posted:

I would love a Google Middle-Earth.

Bringing back this ancient piece of web history.