Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Bholder posted:

The whole area is designed so you have to walk through multiple towns, following the footsteps of Benny, asking about his whereabouts. Sure you can go north, and face huge bugs and literal signs that tell you "TURN AROUND YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY".

That and how the NPCs just stand around do nothing but spew exposition and give quest.

And I'm not sure why everyone brings up factions that much since New Vegas is the only game that actually has anything to do with a faction system of any kind.

This is 100% correct and why New Vegas had a lovely world design. You were forced south in a donut shape through the game. Otherwise, you go north to the field of endless deathclaws, which is just about as close to an invisible wall as you can get without actually being an invisible wall, and if you do manage to pussy your way north, you miss out on half the story and are woefully underleveled and underequiped.

But of course the fanboys refuse to acknowledge this as terrible game design. You're fighting a losing battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Vault City is as much a faction as The Boomers or the Brotherhood in New Vegas. Becoming a citizen was quite a large task (if you didn't have absurd stats) and there where a ton of quests to do for them (some of which tied into New Reno, and NCR).

Becoming a citizen meant absolutely nothing other than they letting you inside their Vault (and I think you can get inside in a different way)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's really funny that Bethesda seems to have actually recognized that Fallout 3's story had flaws, but decided that the flaw was them not doing everything Bioware did.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bholder posted:

Becoming a citizen meant absolutely nothing other than they letting you inside their Vault (and I think you can get inside in a different way)

look at how wrong you are. there were tons of things to do both in the vault and as a citizen. iirc you got a unique motion sensing attachment for the pipboy that was only available if you did enough quests for the vault security team.

also you could jerk off into a cup and get paid to do so

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

It's really funny that Bethesda seems to have actually recognized that Fallout 3's story had flaws, but decided that the flaw was them not doing everything Bioware did.

Todd Howard says that the ending to Fallout 4 will be released at a later date, but possibly not for consoles because of how poorly the Oblivion DLC did in sales on the PS3.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

homeless poster posted:

look at how wrong you are. there were tons of things to do both in the vault and as a citizen. iirc you got a unique motion sensing attachment for the pipboy that was only available if you did enough quests for the vault security team.

Pretty sure you can work for security without becoming a citizen.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

This is 100% correct and why New Vegas had a lovely world design. You were forced south in a donut shape through the game. Otherwise, you go north to the field of endless deathclaws, which is just about as close to an invisible wall as you can get without actually being an invisible wall, and if you do manage to pussy your way north, you miss out on half the story and are woefully underleveled and underequiped.

But of course the fanboys refuse to acknowledge this as terrible game design. You're fighting a losing battle.

There is a path around further to the west that only runs you up against some wasps and a few spawns of mantis. When people say "You can go North" they don't mean straight through the Deathclaw infested quarry like a dipshit.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

There is a path around further to the west that only runs you up against some wasps and a few spawns of mantis. When people say "You can go North" they don't mean straight through the Deathclaw infested quarry like a dipshit.

Well of course, Cazadores are worse than deathclaws

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

My bad. You're right, dozens of flying poisonous deathclaws are much easier, especially at level 1.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

You can go northeast through Scorpion Gulch, or sneak around Black Mountain, and if you're a daring adventurer with a stout heart you can go through Primm Pass and face the blind deathclaw.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

My bad. You're right, dozens of flying poisonous deathclaws are much easier, especially at level 1.

I'm not a fan of wasps either, but they're not that bad. I always bypass the 'doughnut' through that route and I know for a fact it can be done with a pistol and some stimpacks.

lol 'flying poisonous deathclaws'

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Why are people so afraid to try to do any of these things? I don't understand. Hell, I've even done a game where I did the loop backwards, going north to New Vegas then down to 188, Novac, Nipton, and back to Primm.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

A Cazaclaw you say?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I'm not a fan of wasps either, but they're not that bad. I always bypass the 'doughnut' through that route and I know for a fact it can be done with a pistol and some stimpacks.

Uh-huh. Your dick so big...

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

JackBadass posted:

Umm... not only are deathclaws not poisonous, but they also can't fly. Just admit it: you've never played New Vegas in your life, have you?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homeless poster posted:

You are also no longer searched for drugs entering the city, making it easier to smuggle in Jet (yeah I know everyone just dropped it on the ground), and you can get yourself a "servant" (slave). You also get access to 3 new shops that are pretty decent for that point in the game.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 24, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

Uh-huh. Your dick so big...

I'm not bragging or calling you or anyone else bad at the game, you're just hyperbolic to ridiculous extremes when it comes to this poo poo for some dumb reason.

:shrug:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

As always, the Nexus provides.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

While I think its cool that you can sneak north to new vegas, it does seem kinda high risk for little benefit.

EDIT actually not even little benefit, it seems high risk and harmful.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Magmarashi posted:

I'm not bragging or calling you or anyone else bad at the game, you're just hyperbolic to ridiculous extremes when it comes to this poo poo for some dumb reason.

:shrug:

I just can't believe that the whole Favour of the Fire Ant Queen sidequest is locked behind an 90 Speech check that you have to pass the first time you enter the ant mound. What was Obsidian thinking?!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Get the gently caress out of here with this nightmare fuel

Man Whore posted:

While I think its cool that you can sneak north to new vegas, it does seem kinda high risk for little benefit.

Evidently it has something to do with dick size? :shrug:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Man Whore posted:

The best content is in the base game is in that bottom half of the map anyway. Going north immediately is only worthwhile for a low level Honest Hearts run.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Back on the sane topic of loving your robot butler, I really hope 'Weed' 'Goku' and 'Shitler' are recognizable names he can use.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Man Whore posted:

if you really want to min/max your dude the idea is you sent your INT to 9 and then hoof it to New Vegas Medical Clinic at level 1 and grab 4000 caps from somewhere in NV (likely stealing from Silver Rush) and then buy the +1 INT upgrade, so that you have 10 INT starting for level 2 and maximize the total number of skill points you can get over 50 levels.

you know, in the game where even with no DLC there are enough permanent skill books lying around to max out any/every skill anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Magmarashi posted:

Back on the sane topic of loving your robot butler, I really hope 'Weed' 'Goku' and 'Shitler' are recognizable names he can use.

That's stupid.

"Weedgoku" is one name.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

bonerlord bonghitler 420

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JackBadass posted:

By this definition every fallout other than 3 was terrible

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

By this definition every fallout other than 3 was terrible

I think that is what they are actually getting at. Mad world, huh?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

JackBadass posted:

if you do manage to pussy your way north, you miss out on half the story and are woefully underleveled and underequiped.

Why is this bad in New Vegas but perfectly okay in fallout 3?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fibby Boy posted:

It's because he has AIDS.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fibby Boy posted:

He's loving with you. He's on a whole other irony level.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pwnstar posted:

Umm I think you will find Three Dog was a Fallout 3 character, the guy in this game will be his identical twin brother Four Dog.
Your pooch is a professional DJ formerly owned by a radio personality in DC. He transmits out of your power armor garage under his on-air personality, "Three's Dog."

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

FauxGateau posted:

He's loving with you. He's on a whole other irony level.

I mean I figured as much but I had to be sure.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress three dog and everyone who likes him. I make a beeline to kill that fictional character because he's so bad.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

J-Spot posted:

The best content is in the base game is in that bottom half of the map anyway. Going north immediately is only worthwhile for a low level Honest Hearts run.

Sticking to the Cazador side nets you a shitload of fire-axes, which are a drat powerful melee weapon. Keep going and you'll hit Bonnie Springs, which has a .44 rifle, unique spiked knuckles, and reinforced metal armor waiting to be taken from a dude who spawns sitting down and ready to be sniped with your varmint rifle.

Go further and you'll hit Red Rock canyon, which nets you quests to get shitloads of drugs, a unique unarmed maneuver, a quest that makes Fiends non-hostile, and access to the Kahn armory, which is second only to Gun Runners for quality guns.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Going north early is useful because it opens up the entire northern half of the map early, and what you do with that is up to you. The ability to go basically anywhere you want from the Lucky 38, even back to the south, is useful enough.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SunAndSpring posted:

I love Bioware so hell, this is good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You miss out on remarkably little of the story if you don't follow Benny's trail, btw. The only bits that are like, properly part of the main story are a conversation with Nash, a conversation with Victor/Manny at Novac, and Boulder City. Everything else, like Come Fly With Me, Helios One, etc is stuff that you can easily do later.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I like bioware but when their righting is bad, then its real bad and probably fits 1 of 3 bioware writing cliches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Father Wendigo posted:

Sticking to the Cazador side nets you a shitload of fire-axes, which are a drat powerful melee weapon. Keep going and you'll hit Bonnie Springs, which has a .44 rifle, unique spiked knuckles, and reinforced metal armor waiting to be taken from a dude who spawns sitting down and ready to be sniped with your varmint rifle.

I think you can get Chance's Knife near the Cazador area too, which is the best melee weapon in the game for a long timoe.

• Locked thread