Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread, guys, but I have more Norse questions! I conquered Denmark pretty early on, granting me the title of King from the dude who had already created the title, but this has led me to a bit of stalling out... It seems my subjugate CB has disappeared. Is this because I have a title as King, or could the previous king of Denmark have reformed the faith, which transfers to me after my conquest?

I'd really like to conquer the poo poo out of Sweden, but the lack of subjugation would make it an incredibly slow and arduous task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Pretty sure you can only subjugate a kingdom when you yourself are not a king.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Isn't subjugating a kingdom a once per lifetime thing?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Angela Christine posted:

Isn't subjugating a kingdom a once per lifetime thing?

For Pagans? Most of the time yes, but if you take the "Become King of X" ambition, you have unlimited use of it within the de jure kingdom in question.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gin_Rummy posted:

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread, guys, but I have more Norse questions! I conquered Denmark pretty early on, granting me the title of King from the dude who had already created the title, but this has led me to a bit of stalling out... It seems my subjugate CB has disappeared. Is this because I have a title as King, or could the previous king of Denmark have reformed the faith, which transfers to me after my conquest?

I'd really like to conquer the poo poo out of Sweden, but the lack of subjugation would make it an incredibly slow and arduous task.

You only get to use Subjugate once per character unless your ambition is to become a King(which it can't be, since you are one).

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

You only get to use Subjugate once per character unless your ambition is to become a King(which it can't be, since you are one).

Yeah, I just realized this is exactly the problem. I had forgotten that the ambition came with the unlimited subjugation perk. :/

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
So, I'm trying to make a little mod that makes it so that the Christian holy orders don't just spawn all at once in a big pile the very second the crusades start, and since I know absolutely nothing about modding CKII beyond making new flags I decided to start out simple and simply make it so that their founding events fire when certain counties are under control of Christians after the crusades start(Templar, Hospitallers when Jerusalem is taken, Santiago when Santiago is taken, ect.). So here's the code I've got so far, keep in mind I don't know poo poo about coding so this is just me copy and pasting some code a dude in the Paradox forums suggested, this is the Formation of the Templar event:
code:
# Formation of the Knights Templar
narrative_event = {
	id = 39101
	title = "EVTNAME39101"
	desc = "EVTDESC39101"
	picture = "GFX_evt_crusaders"
	border = "GFX_event_narrative_frame_religion"

major = yes
	only_playable = yes
	only_men = yes
	religion_group = christian

trigger = {
		OR = {
			religion = catholic
			religion = cathar
			religion = fraticelli
			religion = waldensian
			religion = lollard
		}
		is_heretic = no

NOT = { year = 1312 }
		NOT = { is_title_active = d_knights_templar }

has_global_flag = christian_crusades_unlocked

AND = {
	c_jerusalem = { # Jerusalem's holder is of the non-heretic western Christian faith
			holder_scope = {
				religion = ROOT
				}
			}

AND = {
	c_jerusalem = { # Jerusalem's holder's top liege is of the non-heretic western Christian faith
	holder_scope = {
		top_liege ={
		  religion = ROOT
       		}
	}
	}	

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 4
	}

immediate = {
		activate_title = { title = d_knights_templar status = yes }
		create_random_soldier = {
			dynasty = none
			random_traits = yes
			religion = ROOT
		}
		new_character = {
			d_knights_templar = {
				grant_title = PREV
			}
			set_defacto_liege = THIS
			wealth = 600
		}

religion_authority = {
			modifier = religious_order_formed
			years = 10
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA39101"
		trigger = {
			religion = ROOT
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB39101"
		trigger = {
			NOT = { religion_group = christian }
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTC39100"
		trigger = {
			religion_group = christian
			NOT = { religion = ROOT }
		}
	}
}
Now it triggers when Christians take Jerusalem, and the normal dialogue "Poor Knights of blah blah" with the dialogue box to close it like normal, but it also pops up a bunch of duplicates with no dialogue box so they can't be closed.
Keep in mind the only thing I've changed from vanilla is replacing the OR = 'the byzantine empire is falling down' with the two AND =. So what am I doing wrong? Is it my syntax? I feel like I'm trying to put together some crazy ten thousand piece ikea furniture without an instruction manual.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Groogy posted:

All female rulers can lead their own armies since 2.4, made a lot of people angry because of reason: "We are going to see female commanders fuckin everywhere! Damned skeleton's ruining our game!"
Congrats you're the first person that have actually seen a Female army leader without player involvement (and I even include QA + Beta's in that and I haven't seen anyone point it out anywhere else)

please add a random event that just flips catholicism to cathar and makes absolute cognatic the law of the continent

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OhGreatAGinger posted:

code:
		AND = {
	c_jerusalem = { # Jerusalem's holder is of the non-heretic western Christian faith
			holder_scope = {
				religion = ROOT
				}
			}

AND = {
	c_jerusalem = { # Jerusalem's holder's top liege is of the non-heretic western Christian faith
	holder_scope = {
		top_liege ={
		  religion = ROOT
       		}
	}
	}	

Your formatting is making it difficult to read, but it looks like you have mismatched brackets.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MoreLikeTen posted:

please add a random event that just flips catholicism to cathar and makes absolute cognatic the law of the continent

I think cognatic should be an option for all religions and I actually mod the game to allow it.

CK2 makes it possible to do all kinds of a-historical things anyway (and that's a great part of the fun to me), so why not this?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I saw that a Byzantine Empress died in battle in my game but assumed that it was a bug.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think cognatic should be an option for all religions and I actually mod the game to allow it.

CK2 makes it possible to do all kinds of a-historical things anyway (and that's a great part of the fun to me), so why not this?

I think it kind of makes sense that it's not available as a default option, but I like the ideas some mods have where ambitious female rulers can set it. You still kind of have to work for it, which still feels historically accurate because women COULD achieve power in that era, but cultural forces were generally aligned against them.

Actually I don't know if a mod for this exists already but another interesting thing could be to create a new "gender egalitarian" trait. Men with the trait wouldn't get the "female heir" or "female ruler" opinion penalty, and male rulers with the trait could set abs cog inheritance law. They could get the trait as an event if they're educated by a woman, or by a man who has the trait themselves. Plus maybe some other random events could grant it to people if their liege is female and is a generally good ruler (represented by high stats, traits like just or kind, etc.)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Started an Amalfi game in the Charlemagne start, and the Kazars just subjugated the Byzantine Empire, revoked Constantinople, and settled as the new Emperors :psyduck:

Edit: He wants to be my buddy

Tehan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 24, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tehan posted:

Started an Amalfi game in the Charlemagne start, and the Kazars just subjugated the Byzantine Empire, revoked Constantinople, and settled as the new Emperors :psyduck:

Edit: He wants to be my buddy

Literally every Charlemagne start I've had since Horse Lords has resulted in a Tengri Kazar settling as Byzantine emperor.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it kind of makes sense that it's not available as a default option, but I like the ideas some mods have where ambitious female rulers can set it. You still kind of have to work for it, which still feels historically accurate because women COULD achieve power in that era, but cultural forces were generally aligned against them.

Actually I don't know if a mod for this exists already but another interesting thing could be to create a new "gender egalitarian" trait. Men with the trait wouldn't get the "female heir" or "female ruler" opinion penalty, and male rulers with the trait could set abs cog inheritance law. They could get the trait as an event if they're educated by a woman, or by a man who has the trait themselves. Plus maybe some other random events could grant it to people if their liege is female and is a generally good ruler (represented by high stats, traits like just or kind, etc.)

Yeah, I once had planned a mod where a number of conditions would allow special decisions which would rise a hidden "egalitarian" law.

Something like this:

1- having a female ruler for more than 10 years allows the decision for "low egalitarian", which allows cognatic
2- having at least 30% of your vassals to be woman allows the decision which will raise it to "medium egalitarian, which will allow females to be council members
3- ?

But I dont even know if that's really possible and :effort:

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 25, 2015

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

ZombieLenin posted:

Literally every Charlemagne start I've had since Horse Lords has resulted in a Tengri Kazar settling as Byzantine emperor.

That's still better than the stupid Magyar Poland to Khazaria empire I keep seeing all the time.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Every time there's a new religion or government expansion, the religion or government featured will be overpowered at release (i.e. Merchant Republics, Muslims, Norse, etc). The Nomads will probably chill after a few patches.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Khazar Emperor update: I adopted Khazar culture so I could raid, and while I was raiding Venice he gave me vassalship over a coastal Croatian count. I think he approves.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ZombieLenin posted:

that iconoclast bullshit they've got percolating really messes with their ability to raise respectable levies, i think

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Rome shall perish into the oblivion as I slowly kill the joy of everyone who loves it..... *sinister laugh*
No not really though wasn't me this time.

You are so going to have to write the Rome II -> CKII converter app. :agesilaus:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Is it just me, or is conquering england as william the bastard at the Stamford Bridge bookmark really hard?

I've started it up 3 or 4 times, and every time before I can get above 30% or so war score, the king of france joins england's war against Harald, and that cancels my war.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fintilgin posted:

You are so going to have to write the Rome II -> CKII converter app. :agesilaus:

Rome II featuring Rome/Some other Mediterranean power building up, dominating the world, and then getting absolutely crushed by the Huns, the Goths, the various other Germanic migrations, and the rise of Islam would be awesome.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Khazar Byzantine Emperor update: He's converted to Sunni and about 90% of the dukes flipped with him. Someone on the Paradox forums is crying and does not know why.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I was disappointed that Chief Qadi was not integrated into the new honorary titles.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Finally get an achievment run for Saoshyant off the ground. Before my first ruler dies I get demon spawn. Not sure whether this is terrible or awesome. Well its definitely awesome. Just not sure if this run will survive the demon-messiah :kheldragar:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Rome II featuring Rome/Some other Mediterranean power building up, dominating the world, and then getting absolutely crushed by the Huns, the Goths, the various other Germanic migrations, and the rise of Islam would be awesome.

It truly would be wonderful if this could be pulled off solely in Paradox games, rather than the current alternative.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Paradox won't ever officially cover the rise of Islam and looking at their forums you can't blame them one bit.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Slight problem when you go all out with the pillaging, the chance for rebels skyrockets.
Each rebel insurrection you crush gives you +1% MA for 10 years, I have +45% right now and they just.keep.coming.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tehan posted:

Khazar Byzantine Emperor update: He's converted to Sunni and about 90% of the dukes flipped with him. Someone on the Paradox forums is crying and does not know why.
In my first game I had the emperor go lunatic, convert to Hungarian and Tengri, replace every viceroy with Hungarian Tengrists in the space of a few years, and then use the invasion CB to reclaim Sicily. It's like he woke up one day and decided to start the pre-Horse Lords Mongol invasions a few hundred years early.

Since then successive emperors have invaded Italy, Armenia, Georgia, and Cumania. Nobody can even slow them down.

EDIT: Aaaaand it's over. A slow emperor got murdered by his wife after their first daughter, who was assigned her genius Sunni uncle as tutor. Almost instantly she goes Sunni and the empire is an iqta now.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 25, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

Paradox won't ever officially cover the rise of Islam and looking at their forums you can't blame them one bit.

And that's why there's me. :v:

I just got my culture files redone for the latest patch. Still can't the loving thing to load. Do I need to make folders for things even if I don't edit them or something? Like I'm at a loss as to why it keeps crashing on "loading flags" when I have no flags or gfx.

EDIT: I'm about to restart from scratch for the fourth loving time if I have to.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 25, 2015

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

SeaTard posted:

Your formatting is making it difficult to read, but it looks like you have mismatched brackets.

But... but... how do I fix it?:ohdear:

But seriously I don't know anything about these strange 'brackets'. Is there a good beginner's tutorial out there somewhere that focuses on CKII's basic language? There's some stuff on the official forums but I can't find anything that describes what '{' does and where I'm supposed to put it for example.

OhGreatAGinger fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 25, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

OhGreatAGinger posted:

But... but... how do I fix it?:ohdear:
Add a bracket to close both of those ANDs.

Are you using a text editor made for code, like Notepad++? In those if you place the cursor next to a bracket it'll highlight the matching one. Makes it much easier to spot problems like this.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Every "{" should have a matching "}" to make them work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

In my first game I had the emperor go lunatic, convert to Hungarian and Tengri, replace every viceroy with Hungarian Tengrists in the space of a few years, and then use the invasion CB to reclaim Sicily. It's like he woke up one day and decided to start the pre-Horse Lords Mongol invasions a few hundred years early.

Since then successive emperors have invaded Italy, Armenia, Georgia, and Cumania. Nobody can even slow them down.

EDIT: Aaaaand it's over. A slow emperor got murdered by his wife after their first daughter, who was assigned her genius Sunni uncle as tutor. Almost instantly she goes Sunni and the empire is an iqta now.

Can the AI take the "recreate the roman empire" decision? Sounds like they're on their way in your game.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My ck2 exports arent showing up in the eu4 launcher, anyone know why?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Porkface posted:

My ck2 exports arent showing up in the eu4 launcher, anyone know why?
are they in the right directory? i think i read on the steam forums that some people had them popping up in the wrong place

edit: here, i think that idiot is trying to say something relevant. i havent converted in ages so i wouldnt know, but maybe you can make sense of his word salad

edit 2: so I did a super lazy, super quick test just now, and in my case the export file started off in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\eu4_export\mod and EU4 was only able to parse it when I dumped the Converted_<whatever> directory and .mod file into ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Europa Universalis IV\mod. I don't believe EU4 noticed it when I placed the stuff in the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mods directory, so if you're throwing it in there, that might be causing you grief

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 25, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Sindai posted:

Are you using a text editor made for code, like Notepad++? In those if you place the cursor next to a bracket it'll highlight the matching one. Makes it much easier to spot problems like this.
Basically this. Get Notepad++, install a custom language for automatic syntax highlighting and ability for code folding (and don't forget to switch it one from the language menu)

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Sindai posted:

Holy crap, I've been using notepad++ this entire time and I've never noticed that, and of course, it works! Many thanks oh people of the functional ocular organs!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is it just me, or is conquering england as william the bastard at the Stamford Bridge bookmark really hard?

I've started it up 3 or 4 times, and every time before I can get above 30% or so war score, the king of france joins england's war against Harald, and that cancels my war.

It's been a looooooonnnnggg time, but I found it pretty easy as long as you manage the war right. I took loans (expelling Jews mechanic makes this even better,) and then waited for the Saxons and the Norwegians to beat themselves up, then sailed in and killed the winner.

Then just siege out England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Can the AI take the "recreate the roman empire" decision? Sounds like they're on their way in your game.

You have to be Christian if i remember right.

• Locked thread