Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Check out the "That which sleeps" thread for fantasy strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dreamsicle posted:

How would you simulate the fuckload of missiles Mobius/Blaze/Cipher gets in the game?

The ace pilot is actually 50 different planes. That explains the amount of firepower and survivability.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shitbreak posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread for recommendations, but Im looking for a complex strategy game in either a fantasy setting or an ancient (greece, rome etc) setting. I havent really played any die-hard strategy games like the ones discussed in this thread before.
I absolutely love Crusader Kings 2, and generally tend to favor games with an empire-management focus rather than pure battle focus. Any and all recommendations would be much appreciated!

Sovereignty is a turn based fantasy empire management game in early access on Steam. A bit generic but has some cool ideas. http://store.steampowered.com/app/312430/.

Otherwise if you like CK2, you should be playing EU4 and Victoria 2.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Shitbreak posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread for recommendations, but Im looking for a complex strategy game in either a fantasy setting or an ancient (greece, rome etc) setting. I havent really played any die-hard strategy games like the ones discussed in this thread before.
I absolutely love Crusader Kings 2, and generally tend to favor games with an empire-management focus rather than pure battle focus. Any and all recommendations would be much appreciated!

Dominions http://store.steampowered.com/app/259060/

This is a bad recommendation, but on matrix http://www.matrixgames.com/products/299/details/Gates.of.Troy and it can be combined with the game Spartan also on that site. They are a bit of a chore to get working on a modern system but I really liked the games. Very hard but a very authentic ancient greek setting and you can do everything from ancient greece to alex to rome. Combat is very hands off and abstracted, you basically just set up your line and hit go and can't control anything. So I liked it but is it worth 20 dollars in this day and age with all it's issues? Probably not. Hell that's a tailgate special at bojangles.

Also these are deffo not what you are looking for but over at gog.com they have stuff like Zeus which is a city builder and Great Battles of Alexander which is pure battle focus. Plus lots of old fantasy strategy games.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
GMG has a few of the Graviteam DLC packs on sale for $3 if you have the base game http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=graviteam+tactics&price=0-5#b

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Dominions is pretty much what you want EXCEPT it's main focus is on battles, not on the empire building.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shitbreak posted:

If you want Ancient Rome/Greece I would recommend Alea Jacta Est or Field of Glory but those are both almost entirely (100% in the latter) about battles rather than building an empire. You'll also probably hate Alea Jacta Est coming from CK2.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Depending on how you define "complex strategy game," there's Caesar 3 and Zeus: Master of Olympus, but they're both more city-builders than empire-managers.

There's also the Hegemony series by Longbow Games, but while there are non-combat and empire-management elements those basically all serve the grand strategic campaigns, with cities being primarily sources of supplies and funds and so on.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Dominions is pretty much what you want EXCEPT it's main focus is on battles, not on the empire building.

I dunno I disagree obviously the game is so vast there are nations where you really aren't dealing with a lot of troops and stuff like that. At the end of the day though blood economies are pretty much 100 percent straight guns vs butter. Slaves vs unrest vs taxes!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I think there's plenty of empire building, planning, and management to be done, but the meat and potatoes is purely designing your pretender. And then combat. As a comparison to a Paradox title it's nothing like one.

There are plenty of mods made and being made for CK2/EUIV. Warhammer, Warcraft, GoT, other poo poo. It might be what you're looking for in the long run.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Shitbreak posted:

Have you played Age of Wonders? I would try 1 or 2.

E: or Fallen Enchantress

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 23, 2015

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

In an effort to understand WitE better I set out to write some tutorials. I've got a handful up now, curious as to your guys thoughts, and any other topics you think are worth covering.

War in the East Tutorials

I plan on covering supply basics, soft factors, air basics, and basic strategies. The goal isn't to make an expert, but to help people wade through the game bit by bit.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Oh another strategy fantasy thing worth a look is the civ 4 mod fall from heaven 2

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jakse I have conceded our DC game. Two turns of learning surprising things about how supply works on that map mean you are about to collapse at least two of the three army groups I have and I don't think there's any recovery from that.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Alchenar posted:

Jakse I have conceded our DC game. Two turns of learning surprising things about how supply works on that map mean you are about to collapse at least two of the three army groups I have and I don't think there's any recovery from that.

What was the issue? Except Stalingrad just last turn, I don't think I cut any important rail lines and only just looked up how to bomb bridges.

Good game though, you made my overextended panders pay on multiple occasions.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chump Farts posted:

What was the issue? Except Stalingrad just last turn, I don't think I cut any important rail lines and only just looked up how to bomb bridges.

Good game though, you made my overextended panders pay on multiple occasions.

In the North you put enough attrition on 5th Tank Army to make it disintegrate and that meant inevitably pinning all of the infantry I had there against the top of the map. In the South it turns out that once you cut off the rail link from Stalingrad everything on the same latitude as Rostov is suddenly out of supply - you were knocking me back anyway but suddenly I wasn't even able to run.

Basically I was two-three turns away from losing everything. Lessons learned - I was unnecessarily aggressive around Stalingrad and should have just held the city and the river line, I should have just kept running in the North, and I should have been better prepared to fall back in the South when the time came.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

In the North you put enough attrition on 5th Tank Army to make it disintegrate and that meant inevitably pinning all of the infantry I had there against the top of the map. In the South it turns out that once you cut off the rail link from Stalingrad everything on the same latitude as Rostov is suddenly out of supply - you were knocking me back anyway but suddenly I wasn't even able to run.

Basically I was two-three turns away from losing everything. Lessons learned - I was unnecessarily aggressive around Stalingrad and should have just held the city and the river line, I should have just kept running in the North, and I should have been better prepared to fall back in the South when the time came.

Did you open the supply center in Tsibili? That may have helped your Caucasian Armies. I also had to keep pressure on 5TA or it could have turned South and sliced all of 6th Army off until my axis minors finally got in place.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Figured this was the best place to ask: what are the chances of running CMANO at anything approaching a reasonable rate on my old system? I'm stuck with Windows XP, Intel 2.66 ghz dual core and 2.72 gb of ram. Not a gaming machine at all, but it runs Distant Worlds and all the most recent Paradox franchises just fine. Will CMANO run fine, or should I just stick to trying Rule the Waves next?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't think you would have a very good time with Command with those specs; but I think smaller scenarios would be playable. no 4000 unit WWIII sims for you!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

What sort of new Grog stuff is coming down the pipe? I don't see much for previews anywhere. HOI4 is the only big one I'm aware of.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yooper posted:

What sort of new Grog stuff is coming down the pipe? I don't see much for previews anywhere. HOI4 is the only big one I'm aware of.

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.

There's a remake of Steel Panthers coming but literally no screens of it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yooper posted:

There's a new Close Combat and also a Pike and Shot expansion adding in campaigns.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

This could be amazing, and well-timed since the Shrapnel winSPMBT/SPWW2 guys have squeezed everything possible out of the old engine. (also one of them nearly died recently!!!)
A Steel Panthers game with non-dogshit AI....:shepspends:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

This could be amazing, and well-timed since the Shrapnel winSPMBT/SPWW2 guys have squeezed everything possible out of the old engine. (also one of them nearly died recently!!!)
A Steel Panthers game with non-dogshit AI....:shepspends:

Ha you think there will be AI.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Ha you think there will be AI.
I will have to settle for a non-PBEM multiplayer then. :negative:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

So excited for DC3. The improvements in DC2 were really nice and make it feel like a campaign, rather than just a long battle.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Alchenar posted:

Oooooooh.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Alchenar posted:

DC Barbarossa eh? I've seen some mods for the current one, but that sounds pretty cool. Someone was bantering about WitE V2.0, but I have no idea if it was bullshit, a wish, or a combination of both.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm really sad that's it's just Barbarossa though and not the whole war.

I prefer playing the Russians to another :siren: GERMAN BLITZ :siren: game.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

DC2 was nice with that, having the trappenjagd and uranus.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

I want a whole game dedicated to the Japan-Soviet border conflicts. Just a bunch of hilariously one sided bullshit operations that make no sense loosely tied together over the course of 1932-1945.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
There is also combat mission bulge followed by expansion packs for italy, black sea, and red thunder, and a scenario pack for normandy coming out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yooper posted:

DC Barbarossa eh? I've seen some mods for the current one, but that sounds pretty cool. Someone was bantering about WitE V2.0, but I have no idea if it was bullshit, a wish, or a combination of both.

IIRC the plan is that now WitW is out, the Grigsby guys are gonna remake WitE, and then work on combining the two games into one general title.

Probably 6 years from now of course.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Fintilgin posted:

Well the guy seems to have a blind spot in terms of soviet operations but there were at least two really strong soviet counter attacks in 41 that really checked the germans, one around lake ilmen and the other at smolensk so it is possible.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

dtkozl posted:

Well the guy seems to have a blind spot in terms of soviet operations but there were at least two really strong soviet counter attacks in 41 that really checked the germans, one around lake ilmen and the other at smolensk so it is possible.

Don't forget Krasnogvardeysk where 5 KV-1s ambushed a group of German tanks and destroyed 43 of them while taking no losses of their own.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That hardly counts on an operational level though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drone posted:

IIRC the plan is that now WitW is out, the Grigsby guys are gonna remake WitE, and then work on combining the two games into one general title.

Probably 6 years from now of course.

Man, how do you even remake a monster like that? I've heard good things about the WitW air battle mode, so I guess revamping the one in WitE would be nice. As it is right now I leave it alone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drone posted:

Probably 60 years from now of course.

Fixed

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

You can do war crimes in this one though :hitler:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Well it appears that I have been defeated by Chump Farts in Commander: The Great War. I could not get the damned Allied war machine going strong enough before the end of 1918.

I was confused about when it would end though. At the bottom of the screen it said there were 60 turns, and the game was nowhere near that point when it ended.

That was a fun game nonetheless. I managed to encircle and pocket the bulk of the Ottoman army in Palestine, and I launched a failed Gallipoli Part Two. I suppose if I wanted to win though, I should have ignored the Ottomans entirely.