Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

redbackground posted:

I've only made my way down about 10 characters, but uh, sounds as if Mortal Kombat 4 was Not Very Good.

Remember in the mid-90's when every game company figured that polygons was the way to go and that every tried and true 2D franchise needed to evolve into 3D no matter how ill-equipped they were because Nintendo was able to pull it off? That's Mortal Kombat 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gavok posted:

Remember in the mid-90's when every game company figured that polygons was the way to go and that every tried and true 2D franchise needed to evolve into 3D no matter how ill-equipped they were because Nintendo was able to pull it off? That's Mortal Kombat 4.

The people behind Sonic the Hedgehog are still at this point 20 years later interestingly enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sonic's the notorious one but the one that always springs to my mind when people talk about the polygon ceiling is Earthworm Jim 3D. :smith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not Bubsy?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sonic's the notorious one but the one that always springs to my mind when people talk about the polygon ceiling is Earthworm Jim 3D. :smith:

That's exactly what was going through my head when making that description. That and Castlevania and Bubsy.

At least Sonic had the Dreamcast games.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gavok posted:

...aaaaand? Maybe go back and take another look at those games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I still think MK4 was less of a disaster than some of the PS2-era games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

That's exactly what was going through my head when making that description. That and Castlevania and Bubsy.

Two of the three 3d Castlevania games were actually good, just not great. Two of Four if you count the n64 games as two different ones instead of one and an expansion pack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Two of the three 3d Castlevania games were actually good, just not great. Two of Four if you count the n64 games as two different ones instead of one and an expansion pack.

I can't actually figure out which ones you mean because even at the minimum there were five 3D Castlevanias.

Castlevania 64, LoI, CoD, LoS and LoS2.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I will totally cop to forgetting Lord of Shadows even existed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

I will totally cop to forgetting Lord of Shadows even existed.

I honestly assumed you'd remembered that and forgot the PS2 ones!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I am the world's biggest Curse of Darkness fan, I just never picked up the most recent games for p. obvious reasons.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Theyre not still making terrible 3d bubsy or earthworm jim games, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll be honest, I like Lord of Shadows 1 and 2 (and the PC/DS 2d one which is pretty cool as it's much more like the older games) but mostly for how dumb they are and how hammy most of the actors go. And how the Belmonts are suddenly Scottish (and cast correctly for that. All Scots dudes, not Americans/Canadians doing bad accents, which is neat)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

It'll probably be easy to pitch since there's never been a show like that before.

Also I haven't thought about Barry Ween in years but just today found some issues in a quarter bin and just learned that.

Eh, it's Dexter's lab with profanity.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Starsnostars posted:

Nah that guy's list was solid with Cole so low down and best series Time Force's Wes and Eric high up the list.

Gavok posted:

Busby was never good and honestly, Sonic Adventure is a mess. An ambitious mess, but a mess. Sonic Adventure 2 was better, though, and Sonic Heroes is underrated.

When I think of good 3D Sonic, I think of the Sonic R soundtrack.

Rhyno posted:

Eh, it's Dexter's lab with profanity.

So, that one episode of Dexter's Lab?

Man, that was such a letdown.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 25, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WickedHate posted:

Busby was never good and honestly, Sonic Adventure is a mess. An ambitious mess, but a mess.

A popular Let's Play group had regularly had arguments about whether or not Sonic Adventure holds up, then they replayed it, and one of them's mind got shattered by how bad it is and how his brain had embellished the memories over time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

A popular Let's Play group had regularly had arguments about whether or not Sonic Adventure holds up, then they replayed it, and one of them's mind got shattered by how bad it is and how his brain had embellished the memories over time.

Game Grumps started doing Sonic Adventure too recently and it's pretty much the best thing ever.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 25, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Not Bubsy?

I never played any of the Bubsy games. Which is surprising because it probably would've fit into the sort of progression of games I was into: Sonic on Mega Drive; Earthworm Jim on PC; Super Mario Bros on GBC; Crash Bandicoot and Spyro on PS1; Ratchet and Clank on PS2.

I don't really play many games very more. The few I do are all on Steam.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gavok posted:

I was a big Mortal Kombat fan since Mortal Monday, but that turd killed all interest I had in the series. That and the death of arcades helped.

That article is a good read, but my IPhone5 refuses to load the links to the other pages.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wrong thread

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
I recently started reading the Uncanny X-Men from #1 and to my surprise I really like it.

It got me thinking I've always liked the X-Men but there's massive gaps in what I've read of them.
So I thought I'm already at the start why not just keep reading till the modern day?
I know this is a path to madness but gently caress it I'll give it a go.

So is there a good reading list out there for the X-Men and all it's spin-off series' and the one offs and the flashbacks?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I recently started reading the Uncanny X-Men from #1 and to my surprise I really like it.

It got me thinking I've always liked the X-Men but there's massive gaps in what I've read of them.
So I thought I'm already at the start why not just keep reading till the modern day?

So is there a good reading list out there for the X-Men and all it's spin-off series' and the one offs and the flashbacks?

If you're doing it through Unlimited it won't work as they barely have any of the New Mutants or X-Factor, and there are significant gaps in UXM as well.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I'm fond of this one. http://www.comicbookherald.com/chris-claremont-era-x-men-reading-order-guide/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I don't have a good list for you, but I think UncannyXMen.net can help.
http://uncannyxmen.net/continuity/x-men-primer

Rachel and Miles are going through the X-Men more or less in order. You can go through their archive and see how they are organizing things. Though they will be skipping large chunks once the line splits into a dozen titles.
http://www.rachelandmiles.com/xmen/

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ cheers guys.
It was listening to the Rachel & Miles podcast that had me read the first issues in the first place.

zoux posted:

If you're doing it through Unlimited it won't work as they barely have any of the New Mutants or X-Factor, and there are significant gaps in UXM as well.

That's a bit of a downer, especially since the fact that I haven't read any New Mutants or original X-Factor was a big part in me thinking about just this daft idea in the first place.

But to be honest I'm at the rate I'm going I won't be a the 80's for a year or two. So I can live in hope that they'll be up by then. (Hopefully)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

^ cheers guys.
It was listening to the Rachel & Miles podcast that had me read the first issues in the first place.

That's a bit of a downer, especially since the fact that I haven't read any New Mutants or original X-Factor was a big part in me thinking about just this daft idea in the first place.

But to be honest I'm at the rate I'm going I won't be a the 80's for a year or two. So I can live in hope that they'll be up by then. (Hopefully)

They won't.

I originally wanted to do the same thing as you but:
1)they weren't on MU
2) I actually cannot stand old comics dialogue.

I ended up starting with Morrison's New X-men and then reading every X-book published from that point on because they have more or less everything after 2000.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ There a reason why there's little to no chance of New Mutants/X-factor turning up or is Marvel just not bothered about them?

I'm not a massive fan of 60's/70's comics dialogue in general but foe some reason these have grabbed me.
It might just be the old style wackiness but I'm really liking them, even if professor X can be a massive cock most of the time and Magneto is like something out of the 60's Batman show.

Morrison's X-Men is pretty much where I started with the X-Men comics. I'm from the UK and didn't really get into "superhero" comics until I was fifteen and started picking stuff up from my city's comic book shop at mostly random and luckily for me that was during the Morrison run.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 30, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

They won't.

I originally wanted to do the same thing as you but:
1)they weren't on MU
2) I actually cannot stand old comics dialogue.

I ended up starting with Morrison's New X-men and then reading every X-book published from that point on because they have more or less everything after 2000.

Assuming they haven't been lost to time I bet they'll show up eventually.

I would recommend at least going back and reading Claremont's Uncanny X-Men if you can get past the purple prose, more than probably any other book it defined the DNA (no pun intended) of X books for the next 3 decades.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skwirl posted:

I would recommend at least going back and reading Claremont's Uncanny X-Men if you can get past the purple prose, more than probably any other book it defined the DNA (no pun intended) of X books for the next 3 decades.
If nothing else, the Dark Phoenix Saga. Wolverine's moment in the sewers beneath the Hellfire Club was revelatory to read after a lifetime of him being, y'know, Wolverine -- to see the instant where he earns all his cred forever in one perfect splash page, it was really astounding.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bronze Age wordiness has never really put me off. It's just the way comics were, and they usually managed to fit in a lot of story in each issue for all the words. I get why some readers don't like it, but for me it's not really a big deal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bang, you're dead, from my teke that can smash mountains, or my psychic knife, which is the focused totality of my telekenesis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Bang, you're dead, from my teke that can smash mountains, or my psychic knife, which is the focused totality of my telekenesis. psychic power.

It's like you've never even read Claremont.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

quote:

Avenger’s Annual 10. Rogues first appearance. This is a must-read. You will never understand Rogue if you don’t read this. Seriously.
lol calm down with the hyperbole, X-Men Reading List. I don't think Rogue even speaks in Avengers Annual 10.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Not just to the X-Men, but Claremont's X-run is super influential to comics as a whole. It's one of the runs that changed how things were done in the business.

And hey if you're too lazy to read it you can just check out my stupid tumblr: http://www.theclaremontyears.tumblr.com

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Don't read a stupid tumblr, the actual issues are great if you can get past the often stilted dialogue.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Don't read a stupid tumblr, the actual issues are great if you can get past the often stilted dialogue.

Hey now, he can do both.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
After about the 3rd issue or so of Claremont's X-Men I developed a talent for just skipping past the dialogue that was merely plot recaps or explanations of how someone's powers worked, it reads a lot more briskly at that point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It becomes like "THWIPP" at a certain point. You know what it says, and you just slide on past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

After about the 3rd issue or so of Claremont's X-Men I developed a talent for just skipping past the dialogue that was merely plot recaps or explanations of how someone's powers worked, it reads a lot more briskly at that point.

He'll change his tune once he sees my unbreakable adamantium claws which slice through anything like paper.