Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I have an old last-gen PowerBook that lacks a DVD drive. Is it possible to install Ubuntu on it otherwise? It can't boot off USB but I can out it in target disk mode and have it show up on my other Mac as a FireWire drive. I've been looking online but haven't had any luck finding a tutorial for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That means G4 Powerbook right? Any reason you can't use an USB CD drive?

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

evol262 posted:

Networkmanager isn't involved in NFS mounting. Are you sure this isn't a red herring?
Quite. Without NFS mounts in fstab, systemd-analyze blame shows:
code:
           849ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
           849ms dev-mapper-fedora_client\x2droot.device
           782ms systemd-udev-settle.service
           528ms lvm2-monitor.service
           518ms libvirtd.service
           454ms plymouth-start.service
           420ms firewalld.service
           322ms dnf-makecache.service
           285ms akmods.service
           276ms lvm2-pvscan@8:2.service
           219ms dmraid-activation.service
	   [...]
            37ms NetworkManager-wait-online.service
	   [...]
            24ms NetworkManager.service
With (and without) _netdev in fstab, systemd-analyze blame shows:
code:
	  8.071s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
           910ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
           848ms dev-mapper-fedora_client\x2droot.device
           444ms lvm2-monitor.service
           432ms plymouth-start.service
           421ms lvm2-pvscan@8:2.service
           413ms systemd-udev-settle.service
           392ms firewalld.service
	   [...]
           130ms server-audio.mount
           127ms server-movies.mount
           127ms rtkit-daemon.service
           124ms avahi-daemon.service
           114ms server-tv.mount
           102ms server-download.mount
	   [...]
Interestingly, the mounts on the server doesn't seem to take a lot of time, however, networkmanager spends a lot of time waiting.

evol262 posted:

dmesg? Is this a gss failure because rpc-gssd isn't running but it's trying (and failing) krb5? Is rquotad running? Is the firewall blocking it? v3 or v4?
In no particular order: v4(.1), rquotad not running, rpc-gssd is failing indeed because I didn't touch kerberos (no keytab). Honestly, it seems a bit convoluted having to set up Kerberos just for this - I might just skip it and let the current situation (slow fstab mounts) be if so. However, the firewall might be blocking it - I'll have to look into that.

evol262 posted:

Is /misc/download created? If not, autofs may be failing to parse your entry for some reason.
It isn't. It's weird though, because writing an autofs mount is just about the same as writing a fstab one ain't it? Seems hard to mess up somehow, but I guess we're all fallible. Will double check this too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Marinmo posted:

With (and without) _netdev in fstab, systemd-analyze blame shows:
code:
	  8.071s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
           910ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
           848ms dev-mapper-fedora_client\x2droot.device
           444ms lvm2-monitor.service
           432ms plymouth-start.service
           421ms lvm2-pvscan@8:2.service
           413ms systemd-udev-settle.service
           392ms firewalld.service
	   [...]
           130ms server-audio.mount
           127ms server-movies.mount
           127ms rtkit-daemon.service
           124ms avahi-daemon.service
           114ms server-tv.mount
           102ms server-download.mount
	   [...]
Interestingly, the mounts on the server doesn't seem to take a lot of time, however, networkmanager spends a lot of time waiting.
I'd probably start walking "systemd-analyze critical-chain" and "systemctl list-dependencies NetworkManager-wait-online.service" to figure out what's pulling it in, but it looks like it may be nfs-client. Have you tried systemd's automounting in fstab?

Marinmo posted:

In no particular order: v4(.1), rquotad not running, rpc-gssd is failing indeed because I didn't touch kerberos (no keytab). Honestly, it seems a bit convoluted having to set up Kerberos just for this - I might just skip it and let the current situation (slow fstab mounts) be if so. However, the firewall might be blocking it - I'll have to look into that.
You don't need to set up kerberos. You just need rpc-gssd running so kerberos auth can immediately fail instead of timing out. I'm curious about rquotad and rpc-gssd, because I'm curious whether or not the mount is very slow when you try it manually, basically, and whether it's a GSS timeout that's slowing you down.

Marinmo posted:

It isn't. It's weird though, because writing an autofs mount is just about the same as writing a fstab one ain't it? Seems hard to mess up somehow, but I guess we're all fallible. Will double check this too.

Similar enough, I guess. But you can stop autofs and run the service manually in the foreground, which'll tell you if it failed to parse it. autofs always gets me, though, and it takes 10 tries to get it right.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

evol262 posted:

Well, the big question is: which auth providers do you need? Ex: Do you need openid, or did you use it as an example? It's easier to answer with specifics

Point taken.

The pieces of software installed so far use a variety of methods that don't completely overlap - OpenID and LDAP have the greatest number of "votes" and will cover about 90% of cases. So those are the obvious targets. Also seems worth mentioning that we don't currently have any in-house directory or the like, so one will have to be created from scratch and there's nothing to synchronise to.

PS: had a OneLogin salesman call me up and do the hard sell on their product. Positive point is that they have an academic price so that may help.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

spankmeister posted:

That means G4 Powerbook right? Any reason you can't use an USB CD drive?

I don't think it can boot off a USB DVD drive. I have one at home so I can try it tonight but I don't think it will work - it can't boot off a USB drive, for example, only FireWire.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

bassguitarhero posted:

I don't think it can boot off a USB DVD drive. I have one at home so I can try it tonight but I don't think it will work - it can't boot off a USB drive, for example, only FireWire.

Is there a reason you can't just put it in target mode and install to that? Assuming you can find a PPC distro. BSDs are probably better for all of that these days, and they have absolutely no problem installing to a secondary disk and putting the bootloader there.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

evol262 posted:

Is there a reason you can't just put it in target mode and install to that? Assuming you can find a PPC distro. BSDs are probably better for all of that these days, and they have absolutely no problem installing to a secondary disk and putting the bootloader there.

That's what I'm asking - I've been looking for a way to install it to my PowerBook via target disk mode but I haven't seen anything for the PowerBook and Ubuntu. I'm hoping for Ubuntu because that's the server I'm developing on, but I can't find anything on the process. Are there tutorials?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Ubuntu may not even have PPC support. Debian does for sure. Boot in target mode. Attach the disk to a virtual machine (or boot the host from the installer image) and go from there.

Warning: installing something which doesn't match the hosts architecture is gonna be interesting, and the Mac will need yaboot (I think -- it's been a long time). You'll need to attach it, partition it, mount, chroot, and debootstrap from another arch. I'll dig up docs tomorrow, but that string will get you started in google.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ubuntu has ppc support, at least for 14.04, idk about 15.04

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Hollow Talk posted:

This is probably the best advice. Have a project. Make up a project. Think about things that would be neat, then see if you can implement them and get them to work. One of my more recent examples is that I wanted to parse an API each day at the same time, once a day (-> cron), for which I need to download its data (-> curl), parse it (-> json, sed), sort it (-> sort, uniq) output it (-> redirection, sed), glueing it all together (-> pipes) and putting all of it in a repeatable form that works both via cron and interactively (bash). The basic project required a whole bunch of useful knowledge, and I learned something more about BASH arrays in the process. On top of that, it now even pushes the data automatically to a git repository, so there are a bit of git, a watcher programme (via inotifywait) and a systemd service file involved as well. Many of these things are probably much more useful than installing Arch and wondering why your WLAN or backlight or whatnot is not working.

Now I'm really curious what your project accomplishes. Care to explain?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Installing PPC from another arch:

Read this, which is about ARM, but also applicable to PPC. Also read this

Attach the disk from your powerbook in target disk mode. Partition it with an apple partition table, and create a bootstrap partition (if there isn't already one, which there probably is for OSX).

Mount the partiitions. debootstrap it as the target. chroot in. debootstrap stage2. yaboot configuration/install. configure fstab (at a minimum).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Now I'm really curious what your project accomplishes. Care to explain?

Well, this parses a game API that returns killed spaceships as a set of structured JSON data (partially arrays, partially simple key:value pairs), so I have to construct the initial curl command that includes some time constraints in the url (past 24h), shiptypes etc. Since shiptypes are only present as id numbers, not names, I then use sed to filter (-n & p) and subsequently replace the few shiptype ids I care about with their name, while also parsing pilot name etc., which then get collated down to unique entries that contain shiptype, name and a few more things. These get put into git and go into a repository, which gives me a) a nice, browsable history of usage pattern for the shiptypes I am interested in and I can use that data for other things (such as using pivot tables in google docs to combine them into more meaningful sets and share them with others) and b) allows me through some further filtering to keep decent taps on how often certain shiptypes or pilots pop up etc. It's all hacky as hell, but works well and the basic system of API access -> filter/parse data -> output data makes it more universally useful.

Basically, it's a silly contraption for the sake of gaming, but since I do all of this only as a hobby and as an amateur, that means it's as good a reason to try things as any.

If you want to make your eyes bleed: http://pastebin.com/8k7XGyh9

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 24, 2015

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Hollow Talk posted:

Well, this parses a game API that returns killed spaceships as a set of structured JSON data (partially arrays, partially simple key:value pairs), so I have to construct the initial curl command that includes some time constraints in the url (past 24h), shiptypes etc. Since shiptypes are only present as id numbers, not names, I then use sed to filter (-n & p) and subsequently replace the few shiptype ids I care about with their name, while also parsing pilot name etc., which then get collated down to unique entries that contain shiptype, name and a few more things. These get put into git and go into a repository, which gives me a) a nice, browsable history of usage pattern for the shiptypes I am interested in and I can use that data for other things (such as using pivot tables in google docs to combine them into more meaningful sets and share them with others) and b) allows me through some further filtering to keep decent taps on how often certain shiptypes or pilots pop up etc. It's all hacky as hell, but works well and the basic system of API access -> filter/parse data -> output data makes it more universally useful.

Basically, it's a silly contraption for the sake of gaming, but since I do all of this only as a hobby and as an amateur, that means it's as good a reason to try things as any.

If you want to make your eyes bleed: http://pastebin.com/8k7XGyh9

While it's a nice way to get to know the various tools and utilities, now is probably the point where you should learn python or perl or something similar

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

kujeger posted:

While it's a nice way to get to know the various tools and utilities, now is probably the point where you should learn python or perl or something similar

If it were something I'd need for anything, maybe. I have rewritten parts of it in Racket (Scheme), and wrote a drop-in replacement for the json | json | sed part, and could do the sort | uniq step as well via filtering a list and then writing a function to sort strings alphabetically. But it ultimately boils down to :effort: -- which would be different for the guy who asked about learning about system administration, I suppose, since there would be a greater incentive to continually make things work better (until management comes in and tells him that good enough is, well, good enough, etc.).

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
What is the best email server to use for ~5-10 users on a CentOS vm instance? Bonus points for one that can be configured in under 30 minutes after 3-4 beers

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Barnyard Protein posted:

What is the best email server to use for ~5-10 users on a CentOS vm instance? Bonus points for one that can be configured in under 30 minutes after 3-4 beers

Postfix. But the best email is paying someone else to manage it

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Installing a postfix, spamassassin, dovecot and getting it working properly can take a while (I will get around to setting up amavis and clamav on mine someday)

If your CentOS instance meets the minimum requirements for Zimbra I'd suggest you just use Zimbra Open source edition which will set up everything for you and is very easy to use in comparison.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Thanks for sharing!

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Thanks, the post fix mouse is cool I'll try to use it. I just switched from a apisnetworks developer account to a linode-cheapest-node account, and welp I can run my java apps now, but i sure am having to do a lot more linux janitoring!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

theperminator posted:

Installing a postfix, spamassassin, dovecot and getting it working properly can take a while (I will get around to setting up amavis and clamav on mine someday)

If your CentOS instance meets the minimum requirements for Zimbra I'd suggest you just use Zimbra Open source edition which will set up everything for you and is very easy to use in comparison.

If you need spamassassin and other bits, or TLS IMAP server or whatever, yes, but for 5 users who just need email, postfix is 5 minutes.

Barnyard Protein posted:

Thanks, the post fix mouse is cool I'll try to use it. I just switched from a apisnetworks developer account to a linode-cheapest-node account, and welp I can run my java apps now, but i sure am having to do a lot more linux janitoring!
If you wanna learn all the janitoring, this is a good thread. If you just wanna run java apps and not janitor, there are a lot of good paas solutions these days

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I don't mind janitoring, I'm just really out of practice. I can send mail to <username>@<host>.<tld>, but mail from that account shows up as <username>@<host>.members.linode.com. I just now set the reverse DNS to point to <host>.<tld>. I am holding on to my butt and praying' like hell that this will fix it

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Barnyard Protein posted:

I don't mind janitoring, I'm just really out of practice. I can send mail to <username>@<host>.<tld>, but mail from that account shows up as <username>@<host>.members.linode.com. I just now set the reverse DNS to point to <host>.<tld>. I am holding on to my butt and praying' like hell that this will fix it

In /etc/postfix/main.cf you need to set mydomain (or myorigin in certain circumstances).
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

But you still need to do the reverse DNS thing because some spam filters will reject your emails if you don't.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

There Will Be Penalty posted:

In /etc/postfix/main.cf you need to set mydomain (or myorigin in certain circumstances).
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

But you still need to do the reverse DNS thing because some spam filters will reject your emails if you don't.

Thanks!! That helped. I'm now my domain is showing up as "From: <user>@<host>.members.linode.com via <host>.<tld>". The 'via' wasn't there before. So i'm sniffing around setting up the SPF. The rabbit hole continues!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Barnyard Protein posted:

Thanks!! That helped. I'm now my domain is showing up as "From: <user>@<host>.members.linode.com via <host>.<tld>". The 'via' wasn't there before. So i'm sniffing around setting up the SPF. The rabbit hole continues!

What's the current state of SPF and DKIM with postfix? I remember when I set my up my mailserver that one of the two was a proper bother to set up, which is why I am running exim right now. That said, don't use exim, configuration is...not great.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Postfix. But the best email is paying someone else to manage it
Running your own email for a handful of users in 2015 is literally asking your users to come to you and ask, "hey, do you know why nobody has gotten any of the emails I've sent for the past two weeks?" after you end up on some RBL. Except they won't say it like that. There will be a lot more expletives.

Unless it's a toy, there's very little good reason to run your own email for an environment of this size; unless your budget is a high schooler's allowance, just don't.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
With the thread's help, I was able to get the email to show up from the correct domain name. I did a number of things, I forgot what some of the things were, other things I blindly did without knowing exactly what they meant. In short, I shouldn't be administering a linux, but this is a hobby thing and the 5-10 users are all me, so it is good enough. I'll look into tying my domain into gmail, it'd be nice to not have to worry about it breaking or getting put on an RBL

me-using-linux.gif

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Since they ditched the free tier, Gmail is infrastructure for people with actual revenue streams. Which I assume your situation isn't since you're doing the janitoring as an after-beer activity.

But if the 5-10 users are all you, Gmail for Work could be yours for the low low price of $50/year.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 25, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ruby idiot railed posted:

Since they ditched the free tier, Gmail is infrastructure for people with actual revenue streams. Which I assume your situation isn't since you're doing the janitoring as an after-beer activity.

But if the 5-10 users are all you, Gmail for Work could be yours for the low low price of $50/year.

Or, y'know, get them all to chip in :10bux:, which is pretty paltry

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
The "buy" vs. "make" decision is difficult. For personal projects I tend to go for "make" because its cheaper, and I wind up learning something new. On the other hand, I spend more time doing stuff to support the activity I'm interested in rather than the activity itself. I go to change a light bulb but wind up fixing the car. Anyways, I appreciate the help and the advice.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

If you need spamassassin and other bits, or TLS IMAP server or whatever, yes, but for 5 users who just need email, postfix is 5 minutes.

Everyone needs spam filtering and some way to access their mail that isn't "ssh in and run mutt".

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

theperminator posted:

Everyone needs spam filtering and some way to access their mail that isn't "ssh in and run mutt".

I don't like to make assumptions, and some users just need to send, not read, making "accessing their mail" a null argument.

Granted, most people probably want something (and courier imap is basically zero setup time), but then we can go down the mess of "what about webmail? should I use roundcube? etc"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

postfix dovecot roundcube

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

spankmeister posted:

postfix dovecot roundcube

cPanel ahoy!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

cPanel ahoy!

Are you suggesting to sign up for a shared hosting account, or pay $200/year for a license for some cancerous software designed for scumsucking webhosts.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I used to run dovecot, but when I rebuilt the server I switched to Cyrus and I find that I like it a lot more and it's a lot easier to manage.

That said, gently caress email. Spamassassin isn't working that great these days either. I wish gmail offered their spam filtering as a service.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Spamassassin works passably for me at work, but the thing that really cut the vast majority of spam we got was postgrey.

Just remember to set the retry time to something short so you don't have to wait 5 minutes to reset a password or something.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

RFC2324 posted:

cPanel ahoy!

Yeah, don't do this. Unless you want to have to fight to manage your system and get forced to use crappy UIs that barely work lest your config files get reset (and sometimes have it happen anyway for shits and giggles), all backed up by outdated documentation, avoid cPanel.

Even if it weren't terrible, it's overkill for the specified needs.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I had to work with cPanel for 10 years as a sysadmin for a hosting company. gently caress ever touching that poo poo again.

ToxicFrog posted:

That said, gently caress email. Spamassassin isn't working that great these days either. I wish gmail offered their spam filtering as a service.

I had this issue, I fixed it by wiping my bayes database, and then adding a cron to learn anything i put into my Junk folder as spam.
Make sure you've got a cron created for sa-update too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

theperminator posted:

I had to work with cPanel for 10 years as a sysadmin for a hosting company. gently caress ever touching that poo poo again.

Not ten years, but same. I assumed everyone would see it as a joke.