Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Fiendly posted:

Honestly, that's a relief. It was my favorite podcast up until last year, but every Tuesday of the last six months I've just shaken my head and wondered why they don't stop doing the podcast at this point. There was actually a slight uptick in quality over the past few episodes, but they were still pretty middling and Tig was obviously not into it when she was even there. Good riddance I say, and Kyle doing his own podcast could be phenomenal since even the people who never liked Blastoff usually agree he's hilarious.

Absolutely agree. Tig don't still got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Semi-related: the Tig doc is good, I thought.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Drunkboxer posted:

Semi-related: the Tig doc is good, I thought.

I'm the insane person in that documentary that volunteered his wife's uterus to house a Tiglet. That's my 5 minutes of fame right there. I think I used them wisely.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'm the insane person in that documentary that volunteered his wife's uterus to house a Tiglet. That's my 5 minutes of fame right there. I think I used them wisely.

Oh wow that's awesome! Have there been any more attempts, or are Tig and Stephanie set on adoption? The documentary is very touching if people haven't seen it yet. Tig really went through the worst possible experiences a human can have and came out still able to make jokes about them.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Sneeing Emu posted:

Oh wow that's awesome! Have there been any more attempts, or are Tig and Stephanie set on adoption? The documentary is very touching if people haven't seen it yet. Tig really went through the worst possible experiences a human can have and came out still able to make jokes about them.

I'd be happy to relay any totally meaningless information about the time my wife and I spent with Tig and Stephanie but I really can't talk about details of their personal lives (other than what's in the movie).

It was pretty surreal sitting in on a Professor Blastoff taping (you can hear my kid cry in the background of the yoga episode), but it was mega weird just talking about parenting and grabbing some stuff from Whole Foods.

I volunteered us before we knew there was going to be a documentary, and it's not like I wish we were in the movie any more than we are, but I wish viewers could know that we were also pretty crushed that the implantation didn't take. Oh well.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I'm just now catching up to the latest episodes of I4H but it's pretty obvious that Matt Besser doesn't know what the word censorship means right? Those sun kill moon arguments are among the dumbest things I've heard. He both says that the market will decide and people won't buy stuff if a person is truly hateful but it's also censoring the artist if you decide you're no longer a fan of them

I'm also catching up with a few months of I4H, and that episode had me saying "C'mon, Matt" out loud several times. He's smart enough to know that "Equal Opportunity Offender" stuff is nonsense, and the whole "punching up/down" thing is completely tied to your identity in relation to the power of the group you're poking fun of. It's the same old story of the guy who's most upset about censorship being the one who actually wants to silence people.

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?

Fiendly posted:

Honestly, that's a relief. It was my favorite podcast up until last year, but every Tuesday of the last six months I've just shaken my head and wondered why they don't stop doing the podcast at this point. There was actually a slight uptick in quality over the past few episodes, but they were still pretty middling and Tig was obviously not into it when she was even there. Good riddance I say, and Kyle doing his own podcast could be phenomenal since even the people who never liked Blastoff usually agree he's hilarious.

Yeah I kinda stopped listening a while ago because they seemed to just keep bringing in the same people (Stephanie was in more than 3 I think) and pretty much only had comedian guests for every topic instead of people in other fields like they used to.

Would definitely listen to a Kyle podcast, I really like his YT channel.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

bobservo posted:

I'm also catching up with a few months of I4H, and that episode had me saying "C'mon, Matt" out loud several times. He's smart enough to know that "Equal Opportunity Offender" stuff is nonsense, and the whole "punching up/down" thing is completely tied to your identity in relation to the power of the group you're poking fun of. It's the same old story of the guy who's most upset about censorship being the one who actually wants to silence people.

I'm doing the exact same thing and just got to the Case Closed on Sun Kil Moon myself. All the Case Closeds kind of take the momentum out of the episodes for me, even more than the musical guests do. You've got Andy Daly there! Why are we spending so much time on half-assed arguments from internet people about issues that are not going to be resolved in that dumb segment? It'd be different if they all were small dumb stuff about milk or whatever so Besser could play up his irritable grump, but you can tell he actually has strong feelings about artists being repressed or whatever.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/scripps-acquires-podcast-industry-leader-midroll-300117114.html

$$$

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I love Armen.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Eight Dollars posted:

I'm doing the exact same thing and just got to the Case Closed on Sun Kil Moon myself. All the Case Closeds kind of take the momentum out of the episodes for me, even more than the musical guests do. You've got Andy Daly there! Why are we spending so much time on half-assed arguments from internet people about issues that are not going to be resolved in that dumb segment? It'd be different if they all were small dumb stuff about milk or whatever so Besser could play up his irritable grump, but you can tell he actually has strong feelings about artists being repressed or whatever.

I honestly don't mind when Besser has a legitimate bone to pick, but comedians can't stop whining whenever they're taken to task for lazy, hack jokes. He even contradicts himself when he says "the market will correct things" because that's EXACTLY what happened with Seinfeld—the out-of-touch jokes of a 60-year-old-multimillionaire don't fly with a group of kids who were in diapers when his TV series went off the air, so he's not playing those types of shows anymore.

I also get the feeling that Mookie Blaiklock disagreed but was too afraid to be assertive with Matt.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Wow that's crazy! I thought it was weird (but really awesome) of you two to do that. I loved the documentary, Tig is so cool.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

Wow that's crazy! I thought it was weird (but really awesome) of you two to do that. I loved the documentary, Tig is so cool.

I keep trying to think of fun stuff to share but all I really have is the following: We went to get dinner and kept making eyes at each other that Jon Voight was eating a few tables away. Not because we were starstruck or anything, but because you couldn't ask for a more hilarious celebrity to spot. I made Tig belly laugh exactly once and got a "you still got it" exactly once (two separate occasions). Tig owns a baller t-shirt that says "Lars von Trier" but in the Van Halen logo. She and Stephanie are hilarious together in a way that would never work in any medium other than just being around them because they're the same type of dumb jokes everyone has with their partner, but they are both pros. Stephanie is crazy well-read and very genuinely sweet.

Oh and I talked with David Huntsberger about Squarespace, and how much it sucks. That was cathartic as hell after hearing their ads on earwolf constantly.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

I keep trying to think of fun stuff to share but all I really have is the following: We went to get dinner and kept making eyes at each other that Jon Voight was eating a few tables away. Not because we were starstruck or anything, but because you couldn't ask for a more hilarious celebrity to spot. I made Tig belly laugh exactly once and got a "you still got it" exactly once (two separate occasions). Tig owns a baller t-shirt that says "Lars von Trier" but in the Van Halen logo. She and Stephanie are hilarious together in a way that would never work in any medium other than just being around them because they're the same type of dumb jokes everyone has with their partner, but they are both pros. Stephanie is crazy well-read and very genuinely sweet.

Oh and I talked with David Huntsberger about Squarespace, and how much it sucks. That was cathartic as hell after hearing their ads on earwolf constantly.

The shirt is from a video store on the westside called Cinefile. They sell the shirts.

http://cinefile.jumpseller.com/#_=_

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, it's seriously no wonder Tig sums herself up with just the word "cool." She's still very human and relatable, but in a way that just makes her cooler.

Makes me even more wistful for the heyday of Professor Blastoff than their farewell did. I was on the waiting list to be a call-in guest for an episode when they decided to stop doing call-ins because they tended to be terrible, which was a good call on their part, but I still regret not being more of a pain in the rear end about it so I could at least say I did everything I could to get on. At least the second half of their final episode was one of the best episodes of the entire run (the first half was just depressing, though).

Also, the part of the documentary where you tried to push the pull door was the first of many laugh-out-loud moments for me. It sort of broke the ice after reliving the trauma of being a Blastronaut in 2012 up to that point.

soggybagel posted:

The shirt is from a video store on the westside called Cinefile. They sell the shirts.

http://cinefile.jumpseller.com/#_=_

drat, unavailable online, and I can't bring myself to call a place just for a chance to waste money.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Fiendly posted:

Also, the part of the documentary where you tried to push the pull door was the first of many laugh-out-loud moments for me. It sort of broke the ice after reliving the trauma of being a Blastronaut in 2012 up to that point.

I honestly have no idea why that made the cut. They shot thousands of hours before we even met Tig, and presumably shot thousands more after. I vaguely remember hearing about a 3-hour version they were struggling to hack down, and they wasted precious seconds on THAT? I'm not embarrassed by it but just as a fan of movies and comedy it seems like there must have been something more worthy than me re-enacting that one Far Side cartoon.

Back to the podcast though. I finally listened to the last episode and I really appreciate how real/raw it was. PB was very much a "warts and all" podcast, and hearing them talk frankly about their contractual obligations was kind of jarring and horrible, but I appreciate that there was no attempt to bullshit the audience about why it was ending and why it's been weaker for the last 12-18 months.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 24, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Last week's Lauren Lapkus with Matt Besser was the best episode IMO. I think it's the first one that's not supposed to be a talk show.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Last week's Lauren Lapkus with Matt Besser was the best episode IMO. I think it's the first one that's not supposed to be a talk show.

Yeah I turned it off after the first two minutes and came back to it a few days later; I'm glad I did. I'm still not a huge fan of the show and don't think the premise works nearly as well as it did with Andy Daly, though.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I turned it off after the first two minutes and came back to it a few days later; I'm glad I did. I'm still not a huge fan of the show and don't think the premise works nearly as well as it did with Andy Daly, though.

Well, it's unfair to compare it to the best comedy podcast of all time.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There are way more misses than hits, but I stay subscribed to it in my podcast app for the few really good episodes, like Aukerman's or PFT's. The Besser one was okay.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Back To 99 posted:

Well, it's unfair to compare it to the best comedy podcast of all time.

The idea for both is almost exactly the same, and honestly WSGLL is really boring most of the time, so :shrug: I was excited for it, and some of the recent episodes have been better (Besser, Santa) but I keep trying to pick it up and it just isn't clicking with me. I don't like most of Lauren's guest characters most of the time, Tracy Reardon is over-used and a lot of the hosts aren't the best at keeping things interesting.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I usually listen for the first 5-10 minutes, realize that the given characters aren't nearly funny/interesting enough to be stretched out for 45 minutes and just skip ahead to the Help Me Rhonda segment because those have been pretty consistently decent.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fawf posted:

I usually listen for the first 5-10 minutes, realize that the given characters aren't nearly funny/interesting enough to be stretched out for 45 minutes and just skip ahead to the Help Me Rhonda segment because those have been pretty consistently decent.

It's kind of the opposite for me, a lot of the time I think the premise is interesting once they start getting deeper into it then they stop and do the Traci Reardon segment which I've gotten pretty sick of at this point (People's twitter questions are dumb and Traci Reardon has been kinda run into the ground)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's unfair to compare the 2 because, while the concept is similar, 1 is Lauren being thrown both a character and scenario by a buddy and the two try and hammer it together from there, the other is a large-dose of pre-written stuff in a well-established voice and then some killer improv by guys he's worked with for years.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I think the crazier the characters, the better that podcast works. It's the ones where they're doing (relatively) normal characters on a normal show that don't really work for me.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

feedmyleg posted:

Who doesn't tell their wife that they have an identical twin brother in a coma? Mitch is such a dick :colbert:

Wait wait wait

They're married? :psyduck: I just thought they were friends!

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

Wait wait wait

They're married? :psyduck: I just thought they were friends!

https://twitter.com/SPONTANEANATION/status/620693404205215744

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well that changes everything!

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's unfair to compare the 2 because, while the concept is similar, 1 is Lauren being thrown both a character and scenario by a buddy and the two try and hammer it together from there, the other is a large-dose of pre-written stuff in a well-established voice and then some killer improv by guys he's worked with for years.

I agree that the issue is that Lauren's podcast is fundamentally lazy and half assed.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I agree that the issue is that Lauren's podcast is fundamentally lazy and half assed.

gonna have to agree with Keven here

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Today's Womp it Up has some great new background on the Seth/Listler fridge incident.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

So today's awful person we all hate online is some dentist from Minnesota who paid $50,000 to illegally kill a famous African lion. I checked out his Yelp page to see the kind of poo poo being poured down his business:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So today's awful person we all hate online is some dentist from Minnesota who paid $50,000 to illegally kill a famous African lion. I checked out his Yelp page to see the kind of poo poo being poured down his business:

Brett G. has 0 friends :(

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Brett G. has 0 friends :(

He still has more friends than me.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

How boring.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Brett Gelman is a basic bitch.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

jyrka posted:

How boring.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Brett Gelman is a basic bitch.

These posts are even worse, haha.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

poo poo! I hope the clown loving mega bitch who made them posts gets hosed with a rusty pontoon! I hope these mother fucker get their asses ripped off and shoved back into their own asses! I hope all of the saw movies happen to them in order! Faith in humanity --

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What made the lion famous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What made the lion famous

He had a podcast where he recapped every episode of LA Law