Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

in ravex should both tanks be sharing blinding blade alone or turning him towards the raid? or does it loving matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What do you actually get out of the highest end desynth anyway? I've been doing mostly ltw since it seemed relatively uncommon (everyone's doing cooking) but am only in the 70ish range

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Question for those who own the game on 2 platforms. I own the game on ps4 with heavensward (CEs for both) if I bought the game on steam so I could play on my laptop sometimes. What would happen if I just had the vanilla game? Would I just not be able to access the expansion areas/jobs or would it not work at all?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

in ravex should both tanks be sharing blinding blade alone or turning him towards the raid? or does it loving matter?

Both methods are viable, but I think the former is better because Blinding Blade will interrupt casts, and because the raid is going to be too spread out during the moth phase anyway.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
100% for sure you're not allowed to log on if you log out in a hw-only area, and all intuition says you can't log on if you log out as a hw-only job and it will give an error message if you try to equip a hw job weapon (but yes you can log on if you're logged in as a vanilla pre-50 in a vanilla area, not sure if you're levelled past 50 on a vanilla job in a vanilla area)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

just make sure your MT and OT both know how to count to three and blinding blades are easy. The OT might have to run out to help kill a moth or two if the DPS is slow so make sure the MT has a big cooldown banked if that happens

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The fastest way from 85-90ish to 120 is to get HQ Bacon Broth, HQ Tinker's Calm and about 1-2 million gil (I wasn't paying attention) and sit at the vendors in Ishgard desynthing the cheapest thing you can find (Armourer Belts and Weaver Necklaces are like 10k each?). At the start of HW you made a lot of money back cause you basically got unlimited mats that everyone was buying for way too much but now it's just a huge money sink.

Rei_ posted:

just make sure your MT and OT both know how to count to three and blinding blades are easy. The OT might have to run out to help kill a moth or two if the DPS is slow so make sure the MT has a big cooldown banked if that happens

Easiest way to remember is that he always uses Blinding Blade after Tapasya except at the pull and the phase after Final Liberation.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

What do you actually get out of the highest end desynth anyway? I've been doing mostly ltw since it seemed relatively uncommon (everyone's doing cooking) but am only in the 70ish range

Demimateria basically. It's required for a bunch of crafts, or you can just make a bunch of money selling it.

I don't have access to the i110 crafts which use even more expensive and higher grade demimateria but for example, this is an i90 master recipe:

The fieldcraft demi is even more lucrative, but you have to desynth crafted gear to get it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Phew, finally got through RavEx. Don't want to PF that again for a long time :cry:

(Not to be all ~MY DPS~ but according to ACT I got 607 across the whole fight (30 second encounter reset timer, so no resets) as MNK. Is that about normal for i180 overall, i180 weapon?)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Phew, finally got through RavEx. Don't want to PF that again for a long time :cry:

(Not to be all ~MY DPS~ but according to ACT I got 607 across the whole fight (30 second encounter reset timer, so no resets) as MNK. Is that about normal for i180 overall, i180 weapon?)

607 was good...in final coil.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
you're doing 400 dps under an average monk

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

You either got mega carried (in which case congrats!) or you should probably fix your ACT settings.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Doublestep posted:

you're doing 400 dps under an average monk

fount of knowledge posted:

You either got mega carried (in which case congrats!) or you should probably fix your ACT settings.

As I think I said, I did a 30 second encounter reset, so it would be one entry per wipe, rather than one entry per phase, so it dropped DPS from all the deadtime. Figured it would be easier to compare attempt-to-attempt that way, rather than having like six entries of varying length to stare at per attempt.

Guess I should just go see what I'm doing against a dummy instead if I'm worried about it, huh :shobon:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So I'm levelling PLD now, and I'm torn between dungeons and fate grinding. tank queues for dungeons are really fast and they're honestly more fun, but fates seem to just be a ton more exp and are really sort of like, just let you watch SGDQ while doing them.

Eej posted:

The fastest way from 85-90ish to 120 is to get HQ Bacon Broth, HQ Tinker's Calm and about 1-2 million gil (I wasn't paying attention) and sit at the vendors in Ishgard desynthing the cheapest thing you can find (Armourer Belts and Weaver Necklaces are like 10k each?). At the start of HW you made a lot of money back cause you basically got unlimited mats that everyone was buying for way too much but now it's just a huge money sink.

Easiest way to remember is that he always uses Blinding Blade after Tapasya except at the pull and the phase after Final Liberation.

He also bows before he does blinding blade, however if you're too late it won't split the damage. He has some really slick animations but the timings on tapasya and blinding blade are really strange.

5 clears tonight, 15 clears altogether. Had to buy my axe with totems and still havent seen the loving gun.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 25, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

jyrque posted:

I've been wondering: how is ninja at 60? I've heard a lot about every single other job but ninja is always overlooked.

Ninja is fine. Not a lot has changed as others have mentioned but my numbers are competitive with people in better gear than me so the class seems to be in a good place. Maybe not as good as drg or smn, but still solid. It's also become a bit of a rarity.

Ciaphas posted:

You could probably be a little bit higher but not that much. I think these guys are forgetting that Revana has a lot of downtime in it. That said, go punch a training dummy for 3 minutes and if you aren't parsing over 1k minimum, you are messing something up badly. Even under 1100 probably means you could be working on something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

You could probably be a little bit higher but not that much. I think these guys are forgetting that Revana has a lot of downtime in it. That said, go punch a training dummy for 3 minutes and if you aren't parsing over 1k minimum, you are messing something up badly. Even under 1100 probably means you could be working on something.

Yeah I rammed my face at one for three minutes (which is about when my TP ran out anyway) without food or pots, and got 1060. I still haven't figured out a PB opener that works for me really well (best I've worked out, with buffs then ogcd attacks woven in, is snap snap demolish twin dragon kick (pb ends)), I could probably eke out like 40 more just from that :v:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Ravana has a TON of loving downtime and tanks tend to parse a bit higher than anyone else because they're getting hits in on him during the add phase while everyone is killing moths. 600-700 is more than enough to clear the fight and we're talking incredibly solid play if you're scoring above 800 consistently.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Rei_ posted:

Ravana has a TON of loving downtime and tanks tend to parse a bit higher than anyone else because they're getting hits in on him during the add phase while everyone is killing moths. 600-700 is more than enough to clear the fight and we're talking incredibly solid play if you're scoring above 800 consistently.

:yikes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh yeah I said I was gonna look up what the hell that likpate thing is, didn't I

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Welp now I know and my life is very slightly worsened for it

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

HOLY gently caress I pubbed mogex and won. What's my reward?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How many people do you need to reliably do EX primals now at 60?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

How many people do you need to reliably do EX primals now at 60?

Depends on the Primal, but four or five seems to work for most of them.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Can someone link the ACT setup guide that was posted in here before?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Failboattootoot posted:

Ninja is fine. Not a lot has changed as others have mentioned but my numbers are competitive with people in better gear than me so the class seems to be in a good place. Maybe not as good as drg or smn, but still solid. It's also become a bit of a rarity.

Ravanas Beetle Stance certainly doesn't do anybodys DPS any favors either.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

pandaK posted:

Can someone link the ACT setup guide that was posted in here before?

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27483

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
So just downloaded this, mainly interested in tanking but cant decide between the Marauder and the Gladiator to start with.

Looks like the warrior is where its at reading the last couple of pages so likely Marauder is the best choice?

Are we talking marginal differences between the Paladin and Warrior or game changing differences?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Emnity posted:

So just downloaded this, mainly interested in tanking but cant decide between the Marauder and the Gladiator to start with.

Looks like the warrior is where its at reading the last couple of pages so likely Marauder is the best choice?

Are we talking marginal differences between the Paladin and Warrior or game changing differences?

Warriors use axes while paladins hide behind shields like nerds.

JuggernautEX
Feb 2, 2011

Emnity posted:

Paladins are boring and stupid and not fun to play, while Warriors are cool and awesome and super fun to play. I hope this clears things up for you and you make the correct choice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Emnity posted:

There are pretty big differences between them, but they're both equally good at what they do. And you'll be able to try out both of them; your class selection at the start doesn't limit you at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Emnity posted:

Aesthetics aside, gameplay wise they're both excellent and good at what they do, with their own special niches at the level cap. Most of us just like Warrior because they're somewhat more engaging to play, what with big hits and big numbers and big axes :v:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Paladin is boring and has a bunch of useless skills like Shield Oath.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Paladin's combat animations are pretty lame although I have not seen the animations for 50-60 skills

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Volt Catfish posted:

Paladin's combat animations are pretty lame although I have not seen the animations for 50-60 skills

The 50-60 skills look cool as gently caress

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'd like Paladin more, aesthetically, with one/any of A) more things to do with their shield, or B) more focus on the "holy" aspect implied by the name Paladin (yes I know it's "Knight" in JP, shut the gently caress up). I've always loved the "Smite Thee With The Power of the Lord GOD" archetype in video games (think D&D clerics, here, or the Crusader from Diablo 3) and was quite disappointed that Paladin just doesn't really pan out that way. (Circle of Scorn is their coolest ability IMO for this reason)

(edit: or hell, the Crusader--and indeed Priests in general--in DFO since we have a few DFO avatars in here. Rad aesthetic on that class.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 25, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Paladin's have the better cooldowns between them and WAR even accounting for the situational ones. No reason not to get your feet wet in both of them though due to cross class skills (Provoke, the game's 'taunt' skill is gladiator level 22.)

Also hiding behind a shield isn't cowardly when I use it to pry open a beasts maw so I can stab them in the throat :black101:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The worst part of Marauder is having to get around to those 22 levels of Gladiator.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Boten Anna posted:

The worst part of Marauder is having to get around to those 22 levels of Gladiator.

Troof.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ciaphas posted:

I'd like Paladin more, aesthetically, with one/any of A) more things to do with their shield, or B) more focus on the "holy" aspect implied by the name Paladin (yes I know it's "Knight" in JP, shut the gently caress up). I've always loved the "Smite Thee With The Power of the Lord GOD" archetype in video games (think D&D clerics, here, or the Crusader from Diablo 3) and was quite disappointed that Paladin just doesn't really pan out that way. (Circle of Scorn is their coolest ability IMO for this reason)

(edit: or hell, the Crusader--and indeed Priests in general--in DFO since we have a few DFO avatars in here. Rad aesthetic on that class.)

But they got a block skill that summons a giant shield around themselves, a self buff that shields their raid from damage and a powerful single target heal.

Besides the name Paladin doesn't actually imply holiness unless you are basing all of that off of the D&D archetype instead of actual paladins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I was more looking for a guide on how to get the base program to work. I have ACT up in admin mode and with the FFXIV plugin that it came with, but it's still not parsing anything.

• Locked thread