Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pohl posted:

I didn't call everyone a racist. WHAT DID I LEAVE OUT? YOU ARE THE REAL RACIST!!!! Well poo poo, I left a word out of my joke and now everyone is freaking out. gently caress you guys, seriously, it was a joke and now people are talking it about it as if i meant it. That is complete bullshit.

I'm sorry I left out one loving word. What a loving travesty.

No I really can't, thanks.
A bunch of people attacking me kinda gets me worked up. Sorry if that bothers you.

I generally agree with your sentiment, but your posting reads like you're having a manic episode. It's hard to parse any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Pohl posted:

No I really can't, thanks.
A bunch of people attacking me kinda gets me worked up. Sorry if that bothers you.

Okay, well, you're just embarrassing yourself.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Pohl posted:

How the gently caress have you people never heard, you are the real racist?

I can't believe I'm getting poo poo for that unless I pulled it off so well, everyone thought I was being sincere.
Just holy crap.

And maybe, thanks, I guess? I never intended to confuse of fool everyone, but lol if you are freaking out.

Maybe just drop it dude? We get it now.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Devor posted:

I generally agree with your sentiment, but your posting reads like you're having a manic episode. It's hard to parse any other way.

I've re read my response about a billion times and I don't understand what is questionable about it, maybe I am loving manic. Not a joke, by the way. ugh. I still don't get why my post was bad, but I'll take your post under consideration. Thank you.

Edit: I'm done, carry on, please.
Sorry I derailed this thread.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 25, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol ur loving retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pohl posted:

I've re read my response about a billion times and I don't understand what is questionable about it, maybe I am loving manic. Not a joke, by the way. ugh. I still don't get why my post was bad, but I'll take your post under consideration. Thank you.

Edit: I'm done, carry on, please.
Sorry I derailed this thread.

I think you seriously need to take some sedatives and step away from the keyboard. Your posting comes off as....well, hysterical.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Didn't see this mentioned but
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/video-shows-cops-beating-suspect-surrender-article-1.2299659?cid=bitly

quote:

While Martinez is handcuffing Jennings without any difficulty, Lutchman is striking him with his baton and then drives Jennings head down into the counter with his elbow.

Stop resisting

e: The article doesn't make it clear, but it wasn't Jennings who wielded the weapon, but (allegedly)someone who was either with him or unrelated to him.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 25, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

nm posted:

I'm not sure you are correct, but the written warning with him is the most maddening (ok maybe not, but it bugs me) part of the whole thing. If he had just said "I'm giving you a warning" as he approached the window she would almost certainly have given him a huge metaphorical blow job of thank yous and everyone would still be alive and not suspended with pay.
It was just so needless.

This was a stupid question since I had a lot conjecture in my original post. Never mind.

Edit: I'd actually like to know your opinion on what happened. That would be cool, if you were willing to do that, I'd appreciate it.
One stupid line of mine hosed this thread up... perhaps if you gave a line by line description of your view of this event, we could bring the thread back???

Pohl fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 25, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If it makes you feel better Pohl, that was a really funny flameout.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx

Senf posted:

I know someone who is dating a guy that wants to be a cop and during a family BBQ last week, their first question (to a friend of mine that works in security and knows a few cops) about being an officer was "do they get to carry their own gun?"

This person is currently in the first or second stage of the interview process and they've gotten that far based on nothing more than their military background. He also just bought his first gun because he "loving loves guns" and wants to own "a shitload of them." He's 21.

That's my story. I'll go back to lurking the thread now.
Couple pages back but maybe we know the same guy, always spouting biotruths and bragging about how well he can read people? Goes out speeding on public roads for fun but thinks drug users are vermin?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zwabu posted:

I often see the sentiment expressed, here and elsewhere, that incidents like the Bland arrest are proof that dashcams and bodycams can't prevent people from dying like this, such as in this NY Times editorial about the incident:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/25/opinion/on-the-death-of-sandra-bland-and-our-vulnerable-bodies.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

I have to disagree though. The video is only the first step. Without the video none of us would likely ever have heard of Sandra Bland or know that she died in jail after a bullshit traffic stop, or have had a chance to actually see the circumstances of how such arrests go down and have an opportunity to discuss it. There was no scrutiny. Now there is some scrutiny. Not enough, but some.

The next step is that there has to be accountability. If nothing ever happens to the cops like the one who stopped Bland, then all the video in the world can't help.

But the events of this year, from Ferguson to the Garner, Gray and Bland cases among others, are just the beginning of this process. There was no evidence to even base discussion of these cases before except the police version. The process could get derailed or go nowhere. But it's just starting, with people actually seeing these incidents on film.

I was talking with a few friends yesterday about the dash cams and body cams and the general fuckery surrounding them. I know that dealing in absolutes is dangerous and is ill-advised, but I'm kind of tired of hearing about how the footage was mysteriously lost or edited. It only happens when there's an obvious abuse of power, and we're currently batting pretty drat close to a perfect 1000 on "oh something happened and we lost the video/audio" when it comes to this garbage.

It's a systemic issue and changing the process to an automatic lose for police departments who can't seem to turn up untouched video in a case isn't the solution. It'd feel good to throw the book/hammer; however, it's unrealistic and incredibly unfortunate. I guess I'm just going to have to solace myself by whispering sweet nothings into my ear at night about how things get worse before they get better.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What if the cop was smoking a cigarette while issuing a traffic ticket

Probably would have people saying "I would put out my cigarette if a cop stopped me so they could do the same!"

Not a reason to arrest somebody but when someone is legally allowed to detain you for several hours you probably should just put the cigarette out and live to light another day...

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

If it makes you feel better Pohl, that was a really funny flameout.

It doesn't, but thanks. :sigh:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Cole posted:

Probably would have people saying "I would put out my cigarette if a cop stopped me so they could do the same!"

Not a reason to arrest somebody but when someone is legally allowed to detain you for several hours you probably should just put the cigarette out and live to light another day...

Watch the video again. Before the cigarette, he asked her why she was upset. After she told him, that was when everything went downhill, the smoke was just an excuse.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cole posted:

No, they wouldn't. Man, you're bad at arguing things.

The stop was over, right? Unless he was planning to arrest her for the lane change, he could have just handed her the ticket and walked off. So why the order to put out the cigarette?

quote:

Everyone understands this, that it's 'best' to just do what a cop says because they can abuse their power. Nobody is confused about that. However, human beings aren't perfectly rational actors, so in reality, you'll have people getting upset when talking to cops, especially if the cop just pulled them over for a lane change that the cop themselves provoked.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Cole posted:

What if the cop asked you to take off your clothes? Or go down on him? Better to live another day, right? After all he has a gun and a taser.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

What if the cop asked you to take off your clothes? Or go down on him? Better to live another day, right? After all he has a gun and a taser.

You can beat the rap, but not the mustache ride.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cole posted:

Yes, and then the citizen arrested that officer and put them in jail on the smallest pretext.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zwabu posted:

Well given that cops can legit kill people and get away with it I would probably have to weigh my options on this one.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Cole posted:

Again, the cop is the professional in the situation. He has to act better than the person he's serving. I'm sure his department has rules on smoking that he has to follow, like any other job.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Dum Cumpster posted:

Again, the cop is the professional in the situation. He has to act better than the person he's serving. I'm sure his department has rules on smoking that he has to follow, like any other job.

Cops obviously don't have rules about killing black people though so i hope the cigarette is worth it.

I know it shouldn't be that way but guess what, it is! So until it isn't, you're better off just playing along with what the cop wants. Is your life worth sticking it to the man so you can take a few more drags? Or should you, I dunno, just comply with what the cop says and fight the injustice at a better time where it's not you vs a cop, which obviously will end with you dead?

I guess if you're out to be a martyr then it's okay, but I would rather walk away alive so that I can just smoke another cigarette later.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zwabu posted:

After this last year of news, yes I personally would do all of those things, because the cop knows he can murder me for resisting and count on people saying he had the right to arrest me for not signaling lane change after I refused to blow him and once I pushed him away I have battered a cop and deserved to get my day ruined.

^^^^Haha, case in point, that post. "I know it shouldn't be that way, but it is, so isn't kinda your own fault if you get murdered?"

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

VitalSigns posted:

After this last year of news, yes I personally would do all of those things, because the cop knows he can murder me for resisting and count on people saying he had the right to arrest me for not signaling lane change after I refused to blow him and once I pushed him away I have battered a cop and deserved to get my day ruined.

^^^^Haha, case in point, that post. "I know it shouldn't be that way, but it is, so isn't kinda your own fault if you get murdered?"

That isn't what I said at all, friend :)

It's like working at 7-11 and a robber walks in. You're better off doing exactly what he wants to increase your chance of survival rather than trying to stand up to him, because your 7-11 job (just like your cigarette) isn't worth risking your life.

Don't be so dense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I too think we as a society should expect police to act no better than common muggers and thieves.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

VitalSigns posted:

I too think we as a society should expect police to act no better than common muggers and thieves.

Here's the problem though: they don't. And when they are acting the way they do, that's not the time to stand up to them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No one disagrees that you should do whatever police say because they can beat and murder you with no repercussions and the support of millions of people who will say you were dumb for talking back and deserved it.

What's your opinion on hot stoves: touch or not touch?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Cole posted:

Cops obviously don't have rules about killing black people though so i hope the cigarette is worth it.

I know it shouldn't be that way but guess what, it is! So until it isn't, you're better off just playing along with what the cop wants. Is your life worth sticking it to the man so you can take a few more drags? Or should you, I dunno, just comply with what the cop says and fight the injustice at a better time where it's not you vs a cop, which obviously will end with you dead?

I guess if you're out to be a martyr then it's okay, but I would rather walk away alive so that I can just smoke another cigarette later.

I treat everyone I interact with with equal respect (I'm pretty nice too!), but I don't understand what that has to do with believing that an adult on the job shouldn't throw a tantrum when dealing with a person they feel is being rude to them.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Also I said that in response to your saying that most people thing cops should behave better than the public. They should! That's not unreasonable. It's expected of every other profession.

I shouldn't have to state that police shouldn't arrest people for hurt feelings, but here we are.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Dum Cumpster posted:

I treat everyone I interact with with equal respect (I'm pretty nice too!), but I don't understand what that has to do with believing that an adult on the job shouldn't throw a tantrum when dealing with a person they feel is being rude to them.

Because that's not reality, dude.

If you want evidence, check the police in the news for the last year alone.

Whether it's right (it's not) or wrong, police don't act the way you want them to, and they can shoot you if you don't act the way they want you to.

So why play with fire? Because they are *~*supposed*~* to act professional?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I guess the house I moved into is always going to have a lovely paint job. I mean that's how it is now. Just look at it!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Dum Cumpster posted:

I guess the house I moved into is always going to have a lovely paint job. I mean that's how it is now. Just look at it!

Your paint can't shoot you. You're arguing apples and oranges.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

Because that's not reality, dude.

If you want evidence, check the police in the news for the last year alone.

Whether it's right (it's not) or wrong, police don't act the way you want them to, and they can shoot you if you don't act the way they want you to.

This is only sensible, but in that case it seems to call for treating police as very dangerous, not associating with them, serving them at your business or permitting them to live in your communities.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

This is only sensible, but in that case it seems to call for treating police as very dangerous, not associating with them, serving them at your business or permitting them to live in your communities.

That doesn't sound very respectful, so you might get murdered for that and it will be all your fault.

Why play with fire?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

That doesn't sound very respectful, so you might get murdered for that and it will be all your fault.

Why play with fire?

I must not only comply with all police demands, I must invite them to my barbecue to avoid getting murdered. However because of "bad apples" there is a chance I will be murdered in any case. My barbecue-life exists in a quantum state, at the whim of Schrodinger's Cop.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cole posted:

If you're playing dumb it's working like gangbusters, you look really dumb.

Nobody is arguing that you should do anything to antagonize a cop. literally nobody.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Cole posted:

Your paint can't shoot you. You're arguing apples and oranges.

No sense talking about it then, let's all go back to bed.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

Exactly. And that's the point of reform.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cole posted:

Exactly. And that's the point of reform.

So are we allowed to talk about reform in this thread or not? Because I was sure you were leaning towards not but this post really threw me for a loop. Or are you just trolling?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What have I done to give you the opinion that I'm trolling?

That I said police need a reform? So anyone who says that must be a troll?

That I said people should comply with wha an officer says, if for no other reason than to increase their chances of not being killed?

Really? That's a troll?

Am I not allowed to be on your side on this issue without you thinking it's disingenuous and trolling? How do you ever expect people to be on your side if you literally don't let them?

Phone posting so I edited this on accident.

Cole fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cole posted:

Are you asking me to make the rules of the thread?

So option C then?

Cole posted:

That I said people should comply with wha an officer says, if for no other reason than to increase their chances of not being killed?

Really? That's a troll?

Yes, because people have repeatedly said that no one is arguing that she should not have put her cigarette out. You are literally talking to yourself.

Let's try this one more time. The reason it is being discussed in this thread is because:

1) A cop is a professional and should be able to handle minor "affronts" without going berserk.
2) A cop has all of the power in the relationship between cop and "civilian."
3) A cop does not get to dole out punishment for crimes, including those of the "smoking a cigarette while interacting with me" variety.

Again, no one is saying it was a smart idea to be rude and to not put out her cigarette when asked. There are not many people in the world who can't comprehend what I just said, so I assume you are trolling. And clearly I'm not the only one.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 26, 2015

• Locked thread