Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

rohan posted:

I've been out of Rodinal for months and it's a real pain having to actually think about ISO when developing film.

Which reminds me to ask: Aussie goons, where do you get your Rodinal? I've used Vanbar in the past but every time I go in there recently it's like we're performing the cheeseshop sketch. (And the fact two people there hadn't even heard of HC-110 isn't really a glowing endorsement.)

The old bastard at Vanbars flat out told me Kodak don't make HC-110 anymore, I was so dumbfounded I didn't bother arguing,

The last lot I got was from Blanco Negro (http://blanconegro.com.au/store/), where they have the Foma version of rodinal R09, Fomadon, which works exactly the same as any other version I've used. They're out of stock at the moment, but they guy who runs it is pretty responsive and friendly. Also in Fitzroy is Photo Resource, and they seem to stock Rodinal as well (http://www.photoresource.com.au/DARKROOM_CHEMICALS_s/1906.htm). And they've go all the alternative processing stuff too put together by Ellie from Goldstreet Studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Acros rules.

Church of the Nazarene by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Spedman posted:

The old bastard at Vanbars flat out told me Kodak don't make HC-110 anymore, I was so dumbfounded I didn't bother arguing,

The last lot I got was from Blanco Negro (http://blanconegro.com.au/store/), where they have the Foma version of rodinal R09, Fomadon, which works exactly the same as any other version I've used. They're out of stock at the moment, but they guy who runs it is pretty responsive and friendly. Also in Fitzroy is Photo Resource, and they seem to stock Rodinal as well (http://www.photoresource.com.au/DARKROOM_CHEMICALS_s/1906.htm). And they've go all the alternative processing stuff too put together by Ellie from Goldstreet Studios.
Awesome, thanks for that. A friend recommended Blanco Negro as well and I'll keep it bookmarked, but the order I just put in with photoresource should keep me going for a good while yet.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

So I am thinking about shooting some slide film in the 120 flavor. I dislike dealing with color reversal, and cannot make it look good after scanning. Figured that since slide film will be a thing of the past soon, and I don't shoot much color anyways, I would give it a try.
So what is left film stock wise? I think Velvia and Provia are the only ones left on the market? I hear that Velvia colors look like :lsd: and I have never used Provia besides the weird 400X type once.
I will be shooting overcast landscapes mostly. So, any suggestions?
Is it shoot for the highlights, and hope for the best type of film?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Provia
Velvia
Agfa Precisa
Rollei Digibase

Agfa Scala, if you want black and white slides.

Provia 400 is getting discontinued soon too, so stock up on that.

Expired film that is stored properly should be good too, as long as it's not kodachrome, since you can't process that anymore. Buy some Astia.

I'm thinking of selling off some of my Astia, maybe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Velvia 120 is godly. Hop on that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Wild EEPROM posted:

Provia
Velvia
Agfa Precisa
Rollei Digibase

Expired film that is stored properly should be good too, as long as it's not kodachrome, since you can't process that anymore. Buy some Astia.

Outside of Japan, Provia 400 is basically gone. Hard to say "stock up" when expired rolls are going for 20 per roll.
My recommendation is to buy a few rolls of each, shoot, and see what you like, it pretty personal. I like velvia 50 because of the colors while others think it is over saturated.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

Provia
Velvia
Agfa Precisa
Rollei Digibase

i've never shot digibase in 120, but i liked it a lot in 35mm. the only problem with it though is that it has an obnoxious piss yellow color cast, which takes a little juggling to get rid of in post.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

nm posted:

Outside of Japan, Provia 400 is basically gone. Hard to say "stock up" when expired rolls are going for 20 per roll.
My recommendation is to buy a few rolls of each, shoot, and see what you like, it pretty personal. I like velvia 50 because of the colors while others think it is over saturated.

5 packs of 35mm are usually like 45$ shipped from Japan if you jump on eBay or Amazon

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So it seems B&H are no longer shipping this Color Kit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109267-REG/Tetenal_T109306_C_41_Press_Kit_for.html

Is this one just as good or should I plan on going to NYC or finding a friend down there to pick it up for me?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/10123-Unicolor-Powder-C-41-Film-Negative-Processing-Kit-1-Liter

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The unicolor kit is the same formula as far as I know. It's a shame they are no longer shipping it (to Canada?). Luckily our local camera store in Calgary started selling the unicolor kit for about the same price as importing it from the U.S.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Ezekiel_980 posted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109267-REG/Tetenal_T109306_C_41_Press_Kit_for.html

Is this one just as good or should I plan on going to NYC or finding a friend down there to pick it up for me?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/10123-Unicolor-Powder-C-41-Film-Negative-Processing-Kit-1-Liter

I can't speak to the C-41 kit, but I am using a Unicolor E-6 Kit right now and it seems to be as stable and effective as the Tetanal kit and came with much better directions.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I've used the Tetenal one a bunch of times and have been pretty happy with it, and I get the feeling the Unicolor one is going to be very similar.

My favourite kits are the Rollei Digibase C-41 kits, as they've got great instructions, even for processing at room temperature, and the chemicals un-mixed last for ages even after opening are partially using the kit, hence getting the big one is good value:
http://www.macodirect.de/colour-chemistry-c-765_767.html?osCsid=0d5da4712264915c63cee332dd2be4e6

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
tooth by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Spedman posted:

I've used the Tetenal one a bunch of times and have been pretty happy with it, and I get the feeling the Unicolor one is going to be very similar.

My favourite kits are the Rollei Digibase C-41 kits, as they've got great instructions, even for processing at room temperature, and the chemicals un-mixed last for ages even after opening are partially using the kit, hence getting the big one is good value:
http://www.macodirect.de/colour-chemistry-c-765_767.html?osCsid=0d5da4712264915c63cee332dd2be4e6

unfortunately no one this side of the pond seems to have it, I've read that the unicolor and tetenal are the same. with one being a rebrand of the other so i'll get the unicolor.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Ezekiel_980 posted:

unfortunately no one this side of the pond seems to have it, I've read that the unicolor and tetenal are the same. with one being a rebrand of the other so i'll get the unicolor.

http://www.argentix.ca/Rolleic41e6.php?=SID&mqry=sp002.5.56

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ok so no one if the US

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I think I mis-assumed where you lived. I must've confused you with a different poster

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Its not a bad kit, I've always felt the negatives were little thin using it, but they scan well. Here's a bunch of examples of my results with it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrstudent/sets/72157634108704789
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrstudent/sets/72157654735789685

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Does anybody know if the numbers are correct in the reciprocity app for portra 400? For example one minute reads 3:47. I have used this app multiple times but my portra night shots come out washed out and I'm wondering if it's my metering or if the numbers are incorrect.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

pootiebigwang posted:

Does anybody know if the numbers are correct in the reciprocity app for portra 400? For example one minute reads 3:47. I have used this app multiple times but my portra night shots come out washed out and I'm wondering if it's my metering or if the numbers are incorrect.

That number is correct.

If your night shots are washed out/overexposed, there's something else going on. How are you metering? Are you scanning your negs yourself? If so, are you using automatic inversion through Epson Scan/Vuescan/Silverfast or are you following the Dorkroom-approved method of scanning as positive and then using levels/curves?

edit:
reposting this again, it's my plot of my data that was incorporated into the reciprocity app thanks to ansel autisms submitting it

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 29, 2015

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

img658

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Welp, looks like I'm getting into a new hobby.

I picked up this camera dirt-cheap last Thursday. Came with two lenses, a tripod, and an expired (2009!) roll of Kodak Portra 400NC. This is my first "real" film camera, and I'm hoping to get some good use out of it. As far as accessories go, I know I need a strap and a light meter, maybe a flash, and I should probably try to snag a manual off Amazon; I already have a bag. Anything else I need? I'm not worrying about developing yet; there's still a lab in town that processes medium-format film.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 29, 2015

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Meaty Ore posted:

I picked up this camera dirt-cheap last Thursday. Came with two lenses, a tripod, and an expired (2009!) roll of Kodak Portra 400NC. This is my first "real" film camera, and I'm hoping to get some good use out of it. As far as accessories go, I know I need a strap and a light meter, maybe a flash, and I should probably try to snag a manual off Amazon; I already have a bag. Anything else I need? I'm not worrying about developing yet; there's still a lab in town that processes medium-format film.

Your phone is your light meter and your manual. http://butkus.org/chinon/hasselblad.htm

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sutro Baths by Norman Lee, on Flickr

Road trip by Norman Lee, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Meaty Ore posted:

That's quite a way to start, congrats! I'd say all you need is some fresh film and you're good to go.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You got the best camera and the best film (could use a fresher roll tho).

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Ordered a box of 400h and I haven't shot it before, looks like overexposing is A-OK?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

That number is correct.

If your night shots are washed out/overexposed, there's something else going on. How are you metering? Are you scanning your negs yourself? If so, are you using automatic inversion through Epson Scan/Vuescan/Silverfast or are you following the Dorkroom-approved method of scanning as positive and then using levels/curves?

edit:
reposting this again, it's my plot of my data that was incorporated into the reciprocity app thanks to ansel autisms submitting it

Yeah scanning my negs myself and I do it the tried and true way of scanning as a pos and using curves and levels in photoshop. I meter with a D600 on spot mode as my incident meter (Polaris SPD100) unfortunately just errors out when I try to use it at night. I usually expose for my highlights yet my images still come back overexposed. I usually have to do math and I will meter a scene at 30 sec and make adjustments to my time based of aperture. So if my meter reads f5.6 at 30sec I will do 1 min for f8, 2min at f11 and etc. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I feel like it is super simple. Is it a matter of getting really close to the highlight to get the proper reading? I do sometimes meter from a distance, like when shooting a house or something but I do point my D600 directly at the highlight.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Unless your scan is blown out you likely just aren't applying a strong enough curve. I'm assuming it just looks "bright" vs. actually clipping out.

Also consider that - regardless of how your method fits into what's "tried and true" - just use what works. If you're consistently feeling that your images are overexposed, why not just start underexposing a stop?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

pootiebigwang posted:

This is a shot that was metered at 1m f/32 and exposed at 4m.

Red Apple Lounge by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Where can I find this reciprocity app?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thoogsby posted:

Where can I find this reciprocity app?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reciprocity-timer/id459691262?mt=8

If you're an Android user like me you just use the calculator or your memory :smug:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I had a couple gear scores this week that I feel like bragging about.

Found somebody selling a black Nikon FE2 with an attached 24mm 2.8 AI-s lens for $80. The body's light meter doesn't work so it's going on ebay and I'm keeping the lens, which is near mint.

Then today I found somebody selling their Nikon F2 and pre-AI 50mm 1.4 for $50. Both the body and lens are maybe KEH BGN quality.

Those two, along with my 105 2.5, I am getting quite the nice little collection of Nikkor primes. :clint:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

This is a dumb question but how do you guys let the lab know a roll was shot at a pushed ISO? Write it on the roll or do you trust the person who takes it from you to not gently caress it up?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thoogsby posted:

This is a dumb question but how do you guys let the lab know a roll was shot at a pushed ISO? Write it on the roll or do you trust the person who takes it from you to not gently caress it up?

I would write "PUSH +1" (or however many stops) on the label and tell the person to whom I'm giving the film.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I found a new way to process negatives that takes a lot of the guesswork out of it (for me at least). It's essentially the same concept as the video in the OP, but there's a slightly different approach to get there. I'll outline the method here and I'm curious for you guys to try it out. It works amazingly for me.

1. Start with a positive scan
  2. Add a new levels adjustment layer and sample the pure orange base (between frames) using the white point eye dropper set to 11x11 average. The orange base should now be pure white.
  3. Add an invert adjustment layer
  4. Add a curves adjustment layer (the below substeps only need to be done once)
    1. Click the top right arrow in the new curves adjustment panel to open the menu
    2. Click "Auto Options..."
    3. Check "Enhance Per Channel Contrast", check "Snap Neutral Midtones, Set Shadows Clip level to 0.01, and set Highlights Clip level to 0.01
    4. Check "Save as Defaults" and press OK (settings should look like this - (http://i.imgur.com/HzD7bGD.png)
  5. Crop your image so none of the film borders are showing
  6. Click the auto button in the curves panel

You can see this essentially clips your individual RGB channels, but it's automatic and usually gets me very very very close to the correct color correction each time. Not to mention it's a way faster workflow. You could add most of these steps to an action.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
:raise: How is that faster than setting white/black points on each of three color channels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Maybe you've gotten hella fast at switching between each channel, holding alt and moving each slider towards the middle until it begins to clip, but I am still slow at it. Plus if you don't get each clipping value exactly right, you get bad color casts. It's way faster for me :P