Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not in Orlando, the outlying country roads around it.

I can't remember exactly where, all I remember is driving through those areas and having fun. I test drove an ITB'd Miata for Fuji Racing years ago in that area and had a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryhampster posted:

It is GLORIOUS, and way too big for our 1300 sq ft place.

If it was really way too big it wouldn't be glorious at all (it would short cycle and not control humidity properly).

Congrats on your PO hiring a competent HVAC company and footing the bill for quality work.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This week needs to be over. Time to get some taco's and drink.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ilkhan posted:

This is the rear end in a top hat father-in-law, right? At least it will be quick.
If its not, my condolences.

Yup, the jerk has got it pretty bad. Karma I guess. Be a truly lovely person and life will poo poo right in your goddamned mouth.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There are some nice roads in Clermont, which is SW of Orlando. Seminole and Orange counties were meh as a whole.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shiiiiiiiit, Cradle came out!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
(Hopefully) snagged a US General 4 drawer tool cart for $20. Going to pick it up tomorrow night when I get off work. I know it's the Harbor Freight brand, but for 20 bucks it can't be bad.

Drawers are unlocked, but there's no keys to the lock. Any idea if I can get replacements?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I just noticed that one of my car-guy friends loses his ability to recognize cars when he's hammered.
He thought a normal face-lifted E46 was an M3, and then said a 1 series was a new 3 series. Well, I guess it's not that severe, but still funny.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

"So I looked it up, turns out there's an actual reason why babies cry on airplanes, and it's because they're upset that gay people are gettin' married."

Louis C.K. :allears:

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

meatpimp posted:

I took a chance and bought a newer (mid-'90s) Shopsmith Mark V. The seller started out at $1000 on craigslist and I watched it for a while. Picked it up a couple days ago for $500 and when I got there she had a matching dust collector that didn't work that she threw in. I focused on the dust collector first, got it "fixed," as in "pushed the spade terminal back on the power switch" and sold it in a day for $250.

So I'm into the rest of the stuff for $250. I just got in from another 4 hours grinding, spraying and cleaning the parts and the damned thing looks like new... well worth the two days of sweaty, dirty work. Now I've got to get it set up to do some work and decide the first project for it.

I'd rather have space for a full set of shop tools, but if I can get this to be good and reliable, it may work out alright. :unsmith:

Nice on the Shopsmith! I was looking at one of those years ago but didn't really have the room at the time.

On the dust collector... I am sure that the unit that you got was hot garbage for wood work but good dust collection is a very good thing. Wood dust is not good for you and you can develop a nasty sensitivity to it. Pretty much no inexpensive dust collection/filter system is going to be useful as they will all let through the fine particles that are an issue for your lungs. The only way I have found to do this in a relatively cheap way is to have the dust collector exhaust outside (through a basic filter). The filter bag systems are totally useless and I would not touch one. You need a HEPA type filter if you want to recirculate shop air and you better have a really good cyclone separator to keep from plugging them up all the time.

Most of the people that develop sensitivities are serious hobbyists or professional workers but it is good aware of the potential issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

There are some nice roads in Clermont, which is SW of Orlando. Seminole and Orange counties were meh as a whole.

Now that you mention it, I think it was Clermont where I test drove that Miata.

Phone posted:

Grover lite over here.

Your PMs are full jerk, clean 'em out :colbert:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

Our power bill jumped from $160 to $360 due to summer weather. I need to get the HVAC system re-done and some other stuff.

My power bill, for a 1700 sq. ft. house in Phoenix, AZ, jumped from $30.37 to $72.09. This solar thing is working out pretty loving good. :smug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

My power bill, for a 1700 sq. ft. house in Phoenix, AZ, jumped from $30.37 to $72.09. This solar thing is working out pretty loving good. :smug:
In Phoenix my normalized bill for 1200 sq feet is 105 with no solar. The nest works well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got bitten by the neighbours loving cat after it got itself stuck in my cat trap. Little shits been pissing on my doors and upsetting my two cats.

$65 later at the doctors for a tetanus shot and a course of antibiotics. Not loving happy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ferremit posted:

Got bitten by the neighbours loving cat after it got itself stuck in my cat trap. Little shits been pissing on my doors and upsetting my two cats.

$65 later at the doctors for a tetanus shot and a course of antibiotics. Not loving happy.

You in Canada or something because in :911: that poo poo would be like $250

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5098920178.html

Gonna shoot him a seriously low ball offer and see what happens. If its been up for 25 days and nobody has bitten, its either a poo poo heap nobody but a complete idiot would want to actually have or some other terrible factor. What is the worst that can happen?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

I've got some real nice scars on my hand from the cat recently. He's come to see me as his captor or something. I was helping the stupid bugger off the roof and down the tree at night. Picked him up, all purring and happy. Take a few steps toward the house and he went full Freddy Kruger on me.

I'm so loving sore today after finishing replacing a lower ball joint. It just didn't want to happen. What I read said the old one should just slide out against the rubber of the CV boot and the new one should do the same. Yeah, no. I had to use a rubber mallet and drift to get the old one out and a shitton of pounding on the new one, wiggling it, moving the ball joint, twisting it and rotating the axle. Got it all together and couldn't do the new nylock nut on the taper up because the taper was spinning. Put the wheel on and dropped it to put some pressure on it. Couldn't get the drat socket in there. Ended up using a shifting spanner. I really have to get all the work done so I can re-register the Niva. I hate having to borrow the Jeep.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

In Phoenix my normalized bill for 1200 sq feet is 105 with no solar. The nest works well.

Mine was normalized to $152 before solar (2 years ago). I was using a programmable thermostat, keeping the house at 79 when I was in it, and 85 during the work day. Now I work a fair number of days at home, so I dumped the day-time programming, and keep the house at 76~77 all the time. Except for this bill through September, my bills are $25-$30. The higher bills during the summer are for off-peak, as I have more than enough on-peak credits to get me through the hot months without paying for a single Kwh of on-peak power.

If I average it out over the entire year, including the cost of the solar, I'm about $35~$40 ahead per month. This will be my first full year where I can do a true Jan-Dec comparison, as it was installed part way through 2014.

Also, I have no idea what 'the nest' means in your post. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a nest thermostat, and keep the house at 71-72 when we're home, and 80 from noon-7. It does a good job of off peak pre-cooling, and predicts how long it will take based on weather forecasts and adjusts accordingly.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Geirskogul posted:

You in Canada or something because in :911: that poo poo would be like $250

Glorious communist republic of Australia- the doctor even bulk bills so the government picks up the tab for the consult with zero co payment and I only had to pay for the tetanus vaccine and the antibiotics, both of which are subsidised by the government!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Ferremit posted:

Glorious communist republic of Australia- the doctor even bulk bills so the government picks up the tab for the consult with zero co payment and I only had to pay for the tetanus vaccine and the antibiotics, both of which are subsidised by the government!

Gotta love our healthcare.

Best friend's 1989 MX-5 has developed a lifter tap when cold. Boo-urns. Thing has 275k km/170k miles on it, and was not treated very well for most of that time, so not hugely surprising.
E: Poured a bottle of "lifter stop tap" into the oil. Figure it can't make things any worse. Seems to have stopped for now.

Next step is probably going to be ripping the engine/trans out and rebuilding the engine, throw in some titanium valve springs for 9krpm operation, etc - I'm trying to talk him into a 13B swap (:getin:) but he's wussing out.

But then he's insisting that it makes more sense to put a supercharger on the thing than a turbo, which may be true if you don't account for all the time and effort people have put into making turbocharging them easy and modern turbocharger technology not really having throttle response issues :smith:

Some people just don't know what's good for them, dang it.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 25, 2015

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Motronic posted:

If it was really way too big it wouldn't be glorious at all (it would short cycle and not control humidity properly).

Congrats on your PO hiring a competent HVAC company and footing the bill for quality work.

Maybe it's not too big, but it's physically enormous compared to our next-door-neighbor's unit. It's definitely efficient though. We had an HVAC tech come out 2 weeks ago to fix some wiring on the furnace blower, and even he was impressed with it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Catte

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I SHALL RIDE THIS CHARIOT TO THE GATES OF VALHALLA!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

QuarkMartial posted:

(Hopefully) snagged a US General 4 drawer tool cart for $20. Going to pick it up tomorrow night when I get off work. I know it's the Harbor Freight brand, but for 20 bucks it can't be bad.

Drawers are unlocked, but there's no keys to the lock. Any idea if I can get replacements?
What do they look like? Swapping out a lock isn't that big of a deal. Does it have any numbers/letters stamped on the front of the lock cylinder?

Elmnt80 posted:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/5098920178.html

Gonna shoot him a seriously low ball offer and see what happens. If its been up for 25 days and nobody has bitten, its either a poo poo heap nobody but a complete idiot would want to actually have or some other terrible factor. What is the worst that can happen?

That's a beaut!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Catpics remind me that we need a name for the dogge we adopted yesterday. He's a 2 year old heeler, only 30 lbs and the best disposition I've ever seen... No idea how he stayed in the shelter for 24 days.

They named him "Rugby", the wife and I are leaning towards "Bubbles" (who's got your belly?), but drat if Nux wouldn't be a pretty good name too.

Or Dogmeat :getin:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

literally a fish posted:

But then he's insisting that it makes more sense to put a supercharger on the thing than a turbo, which may be true if you don't account for all the time and effort people have put into making turbocharging them easy and modern turbocharger technology not really having throttle response issues :smith:

On the other hand though, supercharger.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

scuz posted:

What do they look like? Swapping out a lock isn't that big of a deal. Does it have any numbers/letters stamped on the front of the lock cylinder?

I've not picked it up yet so I'm not sure. I was thinking that I might could call and give the serial off the lock and get replacement keys or a replacement lock. Not that big a deal though, I just want it for the sake of completeness.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

literally a fish posted:

Gotta love our healthcare.

Best friend's 1989 MX-5 has developed a lifter tap when cold. Boo-urns. Thing has 275k km/170k miles on it, and was not treated very well for most of that time, so not hugely surprising.
E: Poured a bottle of "lifter stop tap" into the oil. Figure it can't make things any worse. Seems to have stopped for now.

Next step is probably going to be ripping the engine/trans out and rebuilding the engine, throw in some titanium valve springs for 9krpm operation, etc - I'm trying to talk him into a 13B swap (:getin:) but he's wussing out.

On the other hand.. have you heard how sweet a supercharger sounds

Plus it's not like supercharged miatas are slow, they are still fast as poo poo

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

literally a fish posted:

Best friend's 1989 Every MX-5 has developed a lifter tap when cold.

Mine goes away with new oil so I can actually use it as an audible oil change indicator. Car's a tapping? Oil change!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

RillAkBea posted:

Mine goes away with new oil so I can actually use it as an audible oil change indicator. Car's a tapping? Oil change!

Mine with a built 1.6 was set up loose for big boost... so I could never hear the lifter tap over the piston slap when cold. :D

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Pham Nuwen posted:

Catpics remind me that we need a name for the dogge we adopted yesterday. He's a 2 year old heeler, only 30 lbs and the best disposition I've ever seen... No idea how he stayed in the shelter for 24 days.

They named him "Rugby", the wife and I are leaning towards "Bubbles" (who's got your belly?), but drat if Nux wouldn't be a pretty good name too.

Or Dogmeat :getin:

Pics? I love my heeler because she is so smart and usually pretty obedient, but she's also super needy and attention-seeking. I named her Turbo because it fit her personality, but other names in the running were Sierra, Hunter, and Nordy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My rescue dogge is watching you.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

I had a BG chassis Protege with the 1.8L BP, and it had the same thing. Lifter tick that would go away with new oil. Just Mazda things :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bandman posted:

I had a BG chassis Protege with the 1.8L BP, and it had the same thing. Lifter tick that would go away with new oil. Just Mazda things :allears:

Yeah my Miata has been loud lately, in fact one lifter in particular never shuts the hell up. I don't think it likes the Rotella, back to 10w30 I guess.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
A wild Mercedes appears!

Doing brakes and aircon today, PPI on Tuesday. Two buyers lined up on my 15k ask. Everything's gotta be right. Tell you what, I much prefer selling old Hondas and IH trucks. No-one scrutineers the poo poo out of you like vintage Merc buyers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
leica: it was nothing spectacular, apparently mnet doesn't let you edit posts after an hour :v:

RillAkBea posted:

Not really. Using the HLA tick as an indicator as to when to change your oil doesn't hold up to scrutiny since it's caused by a poor engineering choice. Unless if you pull apart the HLAs (or use the Kia p/n for new ones), it's caused by oil that was once in there like 60k miles ago. Just use a high quality synthetic and change is at 5k; the Miata motor is dumb dumb dumb dumb and stuff like the "change your oil when your lifters tick!" is just conjecture made up by mnetters to make them feel better about themselves.

That said, I'm assuming that your oil is at the appropriate level because the HLAs will make noise if you're down a quart (or two). Just consider it a design flaw that gives the Miata more character.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

First rain in my 2015 Focus! What's this, the wipers are kinda hosed? Quality is job #1 at ford!!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I know a lot of you are IT types.

Switching my internet to TWC 200mbit. I have a choice of 4 modems I can buy - I've ruled out one of them due to price, so I'm left with a Motorola/Arris SB6183, SMC D3CM1604, or Netgear CM500-100NAS

Thoughts? The SMC and Netgear are more attractive simply because of the price ($99 for either of them on Amazon, vs $132 for the Arris), and I really don't like how little info I've been able to get out of the Motorola modems I've had in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I could be very wrong but Motorola/Arris always seem to be the go to modems.

• Locked thread