Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Jimi

The answer is Jimi

I handle the killin', you handle the riffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Payday 2 doesn't have gore like those other games, which is what got them censored (although that doesn't keep a lot of pretty creepy people in the thread from asking for it to be added)

I thought it did, I was just pulling random stuff off my Steam library. Replace with Space Marine then which has you literally sawing Orks in half.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Morglon posted:

I thought it did, I was just pulling random stuff off my Steam library. Replace with Space Marine then which has you literally sawing Orks in half.

Brutally eviscerating Orks is an essential gameplay mechanic if I remember correctly. It's how you heal yourself.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Aleph Null posted:

Brutally eviscerating Orks is an essential gameplay mechanic if I remember correctly. It's how you heal yourself.

Until you get to the later half of the game and fight Chaos Marines and their little renegade trooper buddies. Which, coincidentally, was my complaint about the game. You get set up as a nearly immortal armored behemoth of a man that can't die as long as there are goblins to stomp and orks to slam your chainsword through, but as soon as these guys show up, you get focus fired to death if you charge them, so now you're playing a cover shooter. The kind of game it was marketed as an alternative to. The multiplayer was pretty fun, but the utter lack of voiced lines beyond power-grunts was pretty disappointing for a setting full of soldiers that scream for blood for their blood god, or chanting litanies of hate while gunning down rebels.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Until you get to the later half of the game and fight Chaos Marines and their little renegade trooper buddies. Which, coincidentally, was my complaint about the game. You get set up as a nearly immortal armored behemoth of a man that can't die as long as there are goblins to stomp and orks to slam your chainsword through, but as soon as these guys show up, you get focus fired to death if you charge them, so now you're playing a cover shooter. The kind of game it was marketed as an alternative to. The multiplayer was pretty fun, but the utter lack of voiced lines beyond power-grunts was pretty disappointing for a setting full of soldiers that scream for blood for their blood god, or chanting litanies of hate while gunning down rebels.

:orks101: That's what makes space marines so goddamn tactical - Shooting for the shooty bits, choppy for da choppy bitz, Wagh fo' DA WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!! :orks:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I would pay a great deal of money to play nearly any genre of game if it was about orks. The Ork Scrolls. Final Orktasy. GorkaMorkaLands. A Mek game where you blast apart competitors to take their bits and build a gargant.

My PYF thing dragging this game down is that Orks are a criminally underused concept.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I would pay a great deal of money to play nearly any genre of game if it was about orks. The Ork Scrolls. Final Orktasy. GorkaMorkaLands. A Mek game where you blast apart competitors to take their bits and build a gargant.

My PYF thing dragging this game down is that Orks are a criminally underused concept.

An Ork Forever Waggggghing
Grim Orkdando

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well yeah my point being it's super bloody and you pretty much get covered in that poo poo but somehow that didn't bother German censors at all. It's all kind of uneven.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I would buy a game day one if it was Warhammer 40k Ork Boyz.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I would love a game like that, especially if I get to play as The Gretchin Revolutionary Committee. Orks are the one thing GW hasn't ruined yet in 40k.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Morglon posted:

Well yeah my point being it's super bloody and you pretty much get covered in that poo poo but somehow that didn't bother German censors at all. It's all kind of uneven.

"fantasy violence"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The orks in Warhammer 40k: Space Marine were really, really annoying. Instead of being the wacky, so-stupid-they're-genius psychopaths they are in the rest of the media, they're just generic monsters with repetitive lines and FAR TOO MANY ROCKET LAUNCHERS JESUS gently caress ENOUGH WITH THE loving ROCKET LAUNCHERS YOU ASSHOLES.

It's a game that started with potential and quickly went down the tubes.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Screaming Idiot posted:

The orks in Warhammer 40k: Space Marine were really, really annoying. Instead of being the wacky, so-stupid-they're-genius psychopaths they are in the rest of the media, they're just generic monsters with repetitive lines and FAR TOO MANY ROCKET LAUNCHERS JESUS gently caress ENOUGH WITH THE loving ROCKET LAUNCHERS YOU ASSHOLES.

It's a game that started with potential and quickly went down the tubes.

My only complaint about Speesh Mahreen was that the Orks weren't Orky enough.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

WAAAAAGGGH OF DUTY

My complaint is for the riddler in arkham knight. I hate the riddler. I know it's just who he is but he's like a little brother who thinks he's cool but really sucks. His puzzles aren't a challenge and every time you best him he both can't believe it and you'll never do it again.

pop fly to McGillicutty has a new favorite as of 12:49 on Jul 25, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

"fantasy violence"

Oh so you mean just because they're green and talk funny and aren't actually people they're not people? That's just racist.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Morglon posted:

Oh so you mean just because they're green and talk funny and aren't actually people they're not people? That's just racist.

gently caress you.

It's specieist.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Thing dragging Condemned down: every time I play it I get upset because I remember that no other games have made first-person melee combat with quite the same weight and speed. :smith:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

My only complaint about Speesh Mahreen was that the Orks weren't Orky enough.

I accidentally said this out loud and I cannot stop laughing; beware

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I rented Neverdead because I remembered hearing about the concept and thinking it sounded pretty cool.

I learned there's a reason nobody remembers Neverdead.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Brain In A Jar posted:

I rented Neverdead because I remembered hearing about the concept and thinking it sounded pretty cool.

Neverdead was amazing on paper, and then you get in game where it's just this guy being dragged around by a bimbo who doesn't know how to close her shirt...and then you meet another underdressed (and possibly underaged looking) bimbo who's a popstar that might be the reincarnation of his wife???? Who even knows.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Heavy Lobster posted:

Thing dragging Condemned down: every time I play it I get upset because I remember that no other games have made first-person melee combat with quite the same weight and speed. :smith:

Zeno Clash and Breakdown?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Morpheus posted:

Zeno Clash and Breakdown?

Zeno Clash owns a lot and gets the weight of it down, but the encounter system is definitely meant for more drag-out fights than every enemy being potentially life and death if you gently caress up. Breakdown I've never gotten a chance to play because I just can't find it anywhere not online and don't want to drag out my Oxbox, but if it's good I may have to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

I remember Neverdead. It is absolutely abysmal. I don't know how far you are but it mechanically gets worse and worse. It is like a gaping chasm of terrible design decisions and it's only when you've fallen to where you think you're at the bottom that it turns out to be half-way.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Neverdead was amazing on paper, and then you get in game where it's just this guy being dragged around by a bimbo who doesn't know how to close her shirt...and then you meet another underdressed (and possibly underaged looking) bimbo who's a popstar that might be the reincarnation of his wife???? Who even knows.

those bimbos. what a bunch of bimbos.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

I remember Neverdead. It is absolutely abysmal. I don't know how far you are but it mechanically gets worse and worse. It is like a gaping chasm of terrible design decisions and it's only when you've fallen to where you think you're at the bottom that it turns out to be half-way.

I just beat the long, boring and uninspired boss that has weak points you need to to access, but the game hints are vague enough, and the game buggy enough, that you accidentally score a hit and then spend 20 minutes running around confused, trying desperately to replicate what you did before, like some kind of cargo cult tribe member, then you get sick of being exploded into a pile of limbs and rolling your head over to your torso only to find that the hitbox won't let you connect so you have to blast your way to the other side of the room and try again to avoid the vacuum cleaner game-over spineballs, then getting tired of this so you go to look it up on gamefaqs but the game is so dire that no-one has ever even written a gamefaqs guide, leaving you to go to some shady-rear end GameCheats site and find the inane forums postings of some weirdo who actually enjoyed this shitshow and try to decipher what the hell they meant when they typed out this vague and typo-ridden mess of an internet comment, then go back and figure out the gimmick by yourself, which in hindsight was obvious, but only in one of those 'it's really obvious, all you have to do is do the thing that's really easy when you have prior knowledge' kind of way, then get to the second phase, which involves you hurling a piece of your body across the room and hoping that the boss AI RNG decides that today's your lucky day to do the one attack that lets the weak point appear and you can knock out maybe 1/5 of its hit points and do this whole loving debacle over again.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Brain In A Jar posted:

I just beat the long, boring and uninspired boss that has weak points you need to to access, but the game hints are vague enough, and the game buggy enough, that you accidentally score a hit and then spend 20 minutes running around confused, trying desperately to replicate what you did before, like some kind of cargo cult tribe member, then you get sick of being exploded into a pile of limbs and rolling your head over to your torso only to find that the hitbox won't let you connect so you have to blast your way to the other side of the room and try again to avoid the vacuum cleaner game-over spineballs, then getting tired of this so you go to look it up on gamefaqs but the game is so dire that no-one has ever even written a gamefaqs guide, leaving you to go to some shady-rear end GameCheats site and find the inane forums postings of some weirdo who actually enjoyed this shitshow and try to decipher what the hell they meant when they typed out this vague and typo-ridden mess of an internet comment, then go back and figure out the gimmick by yourself, which in hindsight was obvious, but only in one of those 'it's really obvious, all you have to do is do the thing that's really easy when you have prior knowledge' kind of way, then get to the second phase, which involves you hurling a piece of your body across the room and hoping that the boss AI RNG decides that today's your lucky day to do the one attack that lets the weak point appear and you can knock out maybe 1/5 of its hit points and do this whole loving debacle over again.

Sounds like my first date.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That reminds me of the time when I picked up a cheap copy of Daikatana and got horribly stuck near the end of the second act. The game was mostly linear levels up to that point, but then they took advantage of the Quake 2 engine technology to go back and forth between levels. You also had some puzzles like Hexen where doing something in one area would change something in a different area.

Anyway, I got stuck and since Daikatana was a pretty reviled game there were no walkthroughs to help me out. Not even Gamespy's PlanetDaikatana was of any use, since their guide was extremely bare bones. This was also before YouTube, so no videos by that one dude who loves the game way too much to the point that you'd suspect him to be a serial killer in the making.

There were cheats to skip levels, but that forced you to use more cheats to power up the sword because skipping levels would reset it and basically by that point you realize you are putting way too much effort in a game that is poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

1stGear posted:

Yeah, while Jimi blasts out a rad-as-gently caress rendition of America the Beautiful, Tekla actually kills a bunch of Nazis. I know which one I want in my underground resistance bunker.

:stare: I... need to play more Wolfenstein...

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm one of those people that has to run through every side quest in open world games and Witcher III is really killing me for it. There's so much to do and I'm only in the first area (after the tutorial) and have no way of telling if something is my level or not.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Unless you disabled parts of the UI, it should be fairly obvious. Enemies will have a red skull if they're out of your range. Though I found I could still manage if I was careful and/or it was mostly one on one fights.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Oh I know when they are out of my level range but not until I get all the way there, then I can't tell the difference between what I've done and what I skipped because of it being to high level.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The forced Russian Roulette segment in Lisa sucks rear end and totally mashes with the tone of the rest of the game. I have literally no idea why it is even a thing beyond being a dumping spot for superflous party members later.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Oh I know when they are out of my level range but not until I get all the way there, then I can't tell the difference between what I've done and what I skipped because of it being to high level.

If you are talking about quests in your quest log, those have recommended levels displayed. If you're talking about the points of interest marked on the map, then yes, you don't know what level they are until you go there, but you can tell which ones you've done and which ones you've skipped. If you complete a point of interest, it becomes grayed out on the map.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was asked to upload some Lords of the Fallen screenshots to explain why I'm frustrated and if I'm just a scrub that needs to git gud.

You can see my gear and level at the first one. I'm getting a bonus to my attack since my Agility is 14 and only required 8 for the item to work.

These pics are taken after several attempts at busting these guys down. The only reason they are lower HP than the 3 and 2 indicated is because I used my gauntlet to attack them with a projectile. These guys are staggered or after-animation, so I'm not getting the "thunk" armored hit on these. These are connecting for literally 1 damage, and thats a 3 hit combo.

I really want to like this game, the combat is a lot of fun! But hitting 10 times for 10 damage, and being riposte for 80 and near instant death is not fun. Its just stupid difficult.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jastiger posted:

I was asked to upload some Lords of the Fallen screenshots to explain why I'm frustrated and if I'm just a scrub that needs to git gud.

You can see my gear and level at the first one. I'm getting a bonus to my attack since my Agility is 14 and only required 8 for the item to work.

These pics are taken after several attempts at busting these guys down. The only reason they are lower HP than the 3 and 2 indicated is because I used my gauntlet to attack them with a projectile. These guys are staggered or after-animation, so I'm not getting the "thunk" armored hit on these. These are connecting for literally 1 damage, and thats a 3 hit combo.

I really want to like this game, the combat is a lot of fun! But hitting 10 times for 10 damage, and being riposte for 80 and near instant death is not fun. Its just stupid difficult.

Yeah those are knights. You have to hit them from behind to do damage. They kinda have giant shields? See? You need to get behind them and not hit the shield. Or do a charge attack to knock them off balance and beat the poo poo out of them.

Sorry but you're just bad. :cmon: If you're doing that little damage you're doing something wrong. In this case you need to learn his attacks and get behind him to do damage. Knights are not basic enemies, they're a little tougher. They're like the grown up version of the shieldmasters you run into earlier in the level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In Dark Souls style you can go multiple directions and if you run into massively harder enemies, maybe try going a different direction?

Its like you went into New Londo Ruins first, if those knights are kicking your rear end try going the other direction.

But you can totally kill those knights, they're just hard early on.
Not really all that different from the first boss in many ways. Or from the other shield enemies, just much tougher.

How did you beat the first boss?

And obviously you do like 3 damage if you hit them in the giant shield. Like, duh.
And you can't just circle strafe around them hoping they'll get lazy and forget about you.
You have to bait attacks and avoid them and counter-attack.

You're really early in the game still.

https://youtu.be/ex_57pSV8vg?t=5m11s

See how he does like 5 damage when he hits the shield, and like 58 damage otherwise?

Jastiger posted:

Its not stupid difficult, its just wrong. You're trying to force a square peg through a round hole. Consider that maybe there's alternatives. Like going somewhere else. Or fighting a different way.

I mean, those guys are a bit tough to fight, it is a little hard yeah, but you're definitely NOT supposed to just whittle them down by doing 1 damage at a time. Instead really pick your swings and learn his animations and he'll go down in like 4 hits.

But that said if you've only beaten one or two bosses, just try going a different direction dude. Explore more. You can come back to that area later. I assume you haven't beaten more bosses because you should be higher level and have better weapons if you did.

Have you played any souls games before?

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Jul 27, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I decided to try out Planetside 2 today on the PS4 and its super stupid how the game doesn't have a goddamn tutorial to explain anything at all. Also the options are terrible seeing as there's no way to adjust the hud when it goes off screen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Those are some of the hardest enemies in the game so don't be discouraged that they're kind of ridiculous. Looking at where you are, I'm pretty sure that bit is optional and you're intended to do it much later. There's another way to go very near that checkpoint which is where you actually need to go, unless I'm misremembering, so look around for that.

I found the easiest way to kill those enemies was to equip a small shield and parry/riposte them. If you've played dark souls, it pretty much works the same way as in that game. When they swing at you, hit them with your shield parry just before their attack would hit you. That knocks their attack away and stuns them so you can do a riposte. I believe only small shields can do this since the other shields do a bash instead of a parry. But you don't actually ever have to fight them until a ways later.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, now we know what enemies you're facing it's definitely the "strongest regular enemies in the game" problem you're having. Even at higher levels those guys can take a lot of damage and hit for a bunch in return - ignore them for now and go down towards the snowy grave. Progression isn't marked particularly clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the advice guys. And id do Combos behind and it still did like. ..5 damage per hit. I've bean both dark souls and am familiar with the play which is why I was so frustrated. I'd dodge roll and combo and it'd Jusy be a plink plink.

I was following a walk through and I didn't see another direction to go. The mission said get Las low or whatever so I am kind of lost there, haha. I'll try another way, but it involves a ton of backtracking.

I beat two bosses and they took forever to kill too. The warden? Took like 30 minutes.