Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Incidentally, there was a time when popular NRx :airquote:Grey Tribe:airquote: person Nydwracu was carrying a torch about something he called "Crocodile Humor" as seen in this blogpost https://nydwracu.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/dan-savage-is-a-crocodile/.

What is Crocodile Humor you ask? Let's ask good ol' Mencius Moldbug to define it:

Moldbug posted:

Crocodile humor is the laughter of the powerful at the powerless. It is not intended to be funny. It is intended to intimidate. Those who laugh, as many do, are those who love to submerge themselves in a mob, feel its strength as theirs, chant and shake their spears as one.

This is, of course, completely foreign to the neo-reactionary movement, who would never stoop to such tactics.

oh how did this link get here again oh my

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Incidentally, there was a time when popular NRx :airquote:Grey Tribe:airquote: person Nydwracu was carrying a torch about something he called "Crocodile Humor" as seen in this blogpost https://nydwracu.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/dan-savage-is-a-crocodile/.

What is Crocodile Humor you ask? Let's ask good ol' Mencius Moldbug to define it:

This is, of course, completely foreign to the neo-reactionary movement, who would never stoop to such tactics.

These people are not the powerful. They're the powerless who wish they were, and, importantly, think they deserve to be, the powerful.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

All people with that much privilege can wield the power of said privilege with their own words and actions. Every racist, no matter how seemingly powerless, is an agent of white supremacy, and the same for other forms of bigotry.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

These people are not the powerful. They're the powerless who wish they were, and, importantly, think they deserve to be, the powerful.

This is true.

It is kind of funny that they think the far-left has power, especially when compared to how useless every far-leftist sees every other far leftist as being.

It reminds me of an old Jewish joke

Rabbi Altmann and his secretary were sitting in a coffeehouse in Berlin in 1935. "Herr Altmann," said his secretary, "I notice you're reading Der Stürmer! I can't understand why. A Nazi libel sheet! Are you some kind of masochist, or, God forbid, a self-hating Jew?"

"On the contrary, Frau Epstein. When I used to read the Jewish papers, all I learned about were pogroms, riots in Palestine, and assimilation in America. But now that I read Der Stürmer, I see so much more: that the Jews control all the banks, that we dominate in the arts, and that we're on the verge of taking over the entire world. You know – it makes me feel a whole lot better!"

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

I think you're being very unfair to Nydwracu. As he and Moldbug have established, the true elite are in fact Calvinists / progressives / communists from Massachusetts. You see, they've taken over the Ivy League (a.k.a. The Cathedral) and have memetically inoculated you against the truth. Read the bunch of historical anecdotes nydwracu and moldbug have scrounged up and you'll see too, for example, the existence of former SA sub-forum LF.

I mean, historical anecdotes like this are irrefutable proof. Do you think they'd show a character like Archie Bunker on T.V. ever again? Still doubt the existence of the Cathedral?

People don't really accept racism and sexism any longer in polite society. That could only mean white males are the most oppressed class. Remember when the commie north ravaged the Great Old South?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cingulate posted:

For proud self-proclaimed Bayesians, it's a bit surprising to find a rough and naive discussion of priors, without using the term at all.

Oh, that's simple! Your "prior" is whatever you thought before and it must NEVER BE CHANGED. "Update" means you change your opinion, but in such a way that nobody could tell from observing anything you say or do.

Cingulate posted:

"I have literally never even heard the name Popper."

The search for the term is as dismal as you'd expect.

Peel posted:

We can use experiment to establish things that aren't directly measurable but which are implied by measurements via a successful theory? That's pretty mindblowing stuff, my mate Francis Bacon will amazed when he hears about this revolutionary new development.

He's right into Bacon. Note that link is about not falling in love with your own ideas. :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:

Hey everyone, wanna see the number one Dark Enlightenment comedian?

https://twitter.com/jokeocracy

Eric Erickson has noticed these idiots (or at least the ones who use "cuck" every second word): https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/624229746059149312 Perhaps the alt-right will ride again in the GOP! as the internal enemy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Them picking fights with one of the few major groups who might be willing to play ball if they were less open with the racism is pretty great

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Them picking fights with one of the few major groups who might be willing to play ball if they were less open with the racism is pretty great
Aren't they really like Trump in this regard again?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

Aren't they really like Trump in this regard again?

That's probably why they're apparently pretending he's an epic troll instead of just an idiot.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

Oh, that's simple! Your "prior" is whatever you thought before and it must NEVER BE CHANGED. "Update" means you change your opinion, but in such a way that nobody could tell from observing anything you say or do.

The search for the term is as dismal as you'd expect.

He's right into Bacon. Note that link is about not falling in love with your own ideas. :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat:
All of this is terrible and stupid. It almost makes me hate Bayes, and Popper.

(Were it not for the fact that he's totally missing what the actual Bayesian revolution currently happening is, and that he seems to have scraped his knowledge of Popper by listening to an undergrad give a talk on Popper based on skimming over the Wikipedia page for, uh ... Logical Positivsm.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cingulate posted:

All of this is terrible and stupid. It almost makes me hate Bayes, and Popper.

(Were it not for the fact that he's totally missing what the actual Bayesian revolution currently happening is, and that he seems to have scraped his knowledge of Popper by listening to an undergrad give a talk on Popper based on skimming over the Wikipedia page for, uh ... Logical Positivsm.)

We've been over this before. He doesn't understand Bayesian anything because he doesn't even understand conditional probabilities.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
I like how the idiotic cuckservative thing, based off of old GBS bullshit still popular on off-site fora, has been taken up by NRx tweeters and weev and is now popular among the entire alt-right in their fight against the mainstream right-wing. Even American Renaissance has taken it up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We've been over this before. He doesn't understand Bayesian anything because he doesn't even understand conditional probabilities.

No you see if anything has a nonzero probability it is certain to happen in some possible alternate universe and therefore should be treated as if it has a probability of 100%!

Coincidentally in some possible alternate universe I am now King of Cool Guys With Good Ideas so you better start respecting me!

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
What the hell is with these guys' obsession with cuckoldry?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Polybius91 posted:

Part is that they are :siren:losing their genetic legacy:siren: if their wife or whatever is pregnant with another man's child.

Other part is that women are objects and achievements, and if a woman cheats on you, that apparently means you are no longer a man, or whatever, according to their definition of masculinity.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Polybius91 posted:

:gb2gbs:

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

pretty much. and off-site forums

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Polybius91 posted:

It's a nice encapsulation of their abstract sense of being denied their birthright of rule and a life of ease by brutes who use deceit and force to steal what they should have. They're obsessed with the idea that somebody else has stolen what should be theirs.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If the word "cuckoldry" actually comes back into common usage I will L my AO

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Polybius91 posted:

The longstanding idea of black men as virile beasts who will steal our poor womenfolk.

Which has lead to the death of many, many black people over the years mind you.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
This is a bit of a tangent, but I think I might have found the most low effort right-wing blogger ever: https://radamanthesoctavian.wordpress.com/

quote:

The other day my wife was looking for something new to watch on Netfix, and she decided to try “Orange is the New Black.” Right away I said, “Don’t watch it.”

When she asked me why not, I told her that it was pop culture garbage designed to appeal to foolish and simple minded people.

“But it won an Emmy award, so it has to be good,” she says.

My wife still has not yet figured out the pattern of Cultural Marxism and degeneracy which plagues our country, and to a greater extent the west in general.

I told her that, best case scenario, the show won an award because it appealed to the lowest common denominator, and that the target audience was the most simple and low IQ members of the population. I then went on to suggest that the actual reason the series won was probably because the Emmys are biased and on board with a particular agenda, but she decided to watch it anyways.

Within the first two minutes there was a lesbian gay scene. My wife got mad and turned if off, and I said, “I told you so.”

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Merdifex posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but I think I might have found the most low effort right-wing blogger ever: https://radamanthesoctavian.wordpress.com/

What is a "lesbian gay scene"? Were they like, being lesbians in the same room?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

Oh, it's on topic! Here he NRX-splains to his waifu wife who is an actual hyu-mon feeemale and exists, okay, about the Cathedral.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Today I learned that 1. stupid people enjoy watching gay sex, but intelligent people don't, 2. to appeal to the most people, one should not appeal to the average person, but to extrema - the dumbest people, 3. most of the mass of a normal distribution is below its center.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So I remember an article detailing how these Dark Enlightenment people can't wrap their head around a materialist conception of history? In that tribes, slavery, and absolute monarchies stopped being a thing (in the West) because people just kind of forgot how good they are. Not because socio-economic changes made them unfeasible.

Because it seems to be their ideological denominator.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So I remember an article detailing how these Dark Enlightenment people can't wrap their head around a materialist conception of history? In that tribes, slavery, and absolute monarchies stopped being a thing (in the West) because people just kind of forgot how good they are. Not because socio-economic changes made them unfeasible.

Because it seems to be their ideological denominator.
You seem to be in the wrong thread. DE commonly proposes that slavery and absolute monarchy was actually a good thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

You seem to be in the wrong thread. DE commonly proposes that slavery and absolute monarchy was actually a good thing.

That's what I mean. It's when they seem to demand that we go back to that while still retaining advanced technology, free-market liberalism, etc, when those are the things that actively undermine things like slavery and absolute monarchy. From what I've seen, they can't seem to grasp that social structures are, in fact, products of socio-economic circumstance.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's what I mean. It's when they seem to demand that we go back to that while still retaining advanced technology, free-market liberalism, etc, when those are the things that actively undermine things like slavery and absolute monarchy. From what I've seen, they can't seem to grasp that social structures are, in fact, products of socio-economic circumstance.

This was that article from Scott that I quite liked, that made a point of how technology level strongly influenced how the society worked. (Though I would like to see countervailing opinions. Not many good ones in the comments.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Honestly, it's somewhat weird to me that NRx has grown in popularity with singularitarians, because what the gently caress are IQ differences and traditional hierarchical structures going to matter when the nerdrapture happens and everyone is a space god?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly, it's somewhat weird to me that NRx has grown in popularity with singularitarians, because what the gently caress are IQ differences and traditional hierarchical structures going to matter when the nerdrapture happens and everyone is a space god?

They don't think everyone will be a spacegod. They think THEY will be and then will have their chance for vengeance on all the people who didn't help build the Overlord or laughed at them for being so terrified of death they spent tens of thousands on cryonics. Just look at Yud's infinite torture AI. It's the same sort of thinking: "One day, the golden age will come and I'll get everything I deserved, while all the people I hate will be at my mercy."

You see the same thinking in some of the fundamentalist Christians when they talk about the Rapture, and there's a noticeable glee in their voice about how all their enemies will be going straight to hell to suffer forever.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The singulatarian community is similar to the zombie apocalypse fandom. Much of the original work is about the anxieties of modern civilization. Singulatarian stories often have themes revolving around dehumanisation of society by technology, and social stresses that form through contradictions between optimal behaviours and humanity's biological predispositions. Zombie apocalypse stories are often about the revelations of the true nature of individuals in the face of a crisis. Protagonists are only in the position they are in due to blind luck: one misstep and they lose their life and individuality. From this unprepared baseline, good men can go bad.

In both forms of literature, "fans" take one look at the scenarios, and think to themselves "I really hope all these awful events take place, because in my arrogance I'm sure I'd always make the Correct Decisions". They strip out all the interesting parts of the settings, all the anxieties, and replace them with power fantasies.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

divabot posted:

This was that article from Scott that I quite liked, that made a point of how technology level strongly influenced how the society worked. (Though I would like to see countervailing opinions. Not many good ones in the comments.)

Some of Scott's examples seem poorly chosen or outright wrong. His claim in the comments that “Chinese imperial bureaucracy was just an especially competent local variant on the feudal system for most of its history” needs to be argued for, at least.

The overall point of the post seems harder to dispute, though.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

divabot posted:

Oh, it's on topic! Here he NRX-splains to his waifu wife who is an actual hyu-mon feeemale and exists, okay, about the Cathedral.

quote:

My wife is new to the US, and she comes from a country where Cultural Marxists have yet to make any significant inroads

She's a mail-order bride isn't she :stare:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's gonna be fun when she steals his credit card and runs off, because he'll find out the Cathedral works faster than he thought it did.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

No, no, no. They get to be space gods, but you do not. And since your puny human mind and body are not good enough even for the most menial jobs in their space god society, you can entertain them or something until they get bored with you and kill you. I think that if nerd rapture actually happened (it won't), all the neoreactionaries would keep humans as guinea pigs in endless torture experiments, just to see what happens and watch them suffer. A thousand AMs inflicting pain on millions of humans, forever.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Somewhere I heard about a science fiction story where when the brain uploading tech is perfected and everyone goes to live forever in a computer the rich can afford better equipment than the poor and so they get smarter and smarter while the poor get dumber and dumber.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

divabot posted:

Does this boob know that hundreds of historians have already said this far better and more completely, and without the mistakes? Ego and native intelligence makes you dumb as hell.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

Does this boob know that hundreds of historians have already said this far better and more completely, and without the mistakes? Ego and native intelligence makes you dumb as hell.

As far as I can tell, Scott has just kinda bought into the idea that all non-hard sciences are contaminated by far-leftists who wish only to prove Marx right about everything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As far as I can tell, Scott has just kinda bought into the idea that all non-hard sciences are contaminated by far-leftists who wish only to prove Marx right about everything.

And yet he's making a very clumsy cultural materialist argument about social organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

And yet he's making a very clumsy cultural materialist argument about social organization.

Funny how that works, huh.