Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Slithery D posted:

Marine officers have been getting dumber the last 30 years. Probably the same for other services, but the Marines had data.

http://j.mp/1LBxoXF

This is the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

lightpole posted:

Crime of all types has declined but violent crime especially I believe. It's still high compared to first world countries. Low compared to the Middle East.

Of course, now everyone always has a chart or statistics backing up their view and its making me question or ignore most charts and graphics presented in support. Data has become meaningless.

This is honestly in large part thanks to Roe v Wade. By aborting unwanted babies starting in the 70s, there was a large drop in the highest crime causing demographic, teenage to mid 20s poor men starting in the early 90s. It's one of the biggest contributing factors to the crime rate drop off.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is honestly in large part thanks to Roe v Wade. By aborting unwanted babies starting in the 70s, there was a large drop in the highest crime causing demographic, teenage to mid 20s poor men starting in the early 90s. It's one of the biggest contributing factors to the crime rate drop off.

Wasn't the early 1990s like the peak of high crime? I thought the drop was late 90s or very early 00s?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah we all had to read Freakonomics/Tipping Point in a 200 level class.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cole posted:

Your car also has higher insurance on account of being stupid.

You're talking about things you don't understand again.

The Slithery D posted:

Marine officers have been getting dumber the last 30 years. Probably the same for other services, but the Marines had data.

That's more significant than I was expecting. I'm also surprised (but probably shouldn't be) that the Marines still issue a test devised in WWII.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 24, 2015

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

The Slithery D posted:

Well, this is gonna be good for a laugh for a while.

We need some more data like that. who do I freedom of information act to find out how fuckin' dumb the average Joe is?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Just look at every dumb gently caress driving through the gate every morning.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Slithery D posted:

quote:

What they find very much disputes claims that affirmative action or changing demographics have played any role in declining officer quality: “We find, in fact, a positive association between African-American officers and mean GCT score, perhaps because recruitment efforts by the Marine Corps have attracted minority officers who are more qualified than the typical college graduate,” say Klein and Cancian.

hehehe... minority hires actually pull the average up.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When I was going through basic the figures were that immigrants were 4 times more likely to get through basic or osut or whatever.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

That theory is not quite a fait accompli

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Godholio posted:

That's more significant than I was expecting. I'm also surprised (but probably shouldn't be) that the Marines still issue a test devised in WWII.

Could the decline be an artifact of the age of the test?

Depending on how the test is structured might there not be a conflict between the concepts and priorities of education when it was made and the modern emphasis and education methods that have diverged from that over the decades.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think technically the answer is probably yes, but that doesn't really alleviate concern unless you're starting from the assumption that those changes in priorities and concepts have been completely positive. There's no question that's a flawed assumption, though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
So apparently Bibi threw enough of a bitch fit over the Iran deal that Obama's signaling that he might release Jonathan Pollard.

The CIA is going to be pissed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

So is Biden.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Biden's right. That little rat gently caress should rot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
But Israel :qq:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Taking bets on Obama's last day pardons/amnesties.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Slithery D posted:

I wonder how much this comes down to selection based on gpa without accounting for degree or institution. A officer applicant in 1941 with a 3.5 was probably smart as hell. An officer applicant in 2014 with a 3.5 probably majored in "government studies" from Eastern Nebraska Christian. The article mentions that degrees don't mean as much as they used to but beyond that, the military hasn't changed its standards to account for the ever increasing variation in degree quality. Which, in combination, means that the system has gotten more and more gameable. Now if an 18 year old wants to become an officer, there's a clear path, and that path is not particularly intellectual.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Everyone previously convicted or currently jailed for weed possession and distribution.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

mumia

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Best Friends posted:

I wonder how much this comes down to selection based on gpa without accounting for degree or institution. A officer applicant in 1941 with a 3.5 was probably smart as hell. An officer applicant in 2014 with a 3.5 probably majored in "government studies" from Eastern Nebraska Christian. The article mentions that degrees don't mean as much as they used to but beyond that, the military hasn't changed its standards to account for the ever increasing variation in degree quality. Which, in combination, means that the system has gotten more and more gameable. Now if an 18 year old wants to become an officer, there's a clear path, and that path is not particularly intellectual.

Response from a captain friend of mine:
What isn't mentioned is that the test is not a requirement for entry into service and that when they give you the test, which is given in TBS after commissioning, they flat out tell you that it's a waste of time and has absolutely no bearing on anything whatsoever. It makes you wonder how many people actually take the test seriously...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Response from a captain friend of mine:
What isn't mentioned is that the test is not a requirement for entry into service and that when they give you the test, which is given in TBS after commissioning, they flat out tell you that it's a waste of time and has absolutely no bearing on anything whatsoever. It makes you wonder how many people actually take the test seriously...

Unless he has evidence that the number of people who take it seriously has changed, the trend is still valid.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

OK but what gun owners have in common is that they all own devices that propel small amounts of metal at lethal speed through the air, so the actions of an idiot gun owner are potentially more catastrophic than those of an idiot drag queen.

Two Finger posted:

drag queens are no joke, a friend of mine was pointing and laughing at one so she clean hit him from about 10m away with a chunk of brick
knocked him on his rear end

e: tbf it doesnt sound like the drag queen was the idiot in this story

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I never suggested differently? Dude always got himself in trouble doing poo poo like that and a brick of justice showed him the error of his ways

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Best Friends posted:

In the dark days of 2006 I was accepted to OCS with a 2.24 GPA. Of course, I also had a 141 GT score and a law degree, so :shrug:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Best Friends posted:

The last year there was a significant increase? My year. :smuggo:
(I don't even remember taking the test, let alone my score)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

Biden's right. That little rat gently caress should rot.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Two Finger posted:

I never suggested differently? Dude always got himself in trouble doing poo poo like that and a brick of justice showed him the error of his ways

oh for sure, that was in reference to the first quote

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Nice! posted:

lightpole posted:

Of course, now everyone always has a chart or statistics backing up their view and its making me question or ignore most charts and graphics presented in support. Data has become meaningless.

Was never really a fan of the Freakanomics guys but their books did have some ok stuff. I can't stand Gladwell, his books are just hot garbage.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 25, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Was never really a fan of the Freakanomics guys but their books did have some ok stuff. I can't stand Gladwell, his books are just hot garbage.

Blink and Tipping Point were good. Outliers was eh, even though it propelled him to mainstream success.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

psydude posted:

Blink and Tipping Point were good. Outliers was eh, even though it propelled him to mainstream success.

Top guys at Lehman were big fans of Blink and had Gladwell give motivational speeches. I believe the results speak for themselves.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Turkey is using IS airstrikes to also hit Kurds. :golfclap:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ded posted:

We really oughta take back our missile bases and put the boot to those Saracens

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I feel like the easy way to beat ISIS is to publicly offer to recognize an independent Kurdistan in whatever territory they can take and hold by a certain date. Give em two years and we'll have a moderate caliphate.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I feel like the easy way to beat ISIS is to publicly offer to recognize an independent Kurdistan in whatever territory they can take and hold by a certain date. Give em two years and we'll have a new Ottoman Empire composed of Kurds.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VikingSkull posted:

I feel like the easy way to beat ISIS is to publicly offer to recognize an independent Kurdistan in whatever territory they can take and hold by a certain date. Give em two years and we'll have our nuclear holocaust

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

ded posted:

Turkey taking every opportunity to poo poo on Kurds? Say it ain't so.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ded posted:

Turks gonna turk.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

The Slithery D posted:

Wow, every year is within one standard deviation of each other, therefore all the means are the same, stats goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

this works too

• Locked thread