Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Later Hal is seen in bed naked with an 8-year-old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's an edit. Like almost everything you post.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Bizarro #2: Pictures of Bizarro and Jimmy Olsen's road trip across America.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

meanwhile Hal Jordan is somewhere being completely useless

Always a good reminder that Hal Jordan is the worst superhero.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

That's an edit. Like almost everything you post.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TwoPair posted:

Bizarro #2: Pictures of Bizarro and Jimmy Olsen's road trip across America.

I get the jokes in the starling city and Louisiana panels, but not the others.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Saoshyant posted:

Always a good reminder that Hal Jordan is the worst superhero.

I don't know, I think I could get behind a version of Hal Jordan who's a hilariously inept moron with a power ring. And if he overcomes his rampant stupidity and succeeds because his heart's in the right place, then that's heartwarming as well as being funny. It's a human quality! It's the infallible white bread Mary Sue Hal Jordan who sucks.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

qntm posted:

I don't know, I think I could get behind a version of Hal Jordan who's a hilariously inept moron with a power ring. And if he overcomes his rampant stupidity and succeeds because his heart's in the right place, then that's heartwarming as well as being funny. It's a human quality! It's the infallible white bread Mary Sue Hal Jordan who sucks.

And Jack Black could play him in the movie!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I kinda like the cage bars one. It's not your fault Hal, that's just how comic and cartoon artists draw cages.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Section Z posted:

I kinda like the cage bars one. It's not your fault Hal, that's just how comic and cartoon artists draw cages.
It even kind of makes sense, because obviously that's how he'd visualize a cage.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

It even kind of makes sense, because obviously that's how he'd visualize a cage.

no he's just an idiot

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

no he's just an idiot

Oh my god :allears:

Thank you for this. The fact he admits he's loving up in these recent panels just makes it all the better.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Section Z posted:

Oh my god :allears:

Thank you for this. The fact he admits he's loving up in these recent panels just makes it all the better.

If you want the joke ruined:
The gag aside, silver age Owlman had mild mind control powers, which is the in-comic explanation for the gaffes.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

qntm posted:

"You've been loafing around the watchtower long enough. Batman agrees you need to go get a job, and your own place"

This is exactly what we need, Ring of the Bastard Lantern.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about Silver Age Green Lantern is that he gets his ring and then pretty much instantly starts using it to date movie stars.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

muscles like this? posted:

A funny thing about Silver Age Green Lantern is that he gets his ring and then pretty much instantly starts using it to date movie stars.

That's the most realistic thing I've heard about Green Lantern.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'd do after losing my weakness for wood.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
In defense of Hal, his lameness created a character vacuum that has subsequently spawned laterns of pure awesomeness such as Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner and G'nort.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

qntm posted:

I don't know, I think I could get behind a version of Hal Jordan who's a hilariously inept moron with a power ring.

Isn't that kinda Guy Gardner? (And G'nort, for that matter.)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Guy Gardner can be argued as "what if Hal Jordan was born butt ugly and dropped most of his filter?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Gardner, like most of the non-Hal GLs, didn't really begin that way. He was a social worker who got the ring and was presented as an equal choice to Hal, it was just that Hal was closer to Abin Sur when the call went out. A series of "Hal fucks up" left him in a coma with brain damage and that, plus Hal being an rear end in a top hat, lead to Guy being gradually written as more of a dick. JLI really solidified the dude as "giant rear end in a top hat" but he wasn't initially that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Guy actually in any of the main DCU books right now? (JL3k1 doesn't count. Though his/her clumsy attempts at feminist solidarity are either really awkward by Giffen and JMdM or really, really funny)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Is Guy actually in any of the main DCU books right now? (JL3k1 doesn't count. Though his/her clumsy attempts at feminist solidarity are either really awkward by Giffen and JMdM or really, really funny)

He's in GL: The Lost Army as is John Stewart. And his new costume is awful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

Well yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'd do after losing my weakness for wood.

Holy poo poo

:golfclap:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ImpAtom posted:

Guy Gardner, like most of the non-Hal GLs, didn't really begin that way. He was a social worker who got the ring and was presented as an equal choice to Hal, it was just that Hal was closer to Abin Sur when the call went out. A series of "Hal fucks up" left him in a coma with brain damage and that, plus Hal being an rear end in a top hat, lead to Guy being gradually written as more of a dick. JLI really solidified the dude as "giant rear end in a top hat" but he wasn't initially that.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

qntm posted:

Naruto the Green Lantern does not sound like a fun comic or anything especially if we are talking about Hal.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

This very situation became a running gag on Batman: Brave and the Bold. It was usually G'nort who would exclaim about the one punch knock out though, as Ted was long replaced by Jaime at that point.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I don't have the pages on me, but there's a story in the early 90's about how there can only be one Earth Lantern and rather than destroy a city with their rings, Guy and Hal agree to fight it out powerless. Hal suckerpunches Guy down and Blue Beetle's in the background, laughing his rear end off. Guy springs back up, going, "No one punch... NO ONE PUNCH!" and the fight goes on.

The funniest One Punch moment is still when Hal punched down Batman during Rebirth. Not because Guy was given the Blue Beetle role, but because of the legion of angry Batfans who couldn't accept Batman being punched ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gavok posted:

I don't have the pages on me, but there's a story in the early 90's about how there can only be one Earth Lantern and rather than destroy a city with their rings, Guy and Hal agree to fight it out powerless. Hal suckerpunches Guy down and Blue Beetle's in the background, laughing his rear end off. Guy springs back up, going, "No one punch... NO ONE PUNCH!" and the fight goes on.

The funniest One Punch moment is still when Hal punched down Batman during Rebirth. Not because Guy was given the Blue Beetle role, but because of the legion of angry Batfans who couldn't accept Batman being punched ever.

Huge Batman fan, but that punch sold me on Hal because someone needs to call Batman out on his poo poo once in a while. Then they have that one issue together in GL where Batman puts on the ring which was nice.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
All this did was remind me of a G'nort storyline I read when i was a kid about him facing off against some giant, probably yellow, flea or big conscious group of fleas (a la Marvel's Swarm). Heck if I know where I read it in (I'd guess a JLA/JLE/JLI book though).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Later Hal is seen in bed naked with an 8-year-old.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
"Hal is a born hero,"
-Geoff Johns

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

This is the rare case of him not posting an edit, right?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

This is the rare case of him not posting an edit, right?

Oh it's worse than you know.

Short version: Arisia was a plucky alien kid/green lantern who had a brother/sister relationship with Hal. This turned into a crush on her part. Her ring, acting on her will to no longer be a child, gives her an adult body. Upon revealing this to Hal, they make out and start a relationship. Hence:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's okay guys, Geoff Johns said she was legal in space years so that makes it okay.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Considering that Batman's punch also left him with a brain damage its amazing that Guy isn't a vegetable.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alhazred posted:

Considering that Batman's punch also left him with a brain damage its amazing that Guy isn't a vegetable.

Don't you technically take brain damage any time you're knocked unconscious by a physical jolt?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Don't you technically take brain damage any time you're knocked unconscious by a physical jolt?

Yeah, but in this case Batman's punch resulted in Guy changing personality (becoming an extremely nice guys) before another punch reverted him to his old self. All in all Guy's brain is probably full of black spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, but in this case Batman's punch resulted in Guy changing personality (becoming an extremely nice guys) before another punch reverted him to his old self. All in all Guy's brain is probably full of black spots.

Guy Garnder left the dogs in the enclosed pool area.