Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Regarding the LitRPG genre that is leaking out of Russia, mentioned earlier on the last few pages: I cannot get enough of them. I am not sure what that says about me though. I've read all 4 Play To Live books by D. Rus, all 3 End Online books by D. Wolfin, the first Way of The Shaman book by Vasily Mahanenko, and even the serialization/fanslation of Legendary Moonlight Sculptor out of Korea.

I just finished the most recent release, Way of the Clan, boook 1 of World of Valdira, by Dem Mikhaylov. I swear to god this dude just translated the book with Google Translate, there are so many typos and incorrect words etc. And for some reason all dialogue was printed as its own paragraph with a dash in front of the start of it, with breaks in speech barely even punctuated so its hard to tell what is descriptive text in between speech in those sections. Even so, the story still roped me in somehow.

What I have noticed about all these LitRPG books is that they all have a similar wish fulfillment plot hook - Even Ready Player One which I'd say counts. The main character finds a secret class/quest/skill through virtue of doing some menial task that no one else who isn't incredibly masochistic would do and it leads them to some kind of power that puts them on a higher footing than most other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Can you link me to a few of these that you think are the best examples of the genre? I want to check out their sales rank, length, etc.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

angel opportunity posted:

Can you link me to a few of these that you think are the best examples of the genre? I want to check out their sales rank, length, etc.

Probably http://www.amazon.com/AlterWorld-Play-Live-Book-1-ebook/dp/B00LYJOII6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437755737&sr=8-5&keywords=D.+Rus

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Thanks!

edit:

What did you think of these two, assuming you read them? They have way better ranking

http://www.amazon.com/Reborn-Gamblers-Game-D-W-Jackson-ebook/dp/B011N9PXJE/ref=pd_sim_351_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=03SP3FMMQNJGGBF3WNS1
http://www.amazon.com/The-Bathrobe-Knight-Charles-Dean-ebook/dp/B0104WO2RA/ref=pd_sim_351_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=03SP3FMMQNJGGBF3WNS1

Would the first one only being 91 pages be a big turn-off to you, or is it fine as long as the book is good enough?

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 24, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm in the mood for some super-dense Scifi-Fantasy Lit so where do I go next with Gene Wolfe?

I love "Book of the New Sun" and "Fifth Head of Cerberus". Clearly, there's a lot of his stuff I haven't read.

I've heard mixed things about his newer stuff, is "Lands Across" any good? The idea of a Gene-Wolfe not-spy-he-is-a-spy story appeals to me and the description sounds very "The City and The City".

I'd go for "Book of the Long Sun" but I'm kindle-ing it and it doesn't look like you can get the compendium versions in e-book (but you can for New Sun...the hell?) so that bumps the price up. Doesn't even matter! Amazon.ca doesn't have the second book. Really what the hell.

Feel free to steer me towards his stuff I haven't mentioned too! The guy is a prolific author.

EDIT: Wooooaaaahhh...he's got a new book coming out in October! "A Borrowed Man".

Amazon Sez posted:

It is perhaps a hundred years in the future, our civilization is gone, and another is in place in North America, but it retains many familiar things and structures. Although the population is now small, there is advanced technology, there are robots, and there are clones.

E. A. Smithe is a borrowed person. He is a clone who lives on a third-tier shelf in a public library, and his personality is an uploaded recording of a deceased mystery writer. Smithe is a piece of property, not a legal human.

A wealthy patron, Colette Coldbrook, takes him from the library because he is the surviving personality of the author of Murder on Mars. A physical copy of that book was in the possession of her murdered father, and it contains an important secret, the key to immense family wealth. It is lost, and Colette is afraid of the police. She borrows Smithe to help her find the book and to find out what the secret is. And then the plot gets complicated.

Emphasis mine.

Oh, Gene. :allears:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 24, 2015

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's the best book out of Library at Mount Char, Ancillary Justice, The Player of Games, and Hyperion. Kind of looking for a scifi book that's not too dense, but any good book for the long drive tomorrow would work.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Zaphiel posted:

What's the best book out of Library at Mount Char, Ancillary Justice, The Player of Games, and Hyperion. Kind of looking for a scifi book that's not too dense, but any good book for the long drive tomorrow would work.

I've read 3 of those four and I'd recommend Hyperion or Player of Games, with a slight lean toward Player of Games. At least you know with Player of Games that if you like it, there's a lot more good stuff to read. If you like Hyperion, you've already read the best of it, and it's only going to go downhill. Hyperion on its own is really quite good though!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Snuffman posted:

I'm in the mood for some super-dense Scifi-Fantasy Lit so where do I go next with Gene Wolfe?

It's impossible to go wrong with "Soldier of the Mist" and "Soldier of Arete".

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Zaphiel posted:

I'd go Iain Banks out of that list. My ranking:

Player of Games
Ancillary Justice
Hyperion
Library at Mount Char

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

angel opportunity posted:

Thanks!

edit:

What did you think of these two, assuming you read them? They have way better ranking

http://www.amazon.com/Reborn-Gamblers-Game-D-W-Jackson-ebook/dp/B011N9PXJE/ref=pd_sim_351_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=03SP3FMMQNJGGBF3WNS1
http://www.amazon.com/The-Bathrobe-Knight-Charles-Dean-ebook/dp/B0104WO2RA/ref=pd_sim_351_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=03SP3FMMQNJGGBF3WNS1

Would the first one only being 91 pages be a big turn-off to you, or is it fine as long as the book is good enough?

I haven't read either. Was looking at the Reborn books this morning and to be honest the length was a total turn off. Since I have kindle unlimited I will likely read them anyway. I didn't know the second book was in the genre but I'm going to try it out.

Alter world is definitely my favorite but for amount of material, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor probably takes the prize. As well, a lot of the action sequences and real world stuff are better in that series. Collected here:http://royalroadweed.blogspot.co.il/2014/11/toc.html

Edit: I really liked Way Of The Shaman as well. I think it was actually better written than most including Alterworld. The only downside is there is only 1 out so far.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 24, 2015

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

the only real issue is that you can see a lot of previous character types come back up, including the very obviously total rear end in a top hat husband who you just want to see die in the worst way.

Started on the Rain Wild Chronicles this week. You weren't kidding.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphiel posted:

You can't go wrong with Hyperion. The audiobook for it is top notch and easy to follow too.

People were recently posting about cyberpunk itt, and I just finished a great debut novel that fits the genre, Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Thomas Sweterlitsch. It takes place in a near future where capitalism and celebrity culture are perverted to their extremes and the internet has been supplanted by a pervasive tech that's wired directly into people's brains. The tone is bleak and cynical a lot of the time(the POV character is a clinically depressed drug addict), but it also has some beautiful & evocative writing throughout it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Victorkm posted:

Regarding the LitRPG genre that is leaking out of Russia, mentioned earlier on the last few pages: I cannot get enough of them. I am not sure what that says about me though. I've read all 4 Play To Live books by D. Rus, all 3 End Online books by D. Wolfin, the first Way of The Shaman book by Vasily Mahanenko, and even the serialization/fanslation of Legendary Moonlight Sculptor out of Korea.

I just finished the most recent release, Way of the Clan, boook 1 of World of Valdira, by Dem Mikhaylov. I swear to god this dude just translated the book with Google Translate, there are so many typos and incorrect words etc. And for some reason all dialogue was printed as its own paragraph with a dash in front of the start of it, with breaks in speech barely even punctuated so its hard to tell what is descriptive text in between speech in those sections. Even so, the story still roped me in somehow.

What I have noticed about all these LitRPG books is that they all have a similar wish fulfillment plot hook - Even Ready Player One which I'd say counts. The main character finds a secret class/quest/skill through virtue of doing some menial task that no one else who isn't incredibly masochistic would do and it leads them to some kind of power that puts them on a higher footing than most other players.

That sounds a lot like some of the books the web/light novels thread in ADTRW talks about : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694488

Not sure if the Russian authors are copying the Japanese ones or if the same terrible cliches were developed independently.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Silver2195 posted:

That sounds a lot like some of the books the web/light novels thread in ADTRW talks about : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694488

Not sure if the Russian authors are copying the Japanese ones or if the same terrible cliches were developed independently.

We have an original one now, too. The Bathrobe Knight.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm pretty sure that Ready Player One counts, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainScraps posted:

I just finished Knight's Shadow, and I'm happy to say it didn't fall prey to the problems most sophomore books do in a series. It fell short of Traitor's Blade, but I honestly think that was simply because I didn't have the pleasure of discovering Not France with the Not Musketeers for the first time like I did in the first.

I like that he expanded more on the Saints and what they are, and I have a feeling that's going to be important in the next two books. I have a *theory* regarding that, but if these last two books have taught me anything, de Castell is more than willing to let me think I have it figured out and then razzle-dazzle me with something else. And the nice thing is, it doesn't feel as much like deus ex machina the way a lot of twists get presented by other authors.

Thanks for recommendation, thread.

Currently reading: The Fold and enjoying it. It's a perfect summer book in a Creighton-y kind of way.

On Deck: The Rook and The Severed Streets

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
For those who read Aurora, you might appreciate my review :)

http://www.fantasticascifi.com/2015/07/what-were-reading-aurora/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
People like to talk about the pedo stuff in Piers Anthony but somehow everyone forgives the endless rape apologia in Stephen Donaldson

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

People like to talk about the pedo stuff in Piers Anthony but somehow everyone forgives the endless rape apologia in Stephen Donaldson
There's also rape apologia in Piers Anthony, as well as general misogyny.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

This is just disingenuous. There is rape in Donaldson's books but it's never not a horrific act. That's central to one of the major themes of the first Covenant trilogy and the Gap series is much more complicated than "rape apologia".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I don't know about endless, but it's a pretty cheap way to show off that your hero is a tremendous dick. Of course, there's plenty more to have against Donaldson's writing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Well, I don't know about endless, but it's a pretty cheap way to show off that your hero is a tremendous dick. Of course, there's plenty more to have against Donaldson's writing.

I don't think there's anything cheap about how Donaldson wrote rape into the Gap Cycle, but I've never read the Covenant books.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I don't think there's anything cheap about how Donaldson wrote rape into the Gap Cycle, but I've never read the Covenant books.

It's not cheap or trivial in Covenant either

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Out of idle curiosity, how many series did Donaldson put rape in? What about short story collections?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
"Angus Thermo-Pile"

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I've been thinking about fantasy lit recently, after reading Magicians and then some essays by Grossman:
Because genre dudes often complain about genre being frowned upon.. And I don't think it's because of fantasy elements, but stupid plots. Why do even the serious writers revert to such formulaic plots in fantasy?
Basically, what I'm wondering is why aren't there fantasy books that would just tell of normal life in that fantasy world, without action, adventure or mystery plot?? Seems like obvious thing to do if you want to be taken seriously.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Yeah, that remark was on the Covenant books. Well, the one I managed to get to about 75% of before it bored me senseless.

mallamp posted:

I've been thinking about fantasy lit recently, after reading Magicians and then some essays by Grossman:
Because genre dudes often complain about genre being frowned upon.. And I don't think it's because of fantasy elements, but stupid plots. Why do even the serious writers revert to such formulaic plots in fantasy?
Basically, what I'm wondering is why aren't there fantasy books that would just tell of normal life in that fantasy world, without action, adventure or mystery plot?? Seems like obvious thing to do if you want to be taken seriously.
I assume it's mostly because then it's hard to justify having the fantasy element there, plus it requires a much better writer to pull it off. There's stuff like The Golem and the Jinni and Goblin Emperor, though.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

savinhill posted:

It's not cheap or trivial in Covenant either

Indeed. It's an act that the main character will carry as a burden for the rest of the series. An it is not a graphic scene anyway,

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

mallamp posted:

if a serious writer writes a fantasy book it's magical realism not fantasy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Magical Realism, is good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Amberskin posted:

Indeed. It's an act that the main character will carry as a burden for the rest of the series.

And the unintended consequences of that act are what drives the entire plot of the Chronicles. If Covenant hadn't raped Lena then Elena wouldn't have been born; the Law of Death would as a result have remained unbroken, preventing the loss of the Staff of Law to Lord Foul. Controlling the Staff as well as the Illearth Stone allowed Foul to subvert the Bloodguard, breaking their Vow and ending their service to the Lords of Revelstone. Then the promise to honour Lena that Covenant forced on the Ranyhyn in return for not having to bear him as a rider almost caused their destruction as they couldn't leave the Land because of it. Finally, Covenant is forced to destroy the Staff of Law, which later allows Foul to create the Sunbane.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jedit posted:

And the unintended consequences of that act are what drives the entire plot of the Chronicles. If Covenant hadn't raped Lena then Elena wouldn't have been born; the Law of Death would as a result have remained unbroken, preventing the loss of the Staff of Law to Lord Foul. Controlling the Staff as well as the Illearth Stone allowed Foul to subvert the Bloodguard, breaking their Vow and ending their service to the Lords of Revelstone. Then the promise to honour Lena that Covenant forced on the Ranyhyn in return for not having to bear him as a rider almost caused their destruction as they couldn't leave the Land because of it. Finally, Covenant is forced to destroy the Staff of Law, which later allows Foul to create the Sunbane.

So what you're saying is, rape is okay if it liberates a fantasy land or is part of a prophecy.

People wonder why fantasy was regarded as sketchy for so long :v:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kesper North posted:

So what you're saying is, rape is okay if it liberates a fantasy land or is part of a prophecy.

It'd be even better if it liberated you from this thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Amberskin posted:

Indeed. It's an act that the main character will carry as a burden for the rest of the series. An it is not a graphic scene anyway,

The problem is that whole series is a burden for the reader >_<

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem is that whole series is a burden for the reader >_<

Well, no one said Donaldson was a fun read. I know I bailed on the Gap series after book one. Saying he loves and endorses rape is just kind of silly.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Kesper North posted:

This is pretty ignorant considering the history of the Fantasy genre, which was regarded as pulpy trash before Donaldson wrote the first Chronicles trilogy, and Donaldson's writing of Chronicles was heavily motivated by a desire to do something more meaningful and less juvenile within the genre. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and the Gap Cycle were not primarily written to be fun entertainment.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Velius posted:

Well, no one said Donaldson was a fun read. I know I bailed on the Gap series after book one. Saying he loves and endorses rape is just kind of silly.

Has he written anything that didn't have the rape dial turned up to 11, though?

edit: I have a hate/hate relationship to Donaldson. I've read the whole gap cycle and all the Thomas Covenenant books and the whole time I was reading them they made me feel absolutely miserable. I respect his craft and all but his books are deliberately unpleasant to read.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 26, 2015

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I hate this. Articulate your thoughts better. The quoted sentence can be interpreted in two ways - "rape itself is okay if it liberates bla bla" or "writing rape into a story is okay if it liberates bla bla".
And they're both stupid and don't follow from the post you quoted.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Goddamnit this thread is at its worst whenever an author's take on paedophaelia (or whatever) or rape or racism or misogyny is brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

How many scifi fantasy books include murder... oh, probably all of them. But no, rape is terrible, worse than murder, and authors shouldn't use it in their plots.