Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Hold up a second. Are you telling me that the street's actual official name is "Crime Alley"? That's not just something people call it?

No, it's called Park Row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

CuwiKhons posted:

Hold up a second. Are you telling me that the street's actual official name is "Crime Alley"? That's not just something people call it?
It's Park Row

edit: what the what where'd you come from?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

It's Park Row

edit: what the what where'd you come from?!

I'm Batman.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Oh thank god, I was worried Gotham City was even stupider than I've always thought.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Haha, that's Golden. That is really something you should say out loud to hear how ridiculous it sounds.

It sounds ridiculous in text, too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It makes sense when you're in the bigger world of the Justice League since it justifies him being there. Batman being the master tactician among a bunch of gods keeps him from falling into the Hawkeye-in-the-Avengers pitfall. When you're just dealing with Batman's world without anyone else from the wider universe, I prefer him to be a masterful detective who is fallible and not an 11th dimensional chess player. In the Arkham games he seems like a cross between Morrison's BatGod and Miller's brutal-as-gently caress Batman.

One of my favourite Batman bits is from Time and the Batman (written by Morrison) where you're hearing his internal monologue about all the loving crazy poo poo that goes down during Final Crisis, and how he's just a man in a world of mythology, trying to keep up. Then he tries to punch an alien in a nerve cluster she doesn't have (because she's an alien) and gets his arse handed to him.

He comes to the conclusion that he's so small he can slip through the holes in the plans of gods, and decides that by becoming a part of that story he can win.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He comes to the conclusion that he's so small he can slip through the holes in the plans of gods, and decides that by becoming a part of that story he can win.

I really, really loved that his part of the story ends after he forces the God/Embodiment of Evil itself to admit it is scared of him - a cowardly and superstitious lot indeed :allears:

I was really impressed by the ending of Final Crisis which seemed to be setting the stage for a brighter, happier, more positive direction for DC Comics in general. They very quickly "solved" that "problem" though :smith:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I feel like a lot of the issues with the New 52 and the redo of Spider-Man is that the higher ups were/are so worried about the comics being similar or exactly the same as they were when they were kids, or wanting them to be super edgy. Which is dumb, because comics should be fun and not edgy except in rare cases.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I'm down to 7 Riddler trophies. I think they're all races too. I have one riddle that's left on Founders in the 3rd bracket. Not showing up on my map and it's been a while since I've see a Riddler informant roaming.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I love the line Joker has when you talk to Deathstroke in jail. "At what point does 'world's deadliest assassin' become false advertising?" Also everything to do with Riddler. Yeah, there are too many riddles before you get to fight him, but he's one of if not my favorite fight in the game. The other dual one, with Robin, was really fun too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Deathstroke's Gotham Story has an interesting explanation: ever since he got taken down in Origins, he's been afraid of Batman. He's aware of it, and is coming back to Gotham specifically to try to overcome it. It kinda explains his boss fight! (not really, not even kinda)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah that boss fight Is just insulting, at least you basically get to fight the Riddler hand to hand (kinda) and he's the one you'd expect to be cowardly.

As for that novel, I kept thinking that Batman should at least address the Joker, it just seemed the more natural thing to do. If they have to they can even save it for later when he's losing his grip.

Anyway, I have a handful of trophies left but I can't be hosed with them. The one where you have to do the jumps is a pain because you both have to land right and also can't clip anything on the way down. I'm not going to get 3 stars in all those AR missions either. I've seen the game from top to bottom now so it's time to trade it in and get The Witcher.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I was mildly frustrated that all you got for (endgame spoilers) defending GCPD from 60+ loving tanks is 50 XP. I realize it's supposed to scale with how well you fight like the fist fight but gimme a break.

EDIT: also I'm not very versed in the Batman Universe but I thought it was Nightwing/Dick Grayson that was involved with Barbara Gordon, not Tim?

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 25, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

EDIT: also I'm not very versed in the Batman Universe but I thought it was Nightwing/Dick Grayson that was involved with Barbara Gordon, not Tim?

Yep, you're right. I have no idea why they went with Tim, who is significantly younger than Dick and Barbara.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

DrVenkman posted:

As for that novel, I kept thinking that Batman should at least address the Joker, it just seemed the more natural thing to do. If they have to they can even save it for later when he's losing his grip.

I like to chalk it up to the Chel Theory, where Chel (the silent protagonist of Portal 1 and 2) is perfectly able to talk, she just does not want to give GlaDOS (or anything to do with her, such as Wheatley) any kind of satisfaction. In the official comics, it's revealed she is "abnormally stubborn" which suggests she may have completed those tests not just to survive, but also out of spite!

Batman doesn't address the Joker because Joker died. It's not a ghost or a program, it's Batman's own brain that is taunting Batman. He may be suffering from Weird Blood Disease but he is also the World's Greatest Detective. He probably created a perfect replica of the Joker in his head years ago, just so he could be more effective at stopping him. It's also why this Joker "knows" things Batman seemingly would not, because Batman knows what Joker would have done.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Yep, you're right. I have no idea why they went with Tim, who is significantly younger than Dick and Barbara.

Maybe Barbara just has a thing for Robins in general.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CuwiKhons posted:

It isn't like Dick hasn't hosed her over before in his many relationships with seemingly every woman in DC. Tim's boring enough to not try anything.

Oh god, I don't even want to imagine what an Arkham version of Starfire would be. :gonk:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

She'd dress like Poison Ivy. Only skimpier, somehow.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Crabtree posted:

It isn't like Dick hasn't hosed her over before in his many relationships with seemingly every woman in DC. Tim's boring enough to not try anything.

Oh god, I don't even want to imagine what an Arkham version of Starfire would be. :gonk:

Probably just the version they used in the first thing she showed up in the New 52, which was terrible.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

She'd be dead and somehow it'd be Joker's fault.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Serious question, is there any reason why Batman has contigencies to render Superman unable to fight but he doesn't set up any kind of plan or method for his own rogues? :psyduck:

Speaking of which, when did "Batman is prepared for every possible eventually ever" become a thing? Like in the Adam West series it was played up as a joke. But in the comics, was it how he handles Superman in Dark Knight Returns? Or that storyline where martians are owning everyone but Superman says Batman is the most dangerous person ever because Batman knows that they're afraid of fire?

I always loved that. Only The World's Greatest Detective could figure out that folks don't like being set on fire.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lots of people are not fans of the whole "Batman knows how to kill all his friends" thing but I like it, it adds a layer of paranoia to the character that is otherwise missing. Batman's "thing" is that he is prepared for stuff, and the logical end point of that is having a method for stopping his allies in case they turn against him or the greater good. And he has one for himself, too, which is only fair.

W/r/t the martians, being set on fire is not just "being set on fire", it literally atomizes them for comic book reasons. It's like their Pokemon weakness. Yeah sure, nobody would want to get shocked with electricity, but if you were made of water you probably DEFINITELY wouldn't want to get shocked by it.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
What was Batman's contingency plan against himself?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kidnap Robin and/or innocent bystanders.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

poonchasta posted:

A sympathy card about his dead parents.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

poonchasta posted:

He can be ridiculously easily distracted by his parents legacy and friends being in danger, fake or not.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

poonchasta posted:

Bullet to the face.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Steve2911 posted:

Bullet to the chin.

ftfy

surc
Aug 17, 2004

mints posted:

I'm down to 7 Riddler trophies. I think they're all races too. I have one riddle that's left on Founders in the 3rd bracket. Not showing up on my map and it's been a while since I've see a Riddler informant roaming.

Not a race, but have you cleared the subways? Those and one in Arkham Knight HQ gave me trouble with map locations. It didn't save me getting the one right after the boss (excavator) fight, so I had to backtrack through a bunch of stuff I didn't remember for like an hour and a half to find a grate that went under a wall to where I'd come out from the boss fight.

E: I can't wait for the Batgirl DLC, Assuming it comes out in August that should stretch out my new game + playthrough perfectly.

surc fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 25, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

surc posted:

E: I can't wait for the Batgirl DLC, Assuming it comes out in August that should stretch out my new game + playthrough perfectly.
I guarantee there won't be any DLC available on PC until the game is fully available for everybody (back on Steam, e.g.), and considering they only mentioned an interim patch for August, that seems super unlikely.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, when did "Batman is prepared for every possible eventually ever" become a thing? Like in the Adam West series it was played up as a joke. But in the comics, was it how he handles Superman in Dark Knight Returns? Or that storyline where martians are owning everyone but Superman says Batman is the most dangerous person ever because Batman knows that they're afraid of fire?

I don't know much about the comics, but it seems like something Batman needs to stay on the level with the Justice League, a group that has several aliens with godlike powers, a cyborg, The Flash, uh, Aquaman.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It's really sad that basically every boss battle was basically a tank fight. Especially with Deathstroke. ONLY PERSON TO BE ABLE STAND WITH YOU TOE TO TOE BATMAN!!

*tank battle*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Or that storyline where martians are owning everyone but Superman says Batman is the most dangerous person ever because Batman knows that they're afraid of fire?

I always loved that. Only The World's Greatest Detective could figure out that folks don't like being set on fire.

Martians in the DCU react to fire like Kryptonians react to Kryptonite. It severely weakens them, and eventually leads to death. They need not be set on fire, being in close proximity is enough.

There's nothing too wrong with the scene, Batman observed the skills of a new superhero group, noted a similarity to the Martian Manhunter. They then blew the Batwing and didn't try to kill him while he was amongst the burning wreckage. He puts two and two together...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JetsGuy posted:

It's really sad that basically every boss battle was basically a tank fight. Especially with Deathstroke. ONLY PERSON TO BE ABLE STAND WITH YOU TOE TO TOE BATMAN!!

*tank battle*

There was Pyg and his invincible surgical gurney.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

There was Pyg and his invincible surgical gurney.

And that super involved boss fight with Hush. So intense! I was sweating by the end of it.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

surc posted:

Not a race, but have you cleared the subways? Those and one in Arkham Knight HQ gave me trouble with map locations. It didn't save me getting the one right after the boss (excavator) fight, so I had to backtrack through a bunch of stuff I didn't remember for like an hour and a half to find a grate that went under a wall to where I'd come out from the boss fight.

Cleared the subway before making the post. I'm missing 5 right now, but one of them can only be found at the end after you're in the Riddler's area. I've also got 1 of the charge pipe puzzles that I keep mistiming. "A failure for a failure." Hearing that line just riles me up.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I was kind of starting to warm up to the Batmobile sections, maybe even wondering what all the fuss was about somewhat... Then I got to the underground boss. WOW. That entire section is a masterclass on how loving awful the physics on the car are. One little tap by a obstacle and it flips through a goddamn 180 instead of maybe clipping by and doing some damage like.. Any other driving game, or section in any other game ever. Perfect for a escape sequence. :fuckoff:

At least the atrocious driving sequences in Alone in the Dark were skippable. All this thread the needle bullshit is horrible using something that doesn't actually control like a car. Reminds me more of the Halo driving at this point. Aim the camera in a direction, and hope it goes that way without flipping over. :gonk:

It's some bullshit on par with the Dead Space asteroid sequence. I was toying with a NG+ run, but gently caress it, I've got zero interest in redoing that lovely sequence again.

limited fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 25, 2015

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I never had a problem with the tunneling machine boss was easier had more issues with the physical tank battles.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

limited posted:

I was kind of starting to warm up to the Batmobile sections, maybe even wondering what all the fuss was about somewhat... Then I got to the underground boss. WOW. That entire section is a masterclass on how loving awful the physics on the car are. One little tap by a obstacle and it flips through a goddamn 180 instead of maybe clipping by and doing some damage like.. Any other driving game, or section in any other game ever. Perfect for a escape sequence. :fuckoff:

At least the atrocious driving sequences in Alone in the Dark were skippable. All this thread the needle bullshit is horrible using something that doesn't actually control like a car. Reminds me more of the Halo driving at this point. Aim the camera in a direction, and hope it goes that way without flipping over. :gonk:

It's some bullshit on par with the Dead Space asteroid sequence. I was toying with a NG+ run, but gently caress it, I've got zero interest in redoing that lovely sequence again.

At least that part gives you check points on each section. They could have been really mean and made you do it all or nothing.

The way I beat it was to just sit with the car aimed down the tunnel, ready to go. Then it's just a (long) waiting game for the guy to notice you and you gun it. That was a lot easier than trying to drive around and find the nearest escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I definitely cheesed the fight that way.

• Locked thread