Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Anything wrong with mazda cx9s?
I swear I hear something about them, but can't find anything off hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I am loving my MS3. Took it in to get the EGR and serpentine done (easy!), and they found that the AC compressor is broken or breaking (I had asked them to inspect my AC because over a 150-mille drive I had a strange 10-minute period where it would only blow warm air). They quoted me $1,900 to replace all of my AC components ($1,500 if they get in there and it turns out the condenser is ok), which sort of kills my soul. Has anyone had their AC go bad on a 3/Speed 3? Any sub-$2,000 solutions?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

grahm posted:

Any sub-$2,000 solutions?

Buy the parts, do the work yourself and take it to a shop to have it charged if you don't want to invest in manifold gauges and a vacuum pump.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I was driving my MS3 earlier, thinking about how much I love driving my car. Then at a stop light, a Mazda next to me handed me a card to join their local Mazda club on Facebook. I clicked join and less than a minute later, I can't find the group. Essentially, I've already been banned.

Thanks friends!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

grahm posted:

Has anyone had their AC go bad on a 3/Speed 3? Any sub-$2,000 solutions?

Yes, but I didn't fix it. The impending high dollar fix on that was a big part of why I traded mine in. Given the wonky pressures I was seeing, I was leaning towards a system full of black death too.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, but I didn't fix it. The impending high dollar fix on that was a big part of why I traded mine in. Given the wonky pressures I was seeing, I was leaning towards a system full of black death too.

I ended up just doing it :/. $1500 but they said everything else looks good. Crossing my fingers for no more problems

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any interest in a used Auxmod? http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/

I'm about to sell my 2007 Mazda6 and I'm debating whether its worth pulling apart the dash to remove the card. If anyone wants it, PM me in the next few days.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I guess I've got it easy then, the dash on my 2011 3 pulled itself apart :downsrim:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My 2008 3 started going into limp home mode with the AT/engine lights turning on last week (P0753 code). Happens almost every time I drive. Manual mode is fine until I hit 4th gear. Brought it to the transmission shop and they were pretty honest with me, saying they thought it was a wiring or computer problem, and suggested bringing it to the local Mazda dealer because they might be able to diagnose electrical problems better.

Well, the dealer came back and said the valve body was bad, and gave an estimate of $3300 for a new transmission. That didn't please the transmission shop who are still adamant that, while the tranny isn't in great shape, it's likely not causing the issue. So now I'm in a tough situation where the shop can either put in a new transmission ($2700), or replace the TCM computer ($600) but can't say with any confidence that either will solve the issue. And apparently they can't return the TCM if that isn't the problem, which seems odd to me but whatever.

So now I'm thinking of just buying a new or used TCM and replacing it myself, then selling it if that's not the cause. Unless there is somewhere I could buy from that would let me return it. It looks pretty easy to replace and it sounds like no programming is required.

I can find a good amount of people with the same issue and trouble code online, but no consensus on what actually causes it. This is all extremely frustrating.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just saw a new MX-5 on the road in the same red that it debuted in. Looks pretty good but I want to see it in other colors.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just saw a new MX-5 on the road in the same red that it debuted in. Looks pretty good but I want to see it in other colors.

I snagged this the other day I can get a better one tomorrow

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tossing around the idea of selling my 08.5 Speed3. 49k on it, asking $13k. If you're interested drop me a line, my username at gmail. I'm in SE PA.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
Traded my old RX-8 for a Mazda3 2015 Grand Touring a few months back... Has anyone else experienced constant rebooting of the Navagation/Display? Seems to happen most often driving around town, not so much on the highway. At first I thought it might be overheating, but it happened at night the other day.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anti-Bunny posted:

Traded my old RX-8 for a Mazda3 2015 Grand Touring a few months back... Has anyone else experienced constant rebooting of the Navagation/Display? Seems to happen most often driving around town, not so much on the highway. At first I thought it might be overheating, but it happened at night the other day.

They just came out with a software update that's supposed to fix this. I got a postcard notification in the mail about a month ago. It's only happened once since the update, where it used to happen 1-2 times a week.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I just bought this three days ago:
http://i.imgur.com/qhCh1oO.jpg

2011 Mazda3 Sport, 2.5 motor, 6 speed transmission. So far I love the hell out of this car and just keep looking for excuses to drive it. It's the first car I've owned with features like Bluetooth connectivity so that's been fun to play with, and even with 55K miles the fit and finish is just leagues above anything else I've personally owned. Hard to believe it's an economy car.

That said; the only thing that worries me is I keep reading a lot of owner complaints about premature clutch failure. Is this something I need to worry about and be prepared for? My Miata has over 170k on the original clutch so I figure I know what I'm doing. I'm reading horror stories of clutches slipping after 20-30 thousand miles.

Thanks guys. I've always read great remarks about the Mazda3 but I finally get it now. :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Previa_fun posted:

That said; the only thing that worries me is I keep reading a lot of owner complaints about premature clutch failure. Is this something I need to worry about and be prepared for? My Miata has over 170k on the original clutch so I figure I know what I'm doing. I'm reading horror stories of clutches slipping after 20-30 thousand miles.

I hate to say it, but after looking around, it seems like Mazda hosed up some engineering related to the clutch assembly and isn't ready to acknowledge it as a defect yet. Most owners report smelling something burning on and off and then the clutch fails some time later. Given the burning smell I'd guess it isn't fully disengaging and slipping just enough to give the drivers a whiff of clutch death when they're stopped or moving slowly.

Mazda hasn't stepped up to officially acknowledge the problem (and may never do so) so I'd prepare for a clutch replacement. It seems that Mazda has also quietly updated the throwout bearing and other clutch parts so budget extra to fix the problem permanently.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What years does the clutch problem apply to?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

8ender posted:

I hate to say it, but after looking around, it seems like Mazda hosed up some engineering related to the clutch assembly and isn't ready to acknowledge it as a defect yet. Most owners report smelling something burning on and off and then the clutch fails some time later. Given the burning smell I'd guess it isn't fully disengaging and slipping just enough to give the drivers a whiff of clutch death when they're stopped or moving slowly.

Mazda hasn't stepped up to officially acknowledge the problem (and may never do so) so I'd prepare for a clutch replacement. It seems that Mazda has also quietly updated the throwout bearing and other clutch parts so budget extra to fix the problem permanently.

Thanks, that's what I gathered as well. It's at 55k now and holding strong, and I've come to terms with shelling out for a new clutch by this time next year. Are there any aftermarket clutches for these (non MazdaSpeed) cars?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Going to be looking at a '06 Mazda 6 wagon, V6 with 128k, anything I should be looking out for? Known issues?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I would say to evaluate the suspension. I had a 2005 6S GT sedan and traded it in at about 130K miles on the odo and my suspension was SHOT and ride was harsh. The engine still ran spun like a top and had decent grunt. The 6 speed auto had a really touchy first gear but never gave me a lick of problems during the ~4 years and ~60 or 70K miles I put on it. That 3.0 V6 is an awesome engine though, I really liked it. Changing the oil was a pain in the rear end because the filter was above an exhaust manifold and there was just enough space to pull the filter down through the gap at an angle and dump oil all over the headers so you would smell burning oil for a little bit after a change.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The add says it needs a new front strut, called the guy and he said it's making noise, but I checked rockauto and they're cheap as poo poo so no biggie. Not worried about normal suspension wear honestly, more worried about engine/trans quirks and poo poo that's not easy and/or cheap to fix.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Clearly the answer is buy the 6, add coilovers and stance it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You should then buy my MS6 and swap over everything to make an MS6 wagon like God intended.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol. I'm pretty much set on a '06 - '07, they're getting cheaper but are pretty rare, most of the wagons are the earlier ones.

This one looks REALLY sweet for $3500, but you know how going by pictures can go sometimes.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

an ms6 wagon would have been extremely my poo poo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't know if the V6 / Mazda 6 may be better but on the 3 4-bangers the engine mounts are kind of poo poo. They're a liquid-filled mount which maybe Mazda didn't have much experience with at the time? It's nothing extraordinary, just more that they're kind of a wear item.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Google Butt posted:

an ms6 wagon would have been extremely my poo poo

Someone in the UK did the engine swap but if memory serves the wagon can't be straight up swapped to AWD, it needed a fuckload of modification.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rhyno posted:

Someone in the UK did the engine swap but if memory serves the wagon can't be straight up swapped to AWD, it needed a fuckload of modification.

You could buy an AWD 6 wagon in Japan, and they're relatively common grey imports here.

Not sure how similar the system is to the one in the MS6 though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I don't know if they ever fixed it but the early (2003-5) 6s had headliner upholstery that inevitably sags and falls off. It was a manufacturing defect (something about the foam and glue not being compatible) and I don't think they ever really acknowledged it as a problem beyond "we'll be happy to sell you a new headliner for nearly $400."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

You could buy an AWD 6 wagon in Japan, and they're relatively common grey imports here.

Weren't those all auto?

dissss posted:

Not sure how similar the system is to the one in the MS6 though.

If it's in any way reliable it's nothing like the one in the MS6.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So I've got a pretty little '04 Mazda3 Hatchback that's apparently got a faulty rear air sensor. The shop wants to charge ~$350 parts/labor, but the part itself is ~$45 and the Internet claims it's a relatively easy swap in/out. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Stopped by the Minnesota State Fair and took a nice long look at the '15s and they're pretty drat sexy. New car's way out of my affordability range for the foreseeable future, but definitely will keep looking. They'd better come out with an electric by the time I come around...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

Lol. I'm pretty much set on a '06 - '07, they're getting cheaper but are pretty rare, most of the wagons are the earlier ones.

This one looks REALLY sweet for $3500, but you know how going by pictures can go sometimes.

That is an auto though, keep looking

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cugel the Clever posted:

So I've got a pretty little '04 Mazda3 Hatchback that's apparently got a faulty rear air sensor. The shop wants to charge ~$350 parts/labor, but the part itself is ~$45 and the Internet claims it's a relatively easy swap in/out. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Stopped by the Minnesota State Fair and took a nice long look at the '15s and they're pretty drat sexy. New car's way out of my affordability range for the foreseeable future, but definitely will keep looking. They'd better come out with an electric by the time I come around...

Air sensor? MAP sensor? MAF sensor? For tire pressure or what? Be a little more specific here. None of these should be that hard to fix. Tire pressure sensor you'd have to take to a tire shop, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nodoze posted:

That is an auto though, keep looking

The guy selling it is an idiot so gently caress him anyway. He raised the price $500 for replacing ONE front strut that was making noise, how the gently caress does that benefit me in any way? I really didn't want to buy from a dealer anyway so the search continues i guess.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I just finished my first road trip (about 1200 miles in 6 days) in my '15 Mazda3 and I was really impressed with how good the fuel economy was. During a 280 mile stretch of 80mph interstate, I averaged just over 36mpg, and driving around Yellowstone (lots of shorter trips, substantial elevation changes, and going no faster than 45) , I don't think I did any worse than about 45mpg, which is a nice upgrade from my old Forester that only managed mid 20's on 65mph highways.

Aside from having a little trouble with hills at 8000ft (not really Mazda's fault), the only things that got slightly annoying with the car were having to acknowledge the stupid "DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE" disclaimer that appears every time you start the car, and the fact that the shift indicator seems hell-bent on suggesting upshifts (usually 5->6) in some fairly inappropriate situations. Mazda needs to add a "Kimi Riakkonen" (Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing) setting somewhere in the car to disable some of those warnings and suggestions.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

azflyboy posted:

I just finished my first road trip (about 1200 miles in 6 days) in my '15 Mazda3 and I was really impressed with how good the fuel economy was. During a 280 mile stretch of 80mph interstate, I averaged just over 36mpg, and driving around Yellowstone (lots of shorter trips, substantial elevation changes, and going no faster than 45) , I don't think I did any worse than about 45mpg, which is a nice upgrade from my old Forester that only managed mid 20's on 65mph highways.

Aside from having a little trouble with hills at 8000ft (not really Mazda's fault), the only things that got slightly annoying with the car were having to acknowledge the stupid "DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE" disclaimer that appears every time you start the car, and the fact that the shift indicator seems hell-bent on suggesting upshifts (usually 5->6) in some fairly inappropriate situations. Mazda needs to add a "Kimi Riakkonen" (Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing) setting somewhere in the car to disable some of those warnings and suggestions.

You can SSH into the infotainment system to shorten that warning screen to a fraction of a second.

Once you're in, you can also disable the speed restrictions on nav entry and touchscreen usage, rearrange the audio sources list and re-enable wifi. There's instructions on Mazda3Hacks if you're somewhat terminal-savvy.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

azflyboy posted:

Is that milage on the 2.0 or 2.5? Most I've gotten out of the 2.5 is 31-ish

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The 2.0.

My interstate mileage was a little higher due to the fact that the drive home was a gradual descent (3000ft in 380 miles), but even on the uphill trip, I was getting somewhere in the 30's on the interstate and around 40 on state highways.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

azflyboy posted:

The 2.0.

My interstate mileage was a little higher due to the fact that the drive home was a gradual descent (3000ft in 380 miles), but even on the uphill trip, I was getting somewhere in the 30's on the interstate and around 40 on state highways.

I set the cruise control to 72mph for three hours of interstate across KS and hit 42mpg on the "average this drive."

Probably had a tailwind, but really impressed with the 3 igt hatch in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is that milage on the 2.0 or 2.5? Most I've gotten out of the 2.5 is 31-ish

I have a 2014 2.5 and recently did a trip from Seattle to south-central Minnesota recently, about 1700 miles. The car believes it got about 34 MPG at was probably an overall average speed of 78 MPH (on premo gas, lol). Seattle to Portland clocked at 39 MPG but rarely did speed go beyond 70 for that one (and not so many mountain passes).

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 7, 2015