Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010
Hmm, side 4 of Tyranny by Julian Casablancas + The Voidz had three labels on it when it arrived.

Wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't overlapped the actual playing surface. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i have a mono record that has a completely different band on side c

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I bought a CD copy of Farmhouse by Phish at a salvation army once but the cd inside was Santana - supernatural. Not sure if that was better or worse.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I bought a CD copy of Farmhouse by Phish at a salvation army once but the cd inside was Santana - supernatural. Not sure if that was better or worse.

I love Phish, but you definitely got the better end of that deal. They don't studio very well.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Rozamov/Deathkings split 7". I was surprised at how nice the package for this is, put out by Midnite Collective. It's a good pair of songs.
Outer envelope.

Jacket. The art is pretty great all over.

Insert.

Labels.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Misprintings are becoming more common as more and more records are pressed. I think I've said this before, but one of my favorite records in my collection is a Two Door Cinema Club where the A side is the normal A side and the B side is the second half of Ghostface Killah's Twelve Reasons to Die, so when you're spinning it the first half is mediocre Irish pop-rock and the second half is, you know, Ghostface. I guess there was a mix-up at the pressing plant for red vinyl that day.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Enos Cabell posted:

I love Phish, but you definitely got the better end of that deal. They don't studio very well.

I'm the exact opposite - I like most of their studio output but their live music just makes my eyes glaze over. I went to one Phish show and left about halfway through because sitting in the parking lot doing drugs was a lot more fun than listening to that incessant noodling.

Anyone else get the new Titus Andronicus? It's such a great album and the packaging is excellent. One thing that really threw me for a loop is that LP 2 is 45rpm and has sides 3/5. The other 2 LP's are 33RPM. Never seen anything like that. It took me like 10 minutes of listening to realize that it wasn't just some weird rear end voice effect they were going for.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

CRINDY posted:

Misprintings are becoming more common as more and more records are pressed. I think I've said this before, but one of my favorite records in my collection is a Two Door Cinema Club where the A side is the normal A side and the B side is the second half of Ghostface Killah's Twelve Reasons to Die, so when you're spinning it the first half is mediocre Irish pop-rock and the second half is, you know, Ghostface. I guess there was a mix-up at the pressing plant for red vinyl that day.

I had worse luck: GZA's liquid swords B side was Maroon 5. Returned that poo poo the same day.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I had worse luck: GZA's liquid swords B side was Maroon 5. Returned that poo poo the same day.

Would have kept it. Both of those sides make one amazing sex record.

Spam
Nov 28, 2010

Barry posted:

I'm the exact opposite - I like most of their studio output but their live music just makes my eyes glaze over. I went to one Phish show and left about halfway through because sitting in the parking lot doing drugs was a lot more fun than listening to that incessant noodling.

Anyone else get the new Titus Andronicus? It's such a great album and the packaging is excellent. One thing that really threw me for a loop is that LP 2 is 45rpm and has sides 3/5. The other 2 LP's are 33RPM. Never seen anything like that. It took me like 10 minutes of listening to realize that it wasn't just some weird rear end voice effect they were going for.

Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada has a 45 and a 33 side, definitely rare though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

rear end Catchcum posted:

Would have kept it. Both of those sides make one amazing sex record.

Not when you're engaged to someone who hates Maroon 5 as much as you do.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Seriously, who would want to gently caress to Maroon 5? I can't think of too many other bands that would put me less in the mood.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I gently caress to maroon 5 but then again I am Adam Levine.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

What's the best way to try and sell vinyl online if you are only going to sell two things ever and don't want to have to keep up with it because your lazy?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I have sold or gave away everything else but these two and I don't want to haul them around when I move again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Stravinsky posted:

What's the best way to try and sell vinyl online if you are only going to sell two things ever and don't want to have to keep up with it because your lazy?

Ebay, right? Biggest audience.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Discogs for sure. You can sell an individual item, pay the tax and you're done.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

In my experience eBay has been the fastest but the fees were higher.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I always see whenever I post something somewhat rare and obscure on to Discogs that I usually have an offer within a week. I just sold two random cassettes the day after I posted them. If it's ACTUALLY rare or somewhat obscure, Discogs is the place to get attention.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

WASDF posted:

I always see whenever I post something somewhat rare and obscure on to Discogs that I usually have an offer within a week. I just sold two random cassettes the day after I posted them. If it's ACTUALLY rare or somewhat obscure, Discogs is the place to get attention.

I'd imagine it's due to the wantlist and the emails generated by new items for sale on your wantlist.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Barry posted:

I just looked up Phish on youtube to see if I would like any of their music. I don't think I saw a single video shorter than 1 1/2 hours on the first page. No loving thank you

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ElGroucho posted:

I just looked up Phish on youtube to see if I would like any of their music. I don't think I saw a single video shorter than 1 1/2 hours on the first page. No loving thank you

It's just like, concert clips or sets... It's not like Phish songs are an hour long. I could find 2 hour clips on YouTube of AC/DC but that doesn't mean it's one song.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

That's a stupid way to think about music.

Anyway I think I will try discogs thanks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ElGroucho posted:

Guess that means you'd take the Santana

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Barry posted:

I'd imagine it's due to the wantlist and the emails generated by new items for sale on your wantlist.

This is the most annoying thing because of sellers who constantly relist their items. I've narrowed my list down to the most absurdly obscure releases because I got sick of a few jerks doing that.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

ElGroucho posted:

lmao what the gently caress dude

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I could never listen to them because I find Adam Levine's voice to be so incredibly obnoxious. It just sounds so wrong, almost like a Chipmunk 45 being played at 33 1/3. It just has that weird tonality.

It's the uncanny valley of voices.

The whole thing just sounds really cold and professional. Like, Maroon 5 is the music that robots would make.

I'll give the robots credit though - I do like "This Love." Aside from the fact that it is a well written the song, the whole thing feels like it has a little room to breathe. There's an actual dynamic to the song, and it sounds like something that approaches humanity.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
So do they just not do single songs or what

genuinely curious, what is the average length of an album song, and why isn't anybody in phish tube posting singles

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ElGroucho posted:

genuinely curious, what is the average length of an album song, and why isn't anybody in phish tube posting singles

Phish has some problems for sure.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Discogs is great for selling, ebay is terrible for and to individual sellers.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ElGroucho posted:

It's like the Grateful Dead, except not quite as good. They have written plenty of normal length songs, and they do long extended live sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMjUR1ga5yM

This is the only song of their's I ever heard on the radio.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I've also heard Sample in a Jar and Farmhouse on the radio.

I heard Free also, when the album Billy Breathes came out. I hadn't been into Phish long and was really excited for that album, and was really disappointed.

Phish is my favorite band that has the most songs that I absolutely loathe. Most bands that I like I will tolerate or like everything on the albums. Phish sets themselves apart. For every song I absolutely love, there's a song that I can barely listen to.

Rift and Hoist are my favorite 2 albums. Those might not be the cool choices the dirty hippies would make, but I have no idea.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this is one of the first Phish things I ever heard and probably still my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRnueJP2k9A

I like listening to their live sets in the background while I'm working, probably wouldn't go to a show though (don't think I could get high enough to make me able to deal with it for that long)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ElGroucho posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phish_discography

cosmicjim posted:

I've also heard Sample in a Jar and Farmhouse on the radio.

I heard Free also, when the album Billy Breathes came out. I hadn't been into Phish long and was really excited for that album, and was really disappointed.

Phish is my favorite band that has the most songs that I absolutely loathe. Most bands that I like I will tolerate or like everything on the albums. Phish sets themselves apart. For every song I absolutely love, there's a song that I can barely listen to.

Rift and Hoist are my favorite 2 albums. Those might not be the cool choices the dirty hippies would make, but I have no idea.

Totally agree - for every great track, there's at least one real stinker. I think Junta is my favorite album of theirs, Picture of Nectar is probably second.

I had the distinct pleasure of going to college in Indiana in the 98-03 timeframe and it was de rigueur for all my stoner friends to listen to incredible amounts of Phish, Rusted Root, Moe, Stringcheese, Widespread Panic, DMB, Umphreys, etc. Any lovely jam band imaginable, I've been through multiple tours of their entire discography. I'm surprised I made it out without any long term psychological damage.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Listened to a full set. I guess I'm just a piece of poo poo guys, because I don't get the appeal.

Combine the laid back boredom of a soundtrack from a movie based in New Orleans + long term noodling of a jam band - any sense of danger or escalating stakes you would get from a jazz band = Phish

Out before I get called an idiot, peace

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ElGroucho posted:

Listened to a full set. I guess I'm just a piece of poo poo guys, because I don't get the appeal.

Combine the laid back boredom of a soundtrack from a movie based in New Orleans + long term noodling of a jam band - any sense of danger or escalating stakes you would get from a jazz band = Phish

Any takes on 90's Santana? I'm curious.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ElGroucho posted:

No you're right on the money. Phish is just a bunch of lame rear end zombie noise for people who smoke too much weed.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Any takes on 90's Santana? I'm curious.

90's Santana was mediocre, but only in comparison to his younger self. I guess compared to the other pop garbage out at the time, it was ok, but he wasn't exactly doing Celia Cruz levels of authenticity at that point. I can't fault him for trying to make some goddamn money off of white moms though.

I'd say the Santana CD is preferable, mostly because at least my wife will listen to it while doing dishes, as opposed to Phish, which she would probably characterize as "dude strokin' his own boner" music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dGh1iEmCY
Gonna listen to this to get some goddamn ritmo back

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 28, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ElGroucho posted:

90's Santana was mediocre, but only in comparison to his younger self. I guess compared to the other pop garbage out at the time, it was ok, but he wasn't exactly doing Celia Cruz levels of authenticity at that point. I can't fault him for trying to make some goddamn money off of white moms though.

I'd say the Santana CD is preferable, mostly because at least my wife will listen to it while doing dishes, as opposed to Phish, which she would probably characterize as "dude strokin' his own boner" music.

Farmhouse is a pretty tight little record, though, with a couple of good ballads. It does not have Rob Thomas on it though. Plus or minus? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

ElGroucho posted:

Nope, pretty sure that's the prevailing opinion.