Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

I didn't know Emo Philips did cosplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MindlessHavok posted:

That's exactly what it is. What are you thinking it is?

:agreed:

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

MindlessHavok posted:

Obv an older Harry Potter

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vanderdeath posted:

The books'll never get finished,

Instead of getting back to the main story line and writing book 6, he's apparently decided that writing side-line/other stories is more fun or something, because in October of this year the book "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" comes out. Initially I thought it was book 6, and I was happy, but then I actually looked at it, and it's set 100 years before the current story line. Even better, it's the first of THREE prequels.

Dear George. gently caress you, finish the first story before writing a trilogy of prequels you lazy bastard.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Locator posted:

Instead of getting back to the main story line and writing book 6, he's apparently decided that writing side-line/other stories is more fun or something, because in October of this year the book "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" comes out. Initially I thought it was book 6, and I was happy, but then I actually looked at it, and it's set 100 years before the current story line. Even better, it's the first of THREE prequels.

Dear George. gently caress you, finish the first story before writing a trilogy of prequels you lazy bastard.

That book is a collection of his Dunk & Egg stories which were written years ago, dude. I don't disagree that his schedule is ridiculous, but it's not like he's writing a bunch of other books in the meantime.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

MindlessHavok posted:

I actually thought it was a pun on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizadora at first but DumbleDora seems more likely as the other one was only a thing in the UK.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The Locator posted:

Neil Gaiman says shut up.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Was doing my occasional trawl through DX.com and found something for very cheap, will do for an upcoming party :o:

They seem to have gotten a cease & desist or something since I bought, the item page has vanished from the site :spidey:

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Neil Gaiman also married Amanda Palmer, so why would you listen to anything he says?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah Gaiman has some strange opinions sometimes. Like, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is a good book but his jacket quote for it calls it the greatest English fantasy novel of the last fifty years or something insane like that.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah Gaiman has some strange opinions sometimes. Like, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is a good book but his jacket quote for it calls it the greatest English fantasy novel of the last fifty years or something insane like that.

And in a world where Terry Pratchett existed, that just couldn't be true.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

still doesn't make Martin your bitch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hakkesshu posted:

That book is a collection of his Dunk & Egg stories which were written years ago, dude. I don't disagree that his schedule is ridiculous, but it's not like he's writing a bunch of other books in the meantime.

For whatever reason I'd never heard of the Dunk & Egg stories before this. Had no idea they existed.

I don't know him, nor do I really care what he says.

a kitten posted:

True enough, but also doesn't mean I can't grouch about him not finishing the books that I want to read right now damnit!

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Instead of a pointless derail, let's enjoy some Cosplay:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

That's true, but it's also funny how much easier it is for a story to allude to some really epic poo poo coming up (next time! stay tuned!) than it is to deliver it, and how people will be gulled every single time

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Topical, also kinda looks like Sansa which would make it doubly-topical.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

swamp waste posted:

That's true, but it's also funny how much easier it is for a story to allude to some really epic poo poo coming up (next time! stay tuned!) than it is to deliver it, and how people will be gulled every single time

Don't forget that there's always someone waiting in the wings to jump on someone who feels dissatisfied by being suckered with a classic "Y'know it's all about the journey, not the destination."

Remember, a well-timed aphorism can excuse anything.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

a kitten posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to be disappointed after years of waiting for a conclusion. I've read the books but I have friends who read A Game of Thrones in middle school and we're all 30 or older now. Next year will mark the 20th anniversary of AGoT and there's still no end in sight.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I couldn't get through Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and I'm a fan of Romantic and Victorian literature. It was just so...dry.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

me irl when nerds keep derailing the thread

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yesssss more of this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to be disappointed after years of waiting for a conclusion. I've read the books but I have friends who read A Game of Thrones in middle school and we're all 30 or older now. Next year will mark the 20th anniversary of AGoT and there's still no end in sight.

The defense against this is "Wheel of Time blah blah blah other series with 20+ year waits for resolutions blah blah blah."

No one with sense is whining because they feel GRRM is obligated to finish the story, but anyone who can't see that dragging a novel series out for so long--even with justifiable reasons for delays like a lack of creative inspiration--is a prick move is every bit as selfish and idiotic.

Yeah can we have more of this?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Now I got the drat music stuck in my head.

Share my pain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCenv7wPFE

Blackchamber has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jul 26, 2015

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Took a minute to realize what this actually was. Maybe Comedy Bang Bang was born from the idea of "what if Mr. Rogers and Bob Ross were best buds?"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

mind the walrus posted:

Don't forget that there's always someone waiting in the wings to jump on someone who feels dissatisfied by being suckered with a classic "Y'know it's all about the journey, not the destination."

Remember, a well-timed aphorism can excuse anything.

People say this for the dumbest reasons.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

drat, those are spot on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Who the Christ thought cosplaying as Rolf Harris in the 1970s was a good idea?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

Who the Christ thought cosplaying as Rolf Harris in the 1970s was a good idea?

Can't tell if you're joking but that's Fred Rogers aka Mr Rogers from the TV show Mr Rogers neighborhood

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yes but why is Dr Herbert West from Re-Animator in amongst a group of TV presenter characters????

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

She's got the facial expression down, too. That's great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yes but why is Dr Herbert West from Re-Animator in amongst a group of TV presenter characters????

That's Bill Nye. You know, the science guy.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

That's Bill Nye. You know, the science guy.

Is he the one next to Bill Paxton from True Lies

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dr_Amazing posted:

People say this for the dumbest reasons.

Mainly to excuse writers who can't write endings that provide closure.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

mind the walrus posted:

No one with sense is whining because they feel GRRM is obligated to finish the story, but anyone who can't see that dragging a novel series out for so long--even with justifiable reasons for delays like a lack of creative inspiration--is a prick move is every bit as selfish and idiotic.

That's not what i meant at all. It's on you not to consume a ton of poo poo you don't enjoy in order to get to some always-promised, never-delivered justification. Don't worry about the journey and the destination, because it's all entertainment, it asks nothing of you beyond keeping your eyes open. Thinking about media as something to joylessly shovel down so you can get to the "end" will sap every bit of pleasure from it and leave you unsatisfied when it inevitably-- literally always-- can't deliver the transcendence it has implied is coming. This is something i figured out when i was like 14 and the x-files started to suck really bad

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

swamp waste posted:

That's not what i meant at all. It's on you not to consume a ton of poo poo you don't enjoy in order to get to some always-promised, never-delivered justification. Don't worry about the journey and the destination, because it's all entertainment, it asks nothing of you beyond keeping your eyes open. Thinking about media as something to joylessly shovel down so you can get to the "end" will sap every bit of pleasure from it and leave you unsatisfied when it inevitably-- literally always-- can't deliver the transcendence it has implied is coming. This is something i figured out when i was like 14 and the x-files started to suck really bad

Yeah, I was a really pretentious teenager too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I was a really pretentious teenager too.

Haha

The best Quiet cosplay

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

swamp waste posted:

On one hand yeah it's dumb to keep reading/watching something if you're not enjoying it.

On the other hand I sat through the last season of Lost, the last couple of seasons of 24 and Prison-break, and read the last 2 Sword of Truth books because I'm a big dumb baby that wants to see how it all ends.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
PARTY ON, DUDES!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That girl would make a pretty good Rei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
because she doesn't look over age or because she's almost naked?

• Locked thread