Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TTBF posted:

The converter isn't up to date for the current CK2 and EU4 maps last I checked, so it doesn't work.
oh lame. how long has that been the case? since horse lords came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doctor Schnabel posted:

oh lame. how long has that been the case? since horse lords came out?

Basically every time either game is updated, patched, DLC'd or looked at too hard the converter stops working. The one guy tasked to maintain it (among other jobs) can't really keep up.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I converted a couple games last night from CKII (base Charlie/base Old Gods) to use as a base for the random nation feature (Christianity in peril!) and it seemed to work fine. One game converted without proper localization, but that's always been a random problem.

I didn't look closely, but they seemed to convert over okay, including Manachianism in the new central asian provinces and such. Worked fine for nation randomizing.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
My first attempt at Ironman was just wiped out by a CTD during the autosave :( guess thats what i get for playing with the beta patch

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Bort Bortles posted:

Venice in northern Europe? And you need advice? It takes a while (I dont remember how long) for discoveries to spread. If you have designs on Egypt you could go through it and build boats on the other side. Or take the Exploration idea. Or both, heh.

Oops. Geography fail. I got the Baltic confused with the Bosphorus. I meant, that I control the Aegean coast all the way to Constantinople. I want to aim for Alexandria next, but the super Mamluks have giant stacks of dudes compared to me (as Venice) and since I can't navigate around Africa, I can't get ships into the Gulf of Suez. Taking the Egypt area and then building ships on that side is a good idea though. Once I own territory over there will the Terra Incognita move out farther? Also, can I just conquer the horn of Africa area or does it have to be colonized? I don't have any of the colonization ideas. I would love to take some provinces over there and set up a trade company.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Acceptableloss posted:

Oops. Geography fail. I got the Baltic confused with the Bosphorus. I meant, that I control the Aegean coast all the way to Constantinople. I want to aim for Alexandria next, but the super Mamluks have giant stacks of dudes compared to me (as Venice) and since I can't navigate around Africa, I can't get ships into the Gulf of Suez. Taking the Egypt area and then building ships on that side is a good idea though. Once I own territory over there will the Terra Incognita move out farther? Also, can I just conquer the horn of Africa area or does it have to be colonized? I don't have any of the colonization ideas. I would love to take some provinces over there and set up a trade company.

Trade companies are very specific areas. There are two in Africa, but they're the Atlantic and Indian Ocean coasts. The seas around the Arabian Peninsula aren't part of it. Outside of the African trade companies, the trade companies start in west India and go east from there.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Trujillo posted:

We're getting close to the start of the next MP goon game, August 1st. It's getting full but there's still some empty areas for players who haven't signed up yet. We could use another player in central Germany, either a Hesse, Palatinate, or Saxony or a country in central Germany of that caliber. The only horde we have is the Timurids, so there's room for a Kazan, Golden Horde or Crimea. Yemen or Oman are available and in West Africa you would have a quiet game for the first few sessions but Mali and Songhai are available. Chances are someone won't be able to make it on the day of so we might still have European countries available the day of.

Anyone who wants to sign up can do so here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730493

Just include your steam and what country you want or if you just want to fill in for someone. This'll be our first mp game using common sense, should be good.

Come join us in the HRE, I promise it's not all going to go horribly wrong! This is our first run with CS so it's going to be eventful.

it is almost certainly going to all go horribly wrong

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Baronjutter posted:

Basically every time either game is updated, patched, DLC'd or looked at too hard the converter stops working. The one guy tasked to maintain it (among other jobs) can't really keep up.
Back before they announced it I always said Paradox knew this would happen and knew better than to make an official converter. :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Christ, this sucks:

I have .20% inflation per year, and I'm sitting at 20% inflation. And I know there is an event called "Financial Ruin" or something where if you have over 20 inflation and a loan, you get this horrible event that adds even more inflation, takes 1000 gold, and hits your stability by three. I'm going to get the inflation reduction idea from Economics to at least slow it down, but I'm wondering how this looks. GB is allied to Spain which is a pain in my rear end, but at least I've taken a chunk out of British Colombia after buying Spain out of the war. I'm allied to Portugal mostly to keep them off my back right now, and Portuguese Brazil is also disloyal enough that they will let me support their independence.

I'm going to go Defensive next I think since that will synergize nicely with all the mountainous terrain. With 78 land units and 35 galleons it's really tough to win these wars, and I don't think this Sun God run is looking so good. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, and need to wait for GB and Spain to get into a war back on the mainland or something.

My heir is a 6/1/0 which I'm... not really looking forward to.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 25, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Why aren't you using your admin points? Tech's important, but not worth massive inflation.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Back To 99 posted:

Why aren't you using your admin points? Tech's important, but not worth massive inflation.

I'm using it just to stay under 20% inflation.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Node posted:

Christ, this sucks:

I have .20% inflation per year, and I'm sitting at 20% inflation. And I know there is an event called "Financial Ruin" or something where if you have over 20 inflation and a loan, you get this horrible event that adds even more inflation, takes 1000 gold, and hits your stability by three. I'm going to get the inflation reduction idea from Economics to at least slow it down, but I'm wondering how this looks. GB is allied to Spain which is a pain in my rear end, but at least I've taken a chunk out of British Colombia after buying Spain out of the war. I'm allied to Portugal mostly to keep them off my back right now, and Portuguese Brazil is also disloyal enough that they will let me support their independence.

I'm going to go Defensive next I think since that will synergize nicely with all the mountainous terrain. With 78 land units and 35 galleons it's really tough to win these wars, and I don't think this Sun God run is looking so good. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, and need to wait for GB and Spain to get into a war back on the mainland or something.

Containment could have gone a lot better, but I'd say your main problem was going Quantity instead of Economics. You need that inflation killing idea as soon as possible, and you need military tech parity as soon as possible. Going quantity delayed both of those. You already outnumber the Europeans just by virtue of them having to ship in troops, so as long as you keep near your force limit (and keep them in two stacks close to each other) you will do fine there. Even if they crush you in a few major battles (manpower aside) you will be able to rebuild your army before they ship any more troops in.

e: Also you have two options with that heir. The first is to use those 6 admin points a month to their fullest. The other is to make him a general, put him in charge of an army, and hope the RNG kills him.

e2: Also it might help to understand how inflation works. It's not just that you have gold producign provinces that makes it so bad, what makes it so bad is that the inflation increase is related to how much of a % of your total income is from those provinces. The more money you get from taxation, production, trade, and vassals the less inflation you will get from the same amount of gold producing provinces. Due to development in the New World being so low, you have basically nothing but those provinces as your income. Try and dump some diplomatic points into cocoa provinces to increase your production income. It won't decrease your inflation but it will decrease how much inflation you are getting.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 25, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I'm playing the Ottos for the first time to get some achievements, what's the deal with The Janissaries? I've seen some people mention them/talk about them and just got the first event. Am I good to keep this chain going if I can afford each thing? Or is this something that I'm better off ditching as soon as I can in order to avoid some massive disaster/revolt down the line?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

VDay posted:

So I'm playing the Ottos for the first time to get some achievements, what's the deal with The Janissaries? I've seen some people mention them/talk about them and just got the first event. Am I good to keep this chain going if I can afford each thing? Or is this something that I'm better off ditching as soon as I can in order to avoid some massive disaster/revolt down the line?

This is a real "Well, it depends" question. My first time, the Janissaries never bugged me as long as I had money to give them, and I had a ton of money to give them. The second time I played the Ottomans I wanted to be rid of them as soon as I could. I'd suggest sticking it out a bit to see how it goes for you.

e: Oh yeah, it was the leader skills that hosed me over. I got really lucky that first game.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 25, 2015

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

TTBF posted:

This is a real "Well, it depends" question. My first time, the Janissaries never bugged me as long as I had money to give them, and I had a ton of money to give them. The second time I played the Ottomans I wanted to be rid of them as soon as I could. I'd suggest sticking it out a bit to see how it goes for you.

The money is nothing compared to what you can be making as the Ottomans. The real problem is the Janissary disaster that ticks up if your leader doesn't have a five or better in any stat and you have less than 70 army tradition. You have to war a lot to keep it from firing.

e meant to quot other dude

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

The real problem is the Janissary disaster that ticks up if your leader doesn't have a five or better in any stat and you have less than 70 army tradition.

how would this ever happen as the ottomans

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I guess what I'm really asking is, is there any kind of big apocalyptic "Now you're super hosed" event that eventually fires? I would normally just go for it and see what happens but I'm going for the 1,001 provinces achievement so I'm looking to avoid having some doomsday 100k rebel uprising screw me over 250 years from now. Sounds like it's something you can handle fairly slowly though, so I'll just go for it for now.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Agnostalgia posted:

how would this ever happen as the ottomans

I had to pick the defensive idea group to get the extra 1 AT to wait out a regency once, but yeah, the Janissaries are a good thing to have as the Ottomans. I have seen the disaster fire on the AI a bunch of times since the latest big patch.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is there any way to see--ahead of declaring war--what the total peace cost of force vassalizing a nation would be (ie, if its going to be more than 100% WS)?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is there any way to see--ahead of declaring war--what the total peace cost of force vassalizing a nation would be (ie, if its going to be more than 100% WS)?

Select one of their provinces, hover over the star. It'll show what the total warscore cost is for all their provinces.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Node posted:

Christ, this sucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3sj-TSbWjs

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Haha so I took the Janissaries event and 6 months later my 35-year-old 5/5/6 ruler dies and I immediately have to deal with the potential disaster. Luckily I'm about to go to war with the Mamluks anyway, but funny how often poo poo like that just lines up.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Node posted:

I'm using it just to stay under 20% inflation.

I always get that awful "autonomy everywhere or -100 admin" event if I go over like 5 inflation so I habitually just keep below there now

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Not sure exactly what transpired in this part of the world before it was revealed:

but honestly, Ming exploding into confetti needs to happen more often.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Decided to try out Mutapa to see how their new ideas work and man is that an easy game so far.

Granted, I converted to sunni asap but you make so much money that you can almost ignore force limits and just roll over people. I took economic as my first idea and then exploration which means that it is 1510 and Portugal are already in the Cape. Guess I'll just have to kick them out.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Not sure exactly what transpired in this part of the world before it was revealed:

More often? Post-AoW Ming imploding happened nearly every game. It's funny the first few times but after that it gets a bit old. I think they've buffed them a bit in CS though, so that Ming imploding, while still possible, isn't a given.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

East Asia is always such a border clusterfuck whenever I get there. In my game, Japan is in South Korea while Hosokawa managed to conquer the entire homeland.

It's like Iberia without lucky nations; Castille just can't keep Aragon down for good and there'll be these terracotta-colored pockets of resistance along the Mediterranean side.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Uh.

Okay so maybe they changed some things up but now whenever I try to start a game as sweden I get swamped with peasant rebellions.

I break the union, beat denmark and then get rewarded with 40 regiments of peasants breaking all of my provinces. Either I fight and lose or accept their demands and starve to death beceause they raise autonomy everywhere.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
My Tabarestan -> Persia game just took a strange turn when a band of revolutionary rebels spawned in the Hindukush:

Note the date.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Affi posted:

Uh.

Okay so maybe they changed some things up but now whenever I try to start a game as sweden I get swamped with peasant rebellions.

I break the union, beat denmark and then get rewarded with 40 regiments of peasants breaking all of my provinces. Either I fight and lose or accept their demands and starve to death beceause they raise autonomy everywhere.
Maybe they liked being part of the union, ever think of that? :colbert:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hello, does anyone have a link for the best up to date EU IV beginner's guide and or beginner's lets play? Got this game during last Steam sale and have all DLC including common sense. Would like somewhat of a quick starter guide. I have played EU 1 and 2, played 3 lightly.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

MikeC posted:

Hello, does anyone have a link for the best up to date EU IV beginner's guide and or beginner's lets play? Got this game during last Steam sale and have all DLC including common sense. Would like somewhat of a quick starter guide. I have played EU 1 and 2, played 3 lightly.

Watch a few episodes of an Arumba Lets Play on youtube. He generally explains why he is doing something. Make sure what you watch is common sense or newer as there was some fairly large changes in the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mygna posted:

My Tabarestan -> Persia game just took a strange turn when a band of revolutionary rebels spawned in the Hindukush:

Note the date.

Yeah, had this happen in a Florence game too. I was already regretting taking the decision to turn into Tuscany (because it switched me from a republic to a monarchy), so I intentionally let them take my provinces.

I still wish that forming Italy didn't turn you into a monarchy. Republics for life :911:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Donald Duck posted:

Watch a few episodes of an Arumba Lets Play on youtube. He generally explains why he is doing something. Make sure what you watch is common sense or newer as there was some fairly large changes in the game.
Do note however that he's only semi-literate, so there might be a disconnect between what he says and what you see.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MikeC posted:

I'd recommend just diving in, maybe try Ironman and go for some of the easier achievements. Portugal is a relaxed start.

Some random bits of advice:

-Monarch Points (MPs) are used to buy tech, ideas, cores, stability, etc and are generally way more valuable than gold. It's often better to hoard MPs and buy techs when you get a -5% or better discount for having neighbors buy that tech ahead of you. In general be stingy with them.
-Taking provinces generates Aggressive Expansion (AE). Nations who have over 30 AE opinion toward you may join coalitions against you, so keep an eye on the Coalition map mode so you're not getting too greedy. Especially true in Europe and the Holy Roman Empire.
-Holding uncored provinces gives Overextension (OE). Going over 100% OE causes Really Bad Events to occur and you should definitely avoid that, but 100% OE is pretty hard to hit unless/until you're taking large chunks of land off several enemies in short succession.
-Don't buy Stability unless you're in the negative and it's hurting you. -1 or even -2 Stability doesn't hurt that much, and there isn't much benefit to pushing it positive. Events that reduce stability occur more frequently at higher stability, it'll push you back toward 0.
-Don't fall behind in Military tech or you'll get stomped in battles. It's okay to postpone Diplomatic tech in order to point-dump a Diplomatic idea line unless you're a colonizer in which case you want Dip tech 7 ASAP.

Edit
-Manpower can also be really limiting and you want to conserve it, one of the best ways to do this is to mix in mercenary infantry. Costs more but effectively turns cash into manpower.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 25, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think for a beginner the interface is the biggest hurdle. I'd say pick a smallish nation and cheat power points and money like crazy while you get used to where all the buttons are. The finer points of balance aren't very important for a while.

e: like I really don't think someone just learning to play should be worrying about mixing in mercs or remembering exactly 30 AE. I remember for the first few hours I played this one of the bigger things I was worrying about was "should I core everything?? these lands over in Africa aren't "core parts of my nation", if I make them cores will people in my homelands get upset?"

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 25, 2015

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

toasterwarrior posted:

I still wish that forming Italy didn't turn you into a monarchy. Republics for life :911:

Literally everyone does, I don't know why Paradox hasn't changed it yet.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Kinda irritated.

I'm playing 13 colonies, and my overlord England is involved in a war with some Mexican minor that has been sitting at 83% for years and years. I'm not involved in the war in any way. But I'm getting a 'call for peace' modifier that is now up to .43 a month. I can't make peace because I'm a subject nation and my war exhaustion is climbing skyhigh. Pretty sure this counts as a bug. :mad:

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Kinda irritated.

I'm playing 13 colonies, and my overlord England is involved in a war with some Mexican minor that has been sitting at 83% for years and years. I'm not involved in the war in any way. But I'm getting a 'call for peace' modifier that is now up to .43 a month. I can't make peace because I'm a subject nation and my war exhaustion is climbing skyhigh. Pretty sure this counts as a bug. :mad:

I've noticed this seems to have gotten worse in Common Sense. I'm regularly peacing out of ally wars now due to them sitting around for years and years to make sure they seperate peace every single person in the war. But they won't peace them out without 100% each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Donald Duck posted:

I've noticed this seems to have gotten worse in Common Sense. I'm regularly peacing out of ally wars now due to them sitting around for years and years to make sure they seperate peace every single person in the war. But they won't peace them out without 100% each.

Yeah, I'll probably tag over and fix the war or something, but it's pretty frustrating. A war I didn't start, can't end, that's taking place thousands of miles away, that not a single soldier of mine has fought or died in, is causing my country to melt from massive overwhelming war exhaustion.

• Locked thread